main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The One Canon

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sinrebirth , Aug 18, 2015.

1. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    I agree on everybody's basic points.

A few years ago I brought up some older Bantam books in conversation with a friend and she responded with, "That's too bad that those books aren't canon anymore." My response was, "Why would it matter? It's all fiction. Head-canon."

I keep things simple. It's all Star Wars. If you're relying on an outside source to be the arbiter of what is "good" or "not good", or "real" and "not real" -- for your own personal enjoyment -- you've just become your own gatekeeper.

Sure, we all have our favorite authors, directors, and other creatives (or even the way things were/are under certain companies), but it's all a kaleidoscopic tapestry of tens of thousands of people crafting stories out of their love for this universe and even if some may not always be our cup of tea, it's intellectually dishonest to say, "That's not Star Wars."

Last edited: Feb 4, 2024
  2. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
  3. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    I don't mentally jump through twenty spinning hoops on fire -- to explain Ben Solo, Ben Skywalker, Jacen, Jaina, and Anakin Solo coexisting on one timeline -- for nothing.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2024
    MercenaryAce and Sinrebirth like this.
  4. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    The entire usage of the term 'canon' was created by the first true fandom - the Baker Street Irregulars.
    Some fans, like myself, like trying to see where it all fits together - it's a fun activity. It's also not for everyone. And that's okay! The existence of people interested in canon doesn't detract from anyone else's enjoyment - unless they are behaving poorly towards other fans about it. But that's true of any POV in fandom.

QuinlanSolo likes this.
  5. Irredeemable Fanboy

Irredeemable Fanboy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 27, 2020
    It's also not like OneCanon retcons are much more outlandish than the ones from Lucasfilm themselves.

QuinlanSolo likes this.
  6. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    They're relatively tame comparatively.

chuckles

7. HMTE

HMTE Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 7, 2021
    When it comes to Star Wars in general sometimes it's best to just embrace the absurd and outlandish.

The trick is writing it well. Any plot point, in my opinion, no matter how objectively ridiculous, can be pulled off if the writing is good enough.

8. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Case in point the original run of Aphra. They had a sentient Jedi AI and it works. If you do. Or think that’s goofy as hell I don’t know what to say. Give me goofy, but give me good.

it’s really hard to disappoint me when it comes to Star Wars. I can count on my fingers the Star Wars stories I don’t like and I have read hundreds.

Dream-Thinker, Sinrebirth and HMTE like this.
  9. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    *counts one finger out for one story*

*memories swell of the terrible*

*cuts off finger*

*feels better*

10. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    *watches 2 fingers regrow in its place and wonders if he overdosed in his rituals again...

Gesendet von meinem FP3 mit Tapatalk

Force Smuggler likes this.
  11. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Or he's secretly a Time Lord within the first 15 hours of his regeneration. :p

12. GrandMoffTrachta

GrandMoffTrachta Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 11, 2022
    The Executor-class Arbitrator was not sucked into a black hole. It vanished into the Deep Core (which is fraught with black holes) and formed the vanguard of the Shadow Hand fleet. She was lost during the Imperial Mutiny in an unknown (to the NR) battle.

Sinrebirth and Sturm Antilles like this.
  13. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    One Canon ended up with far too many candidates for the 3 unnamed ESSDs in the Shadow Fleet, because of placing Canon post-Endor Legends post-Byss.

It could be the Annihilator or Arbitrator, arguably the Eclipse or Ravager, and then we have X1’s ESSD (which I assume was called Avarice), and Delvardus’s ESSD Night Hammer.

But I do assume the Arbitrator’s black hole fate took place post-Byss so that’s fine at least.

GrandMoffTrachta likes this.
  14. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Couldn't it be many were renamed after something as climatic as RotJ or DE to 1) confuse the enemy about real ship numbers in service 2) thwart off other warlords claims on ships and 3) in general to symbolise a new beginning of a new Second Imperium?

GrandMoffTrachta likes this.
  15. GrandMoffTrachta

GrandMoffTrachta Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 11, 2022
    Maybe so. The Executor-class had a long history of technical misdirection. Also in Legends I recall Palpatine stashed a few in the Unknown Regions? I'm assuming they were either lost to some alien threat(s) or lost during Shadow Hand.

16. HMTE

HMTE Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 7, 2021
    So, I've been thinking about recent events from the Bad Batch and how they tie into the greater concept of the One Canon.
    The big issue Project Necromancer seems to be going through at the moment is, not the creation of clones, but the creation of a clone with a positive M-count. In other words, replicating a person is easy. Replicating force sensitivity isn't.

And that actually tracks very well with something Rahm Kota said in the Force Unleashed II. When Starkiller confessed he was a clone of the original, Kota discounted that idea immediately, saying it was impossible to clone Jedi. So, obviously it isn't impossible, but very tricky and prone to trial and error, with little margin for mistakes.

Could the difficulty of creating a force sensitive clone as strong as the original explain why Starkiller doesn't appear again after The Force Unleashed II? Could the clone Starkiller have been genetically unstable to the point where, after the events of TFU II, he started to die because his body was starting to degrade?

