main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

2005 Razzie Nominations

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by redsabreanakin, Jan 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Castor20021

Castor20021 Jedi Youngling

Apr 30, 2002
    merit has one r

just as well you're not an editor!

2. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Just as well I'm not a moderator! [face_blush] [face_laugh]

3. Hudnall

Hudnall Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 23, 2004

Still, in a way its comforting to know that right out to the bitter end, "Hollywood" continues to treat Star Wars with the contempt its always done - Some things never change

Yeah. The conspiracy. The same conspiracy that bagged the original STAR WARS 11 Oscar nominations and 7 wins, as well as 3 or 4 nominations and a win for EMPIRE. And the same conspiracy that gave Lucas a lifetime achievement award. Yeah.

His acting was no worse than anyone else's in ROTS. Ewan, Sam and Ian had their craptacular moments as well. More than Hayden, I'd say. His was mostly dialogue.

This, I agree with. Hayden did pretty good in REVENGE. The worst acted moments were by Ewan really.

I notice you didn't address my point about Tom Cruise being nominated for no other reason than they don't like what he is doing in his personal life.

I think Tom Cruise stinks in most everything he has ever been in. So yeah, he deserved the Razzie.

4. Palpateen

Palpateen Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2000

the original star wars had 10 nominations, not 11
    and won 6 Oscars, not 7.

thank you, thank you, thank you

5. Hudnall

Feb 23, 2004
    Technically yes, you are correct. But Ben Burtt also got a Special Achievement Award - which included, gives the numbers 11 nom and 7 wins. Or maybe we should call it 10 noms and 7 wins.

6. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001

So, are you saying Hayden should get a razzie or not? Your still in that odd position (which I'm sure that time last year you never dreamed you would be in, LOL) of wanting to Bash, but actually rather enjoying ROTS, aren't you? ;)

7. Hudnall

Feb 23, 2004
    No, he doesn't deserve one for REVENGE. He definitely did for AOTC. But not ROTS. If anybody did in REVENGE, it was Ewan. Ian was a little OTT too.

8. Palpateen

Palpateen Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2000

Technically yes, you are correct. But Ben Burtt also got a Special Achievement Award - which included, gives the numbers 11 nom and 7 wins. Or maybe we should call it 10 noms and 7 wins.

After his atrocious editing job on AOTC and his lowering of the John William's score in the sound mix on the OT DVD's, I have erased Ben Burtt from my reality. So his special achievement award no longer exists, since it is no longer in my memory files. [face_laugh] :p ;)

9. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    So, why do you think they nominated him?

I agree that Ewan had his poor parts, but he also had some amazingly good scenes - Like his Immolation speech. Ian may have been over the top (for some peoples tastes) in the second half of the movie, for me he was perfect ;) But in the first half of the movie, I'm sure we can agree that Ian was amazingly good? Generally, I don't think anybody deserves Razzie's here, I really don't. My view has always been that ROTS is one of the best acted Episode's of the series, with a consistently good cast, and I've always stuck to that.

Now, if Ben Burtt could get a razzie I might not mind so much. ;)

10. Hudnall

Feb 23, 2004
    Agreed on the Burtt bit.

Why'd they nominate him?

The dialogue and scenes that the director had him perform. Habit. Maybe the "NoooOOOOoooo". That weird posture thing probably does deserve a RAZZIE. :p

They have to pick someone, don't they?

11. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    You didn't like Franken-Vader? :_|

Well, I'm not sure thay HAD to pick someone from ROTS (other than BB [face_laugh] ) and thats the point I'm making.

12. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Actually, this is totally off topic, but I've meaning to this put this out for time, and have kept forgetting, but has anybody noticed on ROTJ during the Luke, Vader, Emperor confrontation, that wonderful battle of minds and wills, where we keep The Emperor's Theme playing continuously in the background as The Emperor lays out his plan for Luke and The Rebellion, somebody (Ben Burtt) has decided it would be cool to add weird wind type noise's? I was watching ROTJ the other day and noticed it again. Its not just my DVD is it? He has actually added those annoying and distracting sounds for no reason whats-so-ever hasn't he?

13. Hudnall

Feb 23, 2004
    Probably. I hadn't noticed. And come to think of it, I almost wish you had never ever told me. Dang it :)

14. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
  15. DINVADER_RETURNS

DINVADER_RETURNS Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 10, 2003
    As I said before If they really nominated the worst pictures and actors nobody would care, as they'd all be involved with lower budget movies few ever heard of.

