main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Do you get insulted if people don`t like the Star Wars movies?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Feologild, May 27, 2018.

1. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    No, I don't get mad about it. Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion of what they like or not. Sometimes I don't understand if people do not like Star Wars having never seen one of the movies though.

SithOverlord101 likes this.
  2. SithOverlord101

SithOverlord101 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2018
    No - although I would get insulted if they said that the SW Holiday Special was the greatest Star Wars media piece ever produced.

3. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    No, but I do get slightly irritated when people mix up Star Wars and Star Trek. Because although both are fundamental cornerstones of pop culture in general, as well as sci-fi fandom in particular, they are nevertheless two completely different things, regardless of the fact that both take place in space.

4. Frisco

Frisco Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 21, 2019
    I've never taken Star Wars personally to that level, before, where I felt effronted by someone else's tastes. But I find that fans are usually the most critical, actually.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  5. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    I do not get insulted when someone doesn't like Star Wars. Whether it is a singular movie, a collective of them, or the whole thing. I do, somewhat, get insluted when they insinuate that liking any/all of them diminishes my intelligence or level of "true fandom."

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    Palp_Faction and Sith Lord 2015 like this.
  6. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Exactly my opinion. Everyone is free to like or dislike whatever they want. But I don't like people discriminating others for what they like. It's not like SW fans are all stupid or something. We as fans are perfectly entitled to be fans. How could liking a fictional story be any worse than being a sports team fan? If someone doesn't like SW, perfectly fine with me. Tolerance is the key here.

son_of_skywalker03 likes this.
  7. CLee

CLee Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 18, 2017
    I don't mind not liking it per se but I do get bothered and even a little upset if someone says they dislike it, or another movie, just or mainly because it's "too old" :mad:

Sarge and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Doesn't bother me one bit. It does irk me if a person loves sci fi but has never seen the original SW. It irks me in general if you haven't at least seen the original.

9. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    No because that would make me an egotistical jerk

10. WayoftheJedi

WayoftheJedi Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 12, 2019
    Not at all. It’s understandable.

11. ForScience

ForScience Jedi Padawan

Apr 8, 2019
    Only from Harry Potter fans, because I absolutely detest Harry Potter.

12. Beautiful_Disaster

Beautiful_Disaster Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2005
    Not at all. Everyone has their likes and dislikes and I understand that some people don't like Star Wars. The only time I get offended is when someone starts saying nasty, hateful things about SW and the fans. I can respect whatever fandom someone else likes, regardless of my personal feelings, and I would hope others would do the same for my love for Star Wars. Sadly sometimes that's too much to ask.[face_dunno]

13. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Agreed. I try to be respectful of other people's fandoms and interests, so I appreciate getting the same respect back and can get offended if I don't get it. I don't mind good-natured ribbing at Star Wars (sometimes it makes me laugh, in fact) or intelligent criticism of some aspects of Star Wars, but I don't like nasty insults or jokes that are just about being cruel rather than funny.

14. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Absolutely not. I'm more of a person who subscribe to the live and let live philosophy.

15. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    I dont mind if people dont like SW. I feel that they are missing out. What I do mind are those living in their parents' basements telling the rest of fandom what to think and if you disagree with them, having your level of intelligence criticised. I did that on Twitter once. Made myself public enemy no 1 for 48hrs!

Jediking97 and christophero30 like this.
  16. May The Force Be With Stu

May The Force Be With Stu Jedi Padawan star 1

May 9, 2019
    I don't get insulted if people don't like them. One of my kids absolutely HATES them.
    What I don't like is when people insult ME for liking them.

17. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I know right? we are nerds arguing about the tiniest of details; yet people act like you're illiterate if you disagree with them.

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  18. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    No, why should I? There are several movies I like that I know very few others do (though it pleases me when I find a fellow fan of them.)

Different people like different things, and sometimes even the same things for different reasons.

19. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    Nah. I won't pretend that they're flawless and forty years on, there's a couple aspects you can see they may have aged. People can like what they like and I know what I like. :)

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
  20. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    No at all... while I enjoy SW I certainly can understand why some people think it's silly :)

My wife could barely tell you the plot of half the movies