main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "You think you're the only superhero in the world?" - The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 26, 2010.

1. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    How was he aware of it?

2. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    The number system is so stupid.

Let’s just pretend it’s 616-b,
    and 199999 is a near-identical copy except Iron Man once made one extra quip during a fight against Aldrich Killian or Ultron.
    (a meaningless solution that works, for a stupid problem they intentionally made)

rocknroll41 likes this.
  3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Spider-Society calls it Earth-199999 so I'm gonna go with Miguel and Co

rocknroll41 likes this.
  4. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Someone came through from another universe who knew and told him about the Multiverse and the designations system.

Why? Scientists would do that very thing in real life if a Multiverse existed. Each Earth designation is based upon the discovery of the universe.
    It's Earth-616 and they're wrong.

5. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I’m just going with the Futarama joke, that the numbers are arbitrary as hell anyway, and that somewhere a TVA employee has met a Spiderverse rep, and they’re indignantly arguing over what designation should go to what earth like Fleet Junkies arguing over the Mandator class.

6. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    The numbers originated in the comics with the Captain Britain Corps, with the 616 designation arbitrary and designed to convey the main Marvel Universe was nothing special, which was never the case.

7. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I'm so over this multiverse crap. Let's do SW where Anakin never goes bad, Han lets the Death Star blow up Yavin and Luke never goes to an island to die alone.
    (Hey I actually like that last part)
    Seriously why care if anyone dies if there's like 10 more versions out there?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2024
    EHT likes this.
  8. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Deadpool straight up says, “Can we just be done? With the whole multiverse thing? It’s not great. It’s just been miss after miss after miss. The Wizard of Oz did the multiverse first and they did it best! The gays knew it! But we didn’t listen. Let’s just take the ‘L’ and move on.”

9. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2003
    Because Peter Parker in one universe looks like Tobey Maguire, one looks like Andrew Garfield, one looks like Tom Holland, one sounds like Shameik Moore, one sounds like Jake Johnson, one sounds like Hailee Steinfeld...

It's not about the character, it's about a compelling and good story. If they can tell them, then more power to them.

Are the stories getting a little convoluted? Slightly.
    Also not everyone is watching every piece of Marvel content so if one didn't watch Loki TV show you may have been unfamiliar with the TVA in another movie so I'm fine with moving on when it's time and it's probably getting close to that time, but without it, we wouldn't have some great cameos in D&W.

10. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    Nicepool: “I think it’s been steadily okay since Endgame.”

11. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    I’d argue D&W showed what the inherent requirement in making a multiverse and variants work is, much like Spider-Man: No Way Home did: by limiting the actual protagonist and antagonist role to a single individual the way you normally would, and avoid diluting their stories, and treating variants as distinct characters.

You want the life of the “important” one” to still matter more than the others.

The dramatic problem with Kang was that he is centered around the opposite idea, with the variants acting as mostly a recurring theme, and thus wasting time trying to be characters when that’s not the point of his/their gimmick.

12. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Or a universe where Han and Leia have three kids instead of one, and Luke gets married, and Chewie dies instead of Han...

ZanderSolo, rocknroll41, Rew and 4 others like this.
  13. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    You didn't quote my whole post, which would have answered your "why."

The numbering system makes no sense with how the designations work. If there's going to be a system, there should be something intuitive or at least rational behind it. Instead it's a random big number

And for you saying: "It's Earth-616 and they're [Miguel & co in Spider-verse] wrong." I'll turn it back on you... why?

It being the same designation system used across every universe with the infinite multiverse doesn't make sense.

But working with what we have:
    Let’s just pretend it’s 616-b,
    and 199999 is a near-identical copy except Iron Man once made one extra quip during a fight against Aldrich Killian or Ultron.
    (a meaningless solution that works, for a stupid problem they intentionally made)

rocknroll41 likes this.
  14. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    The Marvel wiki does list Peter B and Miles' worlds as 616-B and 1610-B wherein they have the same numbers as the comic universes but are Spider-Verse character worlds. But when you watch Spider-Verse and the characters refence Miles as "the Younger from 1610?"

Ghost and rocknroll41 like this.
  15. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I'm really sick of it too, the whole multiverse concept in general. It gives filmmakers an excuse to cover everything. That includes lazy writing (including getting out of a corner you previously painted yourself into), made even worse when it's supposed to come across as "deep". And casting (or re-casting) actors in roles where they make little to no sense, other than for "fan service" or big shocking reveals, and the hopes of making lots of money.

christophero30 and Ghost like this.
  16. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Yeah, it's no longer interesting, and we've already explored the highest-stakes scenarios of what could go wrong (destruction of it all by Ultron with Infinity Stones, control of it all in Loki versus He-Who-Remains, the escape of another variant who could try to wrest control of it all in Anti-Man versus Kang in the quantum realm). We just haven't seen the "original MCU" heroes doing a version of it... but I feel any high stakes scenario would mostly be a repeat, and just about the current characters becoming a team (which hasn't really happened yet, with all the changes and separateness since Endgame). The only story that makes sense is for them to work to have a more difficult barrier between universes without destroying/pruning all but one, so the Multiverse saga can actually end. I appreciate some fan service, and going forward we could always have stories set in the past that still play with the idea if there's a really good pitch for a story idea, but yeah I hope they move forward soon and have more character-centric grounded stories again. And that includes not having Captain Marvel fly through a star to stop it from dying, while overcoming a Freaky Friday situation, to solve the problem.

