main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OOC Reference ~ Welcome to the Break Room ~ Character Survey Fun!

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Lady_Belligerent , Nov 2, 2022.

1. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    Excellent,@Mitth_Fisto, can you suggest any authors that regularly use for inspiration?

I’m trying to think of some that inspire me.
    One would be Sam Shepherd, I know his writing isn’t for everyone, but he really has a way with words.
    I am very fond of the work of Eudora Welty, and go through periods where I wonder what Ms. Welty would do in a situation. Oddly a very dear old friend, Aleda Shirley lived down the block from Ms. Welty for years, and she was another wordsmith. Aleda and I shared a fondness for Hermes scarves and I think of her every time I see my modest stack of Hermes scarf boxes.

PS: my oversight is noted and PM has been started. :)

adaml83 likes this.
  2. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    Being a visual person, I always tend to concentrate on what characters see and add hearing and scent to support the feeling I invoke visually. In RPing the scenery is most often the GMs playground, as he defines what the place looks, sounds, feels and smells like. Which I feel is an underestimated GM Tool in general. Setting. It can add so much to the game your players exeperience.

I remember the Covid game set in a Jedi Academy amidst grass plains and forest. It felt very intense. Very much like part of the story. Others come to mind. But as a player you can really pick those up and run with them.

i remember the description in an ancient game from 2009 that the space station had this sharp metallic smell and even the water tasted like it, as if it had been infected. That description gave you immediately a feeling of … the station intruding your senses. You entered a domain of steel and iron and were not meant to be there.

Such things can be powerful writing. A subtle way to set a scene for a GM.

3. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    When you include images in your posts, are you aware of the rules for linking images? You need to be uploading all images to a hosting site, and use the URL from that upload. That’s how you can guarantee that image stays the one you want. Not to mention the other issues hotlinks can cause.

This is a quote from the JCF rules:
    If you need help, or don’t know what a hotlink is, please ask. :)

HanSolo29 likes this.
  4. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    I tend not to reread things too often. Beyond the Bible and a few other books I constantly am trying to work through the never ending of 'to be read' piles that I keep. As such it tends to be on librarian, family, or google recommendations if I am searching for a style. Will see someone I have tried before, be triggered, and maybe see who is compared to that person and read some of their works to try them out. Not being a speed reader there are far too many things in the world to read for me to work my way through.

Thanks for the refresher concerning images as well. Wish I could say I was better at the linking. I oft find what I am trying to use will work with a URL on one device, but not another. Part of why I like searching for images from the device I know has the most restrictions, as I tend to mess it up less with that approach.

Sarge and adaml83 like this.
  5. Lady_Belligerent

Jan 29, 2008
    You should be saving the image to your device, then uploading to an image hosting site. There are plenty of free hosting sites these days, and once you upload it there it will give you a unique URL to use.

If you need help there are detailed instructions here.

6. Lady_Belligerent

Jan 29, 2008
    Have you ever used any tools for writing, like an emotion wheel?
    IMG_0568.jpeg

7. Sgt.Matt

Sgt.Matt Jedi Master star 2

May 12, 2018
    Saw a few people mention about authors that inspire their work; thought I might join in given that today's a slow day at work.
    In terms of influence, Robert E. Howard and Edgar Rice Burroughs feed into my love for pulp fiction; barbaric warriors that cleaved unsavory horrors followed by soldiers fighting Martian hordes definitely feed my creativity. Howard in particular was a personal favorite growing up, his characterization was terse and blunt with description that was not too flowery; it served as a model for me to learn from. Also, Nathan Long and William Kings work on the Warhammer Fantasy series has fed into my love for the series by building on the pulp barbarian fantasy that interested me before. Resting aside my collection of SW Books and Pulp novels, is a steady amount of Warhammer Black Library material like Gotrek and Felix, tales of heroes saving innocents in black comedic fashion and villains being unsympathetic monsters.

devilinthedetails and Sarge like this.
  8. Lady_Belligerent

Jan 29, 2008
    Here’s another nice one that I’m going to save for future reference.

IMG_0569.jpeg

9. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Interesting that you bring up emotion wheels in relation to writing, Lady B!

The only time I have really encountered emotion wheels previously were in group therapy sessions for family members of alcoholics (I am the daughter of an alcoholic for those who don't know) and we would go around the circle, using a wheel to pinpoint and discuss what emotion we were feeling that week. It was a good way to sort of be precise about what we were feeling.

