main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Virgin Queen] Regal Moves. For DDC 2024.

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, Jan 3, 2024.

1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Summary: Based upon mini-series Virgin Quen about Elizabeth I and focusing primarily on the relationship with Leicester which I have always been fascinated by. Sprinkled amongst the plot elements will be facets from Alison Weir's biographies.

Disclaimer: I own nothing. The only thing I'm contributing are the words/dialogue. :)

--

Entry One

There was a time when many, myself included, despaired of my ever reaching royal dignity and status. I had to balance verbal discretion with shrewdness when it came to navigating the dangerously complex machinations surrounding Queen Mary and the various plot(s) that surfaced now and then.

My name was understandably bandied about as being either a silent but knowing bystander at the very least to an active participant at worst.

Any claims of innocence on my part during those incidents would be heralded as valid by my supporters and as outright falsehoods by my detractors.

My best strategy then was to lie low and be as unobtrusive as possible, not an easy thing! This shrewdness and caution would lay the foundation for many of my later interactions and choices.

---

2. amidalachick

amidalachick Chosen One star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    Oooh! I love the Tudor era, and Elizabeth 1 in particular. This diary is off to a fantastic start, and I look forward to seeing it all unfold throughout the year. [face_love]

3. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 7

Aug 21, 2006
    I love it. Elizabeth 1 in that series. Now writing her diary. Perfect start

4. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    I'm most delighted by your choice for this diary![face_dancing]

Elizabeth did indeed have to balance both those things throughout her life. Especially during her early and formative years. This rings very true to history!

This really sounds as if it could have been written by Elizabeth herself. You really nailed her voice!

Definitely not an easy thing at all for someone as fiery as Elizabeth!

It would indeed!

Excellent opening! Can't wait to see where Elizabeth's diary goes next=D=

5. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    [​IMG]

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAS!

I was so excited when you first pitched this idea, and I am already all settled in and anxious for more! [face_hypnotized] :D [face_love]

*squee!*

This is still my hands down, absolute favorite fictional depiction of Bess (and Dudley [face_mischief]) so that just makes this even better. :cool:

Dangerously complex says it all, doesn't it? [face_worried]

And this is one of my favorite things about Queen Elizabeth - she was most certainly shrewd and cautious and clever, but that didn't come easy to her when her first, perhaps more natural instinct was to take and claim and conquer. The dual sides of this woman, in ever possible facet, and the monarch they produced will never not be fascinating. [face_thinking]

I can't wait to see where you take this next! [face_dancing] =D= [:D]

6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Thanks for the reviews. @};- I am absolutely fascinated by this entire history focus of the Tudors. :cool:

~

Entry Two

Rumors dogged me since childhood, however. Or more specifically, my teen years.

There were these vicious allegations that my Uncle Thomas Seymour and I had a less than circumspect relationship and that I was infatuated with him, which was absurd in the extreme.

Those who recalled my infamous parentage were more than eager and willing to attribute all sorts of wicked motives.

I learned early to not rise to the bait. Those who wished to believe such things would not be dettered or persuaded otherwise.

Thus it was when Mary I ascended the throne, I was more than astute at keeping my own counsel and keeping a low as possible profile.

Her betrothal and impending marriage to Philip of Spain got the nobles all stirred up and scheming.

Their plotting came to my attention by friends of mine who warned me to be careful not to be sucked into the vortex of the plot, which I did not do.

Thomas Wyatt and his cabal were summarily unmasked by one of their number, Courtney, and the Queen insisted that I appear to affirm my innocence.

I braced myself for what promised to be a difficult conversation.

+++

7. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Some don't want her at all, Mary I and her scheming. But she has friends to help her.

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha and Kahara like this.
  8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Entry Three

My sister was coldly dismissive of my assertions of inocence. She favored me with a look as if to say: Do you really expect me to believe that you had no knowledge of the schemes that were plotted?

I might have heard whisperings of such and even been told of some details, but as to active involvement, that is completely separate and different.

She summarily had me taken to the Tower.

Given the complicated and undeniable associations the place has for me, I need hardly say that I felt intense trepidation.

I was feeling low naturally, but an unexpected boon felt to me.

A childhood friend, Robert Dudley, was also being held.

He and I were able to exchange messages surreptitiously and our friendship resumed and even deepened, despite the fact he was married some years prior.

I had always been more than a little captivated by him and now as it transpired, those feelings had merely lay dormant only to blossom anew.

Happily, I can report that my internment did not last too long.

In a matter of a handful of weeks, I was released, although I was to be under surveillance at Woodstock.

I felt no small measure of relief at this turn of events.

