main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "You think you're the only superhero in the world?" - The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 26, 2010.

1. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Taking a slightly different tack, this proposition fundamentally doesn't work. Anthony Starks in the first film (and basically all the other ones, but I digress), is just a hedonist. He doesn't care enough about what is happening to other human beings to be a villain. He is content to be obscenely wealthy. How does this translate into being a villain? This is so much extra effort for no real reward that is meaningful to him at all. Why would someone who doesn't meaningfully run their own company care to run a country? This doesn't actually make much sense at all. I know only the barest details about Doctor Doom, but this seems to presuppose the only important elements are "real smart guy that wears metal." Really?

2. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    But not all of them have variants who are traveling the multiverse. Like Don Cheadle isn’t playing a variant of James Rhodes. He’s playing the same character that Terrance Howard was. With Kang the change of appearance doesn’t matter because he can literally look like any actor they recast him with and they can just say it’s a variant.

3. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 10

Apr 17, 2006
    I was actually thinking that he could have become the President of the United States in his reality and gone down the path of tyranny. It's most likely an alternate universe Tony Stark, after all. There's no reason to suggest that he isn't different in the way, say, Walternate was in the Redverse of Fringe. Walternate, despite being from a scientist background, was the Secretary of Defense, with all the concerns and responsibilities that it entailed.

This can be done.

4. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Yeah, but as I said, I don’t think recasting was the primary motivation for the change in direction. I think the fact they had to recast, combined with the fact Kang was not generating the same fan anticipation and response as Thanos, meant they used the opportunity to reevaluate. So it was the latter which was the main reason for this change, not the actor needing to be recast.

Honestly, I’m more excited to see Doom-Stark than I was Kang and I think it’s a better choice for the overall villain. I fully admit I’m mostly ignorant of the opportunity which is being missed by not having ‘real’ Victor Doom, but at the same time, as someone who isn’t invested in the comic characters being faithfully adapted, if I get good emotional resonance from the next two Avengers films, I think this move is overall a good one. If they maintain most of Victor-Doom’s characterisation and meld it with Stark, I think the result is overall positive.

At this point I view this mostly as a salvage operation to get us to the ‘Mutant Saga’ or whatever is next.

5. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    So he went down a different path even before. Instead of just being hedonistic, he's someone who is uncaring, for whatever reason. The writers can write something that works buddy, you're acting like just because I can't produce a script right now that's satisfactory to you that means this decision simply won't work.

6. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Yeah I don’t think this lacks internal logic. Stark easily turn into a Doom-like character. The issue I’m most sympathetic towards is that this deprives the films of the ‘real’ Doom.

7. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I mean, yes. A good writer can take basically any opening premise and develop something interesting. The underlying issue is that, as many others have pointed out, at some point distance from where you're starting and where you want to end up is so great that it would be more logical to have started in a different spot. Especially when you are trying to shoehorn two characters together like this.

Philosopher, if it is "easy" to do, what is this obvious path? "It's very simple but also I can't explain it" tends to be a poor argument in every context. If it's that easy, the explanation should not take long or be terribly complex. That's what the word means, in context.

8. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Well we could all be wrong and Victor Von Doom is alternate universe Tony Stark in a different way. As in, in this alternate universe he's Victor Von Doom, his father instead of being an inventor and businessman.....formed a small country, adopted a different name, and now RDJ as Von Doom is in charge.

9. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    It is easy to explain.

In Iron Man, Stark is a war profiteer motivated by profit making, choosing to avoid the moral reality of his business and to focus upon his hedonistic lifestyle. But what if he took something else from his experiences in Afghanistan (or some other event which occurred to him)? What if he still decides to drop the hedonistic lifestyle, but he decided that the issue with his past self was that his actions were complacently giving his military technology to less intelligent and less skilled men. Instead can bring ‘peace’ to the world through his technological skill but it must be him to wield it on a large scale. Instead of using his technology as a shield, he uses it as a weapon. So he fashions himself as a ‘benevolent’ dictator acting for the greater good, usurping the United States, and other governments.

We already saw his fascist tendencies in Iron Man 2 when he viewed himself as the only man who could wield his weapons. It’s a logical next step that he’d see it better for everyone if he replaced the government as dictator.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2024
  10. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 10

Jul 19, 1999
    You lot got yourselves in a mess over this fast.

11. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    It's simple. You look at RDJ's performance in Oppenheimer and it's not far off the mark for him to play Doom in related fashion. I'm in.

12. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I can't say I'm a fan of this decision.

Doom is far more than just Evil Iron Man. RDJ is great & could certainly do the part, but this seems like an odd choice when he's so obviously associated with Tony Stark.
    Stark & Doom have an interesting rivalry, two geniuses with huge egos in armored suits was a clash I was hoping to see before Stark died in Endgame. Same with T'Challa, one ruler of a utopian nation against another.

Also, casting RDJ leads to another problem - face time.
    Doom doesn't show his face, that's a major part of his character. RDJ won't wear a mask the whole time, he's too big of a name.

13. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    A lot of exciting announcements a few hours ago.I’m looking forward to seeing live action Red Hulk, hopefully he’s not a five minute villain.

Naturally someone filmed it.

Also two questions what phase are we in now?

and is Armour wars still a thing?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2024
  14. PCCViking

PCCViking 7x Hangman winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    I wonder if this Doom will take advantage of the fact he looks like Stark.

I fully expect Spider-Man and Doctor Strange to wonder what the heck is going on. Spider-Man may think this is another Mysterio-related trick, and Strange might think Wanda is behind it somehow.

15. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Maybe he's operating in whatever timeline the F4 is in, not the main MCU.

16. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    While I would rather Doom be unconnected to Stark, it's certainly a new direction to take. Could they perhaps take a spin on the comics concept of Tony's brother, Arno? They may have revealed it to be fake in the comics or otherwise reversed it later on (I forget), but he was the real Stark offsoring, kept infirmed in secret, while Tony was adopted to cover it up.

Here, you could either reverse it- genetic sibling kept in secret, raised in another country, or make Tony the twin who was adopted by the Starks, while Victor was raised by his biological Von Doom parents, etc.

Since he's presumably from the F4 multiverse, they can play with those ideas and not have them specifically reinvent the 199999/616 MCU Tony.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  17. PCCViking

PCCViking 7x Hangman winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    Instead of "you either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain", it's "your character dies a hero and then you get recast as a major villain."

:p

(Yes, I know the saying was from The Dark Knight, not the MCU).

18. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jedi Master Frizzy Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Cool DR Doom as evil Tony Stark. I dont see the issue here moving on.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  19. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Fool! DOOM would NEVER lower himself to impersonate such a feebleminded peacock as Stark!!!

EDIT: Jokes aside, I think this gets at some of the concern about Victor von Stark? Tony Doom? Downey Doom? I'm sure that minds more clever than mine will come up with a nickname we end up agreeing on.

Yes, Stark is arrogant, but DOOM is on some next-level [poop]. And DOOM is not just "evil Tony Stark." He's also the beloved/feared monarch of a small European utopia, and a skilled enough wizard that he was in serious contention for the mantle of Sorcerer Supreme. And this is just scratching the surface of my limited understanding of the character.

In DOOM and Latveria, and his rivalries with Namor/Atlantis/Tlalocan(?) and especially T'Challa/Wakanda (and you KNOW we'll see T'Challa Jr. aged up due to some kinda shenanigans) we *could* see a contrast between European and non-white visions of what utopia looks like.

We could yet see such a contrast by way of DoomStark, but it seems less likely.

The MCU *might* be able to pull off and incredible adaptation of the character. They've earned my trust, but this news has me like "bro wut?"

20. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Because that's not what Doom is, he's far more than just "Iron Man but evil".

He's a combination of Dr Strange, Tony Stark & T'Challa

21. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    After DP&W, I don't think having Doom from Reality-59392 look like Iron Man from Reality-616 is going to be much of a problem.

22. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jedi Master Frizzy Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    He can make that character his own

23. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I haven't kept up with the comics much, but wasn't Doom the one who destroyed Thanos originally? That would be an interesting play on Stark destroying Thanos in the films. Especially if they decide to go with Doom being an alternate-universe Stark.

24. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    oh.
    must admit I thought they were gonna say he was coming back to Iron Man.

But - yeah, this sounds interesting.

25. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    darth-sinister likes this.