I admit that I never actually thought about how an emotion wheel could be a helpful tool in writing, because sometimes tools can get functionally fixed in our minds and can be hard to translate from one context and setting to another.

But now that you suggest using an emotion wheel for writing, I think that could be a really useful device for keying in on exactly how a particular character is feeling at any given time in a story. Even if the character isn't consciously aware of what he or she is feeling or is unable to articulate what he or she is feeling in precise terms, it is helpful for the author to know exactly what the character is feeling in order to accurately depict his or her thoughts, feelings, and behaviors. So I definitely think I will try implementing an emotion wheel in my writing going forward. Especially when a really complicated or nuanced situation has arisen involving a certain character or characters!

In terms of other writing tools, I have dabbled in using character and world building worksheets available online, but for me, they haven't been super effective. Since I can sometimes get so focused on filling them out in great detail that I end up neglecting to write my actual stories. I really enjoy characterization and world building so those worksheets can sometimes tempt me to stick to the comfort zone of the aspects of writing that come most easily and avoid the aspects of writing (usually more plot-based) that come less naturally to me as an author.

I make great use of online encyclopedias that have been created for my major fandoms (the Internet is such a wonderful reference tool when I feel like verifying a particular detail of canon or in-universe lore) and I also like to get non-fiction books that might be related to a topic or other aspect that I am interested in exploring in one of my stories. So, basically, online resources and non-fiction books make up my favorite writing tools, which perhaps isn't surprising from a librarian;)

Lady_Belligerent likes this.
  10. Ananta Chetan

Ananta Chetan Force Ghost star 5

Aug 11, 2013
    Can I use this in DRL? :p

11. Lady_Belligerent

Jan 29, 2008
    @devilinthedetails I was familiar with them from therapy too. I was once married to an alcoholic, which is a nightmare, so my heart really goes out to a child of one. [:D]

Recently I wasn’t really getting my words down for an emotional scene, and that got me to thinking about the wheels. I actually found it to be very helpful.

Other tools are the Needs, Comfortable, and Uncomfortable wheels.

@Ananta Chetan they work for all areas. :)

12. Lady_Belligerent

Jan 29, 2008
    Pick the character you’ve fleshed out the most and take the survey.

1. Would you say your character is selfless, or selfish? Why?

2. Does your character have a vice? If so, please tell us more.

3. Have you written about your character's childhood?

4. Would you say that your character is a good dancer?

5. Does your character have a nickname?

6. What are your character's fears?

7. Describe your character’s fashion sense. Do they wear the same thing in every scene? Or would you describe them as shabby chic, fashion diva, or strictly utilitarian?

8. What lauguages are they fluent in?

9. Is your character well behaved, are they immature?

10. Describe the most severe injury your character has endured?

Silvertough and HanSolo29 like this.
  13. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Yeah, that would be Kayn. How many years has the Black Sheep game been running? A long time now.

On the surface, he's self-centered and cocky, but he does care about the few squadron mates who are close to him. Very much the Han Solo.

He likes hurting Imperials, hence his call sign. He drinks and smokes cigars, and hogs the karaoke machine.

I haven't written much about it, but I have put some thought into his formative years and figured out some defining moments. If it ever comes up in game, I might write about those.

Decent dancer, OK singer, pretty good on the omnibox.

Mean Streak

Losing the handful of people he cares about.

7. Describe your character’s fashion sense. Do they wear the same thing in every scene? Or would you describe them as shabby chic, fashion diva, or strictly utilitarian?
    Fighter pilot cool stuff. Flight jackets, and flight suits with all the cool zipper pockets.

Standard, Devaronian, and a few phrases in Twi'lek and Huttese

He'd like to go off and do his own thing, but his leadership role has forced him to grow up some. That's a work in progress.

As a teen he took a vibroknife in his left eye, which was the start of his cybernetic upgrades. In game, he was wounded in battle, broke one of his horns off, and fried most of his neural implants, which needed brain surgery to fix.

14. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014

Tia- Selfish, Tia her 'parents' were killed and left abandoned, she has Zero knowledge of her past, and her mentor was using her so he could sell her off, Tia has abandonment issues, and uses that fear in ways that are detrimental to both herself and those around her

Tyrian- can be either, Tyrian is driven by the need to 'understand' mortal behaviour. Her actions are multifaceted, and her motives are understood only by herself

Tia- yes, she likes to sip some of that fancy wine when she thinks nobody is looking,

Tyrian- yes, Tyrain's are mainly Pride and Vanity,

Tia- well she is a child, so everything I write is basically her childhood :p

Tyrian- Tyrian is an entity, spirit, other, so never had a childhood. She does have a 'mentor' of sorts, think of him as kind of a Falcor dragon creature from The Never Ending Story, he is a spirit, entity too. Tyrian first visited Earth before the Dinosaurs, then later returned when they were roaming, she then came back during the first ice age, and then again when the first humans became "exciting" enough for her.

Tia-
    no, I don't think she'd have the patience to learn, unless you told her 'this isn't a dance form, but an effective martial art that could devastate your opponent' then..maybe...

Tyrian- yes.

Tia- I'm sure she has plenty (unflattering ones) in the TSE lol

Tyrian- yes she has plenty, many cultures throughout history have given her many names, the Greeks called her Aphrodite, the Vikings called her Freyja, The Romans called her Venus and Lada by the slavs
    She also goes by the names, Cyan, Liberty and Estaria

Tia abandonment, feeling worthless, and being wrong

Tyrian- that a person she has latched on to (or deeply respects) dies knowing she can no longer interact with them, this has happened a lot. This is how she 'understands' death, being immortal she does not know or understand physical or even mental pain or anguish, Separation brings her sorrow.

Tia- likes to push the boundaries on what she can wear, to see what she can get away with, otherwise she dresses usually in black, or other Sith attire

Tyrian- dresses differently in every interaction, as her attire isn't 'physical (as in made in this mortal universe) material' one moment she can be dressed as an ancient Greek lady, others as someone who would dress thousands of years i the future.

Tia- can speak basic, she believes all other languages inferior and everyone else should speak it too

Tyrian: can speak every language, past and present, having spent thousands of years being around people and cultures

Tia- yes, Tia is immature and in a word: a brat.

Tyrian: is mischievous (known as The Volan of trickery or 'The Jester Volan' )and likes to pull pranks on people. (things like throwing stones at people while invisible) she can also be incredibly cryptic, and likes word sparring with people she interacts with.

Tia-
    hmmm, none that I can think of so far, a massive stomach ache after Bellorum gave her too much candy, does that count? :p

Tyrian- none.

Hope you don't mind me mentioning two characters,
    though Tia has been on the page more (on the boards) Tyrian is a more fleshed out character I created back in 2009. And with be a major player in Hexton RPG.

15. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    Oh I always love those. So despite having been inactive for a while I’ll do one.

Guess my most fleshed out character I ever played was Sebastian “Lego” Stein, a street artist turned into tortured souls possessing the unwanted power to stop time. The game was The Crossing.

Both. While he certainly strives to make the world a better place he has quite a heavy dose of hubris made only worse by the power he possesses. And when he got angry he can do very selfish things out of anger.

Being an artist it is mostly his recognition by the public.

Only that is was mostly unremarkable. His youth got a lot more attention.

He spend his share in Berlins nightclub scene. So he is probably okay.

The world knows him as LEGO, which is his artist name. There exists an alternate version of him known through most of the plot as The Source.

He is terrified of the responsibility that comes with his powers. The fear that he might cause the apocalypse he tries to avert was his main drive as a character.,

He has worn a t-shirt and a dark blue hoodie with jeans in every scene and in every version of his character. So very casual.

German and English. German is his native tongue and English he spoke throughout the game.

He is essentially a brooding super serious person that is polite and kind to others, as long as they don’t try to kill or manipulate him. If you end up on the wrong side of him, he can become very arrogant and borderline emotional sadistic.

I think he was shot twice, but his true injury are a number of traumas that scared him psychological. As his power grew it also made him struggle to keep his shattered mind a functioning part of him. A task in which he arguably failed. In the original game I played him I considered him mostly traumatized and played him by the end as suffering from PTSD. In the two sequels The Reckoning and The Seeking in which he naturally appeared in different iterations of his persona I got to show every flavor of insanity. From absence of trauma to completely insane. I also played him twice as a man without powers, which was the most sane and reasonable version of him.

16. adaml83

adaml83 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 8, 2004
    Pick the character you’ve fleshed out the most and take the survey.

