main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC The Airline Disaster Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Coruscant, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Sarge

Sarge Wacky Wednesday winner! star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 4, 1998
    Boeing Confirms Discussions About Acquiring Spirit AeroSystems - FLYING Magazine

Spirit Aerosystems, not to be confused with Spirit Airlines, has been getting all kinds of bad publicity for being the subcontractor that built and shipped the 737 fuselages with the bolts missing from the door plugs. Until I read this article, I did not know that they were originally owned by Boeing. It looks like getting reacquired by Boeing is their only hope, since Boeing is still "too big to fail."

2. Sarge

Oct 4, 1998
    Bizjet flight went wrong, but the rescue went off perfectly.

Juliet316 likes this.
  3. Sarge

Oct 4, 1998
  4. Sarge

Oct 4, 1998
  5. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Plus side: my flights to and from Japan are on Airbus

Downside: my flights to and from Hawaii are on Boeing 737 MAXs

Pray for me

Darth Guy, Juliet316 and Sarge like this.
  6. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
  7. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Boeing whistleblower found dead of a "self-inflicted gunshot wound."
    John Barnett had worked for Boeing for 32 years, until his retirement in 2017.

In the days before his death, he had been giving evidence in a whistleblower lawsuit against the company.

...After retiring, he embarked on a long-running legal action against the company.

He accused it of denigrating his character and hampering his career because of the issues he pointed out - charges rejected by Boeing.

At the time of his death, Mr Barnett had been in Charleston for legal interviews linked to that case.

Last week, he gave a formal deposition in which he was questioned by Boeing's lawyers, before being cross-examined by his own counsel.

He had been due to undergo further questioning on Saturday. When he did not appear, enquiries were made at his hotel.

He was subsequently found dead in his truck in the hotel car park.
    Either the stress of the interminable legal proceedings did it or something shadier is going on. Boeing bears responsibility regardless.

8. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 6

Feb 2, 2015
    This phenomenon is notably common (whether due to a technical issue of turbulence) and is a good example why they put those lighted signs above your head that any idiot should understand.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2024
    Sarge and solojones like this.
  9. dp4m

dp4m Mr. Bandwagon star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yeah, thought it may have been a technical malfunction in this case, I implore you do not Google "violent clear air turbulence" as there have been some horrific stories. And yes, they are not kidding with the "if you're just hanging in your seat. please keep your seatbelt fastened"...

Sarge likes this.
  10. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 6

Feb 2, 2015
    Nothing to see here move along

11. Sarge

Oct 4, 1998
    Juliet316 likes this.
  12. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001

Another day, another Boeing-related incident.

13. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Some of the defenses, particularly of the tire falling off, include "It's not Boeing's fault that airlines are skimping on maintenance!" How is another company dangerously cutting corners any better?

Yodaminch, Juliet316 , Ramza and 4 others like this.
  14. dp4m

Nov 8, 2001
    Yeah, but this one really almost certainly isn't Boeing's fault, even if it happened to a Boeing plane.

It's not any better, but it plays into the media pile-on of every incident being a "Boeing" issue -- even though this is the second tire issue in the last week apparently, tire issues on planes are exceptionally rare and two similar incidents happened to Airbus planes about 8 weeks apart in 2023.

But this is something that happens infrequently and pilots do the right thing an divert to the nearest airport just in case.

Sarge likes this.
  15. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    It's clearly an industry-wide issue and failure of regulation in the United States (for the love of God please give us trains), and Boeing is by far the most prominent US civilian aviation company and leading the pack. I'm not particularly bothered if they get blamed for a few things that miraculously are not their fault.

Yodaminch likes this.
  16. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
  17. dp4m

Nov 8, 2001
  18. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    It doesn't have to be the leadership or even Boeing at all. There are a lot of people and institutions who have a vested interest in the company who could be motivated to kill him or somehow pressure him to kill himself. There are also a lot of idiot suits out there who may not have thought this through. Like I said, though, it could simply be that the stress of a 7-year lawsuit and a grueling deposition took its toll. There should be a thorough investigation.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2024
    Juliet316 and Sarge like this.
  19. Sarge

Oct 4, 1998
    White Paper: Boeing's Troubles May Crash Its Marketshare - FLYING Magazine

20. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I mean, Boeing's planning skills haven't been great lately, and they've had some issues making deadlines.

Juliet316 and Darth Guy like this.
  21. dp4m

Nov 8, 2001
    Yeah, but you'd expect this guy's clip to fall out and then him to slip on a banana peel out of his car door in that case...

22. Sarge

Oct 4, 1998
  23. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I'm pleased to report that I survived my recent trip to New York. I flew three Airbus planes and an Embraer 175.

Sarge , Juliet316 and solojones like this.
  24. dp4m

Nov 8, 2001
    [​IMG]

Lowbacca_1977 likes this.
  25. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000

Wow you are certified to fly a wide range of planes.

Juliet316 and KnightWriter like this.