main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OOC Reference All Tomorrow's Parties - in all my dreams i DROWN ooc thread

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Lawbreaker, Oct 7, 2018.

1. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007
    Now posted the right one. Annie. Got them mixed up. Sorry.

2. Lawbreaker

Lawbreaker Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 21, 2018
    And to make sure this time it works you posted twice! Smart!

3. SirakRomar

Mar 30, 2007
    Not my week. Sorry.

4. Lawbreaker

Aug 21, 2018
    It is alright. Don't worry.

Update tomorrow.

5. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Thank you for the update, @Lawbreaker

Highly anticipated for the last four days.

Mm, most interesting; read one way, it looks like Adrian is running Sidney. However, looked at another way, he is only monitoring the situation, though he doesn't seem to be that broken up by it.

I actually started to feel that Morell was inside the 2019 simulation unwillingly.

That doesn't sound like he is having the time of his life. Sounds more like someone deposited or banished him into the sim, or he came over from somewhere, and cannot find his way back.

Although I am sure that none of these are, my last line makes me think that a sim could be useful as a penal colony, like the Phantom Zone of Superman lore.

Whether he was local to 2019 L.A., or has come from somewhere else, there may have been some significance to that act of putting Amy's gun to his head, and pulling the trigger. What if he has tried to self-terminate before, and it didn't stick?
    That could explain the maniacal laughter, and the impromptu dancing to music that he can play with a click of his fingers.

Dude needs a hobby.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  6. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    Yeah, I am getting the vibe he is "trapped" in the simulation, too. He obviously has the power to change the simulation, but other than "the Lady" he seems unable to run away by leaving it. Maybe he is a copy of the real Adrian, left in 2019. Probably the true Adrian is in 2029?

EDIT: I have not the feeling he runs Sidney. More like Sidney is out of his control and he feels curious about him.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  7. SirakRomar

Mar 30, 2007
    Anyway, answer to our original question re Adrian Morrel: Bad Guy

8. RachelTyrell

RachelTyrell Jedi Master star 3

Feb 15, 2009
    My theory on it.

- Self-awareness kills the simulations.
    - Adrian initiated the self-awareness movement by telling Quentin Archer
    - Adrian wants to die and therefore destroys the simulation willingly. Maybe it sets him free in a way. Maybe he belongs to a faction of the simulators destroying sims instead of protecting them.
    - Sidney counters his attempt and Adrian uses Rachel to find out who he is.
    - Sidney is the result of Lisa messing with someone self-aware. She might have tried to repair 2019.
    - Andy is manipulated by Adrian to serve the destruction of the sim
    - The Drowning is the way the simulation usually drives people into suicide and contains the self-awareness from spreading.
    - The Drowning fails as Archer's Tritec movement spreads to fast.
    - The Event will reveal the origin of Tritec, therefore accelerating the self-awareness movement. It is the finishing move of Adrian. The idea that worlds can be simulated will make it easier for people to find it they life in a sim.
    - There is no "outside the simulation", the Lady, Adrian etc. are all aware of the seemingly numerous simulations. Something seems to be special about 2019 though.
    - Annie and Elina are parts of the "aware" who seem to have forgotten they exist in a sim. They serve some purpose. Maybe the sim itself made Annie invincible.

My 2 cents on the obvious expansive background story the game has. The depth of this game is a pleasurable shock! Seriously, the game has so many layers. My personal biggest issue is I enjoy reading so much I sometimes feel like my posts don't do it justice.

Two questions to Lawbreaker:

1. How close are we to the end?
    2. Does CROWN which you recently announced have any connection to DROWN? I recognize both titles rhyme and are based on songs ... but is there any kind of shared DNA?

Lawbreaker and Sith-I-5 like this.
  9. Lawbreaker

Aug 21, 2018
    Answers:

1. We approach the end of the mid-part or second act. Not yet there, but getting closer.

2. None at all. Another high concept game that is much more grounded and has no sci-fi element at all.

I consider this a trilogy of high concept games though. The third and last I named "what comes up must come DOWN", after a Alan Parsons Project song and it is an idea for a third high concept game. It is supernatural in nature.

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  10. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    For a moment there, I was wondering who Chris was.

@RachelTyrell - great list of theories.

11. RachelTyrell

Feb 15, 2009
    This won't go well for Elina. Got the feeling he knows ...

12. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    I like that the last raft of updates has several people with mobiles - Adrian, Lisa(?) - girl "helping" Christian, Andy...

...hang on, Andy might be using Sidney to track down the Tritec meeting, that place that he cannot see from 2029.

Great minds think alike.

I also noticed the similarity between what Sidney was doing, and a "defrag" process, whilst writing my girls at the internet cafe, trying to persuade people that they weren't under arrest.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    Lawbreaker likes this.
  13. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    Things start to move ... I also think Sidney is a very cruel defrag mechanism. Agree with RachelTyrell. There is a game played around the question of simulations become self-aware. I wonder if Adrian is a bad guy or a very ruthless good guy.

But once simulations become aware they seem to get "nuked" and **** down. I doubt they are rebooted though. If they were this self-awareness thing would not be that important.

So we are all pawns in a chess game basically.

14. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    This shift to using the word "simulations" to describing both the artificial worlds, and the inhabitants of the artificial worlds, is grating a bit.

Of milder annoyance, is I finally know where this Tritec meeting is taking place, but although it has been revealed, its been revealed in 2029, where my girls cannot learn it without a TARDIS.

Lisa implied that SIDs knowing that their world is simulated, can lead to large-scale trouble.

The mysterious voice that phoned Christian seemed to imply that it was phoning him, and clueing him into the situation, in an attempt to stave off trouble.

