main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate You Forgot About Eating Pets: the 2024 US Presidential Election Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by anakinfansince1983 , Mar 21, 2024.

?

Who are you supporting for President in 2024?

1. Harris/Walz

63.9%
  2. Trump/Vance

4.2%
  3. RFK Jr/Nicole Shanahan

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Claudia de la Cruz/Karina Garcia

0.7%
  5. Cornell West/Melina Abdullah

0.7%
  6. Coach Beard/Roy Kent

0.7%
  7. Meteor. Please send the meteor.

29.9%
  1. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I don't expect her to be strongly pro-Palestinians once she's president.

Though, at this point she has only made a statement against vandalism, and it had to be expected.

Generally, I do wonder how much it is going to be legit for her to openly disagree with Biden on specific issues, given her position.
    Are there many precedents of a VP who opposes the president publicly?

2. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    This is the general position of the United States and most Western governments. That’s the basis for condemning settlements as illegal. They just use language like ‘contrary to international law’ or ‘illegitimate.’

3. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/wh...t-separately-netanyahu-white-house-rcna163590

Harris describes suffering in Gaza and need for a cease-fire deal after meeting with Netanyahu Vice President Kamala
    Harris met with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu at the White House after President Joe Biden met with the Israeli leader

Vice President Kamala Harris said Thursday that she had a “frank and constructive” meeting with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu at the White House that included her concerns about the humanitarian situation in Gaza and the need to finalize a cease-fire deal.

“What has happened in Gaza over the past nine months is devastating,” Harris told reporters after the meeting. “We cannot look away in the face of these tragedies. We cannot allow ourselves to become numb to the suffering, and I will not be silent.”

Harris said she would "always" ensure Israel's ability to defend itself, and pointed to what she described as a "hopeful movement" in talks to secure a cease-fire. She said she told the prime minister during their meeting that “it is time to get this deal done.”

“Let’s get the deal done so we can get a cease-fire to end the war. Let’s bring the hostages home, and let’s provide much-needed relief to the Palestinian people. And ultimately, I remain committed to a path forward that can lead to a two-state solution," Harris said.

She did not take any questions from reporters after giving her remarks.​

Vaderize03, VadersLaMent, EHT and 4 others like this.
  4. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I have seen her statement about her meeting with Netanyahu and it seems ok to me.

She starts with the typical formulaic positions about Israel's right to defend itself, but then she acknowledges the tragic situation in Gaza with a level of detail I have never seen Biden doing.

Edit Ninjaed by Ghost.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2024
    SithOverlord101 likes this.
  5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    If a permanent ceasefire gets done, great (not the administration's attempted rebranding of "temporary pause" that allows the genocide to continue, which is why Hamas hasn't backed down). For now those are just words. If not in public, she should be forceful and clear with her boss that there's a good chance she will lose if this goes on. Ending the genocide requires a credible threat to Israel of cutting off arms and likely following through.

6. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Dems are really going to erase that Joe put her in charge of the border? Consider me unsurprised.

7. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    She wasn't in charge of the border, but asked to find and address root causes, and helped create jobs in Central America.

8. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    K

plot twist successful

9. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Quick google search didn't turn it up, can you provide a source for her being put in charge of the border since you are familiar with that topic?

10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  11. S. Raw Rats

S. Raw Rats Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 12, 2021
    I really wish rightoids would stop trying to make me like her, it won't work.

12. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    There’s really nothing stopping her, it’s not like Biden can call the Secret Service to arrest her if she starts saying the wrong thing . . .

The reason Democrat loyalists are tied in knots over this is that everyone understands the inconvenient truth: Biden is not really president in any meaningful sense, he’s a puppet. He doesn’t write his own speeches, he doesn’t choose his meetings, he doesn’t pick his bed time, he can’t tie his shoes. The executive branch is being run by a kind of politburo where the head is incapacitated and Kamala is a member but her exact position on the totem pole is unclear. All the euphoria over Biden’s delayed resignation hasn’t actually resolved this problem and all but the most loyalist Democrat voters understand this for what it is. I think the loyalists understand this too but they’re still in the denial phase, and that will have to change.

We’ll need to see another “passing of the torch” ceremony, and soon. The last one didn’t work, the current situation just isn’t sustainable, every day will undermine confidence in the supposed transfer of power. If Kamala hits the trail and actually prosecutes a traditional campaign then that will help but she hasn’t done that yet and - I can’t stress this enough - she has no time to waste.

13. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Ok Glitterstimm.

14. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    I can’t stress enough how out of touch that post is.

15. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I do agree there is more of a shadow presidency than normal including some of Biden's longtime advisers and his wife, and the Chief of Staff (already considered the shadow president of modern administrations) is likely at or near the head of it. I also agree that it may be better if Biden resigns outright and Harris takes charge of policy to give a preview of what she will do with a full term, but that's not going to happen.

16. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    @Darth Guy
    There are press conferences with young staffers detailing the administration's approach on Gaza.
    Harris' rhetoric is much better than their rhetoric.

17. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    It probably won’t and yet there’s a majority opinion that it should. That is an unsustainable problem for Kamala and the Democrats, just in terms of politics.

The world isn’t going to stop turning while Trump and Kamala have a two person reality tv show together, at some point she’ll need to clarify what she’s actually doing in government right now.

“Press Conferences” mean absolutely nothing to the youth wing of the Democrat base who have been watching unspeakable horror on their social media feed since October. An empty “ceasefire” will mean absolutely nothing too if the horror continues. Her coming out party is already crashed by Netanyahu’s humiliating takeover of the Capitol which she couldn’t bring herself to attend.

solojones likes this.
  18. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    I was going to say something similar. No President writes their own speeches. No President does everything themselves.

Only exception was the orange cotton ball. The revolving door on the White House caused him to do everything himself.

SithOverlord101 likes this.
  19. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Me, I personally can't wait to hear the details of Trump's peace proposal after meeting with Netanyahu

20. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    I’m honestly not understanding the political theory behind this. She’s the Vice President. What questions is she going to be getting about what she’s “actually doing in the administration”? Shes not de facto acting for Biden. The White House is likely functioning as it normally does - civil servants and cabinet secretaries bring Biden stuff to consider and, while he’s slower than usual, he assesses it as he has over the last 4 years.

The whole thing is a perpetuated as a way of continuing the matter of Biden’s cognitive decline, by going beyond the reasonable criticism that he’s clearly not able to serve a further 4 years and turning it into a right wing conspiracy that he’s legitimately unable to act for himself any longer.

21. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    John Kirby and Co have rather awful positions on Gaza, and they don't really seem to be aligned with Harris' statements.

It is unlikely that she'll openly say "this administration is screwing up", but when the rhetoric is clearly different, likely different policies will follow if she'll be elected.

John Kirby has just said that they disagree with the ICC and that Netanyahu is an ally "and a friend". I don't remember Harris saying that.

22. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Trump has already announced who his "border czar" will be. It's Thomas Homan, who served as one of the many "acting" directors of ICE during his first term. He was the sick **** who came with the "deterrence policy" of forcibly taking children away from immigrant parents. He's promised he'll deport "millions" - involving, you know, people being concentrated in camps.
    He's also a member of the Heritage Foundation and one of the architects of Project 2025. Got anything to say about that, champ?

23. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Champ.

lol

24. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    I’d actually like to hear your thoughts on these issues.

25. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    I think you just did.

tom, Vaderize03, Count Yubnub and 8 others like this.