And if that's the case, how long would Joruus C'baoth have survived if he had succeeded in his plan to mentally dominate everyone in the galaxy? Maybe he could have body-surfed to Jaina or Jacen if he'd captured them, and survived that way. But its interesting to consider that in both Legends and Canon trying to "blunt force" immortality via cloning always leads to some sort of drawback. Joruus was insane, Palpatine's bodies didn't last. Doesn't look good for Starkiller.
    [/SPOILER}

Chrissonofpear2 and QuinlanSolo like this.
  17. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    The issue with cloning is that the Force in earliest EU sources was portrayed as not inheritable and rather choosing its vessels. Forcesensitive parents does not ensure a forcesensitive child. Likewise not forcesensitive parents can get a child with Forcesensitivity. Jedi bloodlines did exist but were supposed to be very rare and more special then like with Chosen Ones.

Hence cloning which is like parents having a child but artificilally did not ensure a forcesensitive clone.

They can bypass that by either cloning so many times until one turns up forcesensitive, but to get one as Forcesensitive as the original is even more difficult than just getting one who is.

Starkillerclones may be plenty but only few who got the Force and fewer at the known level of the games.

Another trick may be to get access to a known longer running Jedi bloodline that has heightened chance to produce forcesensitive results and either splice it into the genome one wants to clone or strandcast.

Maybe there also are other bloodlines of non Jedi that work likewise. Especially those of lucky or very special people like Solo or Fett. The Force expressing itself differently but still genetically similiar to Jedi bloodlines.

Why though then Omega is more special and needed than other Fett clones?

Well Fett clones could somehow only be cloned from Jango or Boba. Cloning from an altered clone was possible but with less good results as per Legends. So if Omega is like Bobas sister, an unaltered clone, she is special. Unlike her ageaccelerated adult Sisters!

18. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    In 2 BBY, after being saved during an attack by Moff Kalast on the ISD Avenger, a large delegation of Twi'leks led by Cham Syndulla onboard the Corvette Karinne agree to officially join the Rebel Alliance.

Just prior to Kalast's defection in the weeks before the Battle of Yavin, he allows mercenary Kyle Katarn and several Bothan agents to secretly infiltrate a restricted section of the Avenger and steal Death Star datacodes that are later linked to the set of plans at Danuta, Toprawa, and Scarif.

(This ties together Y-wing Historical Combat Mission #3 - "S.O.S. From Corvette Karinne" from X-wing, as well as background and missions featuring Moff Kalast from Empire At War, Cham Syndulla's Twi'lek rebels seen in Star Wars Rebels, and the "Level 0" demo that was recently released as a playable mission in Dark Forces Remaster.)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2024
  19. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    @Sturm Antilles what do you believe was the final fate of the Avenger? I’m mildly preferring Veers took it into the Unknown Regions and was reported dead at Balmorra.

20. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    That would certainly be a preferable fate to his demotion and rather pathetic death as depicted in the Dark Empire II audio drama.

I felt like his character deserved more. It's funny how this highlights the differences of approach between Veitch and Zahn. Whereas Veitch kind of disrespectfully tosses Veers aside in an offscreen and mostly meaningless death (scarcely better than Rian Johnson did for Ackbar), Zahn takes one of the few opportunities to give Veers extras gravitas in the serialized "Side Trip" novella written with Stackpole.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2024
    QuinlanSolo and PCCViking like this.
  21. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    I'd much prefer the Veers who died at Balmorra to be Max's younger cousin. The Officer Corps loved its military dynasties, I'm sure he'd have plenty of relatives in the military.

Sturm Antilles and QuinlanSolo like this.
  22. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I’d rather Maximilian survived, too.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  23. Irredeemable Fanboy

Mar 27, 2020
    @Sinrebirth So... About the new book, "Timelines", apparently it places the entirety of the Mandoverse in Canon 9 ABY, even up to the Ahsoka series, unlike what was previously believed regarding the in-universe/OOU timeframe correlation. Does this change much regarding the One Canon's timeline? Especially considering how Thrawn's return here matches with the Hand of Thrawn Duology.

In a way i feel it would fit better, mainly because of Mara's probable absence from any Luke action in the Mandalorian & Grogu movie, as well as Pellaeon's apparent involvement with the plot to get Thrawn back, i feel it would be more logical for him to lose all hope of winning the war like he does in HoT after his conspirations in the Mandoverse failed, not before, and i bet he will be more involved with Thrawn's resurgence than it would make sense for him to be if he's supposed to be under a peace treaty.

While it does make the timeline more crowded, i prefer it this way mostly because we retroactively get more information about the imperial campaigns of 13-19 ABY that Legends got almost none of.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2024
    Sturm Antilles likes this.
  24. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I don't overly expect the entire five seasons to fit into 9 ABY, but we'll see.

Otherwise, no, it isn't an issue thus far, it still fits in the 15 ABY period in One Canon, just before the Black Fleet Crisis.

It may end up that it is the reason for Pellaeon's complete lack of hope in 19 ABY, though, and it takes place parallel to the 17 ABY Imperial offensive.

I have faith it will merge relatively neatly, especially as most of the 17 ABY offensive is purely in secondary sources.

25. Irredeemable Fanboy

Mar 27, 2020
    Canon 9 ABY has nothing except the shows, and given how much it fits in Legends 22 BBY i'm sure it can fit :p

Oh, true, Legends 15 ABY being completely empty is definetly useful.

Sinrebirth likes this.