main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters ♡ The OTP & Pairing Thread ♡ | Challenge #33 is up: How They Met! (1/28, p. 90, #2231)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Captain Rakkaus, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    I'll roll too, because this looks immensely fun—though given the way RL has been for me, I can make no guarantees about whether I'lll be able to produce anything. I'll gladly support all who take part, though!

EDIT: And here are mine:

23. "You are not beautiful, exactly.
    You are beautiful, inexactly."
    (Marvin Bell, "To Dorothy")

4. "Many waters cannot quench love, neither can the floods drown it; if a man would give all the substance of his house for love, he would utterly be contemned." (Song of Songs 8:7)

Will think on this, will think on this... [face_thinking] :)

Ewok Poet likes this.
  2. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I'm really looking forward to this one!

Edit: I think those are both open so mine are:

05. "i carry your heart with me(i carry it in
    my heart)i am never without it(anywhere
    i go you go,my dear;and whatever is done
    by only me is your doing,my darling)"
    (e. e. cummings, [i carry your heart with me(i carry it in])

06. "If you were in an accident, I wouldn't stop for red lights."
    (Donna Moss, The West Wing)

Which means forcing my muse to write something other than The West Wing! :D

Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  3. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    How about some Elizabeth Barrett Browning?
    "How do I love thee,
    Let me count thy ways."

Captain Rakkaus likes this.
  4. Captain Rakkaus

Captain Rakkaus Jedi Master star 2

Oct 4, 2015

We already have the quotes, so now what's left is to actually play. Come, give it a go. :)

5. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    Okay, which one to use though for Thrawn and Minerva?

6. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014

Read the "How to Play" section of the guide.

Raissa Baiard likes this.
  7. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    okay, here I go for my story:

8. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    3, 5 and 6 are taken. You throw a 36-faced die, not a regular one. I know it's weird, but yup.

If you like 1, you can keep it and just throw once for another number. If you don't, throw twice. :)

9. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    I can keep one and throw another dice.

10. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    23 is taken too. Are you on the mobile and unable to see the quotes that have been greyed out? If so, they're those with the following before them:

Code:
    [hl='#c0c0c0']

11. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    No, I am on my lap top. Can I just randomly choose 2?

12. Captain Rakkaus

Oct 4, 2015
    The idea is to get something you didn't pick yourself. And since you can see what 2 is, it's not fun that way.

I'll throw a die for you, if that's OK?

(And, just in case it looked weird: Ewok Poet runs this sock, sometimes I am on a mobile device or just too lazy to open an incognito window for non-official messages.)

EDIT:

Your quotes are...

01. "So, if I'm gonna jump off the cliff, and you're gonna get pushed off the cliff, why don't we hold hands on the way down?"
    (Danny Concannon, The West Wing)

...and...

15. "Love is the greatest victim of society as it is."
    (Victor Hugo, Océan)

13. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    okay, I can work with those. Can my story have more than one main pairing?

Ewok Poet likes this.
  14. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Yup, that has been done before - I did it, Raissa Baiard did it. :)

15. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    FYI, my dice are up for grabs; I've got nothing right now.

16. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    You have three months to come up with something. That's...long.

17. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    Is there a holiday challenge also going on, or not?

18. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Can you, please, read the first page? The first two posts are very informative and it will help you with all these questions.

19. Captain Rakkaus

Oct 4, 2015
    Discussion #8 - What is mush to you?

The question here is simple - we all have different definitions for mush - some people's mush even includes sad stories, how would you define mush? And why?

Raissa Baiard and Ewok Poet like this.
  20. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Discussion # 8:

Mush to me is hard to define, I don't know that it has hard rules even for me personally. I think, mush is something that makes me feel warm, go "awww...." and want to use the [face_love] emoji. I think a story can have multiple genres so something can be angsty and mushy, or sad and mushy, though I feel like in those cases the mush usually needs to come near the end to help sooth the angst or sadness to get a mushy designation. So maybe it needs to end with those feelings for me?? I don't know?

But of course, what makes people feel "Awww.... [face_love] " is different, not everyone gets those feelings from the same things. It's all very nebulous.

21. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    I agree with everything mavjade said. :)

I might define "mush" as "sweet interpersonal moments." I think you need at least two beings interacting. Not all romance is sweet or mushy, and mushy moments can easily occur between friends or in other non-romantic contexts. Agreeing with mavjade again, I think it is somewhat subjective and a you-know-when-you-see-it kind of a thing. I personally am a fan of mush, but I'm not necessarily a fan of romance in general.

22. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    To me, mush has to have a strong emotional connection. It's an expression of affection, whether it's affection shown in a romantic way, or a close friendship, or even the caring between siblings or a parent and child.

Mush is not sexuality in itself. It is often combined with physical expressions of love such as kissing or (implied) sexual relations, but the physical act by itself isn't mush. It is consensual and desired by both parties involved.

Mush also generates positive and warm feelings in the reader. Like mavjade says, it makes you go "awwwww."

23. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Make it a true Daily Double, Alex.

What is, "Mush makes you go awww"?

And I'm definitely a Luke & Mara shipper.

24. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Discussion 8:

I think Mav, Tarsier and divapilot pretty much hit the nail on the head for "mush". It is basically a moment that gives you those "warm, fuzzy feelings". It just makes you feel good, happy, and loved, despite what other things may be going on with the fic. It doesn't have to be romantic, but simply between two people who care for each other. My personal favourite "mush" stories are between parent and child, but it can also be other familiar ties or friendship. If those moments are a central part of a story, that fic becomes mush.

And the fic itself doesn't have to be happy. I've written a mush story about a son losing a leg (and two friends).

And I think it is more simple moments. I've written some romances with some grand gestures - but they weren't mush. Mush is usually something simple.

Like Mav said, it is one of those things that can be rather subjective to an individual and you know it when you see it.

This is my personal favourite moment of mush PROBABLY in all of TV. Non-TWWs might not get it, but it will make Mav scream HE GAVE HIM THE KNIFE!!!!!!!

25. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    HE GAVE HIM THE KNIFE!!!! [face_love][face_love]

I think that's a perfect example of mush in a non-romantic and very subtle sense. It doesn't have to hit you over the head with "Awww..." it can be a simple moment or even something that is every day, depending on how it's depicted.

For those who don't know TWW characters, that clip won't have near the impact and therefore probably won't seem mushy. But if you know the characters and their history, you know it's a huge thing that happened. While the words themselves aren't mushy, it's the full meaning behind them and the action that makes it mush.