16. Loco_for_Lucas

Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 15, 2002
    Papers publish lots of things in their editorial section. And based on that rationale, the original review of Revenge of the Sith, and the critic's views on the film, its actors, and tone, all have as much merit simply because a person in editorial authority decided to put it in print. ;)

17. jedibri

jedibri Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2000
    Hayden's performance was good. But, Ewan & Ian were the top's. Perhaps of all 6 fims.

18. Glassesman

Glassesman Jedi Youngling

Jan 28, 2006
    I agree. She had a poor performance. Of course, "You're breaking my heart." (uggh!)
    Didn't help.

19. redsabreanakin

redsabreanakin Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 16, 2005
    Now I don't know about that. Sci-FI is not Portman's strong suit, but I think she was pretty good in ROTS. The scene with her and Obi-wan in the Apartment and then with Anakin on Mustafar were pretty good I thought.

20. LuvObi

LuvObi Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 9, 2005
    Sorry but I thought Hayden's performances in the Star Wars prequels were really bad. I was totally not sold on anything he said whatsoever. Here's an example, when he said "I'm overwhelmed" after Palpatine asked him to represent him on the Council, his face was more like underwhelmed or angry. Those are the only 2 expressions he has.

I haven't seen his other movies so I'm not saying he's a bad actor but he wasn't good in Star Wars at all. Sorry, but that's my opinion.

21. Night_Sky

Night_Sky Jedi Master star 3

Aug 11, 2003
    Well, if Jedi were beings who were free to show emotion, then maybe the 'poor' parts Ewan did could have been played better. He has more than proven this ability in his other films, as well as at the end of ROTS when he finally was allowed to put some emotion into it. And the key word is 'allowed'; he's been so damn restricted by the character. I think it must have been frustrating for an actor like Ewan to just intone as the unemotional, nonreactive Jedi.:rolleyes: This is exactly the reason why a lot of his fans refuse to see him in his SW movies; they feel his talent is just wasted. They could have just hired someone like that cardboard cutout Paul Walker instead. :p

And anyway, Ewan got a lot of great reviews for his performance in ROTS, so why would he deserve a Razzie? (No one in ROTS deserves it, either, for that matter)

...the real stand-out of this film is Ewan McGregor, who absolutely nails the role of Obi-Wan Kenobi, perfectly capturing Alec Guinness' subtle nuances of performance in the original films. A real treat to watch here, McGregor too finally gets to express some genuine emotion for a change.
    Digital Bits

Ewan McGregor's Obi-Wan Kenobi...once again gives the best performance of the film...
    Latino Review

But McGregor once again offers up stellar work as the young Obi Wan; without his stalwart center, the first half of the picture never would have held together.
    The Edge

The Scots win hands down. Ewan McGregor as Anakin?s mentor Obi-Wan Kenobi gives his best performance of the three prequels.
    The Scotsman

McGregor really goes the distance at the movie?s climax; Obi-Wan's indignation and sadness at his betrayal by Anakin is genuinely moving
    Premiere Magazine

The only actor to either rise above the direction or completely ignore it is Ewan McGregor.
    Supercala

McGregor is best of all, alternating between urbane Hugh Grant-like quips, referring to Anakin as a ``poster boy'' in one scene, and Alec Guinness-type gravitas.
    Boston Herald

The actors who acquit themselves best are those capable of calibrating a performance without guidance, and it falls to McGregor and McDiarmid to do most of the emotional heavy lifting...
    TV Guide

McGregor's foreshadowing of Alec Guinness' wry, sagacious older Obi-Wan ranks with De Niro's portrayal of Brando's Don Corleone as a young man in The Godfather Part II. McGregor is superb.
    Baltimore Sun
    http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/movies/bal-to.warsreview18may18,1,7151883.story?coll=bal-artslife-movies
    [face_mischief] [face_mischief] [face_mischief]

22. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    You know whats sad about all this, is that a directors work can either ruin or elevate an actor. The prequels may have kept the star wars engine going for a while longer, but..........:rolleyes:

23. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Thank you for compiling that lovely list, Night_Sky. =D= I don't think anyone deserved a Razzie in ROTS, and defending Hayden shouldn't mean one has to speak ill of other actors in the process.

24. Jedi_Jack_Bauer

Jedi_Jack_Bauer Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Hayden wasn't that bad.

25. ComicDiva

ComicDiva Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 2004
    Anakin Skywalker killed a lot of people but never wants did I see him supporting anything.
    [face_frustrated]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.