EHT likes this.
  17. PCCViking

PCCViking 7x Hangman winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    So, if Cassandra Nova and Multiverse of Madness Scarlet Witch would battle, who would win?

On the one hand, I'd say The Scarlet Witch. She made quick work of the Illuminati, including that universe's Charles Xavier and that was with her dreamwalking. Plus, pre-MOM, Wanda was kicking 2014 Thanos's behind before he called for a strike to break her concentration and she was able to destroy the Mind Stone while holding off Infinity War Thanos at the same time (albeit all for naught).

On the other, Cassandra Nova apparently took down Magneto and a variant of Strange, and probably did so from a distance. So, the Scarlet Witch might have some trouble.

18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I think Cassandra would be faster on the murder than Wanda, it's really only about who makes the first movie because they can both instakill each other

Anyway I hope RDJ is Doom because of a Freaky Friday body swap because it would tick off people who were angry about Marvels' Freaky Friday body swap plot

Last edited: Jul 31, 2024
  19. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Let me ask you this, wouldn't you be happy to know that there is a reality that exists where someone you loved was still alive? I know that I would be happy to find out that there's a universe where I didn't lose my brother and stepfather to cancer.

Part of the appeal of the Multiverse is that stories can be told that have consequences. Someone could die a permanent death. Someone can retire and pass on the mantle to another. The world could be totally different from the main universe. We can see different outcomes of existing stories. Batman can be hunting Jack the Ripper in 1888, while the Marvel heroes exist in 1602. In live action we have gotten to see past iterations of characters interact with current versions.

The point is to have fun and enjoy the ride.

The numbering is based on the fact that DC got there first with the Multiverse, both in comics and in other media. 616, 10005, 838 and 688 are all in tribute to Earths 1, 2, 3, 8, 12, 16, 19, 21, 27, 38, 74, 78, 89, 90, 96, 99, 123, 203, 666 and 4125. The numbering is based on how each universe was discovered and cataloged. It's an Easter Egg for fans.

He Who Remains was probably a native of 616 and chose to favor it. Sony used 199999 because they weren't in communication with Marvel about the Multiverse and no one watched AOS, which established 616 as the main universe.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2024
    blackmyron likes this.
  20. dick rodgers

dick rodgers Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2016
    Cassandra did everything off screen. Wanda all day.

21. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Cassandra did tear off some skin on screen

22. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Again, part of Kang’s problem was that, while he’s a high concept idea and a good performance (if from a problematic actor), it’s all tied together on an ultimately weak villain who only gets to keep coming because the multiverse cheat code lets him return after being mostly handled via brute-force from Ant-Man and co. The Flash movie that nobody saw had a similar issue, creating a derivative and pathetic new villain in “evil Barry” who ultimately takes himself out.

And I’d say that while I liked Multiverse of Madness better than both those films, and that it was smarter to make “our” Wanda the main villain, the coolness of the Illuminati camels was somewhat offset by their walking canon-fodder nature, and that Wanda’s possibly permanent death means that we’ve lost the interest she can bring either way going forward.

In contrast, aside from Deadpool making its specific characters singular protagonists and antagonists, the Spider-Verse films are always very specifically focused only on this Miles, that Gwen, the Miguel in charge of everything, and the Spot being stronger than everyone else - *and* in a script that has thus far been very, very well written and avoided chickening out of anything, and in fact uses the multiverse to raise the stakes.

Similarly, Soider-Man: No Way Home wound up coming down to *this* Spider-Man having to go all out and make a huge sacrifice against the only Green Goblin that anyone cares about.

23. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    AOS didn't make the MCU 616 (their 616 reference was elsewhere, for the Bus). It wasn't until FFH that we got the "fake" 616 reference (which was supposed to be a hint that Mysterio was lying), and then it got taken seriously by later projects.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  24. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2003
    Wikipedia says there was a 616 reference in Thor: The Dark World on Selvig's black board, but I would say it wasn't official until Multiverse of Madness when it's referred to as 616 by the Christine of Earth 838.

From Reddit:
    Marvel Entertainment deemed the MCU as Earth-199999 years back when the MCU was still young. Once Feige and Marvel Studios got their freedom from ME and Perlmutter, they chose to call the prime MCU as 616 like the comic’s prime universe. Feige has continued to stick to his guns on the 616 stuff.

In the big picture of Marvel, it’s 199999. Within the MCU multiverse it’s 616. If you passionately prefer one or the other, then just call it what you want since both have been used officially by Marvel. I just don’t get how some people can be passionately upset about something like this though.​

BigAl6ft6 and Ghost like this.
  25. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    I’m working upon the assumption that there are simply two multiverses - the MCU and the comics.