main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

Ahsoka Marrok (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Darth_Accipiter, Jul 24, 2023.

?

Who is Marrok?

1. A New character

2. A Previously known character

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    I can’t speak for inquisitors in the video games, but we never saw any inquisitors die in Rebels. They always died offscreen. And the one inquisitor we did see die in animation, the one from Tales of the Jedi, also had a strange death scene. Comics or other works might show regular deaths, but it wouldn’t be the first time Filoni retcons other works.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2023
  2. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    We saw the Seventh Sister and Fifth Brother cut down by Maul; if something strange had happened in those cases, it would've been apparent. And since there's an example in TOTJ, the medium isn't an issue.

3. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    From what I recall, Rebels only showed their deaths indirectly. I know it’s a stretch and unlikely. If Marrok is a Nightsister product and that related to plot elements yet to come, that’s all the explanation needed. But if nothing else comes of it, the only other onscreen inquisitor death we have is the one from TotJ and that is an interesting parallelism.

whostheBossk likes this.
  4. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    Maybe Marrok gave Morgan the Inquisitorius' databases.

5. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 6

Feb 2, 2015
    I may or may not have totally forgotten Marrok after that 4th episode, even being the one to start this thread.

godisawesome , Sarge and Riv_Shiel like this.
  6. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Definitely feel like he was just there to be a bit of action scene filler, in a show that could have used more character work to take up time, either from him before he gets killed, or from Baylan or Shin instead.

DarkLordoftheFins and Chris0013 like this.
  7. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    I still find him wasted, and a better antagonist to use in the later stages of the series than Morgan Elsbeth. Why must every characters worth be measured with their fighting abillity? I would have let Morgan as a capable administrator (capable enough to orchestrate the voyage to Peridea in the first place) and Marrok as the one who was there to fight (and obviously lose to) Ahsoka.

Other than vaguely hinting the appearance of zombie troopers (who had next to no weight in the story) I don´t know what the story gained with his early demise.

8. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Marrock was certainly the most underwhelming character of the entire season, despite the fact that I really liked his duel on Corellia with Ahsoka. Establishing an ex-Inquisitor in a post-Imperial galaxy had the potential for some fascinating storytelling, instead of just using him as an empty vessel of Nightsister magick.

I think I would have preferred two alternatives that still arrive at a similar outcome:

- Marrock has a different non-Inquisitor appearance and is actually a second apprentice to Baylan with Shin. This gives Baylan a point of view distinct from both the Jedi and the Sith, who only take on one apprentice at a time. It also give Baylan additional apprentice to recruit Sabine after Ahsoka kills Marrock in the fourth episode.

Or

- Swap out Marrock for Enoch, who already has a distinctive appearance, but give him a saber or some other weapon capable of facing down a Jedi. As with Marrock, Ahsoka kills him in episode 4. Then in episode six we see Enoch's exact same entrance, but this time it's a reveal that he's still "alive" (implied by the Nightsister magick).

Last edited: Oct 9, 2023
    Chris0013 and Sarge like this.
  9. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Marrok being an undead/zombie Inquisitor was a set up for what was to come with Thrawn's army of dead stormtroopers, he was probably never intended to be more than fodder for Ahsoka as they didn't want to sacrifice Baylan or Shin and definitely not Morgan that early.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  10. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Morgan was established as a dangerous fighter in the first episode we saw her, when she and Ahsoka appeared on The Mandalorian and they had a very evenly matched duel.

11. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    We actually have nothing by the show’s rules that says he’s a zombie Inquisitor, and what visual implication their might be is contradicted by what we actually know and have seen from the confirmed zombies in the show.

Dialogue establishes he’s Baylan’s dude, not Morgan’s, and Baylan expresses distaste for witchcraft, and right now Marrok’s implosive death is different from what happened to the Nighttroopers and Deathtroopers who were zombified, since they just acted like regular bodies.

I think Marrok’s explosion was just a cool effect for a cool fight scene tool, and nothing more.

12. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Eh, no. It was definitely a setup for the stormtrooper resurrection. Or for whatever magic might be going on with Thrawn’s cargo.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2023
    Django Fett and Happy Sando like this.
  13. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    True enough, and I had that in mind when I wrote that (I was aiming as her character as a whole, not solely her depiction in Ahsoka). Why the Witches of Dathomir excel at swordplay is, to me, rather equivalent of having Palpatine being one of the best lightsaber duelists in the whole saga: seeing that he was Supreme Chancellor of the Republic, orchestrating both sides of a galaxy wide war, keeping in check the Jedi and his apprentice, turning the Chosen One to the dark side, checking what Maul was doing on Mandalore... I always wonder "when did he practiced?". At least, when I saw him in ROTJ, the last thing I thought was "this guy could beat Luke in a lightsaber duel in seconds", and he seemed a character of terrifying power nonetheless.

My point was, Marrok being good at fighting and not much else makes sense to me. Morgan could have easily been a valuable character without the need of being a highly skilled duelist. Abilities or not, boost or not, we all knew she was going to get beaten by Ahsoka anyway.

Sarge likes this.
  14. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    [​IMG]
    Yup!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2023
  15. Clone8looper

Clone8looper Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 5, 2023
    I'd like to think that his conscience still lives on in the green mist, and now he roams around the woodland like one of those Will O'the Wisp thingies.

Foreign32567 likes this.
  16. Happy Sando

Happy Sando Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2023
    I'd be up for that. One of the best things about Star Wars is that, no matter what we see in the moment, there's always a potential for future stories.

17. Foreign32567

Jun 4, 2021
    Maybe he hangs out with Grand Inquisitor ghost now.

Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  18. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    What if Marrok’s origin story will be revealed in The Acolyte? [face_thinking]

19. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    It's a repeat of the Inquisitor that Ahsoka takes down in the last "Tales of the Jedi" episode. And I consider it a contrasting of how Obi-Wan disappears upon Vader's strike in ANH to how a Dark Sider might "disappear".
    Think about it, why did Obi-Wan just disappear? Because he would become more powerful than Vader could imagine: a Force ghost? So he instantly willed himself into a Force ghost before the blade struck him? Yoda disappears at death as does Ben Solo.
    Why would those particular Inquisitors "disappear" in the fashion they did? Turning into some kind of gas? Are they being pulled into a Dark Side energy for some reason?
    This disappearing stuff seems to be inconsistent; or perhaps consistent to particular individuals.

Happy Sando and Cos Palpatine like this.
  20. Cos Palpatine

Cos Palpatine Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2022
    Yeah I think it's just inconsistent. Luke disappears after his death, but Leia doesn't seem to, nor does Anakin after his redemption in RotJ; Luke burned him on a pyre like Qui Gon was...unless he was just burning his armor. As for the bad guys, the 5th brother and 7th sister don't disappear as far as I remember. Dooku and Maul didn't disappear or turn to gas either. Palpatine on the other hand did disappear, or maybe "exploded" is a more accurate description, in both RotJ and TRoS. I think Marrok's death might be explained in the future as some kind of witch spell or something, if they bother explaining it at all.

21. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." - Waldo

22. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    Still going with this as I think it's pretty clearly indicated. The same sound is used for Morgan's death.

23. Foreign32567

Jun 4, 2021
    So, this guys hang out together, it is nice.
    [​IMG]
    Also maybe Marrok's Inquisitor name will be revealed.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2024
  24. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    One of the higher ones I would wager

25. Aah Fisto

Aah Fisto Jedi Master star 2

May 30, 2020
    Didn’t expect Ezra to appear in tales of the empire, what a great surprise!

DarthHass and MercenaryAce like this.