---

9. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Yes again out of the Tower. And Dudley making his appearance nice.

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  10. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Entry Four

I was unspeakably relieved that I was soon released from the Tower. Robert Dudley rejoiced with me and was also soon released.

I was put under custody of Henry Bedingfeld of Woodstock Manor.

I learned that this clemency was due in no small measure to the intervention of Baron William Paget. I felt a surge of gratitude for this.

The Queen saw reason that there was no hard evidence of my culpability, fortunately.

As I made my way through the city, crowds cheered me. This warmed my heart profoundly.

I expect it was not just personal loyalty to me but also a statement of disapproval of my sister's religious stance and pending alliance with Philip I of Spain.

Last edited: May 25, 2024
  11. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Yes she is free to go and loved by all

12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Entry Five

I was called to court in mid spring to attend my sister during the latter stages of apparent pregnancy.

Rumors swirled that she was indeed not pregnant and there was a clamor as to what the succession should be.

I gave her my sincere sympathy when it turned out she was not pregnant after all.

I left soon thereafter and kept a low profile for several months.

13. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Her scheming sister and good to keep a low profile

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha and Kahara like this.
  14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Entry Six

Things stayed uneventful except for the fact that my sister's pregnancy turned out to be a false one.

No further plots to undermine her rule occurred.

She took seriously ill and it became critical.

She balked at naming me as her successor until the very end.

My filial affection and natural concern may have been viewed with cynical skepticism by many but those who knew me intimately knew I would not fabricate such things.

15. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Now with her sister gone she can begin to rule

16. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Entry Seven

Little did I know on one eventful day at Hatfield that my life would change forever!

Swift riders came to tell me as I enjoyed a balmy sunlit day under an oak that I was now Queen in fact.

At long last something I had often wondered would come to fruition had occurred.

I said softly in reverence: "This is the work of the Lord, and it is marvelous in our eyes."

Many momentous and small decisions lay before me, and I knew a crucial part of my success would lie in surrounding myself with wise, capable advisers devoid of self-interest and whose chief interest lay with the good of the people and whose candor would always steer me on the right, best path.

17. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Wise decisions from her. No intrigues to bother her.

Kahara and WarmNyota_SweetAyesha like this.
  18. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Entry Eight

A close confidante remained with me, Katherine Ashley, and William Cecil amongst others, were invaluable advisers.

Interestingly enough, one appointment which should not have generated much notice stirred quite a bit.

It was that of Master of the Horse, which was bestowed upon Lord Rober Dudley, whose friendship and support had bolstered me during darker times, and whom I wished to reward and to share my new fortuitous turn.

19. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Yes being with Dudley is nice for her

Kahara likes this.
  20. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Entry Nine

An interesting contest of wills ensued as various suitors put forth overtures for political gains and advantage. I never lost sight of the fact that securing a viable and undeniably legitimate successor was for the good of everyone concerned, yet I would be less than honest if I asserted that any of them stirred my emotions and I did not wish to ally myself or the nation with someone with conflicting loyalties or motivations.

So I gave answers that seemed to indicate a willingness to consider while frankly not being interested in the slightest.

I also must admit that my feelings for Robert Dudley stood in the way of anything happening in the way of forging a marriage alliance.

21. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Royals and having to marry a royal. She doesn't have feelings for them and is right. But Dudley that's different

22. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Entry Ten

When Robert's wife died under circumstances that lent themselves to rumors and speculations, I had to tread carefully, not to give any credence to the more unsavory conclusions being drawn.

When I eventually conveyed the title of Earl of Leicester on Robert, thankfully enough time had passed that any surmises were merely whispered and quickly quashed.

Entry 11

I suffered from a bout of smallpox. Thankfully, I did not suffer any lasting effects, although I heard that the national concern had been critically high, and the people's relief upon my recovery was gratifying.

I was also touched that Robert's concern was genuine and unceasing; we were closer than ever in the aftermath.

23. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Her love for Robert is seen in these entries

24. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Entry 12

I feel totally humiliated after that last affirmation of complete confidence in my closeness to Robert Dudley.

In the ensuing months, he has become increasingly captivated by the undeniably lovely Lettice Knowllys.

I cannot and do not feel even at such a juncture the compulsion to take the matrimonial plunge, although marrying a Britisher is imminently more desirable than a foreign Prince who would bring their thirst for dominance and power and separate political agendas to the union.

So I continue to maneuver and outstrategize, keeping all guessing and surmising.

I will stand alone, answer to none but the people of the realm.

Fin

25. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    I love how she finishes her diary by stating that she will be alone and caring for the people of the realm