main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "You think you're the only superhero in the world?" - The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 26, 2010.

1. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2003
    Regarding SDCC, are we expecting anymore Marvel related announcements?
    I assume "Avengers: Doomsday" is replacing "Avengers: The Kang Dynasty", correct?
    Were there any updates on Disney+ shows -- Spider-Man Freshman Year? Eyes of Wakanda? Daredevil Born Again?

2. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I'm only caring if there's any news about Hayley Atwell as Captain Carter in some form; whether it's in a new season of What if...? or a live action show or movie.

3. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    No D+ updates. I guess they’re saving those for D23.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  4. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Grant Ward died and was taken over by Hive. Then we saw a computer simulation in the Mainframe who was more good than evil.

Anyway, Fiege said Doctor Doom and not Victor Von Doom. That is the distinction.

I think that this is just a montage for the beginning of the film like IM and TIH had, designed to establish the world that the FF live in.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  5. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Fun fan edit/teaser

BTW that F4 footage was proof of concept including the pre-vis
    Galactus

The director has stated F4 is not an origin story, they already have their powers.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2024
  6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Master_Lok likes this.
  7. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I’m happy to wait it and out and see what RDJ & co, do. Think it could be fun and there could be many more Dooms about. I love Doom, but I’m all about Ralph Ineson’s Galactus. He’s going to be so great.

BigAl6ft6 and rocknroll41 like this.
  8. rocknroll41

May 28, 2013
    Now that I’ve had more time to think on it: i think the whole rdj as doom thing can work if he’s an alternate Tony who got put up for adoption at birth and ended up in latveria, being raised under the name Victor Von Doom.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  9. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Oh, so is he just going to never take off his mask so that nobody will know it's a Tony Stark lookalike underneath?

dick rodgers likes this.
  10. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    That's how it should be, but I can't see RDJ never showing his face once he's in the armoured suit

Isn't this entire topic people asking questions about why RDJ is back?

11. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    They just better stick the landing. You don’t **** about with Doom.

12. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Why is there an * next to Thunderbolts?

rocknroll41 likes this.
  13. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    A surprise to be revealed later.

christophero30 and rocknroll41 like this.
  14. dick rodgers

dick rodgers Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2016
    A bit late for that though isnt it? Sure he is Victor Von Doom in name. But you don't hire the most popular actor/hero of your universe to play the next Thanos of your multiverse saga without there being a legitimate story purpose. They coulda casted a new face for Doom. There is clearly intentionality behind this decision and he's undoubtedly a Stark variant named Victor Von Doom. And Doom fans aren't very happy about it based on what I'm seeing. Could it work? Sure....but will it really be Doom done justice the way he should be done as the MCU Dr Doom? Hard to argue with this decision.

BigAl6ft6 and Ghost like this.
  15. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    What do Doom fans think of his portrayal in 2005 and 2007 by Julian McMahon? Or by Toby Kebbell in 2015?

I think RDJ is going to kill it. The only problem I see is the audience being able to distinguish between knowing him as Tony vs Victor. I guess it depends on how he decides to tackle the role. If RDJ does a smarmy Julian McMahon impression then that I would consider that a disservice to the role. I don't know how Doom is portrayed in the comics, but I think for the movie, there should be no quips or smart aleck remarks coming from Doom. He should act like Thanos right? Knowing the best course of action for the word and doing it because he's the smartest person in the room/world.

16. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Julian McMahon is at his best when he's finally in the suit. Kebell is pretty weak overall. The guy from the Corman movie is actually solid

Anyway behind the Mega paydays for the Russos and Downey Jr.

But bringing back key members of the old gang won’t come cheap. Sources say Marvel is plunking down $80 million for Anthony and Joe Russo to direct “Avengers: Doomsday” and “Avengers: Secret Wars” and “significantly more” for Downey to tackle uber-villain Doctor Doom in the two tentpoles. The Russos’ deal doesn’t include back-end compensation, but it does contain performance escalators that kick in at the $750 million and $1 billion thresholds. The brothers also will produce the two films via their AGBO banner. That marks something of a departure for Marvel, which typically doesn’t work with outside producers, preferring to keep the team in house.

That aside going from Doomsday to Secret Wars with Doom and multiverse stuff pretty much confirms this will be the 2015 Secret Wars, or at least really inspired by it. No Beyonder leisure suit for you!

rocknroll41 and Jedi Ben like this.
  17. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Chosen One star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    So that’s at least 180 million before they’ve even shot anything? Feels excessive.

Master_Lok and rocknroll41 like this.
  18. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
  19. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Well I'm assuming the rest of the cast of an Avengers movie would probably be like 100 million more so like 300 million on directors and actors

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  20. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    It's years since I've seen any of them.
    As I recall, McMahon had a cool but costume too much face time. Suitably arrogant, but with the wrong backstory.

Kebbel had the rivalry with Richards where his ego demanded he was better & they actually mentioned Latveria. But his costume was awful & he had weird exploding powers for some reason.

Neither was the ruler of a country, nor did they have a properly explained background in magic that would have allowed them to do the sort of stuff we see Strange & Wong do.
    If you don't have that, then Doom isn't being done properly

21. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    In the 2015 movie, they introduced him as essentially a “basement dweller,” which… [face_plain]

22. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Yeah, he was done poorly in all those live-action movies.

Also, it's funny, but Doctor Doom is actually the chief villain for Spider-Man in its 1980s run... appears more times than any other villains, by far.

rocknroll41 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  23. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Re: the Doom casting. I don't get it. Is RDJ playing a variant of Tony Stark who is Dr. Doom or is he playing Victor Von Doom who just happens to be played by RDJ and when and if he appears in the MCU nobody will comment on how Doom looks like RDJ just like presumably nobody will comment on Blade looking like Cotton Mouth from Iron Cage or how nobody will point out that Kraven the Hunter looks like Quicksliver?

ETA: Slightly related, part of the reason I gave up on watching the TV show The Sympathizer is that I found it VERY distracting that RDJ played multiple characters.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2024
  24. rocknroll41

May 28, 2013
    When they brought him on stage at comic con they referred to him as Victor Von Doom, and variety reinforced that he’s indeed playing Victor. But at comic con they also said “what we’re about to reveal to you just shows how limitless the multiverse is” right before he took his mask off, so most people now are speculating that he’s a Tony variant who got put up for adoption at birth and ended up being raised in latveria under the name Victor.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  25. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    They are doing it because of money.

and there will absolutely be an acknowledgment that he looks like Stark; oh no, it’s our friend! Sort of thing and throw off whatever heroes are in it. Rhodes, Banner and Thor being the obvious.