Ooh, there are options, but I better stick to the one @Adalia-Durron wrote about many years ago.

With Adam it kind of depends on when during his life that we're writing about. I would say that as he gets older, he is more selfish about spending time with friends and family. Other than that he is relatively selfless, though when he retires, he's done.

Adam tends to beat himself up mentally. For example there were and still are times when he thinks that if he was more assertive, perhaps the Shadow Sabers wouldn't have been disbanded. He also has a bad case Survivors Guilt around the anniversary of Chashima.

Nope, the youngest head Canon I have for Adam is that he left Corellia for a New Republic Academy between the Galactic Civil War and the Vong War, joining the Wraiths shortly before the latter.

Briana would say that Adam’s dancing is like doing a bad, hairless Wampa impression.

Stealth, Bait (during the Vong War)

Surviving a war, but everyone he cares about is gone. Later on, it's not being able to stay retired, aka Wedge.

Utilitarian, he's never been one for parties. Never liked to dress up. Even his marriage was a courthouse affair.

Basic, though when he's tired, it's gibberish.

Generally well behaved, but when around friends, he's not afraid to be a sneaky troublemaker.

Yet to be determined physically, but psychologically, probably a combination of PTSD and Survivors Guilt that he still deals with.

17. Silvertough

Silvertough Jedi Master star 4

Aug 19, 2018
    Hmm.. I suppose at this point Iudex is my most fleshed out character. At least, I have the most fun writing in his pov.

That's changed over time actually, especially throughout the course of the various Dark Reach games. Ironically, he was far more selfish before his induction into the Sith Order. Before, Iudex used those around him as a means to an end, always ready to betray a close friend at the drop of a pin if it meant getting a few more credits. Now though? He's practically suicidally selfless. On more than one occasion now he's tried to sacrifice himself to save another member of the Order, yet for some reason or another, fate keeps him alive. Practically a running joke at this point [face_laugh]

It's cliché at this point for a Sith, but his worst vice is his rage. Like a bad habit, he keeps using it like a crutch to get though the day. But the effect it's having on his body, let alone is mind, is becoming harder and harder to bear. Which of course he finds infuriating in of itself. He's spiraling, and doesn't even know it.

I've put thought into it, but I haven't written anything concrete. Falleen have a long lifespan which has made it a little difficult to place certain life events. For a species that lives on average to be 250 years, is a 25 year old still a teenage personality wise? Hard for me to wrap my head around it [face_laugh]

Before the Sith, before the black rage took control? Absolutely. Being the son of nobility, Iudex would dance away many a night within the expansive ballrooms of his home planet. He's grown bitter as he's aged, and now finds the notion of dancing frivolous.

I suppose all Darths go by a nickname, right? Very few Sith keep their birth name as they ascend through the ranks.

The rage has proven an invaluable tool against the Jedi and various Sith he's fought in the past. But he knows that he's beginning to lose control. His biggest fear is losing himself within the anger and killing someone he loves. If that were to happen, it might finally break him for good.

Iudex is.. Both? When he has to, he can slip into the role of a pompous fop, with the clothes to match. The blood of nobility does flow through his veins you know. But, as he's aged, the pomp and the ceremony has grown rather tiresome. He's much more comfortable in a loose fitting robe. The robe has to be a silky royal purple though. He's not a peasant :p

8. What languages are they fluent in?

It'd be easier to ask which languages he isn't fluent in. If a crime syndicate speaks it, there's a good chance Iudex does as well. Basic, Huttese, Falleen, and Devaronian are his preferred.

Define... Immature. If you're going by the culture of the Sith, Iudex is downright saintlike. The Jedi who've come face to face with him probably have a different idea on the subject. As he's aged, Iudex has begun to turn away from the grandiose displays of violence of his youth.. It's just too time consuming. He's more likely to pay you to leave him alone more than anything else these days.

Ask me again after the end of Dark Reach II.. Getting a sneaking suspicion @Sinrebirth is about to get.. creative [face_thinking]. Other than that... There was this time that a Yuuzhan Vong's Yammosk did so much damage to his mind that it somehow forced a portion of it into a different reality as a means of escaping further hurt. But now that portion of Iudex's mind has to deal with.. the Sequel trilogy.. *shudder* So who knows? :p

Sinrebirth likes this.