Both sides seem to be working towards, or want to give the impression that they are working towards, the same goal.

I'll have to scroll back a bit; I missed where Christian learned that the killer was Australian.

19/09/2019 edit: I've been wondering for about three screens, what had happened to Malcolm.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  15. Lawbreaker

Aug 21, 2018
    Forgot to include the answer in my last update, can we just assume the girls took the invitation off screen?

Lost my update and had to write it again and forgot to include it the second time.

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  16. RachelTyrell

Feb 15, 2009
    Those are quite thrilling updates ... so Sidney is the product of a slightly over-ambitious employee of 2029 Gamescape. Haha. Love it.

And it is Jack! Not because he is such a perfect assassin, but because of "MeToo". Good call Fin, think you figured it out first!

I think the voice that called Christian was from Adrian's faction. Just not so fatalistic. I got the feeling Adrian is a rogue agent.

17. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Soooo...., why didn't 2029 Jack vanish, when Lisa uploaded his profile to 2019?

18. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    She didn't. He lived ten years ago in L.A. and met Andy there. Was mentioned before. He joined Tritec in 2019 probably? Actually ... if we assume this whole thing is rather authentic despite the variations we bring there ... is 2019 so important because it shows how all simulations actually began?

19. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    I get that Jack lived in the real 2019 LA.

But if this is the simulated one, why didn't the 2029 Jack vanish when his profile got uploaded. Both Jacks, actually, I suppose.

Tritec employees were uploading profiles to populate the city, each day, as selected by the computers.

Christian, as far as I can see, doesn't have the ability to affect 2029, so why did his 2029 version vanish just because he uploaded his profile to the 2019 sim?
    Maybe you get a freebie profile, and swap if you get uploaded twice; as I recall a younger Christian ought to be going to Disneyland with his father.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  20. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    I have no idea how this works, but it seems to be a "rule" that alternate profiles can be uploaded of the same person, but never identical ones.

Or Candle just included the rule for other reasons ... my theory is ... they wanna avoid the "Mr. Smith gambit", where I upload 2000 Christians! A thousand in each reality!

21. LordTroepfchen

LordTroepfchen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2007
    Sorry if I jump in as the constant lurker I am ... amazing tension you got.

Now to my idea. Why would you?

You can't do ever. Try transfer a WoW character to another server. You will find out it is deleted on the original one. You can start a second character that looks like you character and dresses like him on the new server ... it will start Level 1 though.

Tell ya ... this is some sort of game for someone. Lawbreaker uses totally the system architecture of MMOs. Mods, System, player, NPC. Reboot. Updates. Data Migration. All there.

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  22. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Hey LT.

I agree.

There have been some things that I have been reluctant to say, in case it influences Lawbreaker in some way, but as we seem to be on the way out of the internet cafe, probably safe to mention.

If there is something that I have learned from Lara Croft video games and movies, it is to be wary of statues shaped like animals; they can come to life and mess up your day when you least expect it - Mary and I haven't mentioned it, even thought it aloud, but we've been keeping the hairy eyeball on that Doom creature statue (and I researched a video detailing the various types), in case it does something, like the backup weapon or protector that no-one expects...

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  23. SirakRomar

Mar 30, 2007
    Not sure if a guy who can't be harmed and seemingly can't miss actually needs back-up [face_skull] Good thing, he does not have enough bullets.

24. RachelTyrell

Feb 15, 2009
    Actually the question is how similiar 2019 Jack is to 2029 Jack. In the scene where Wong explained the SIDs they express concern about how good a SID is.That is why they are so proud of historical correctness of events. They base SIDs on Social Media, Brain Scans etc. but they simulate only what they know about people. So the 2019 versions are watered down version based on fake historical data given to the 2029 simulation (which probably never had a real 2019). So whoever gives 2029 the data is actually the true architect of 2019. Jack of 2019 seems to be by no means have the sadistic tendencies and sex drive of playboy 2029 version. Lisa might have gotten some satisfaction by using the Jack of 2019, but that was an illusion. He might be a very separate entity. Like Elina and Annie are absolutely different. Annie seems to be sort of a pink drifter and Elina is a very high high-end hooker with a Machiavellian mindset. They are both brave and aggressive in their problem solving approach, but Annie seems much more like a moral person than Elina. Could be Elina got corrupted in these ten years, but considering these ten years never happened in reality I'd say someone created two very different versions of the same person ... so different it appears only to be roughly the same person at all.

Asks the question how much our experiences define us beyond our basic biological make-up.

Generally 2029 looks like a Playboy version of a simulation. Characters are far more sexy and power-oriented and manipulative there. Beside the fact they have TV characters (who they only activated to hunt Sidney) in 2019 the 2029 version looks much more like a game environment.

My 2 cents.

God, the game really asks a few deep questions. I feel we got our Blade Runner here, where we might discuss years after the game ends what really happened on a deeper level.

25. Lawbreaker

Aug 21, 2018
    Well, I can only say I got the rules of the world written down in detail and every time I see one of those sneak into a post of mine, I delete it. :D

The world is the world and it staying mysterious and sometimes even confusing is kind of the nature of the set-up.

You spotted quite a few of the rules from context though. I must say that is very satisfying. I am positively surprised how many of the hints and connections you guys get. Makes GMing this quite a joyful experience. It was actually hard as long as you guys had no idea. I was seriously concerned this "puzzle challenge" would not be picked up by you guys. That was kinda exhausting. Now the updates and combined posts actually write themselves while the story unfolds.

Minor spoiler: I am not done twisting the plot.

Major Observation: This OOC thread is having more posts than the main game. Arguably it is a game played in both threads. An IC and an OOC game. Of which I only participate in the first. Quite wonderful.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019