main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Books New DK Books for 2024 - Rise and Fall of the Galactic Empire, Star Wars Encyclopedia

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Positive Fan, Dec 2, 2023.

1. DurararaFTW

DurararaFTW Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2014
    As a Star Wars Squadrons player this book does cut you down a size. Scythe and Titan Squadrons were noteworthy for their skill, but the 181th fighter wing were the elite.

2. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Looks like we know why Moff Adelhard got more content that involved the Big Three. Lando heading to Bespin too; it’s a lot of Rebel strength(!), and he seems to go on a campaign of conquest too.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  3. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Just noticed the Amazon listing for The Star Wars Encyclopedia says "First published as Ultimate Star Wars (2015) and Ultimate Star Wars New Edition (2019)". So this seems like just a repackaging of the text from those two books, but with what seems like at least some updates for Ahsoka and likely the other post-2019 live-action shows those books didn't cover.

4. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I guess in retrospect that comes as no surprise - what were the Ultimate Star Wars books if not Star Wars encyclopedias to begin with? Still looking forward to this, as USW was in need of an update anyway, but I feel like future editions will have to be broken into multiple volumes if they want this format to continue given the franchise's rate of expansion.

5. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    Interesting hint regarding Savit and the Imperial March.

6. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Just got the Rise and Fall book -- sheesh, this thing is enormous! I thought it was going to be one of those glossy sourcebook deals, not a novel (with a few glossy pages) with a page count riveling something like Lost Stars!

7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord 38x time Wacky Wednesday winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 2, 2012
    It's more like an in-universe academic textbook, than a novel.

MercenaryAce and Chris0013 like this.
  8. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    It's the best thing ever made.

That is all.

9. mbruno

mbruno Jedi Master star 1

Jan 19, 2010
    The 181th huh? Or even the 181st.

10. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    New continuity breakdown for Rise and Fall of the Galactic Empire from the Numidian Prime blog.

11. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    181st.

12. DurararaFTW

DurararaFTW Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2014
    Thanks you guys, I did mean the 181st.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  13. Chrissonofpear2

Chrissonofpear2 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 25, 2020
    Well - I found the hardback copy in Birmingham UK, and gave it a good skim.
    Wasn't expecting it to be an ordinary novel-sized book! Nice set of pictures included, however.

It fulfils it's stated goal, and does it well: we see how the Empire grew, worked and decayed. Many of the minds and policies involved, and the crimes committed. The book does feel a lot more about the Rise than it does the Fall however... as that feels a lot more lightly covered, even allowing for skirting future expansions and Filoni spoiler omissions.

There was also not really enough about the First Order and their war, I thought. Still, what was there was decent. And I did really like many of the nods to Legends. As Numidian Prime also notes, there were a few chronological mistakes and slight mis-statements, here and there though. Plus - still no hard numbers for Jakku, I think?

When it hits paperback, I may well snap it up! I've also begun to get interested in the Old Republic Encyclopaedia, and so may be on the look out for an old copy of that.

Finally - I continue to experience PR_END_OF_FILE_ERROR messages, when trying to view the forum pages on Chrome and Firefox, in multiple UK locations, including at home. Oddly, on a week in Buxton, I had no problem getting in on my smart-phone. So the problem seems confined to Leicestershire, maybe. Though not on many library computers, curiously enough.

ERR_SSL protocol has also come up in error messages too.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2024
  14. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    The way in which they bypassed Sloane and Thrawn by having their material behind New Republic era military redaction I do love. That it is impacting Beaumont post-Exegol is indicative that at least some of the NR bureaucracy still exists, at least.

JediFett10 and Iron_lord like this.
  15. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    The burocrats are always the same... Empire, Republics... doesn't matter to them. They keep stuff running regardless of legislators missing or the government being beheaded. Sounds like any Empire-Republic shift is rather cosmetic aside few instances of direct major changes of laws they then have to adapt to. The big machinery runs and runs and runs on. And Canto Bight still pays it seems..

They usually just wait for whoever steps up next to give the entire thing another new name and be done with it.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  16. The Empire_59

The Empire_59 Jedi Padawan

Apr 1, 2022
    Speaking of bureaucrats, the most interesting part of the book is the fact that the New Republic used Coruscant because much of the bureaucracy and tools of power are located there. And the fact that they couldn't ask for a better advisor in this area than Mas Amedda who is an experienced bureaucrat.

Of course, Mon Mothma and others couldn’t trust him but, as Beaumont pointed out in his book, they were far too receptive to these suggestions. Apparently, one of these suggestions led to the creation of the Amnesty Program seen in Mandalorian season 3. And all this, as Beaumont suspects, would have been deliberate on the part of Mas Amedda with the aim of causing damage inside the NR.

17. Foreign32567

Jun 4, 2021
    Wonder if it is a build-up for The Battle of Jakku series like with Anoat sector, and it will show Amedda's early manipulations at the end of the war.

18. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Amedda having known about Exegol and being taken into New Republic trust is a point.

19. Foreign32567

Jun 4, 2021
    Maybe his mental breakdown in the Aftermath trilogy was caused by Palpatine and Vader repeatedly threatening him in the previous year, along with Sly Moore using the Force on his mind. And after the end of the war Amedda managed to put himself back together and return to political scheming.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  20. The Empire_59

The Empire_59 Jedi Padawan

Apr 1, 2022
    Or maybe just ruling a fractured Empire and a planet plunged into civil war was just too much for him.

JediFett10 and Foreign32567 like this.
  21. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Good point.

And he is one of the few people Palpatine let in on his secret of being a sith...and the Sith Eternal cult had enough pull to constantly funnel resources and information to Exagol without being detected - what if Amedda was the head of the Sith Eternal operating in the main galaxy?

22. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    That's a great post! It has me even more excited to read the boom; it looks like they went really deep into the research. So good to see FACPOV stories referenced this much too; there's too much good stuff there to leave it out of the continuity.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2024
  23. Foreign32567

Jun 4, 2021
    That clearly did not help Amedda's mental state as well. Although he was probably less broken than Gallius thought.

The Empire_59 likes this.
  24. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Under the Sith name Darth Wyyrlok surely? O:)

25. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    The thought did cross my mind.

When did the Wyyrlok's switch from Sith Eternal to One Sith though?