main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "On your left." - Captain America (Brave New World)

Discussion in 'Community' started by gonzoforce, Nov 9, 2008.

1. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Wow great trailer. The reshoots are expensive, but I think Marvel is playing the long game.

Yodaminch and Sarge like this.
  2. SHAD0W-JEDI

SHAD0W-JEDI Force Ghost star 4

May 20, 2002
    I like the trailer; we'll see about the movie. Although...

I am not a fan of them leaning back into Civil War territory (and I am not a fan of it in the comic book universe either). I get it. It's fiction. But if you think about it for two seconds, which they force you to do with these movies and comic book arcs, they keep celebrating vigilantes. On one level, fine, that's what most superheroes are. Non-governmental costumed people, often with secret identities, who do...whatever they think is right. No warrants, no oversight, no legal restrictions, they do what they feel. Break and enter, take evidence, unleash violence, no Miranda warnings, no rules of engagement but their own, engage in fire fights in the middle of cities, etc. Accountable to no one. The buck stops...no where. That's the thing with police, with the FBI, the CIA, the military...all can be abused but, imperfect as it is, the buck does stop somewhere and as difficult as it is, "force" is under civilian, democratic control. Yeah, Captain America was a paragon of virtue. What if the next masked guy isn't, and has it in for you or your family? A little different then, huh?

I am fine with not "going there", which is what I do with most superhero content, UNLESS the story opens that door, in which case, I can't just shut my brain down and go "Gasp - people with superpowers can't just do whatever the @#$# they want, answerable to no one?".

But as a trailer? Lots of fun.

PS - Okay, this is grim, and maybe the question tells you what is going to happen to Thunderbolt, but... why not hire someone younger than Harrison Ford for that role?

christophero30 likes this.
  3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Presumably because they'd want someone who was vaguely the same age as William Hurt was for continuity (Ford is about 5 years older than Hurt would be today, but looks younger).

Sarge, BigAl6ft6 and christophero30 like this.
  4. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Second time that Ford is playing the President, although his character is a bit of a scumbag (to put it mildly) as opposed to his Air Force One character.

BigAl6ft6 and christophero30 like this.
  5. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    It's fun to see Ford play a shifty character. And Mackie looks like a good Cap.

The2ndQuest and PCCViking like this.
  6. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    I don't know if you've seen the movie Paranoia, but his character is a bit shifty in that one too.

christophero30 likes this.
  7. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    The absolute best bit is the scene where he throws his shield so hard that it destroys the entire White House.

8. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    He played a killer in What Lies Beneath. I have seen parts of Paranoia.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2024
    PCCViking likes this.
  9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    He may not have the super soldier serum, but Sam absolutely kills at those quick time events.

10. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Ford is not in Thunderbolts, unless Marvel is keeping it a secret. Maybe a small part that they filmed during 4.

11. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    Which means they're not telling Tom Holland. :p

12. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    The cinematography looks great. That scene with the pink trees. And a blueish/grey for the indoor scenes.

13. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    why did they shave Thunderbolt's stash did Harrison refuse to grow one? Or did they think him changing into Red Hulk and his mustache disappearing would be implausible? Anyway if it's basically just an Incredible Hulk sequel reskinned as a Captain America movie I am totally okay with that

PCCViking and christophero30 like this.
  14. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    I doubt Ford refused to grow one; he wanted one for The Devil's Own playing a cop and the studio made him shave it. Maybe he didn't want to do a Hurt impression. A mustache on a general is one thing; on a President it might look cheesy.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  15. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    I think Taft was the last President to have a mustache.

BigAl6ft6 and christophero30 like this.
  16. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Someone deepfake a moustache onto Ross' lip. There's still time, Marvel!

17. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I like it. Getting strong Winter Soldier vibes with the political intrigues.

Master_Lok likes this.
  18. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony 18x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Some Hulks are red, others might be gray, I'm looking forward to this, it comes out on my birthday. [face_clown]

19. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 7

Nov 21, 2012
    So I wasn’t the only one who noticed that lol

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, Disney does own the ID4 franchise now…

[​IMG]

Juliet316 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  21. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Was I seeing things, or did the VFX at the end make it look like they had supersonic shock waves while they were flying? That's not as unrealistic as it seems; Austrian skydiver Felix Baumgartner went through the sound barrier in free fall while jumping from near space.

godisawesome likes this.
  22. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    At a guess, where he broke the sound barrier the air was thinner as he was higher up? It's 760 at sea level and around 660 at 50,000 feet.

Sarge likes this.
  23. RokurGepta

RokurGepta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2010
    Saw a YouTube comment claiming those scenes over the ocean around the 30 second mark of the trailer take place at the semi-submerged Celestial.

The mustache stuff is a cute way of glossing over the recast; some people really do look like William Hurt when they have a stache and then look like Harrison Ford after they shave it.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  24. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 7

Nov 21, 2012
    Pretty sure Ford was like "I'm not growing a mustache for this". And so they made it funny.

BigAl6ft6 and PCCViking like this.
  25. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Yes. Harrison Ford transforming into a muscle bound, ten foot tall creature was fine. But a mustache disappearing? That’s when it became implausible.

PCCViking and Sarge like this.