main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lou, KY 2017 Book Club Dates

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Yoda_Jammies, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Yoda_Jammies

Yoda_Jammies Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    I plan on picking the hard copy up after work today, but I do have the audiobook. I had the chuckle at the first few pages (well, minutes on audio) as the narrator (Cat Tabor, Padme on the Clone Wars) had to say the name of all of the handmaidens. It sounded like she was naming off all of Popeye's Nephews: Pipeye, Peepeye, Pupeye, & Poopeye.

Dorme, Cordé, Eirtaé Ellé, Rabé Sabé, Yannay, etc…… :amidala:[face_laugh]

2. jedimika

jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep star 4

Apr 2, 2008
    Wow you weren't kidding...that was a whole lot of handmaidens in the first couple of pages.

Yoda_Jammies likes this.
  3. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    I know! And, I will admit freely and with great shame: even after 20 years of sw lit reading, I have no idea who they are. Other than a "fun fact" trivia question, the one from the CD-rom that had you to name them all-- I don't know who these women are. I know more about Ric Friggen Ole (aka Captain Obvious) then the Handmaidens. Well, until this book undoes all that and makes them people.

I also have the question, did they all have rhyming names when they got hired? Or did they have to change their names? Maybe it is explained in the book, and I am not there yet. Just seems like a weird coincidence. I mean, there isn't a Tiffany or a LaFonda. Maybe a LaFondé?

Okay, so if they all have to have matching names, what about other Naboo queens and kings? Episode 2's Queen Jamilla... um... Millia? Lilla? What about the court of pre-Padme Naboo, King Tupillo? His buddy Boopio? Do they eat chicken noodle Soupio?

4. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    So next meet Monday All Fool's Day April 1? I should be there. Plan on buying some hard copy Zahn books for him to sign at ConGlom.

5. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    You'd be a fool not to come!

6. Relin

Relin Jedi Master star 2

May 17, 2010
    Who is more foolish?? The fool or the fool who follows him

jedimika and Yoda_Jammies like this.
  7. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    See you fools tonight!

8. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    This seems like the best place to put this:

I found out later that, on the day of our book club meeting, Star Wars ( well, she was more of a Trek author really) author Vonda McIntyre lost her battle with cancer. The Crystal Star was one of our book choices several years ago.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Vonda_N._McIntyre

9. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    I thought her name sounded familiar when I read the news but I couldn't remember where from since I hadn't read any of her Trek stuff. Should have digged deeper. Thanks.

10. Commander APPO

Commander APPO Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 19, 2012
    Umm, Hi all; sorry we missed the BC meeting . For some reason I was thinking it was April 7th, don't know why must of been something wrong with my motivator (it's bad I think, come to find out it was) Stang, again sorry we missed you guys and hope to see ya the next time around, which should be June I'm thinking.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  11. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    We missed you, but we look forward to june.... checks calendar... June 3rd.

What did you all think of the padme book?
    I'll try not to speak for the group, but it seemed to me the consensus was that it was a cool character study into padme, with some neat details on naboo and their culture-- with not that much of a story. I know I liked it a lot, while recognizing that it may not be everyone's cup of jawa juice (see the aforementioned lack of plot).

Jammies

12. Commander APPO

Commander APPO Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 19, 2012
    Thanks again were sorry we missed everyone too. Overall it wasn't too bad, back stories are alway good for a deeper understanding of characters you (may) see again in the future. However; one detail that seemed a little overdone was makeup, hair and clothes, even Zannah commented on the number of times it was referenced. Ok, 3 Jun, got it marked on my calendar what is the book? Thanks again and we'll see ya all later.

13. Relin

Relin Jedi Master star 2

May 17, 2010
    Master and Apprentice by Claudia Grey

14. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    This weekend with Mr Zahn really reawaked the Legends love in me. Jammies has lobbied for years for us to read the Lando Trilogy and I always poodoo'd it because of it's reputation. Well in honor of the Legends and Billy Dee Lando making his return to the big screen this December I'd be willing to finally read it. In fact, regardless of it making our official read list I'm still gonna read it on my own.

Yoda_Jammies likes this.
  15. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
  16. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    I'm pretty excited! It looks like we may actually get some knowledge about the pre-TFA Jedi Academy, as well as some stories that take place after Last Jedi-- hinting at a significant time jump (and allowing for the Resistance to grow into more than just whoever could fit in the back of the Falcon).

17. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Book club will still be June 3 yes? Just double checking because Wonderfest is that weekend. Mindtwister was wanting to come maybe and I wanted to confirm on his behalf.

18. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    That's a good point.
    If no one objects to moving BC to the next monday, that would be super.

I yield veto power to Twisty tho, it'd be the bees knees to see him!

19. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    I don't have my June work schedule yet (but it should be soon) so I'm not sure about me.

20. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Well look, if you can't make June 10th then lets stick to June 3rd.

21. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Yes, it's a video about a video game but there are some tie ins to places in the old EU books like Wayland and Bakura

22. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Nar Shaddaa is from the old Marvel run now? Does Dark Horse know this? :p I looked it up, and apparently there is a retcon that has the Crimson Jack story take place on Nar Shaddaa-- but Nar Shaddaa was a concept introduced by Tom Veitch in Dark Empire 1 back in the 90s. Okay, Nerd Rant off... That is a cool clip Boss! I really dig all the EU references, plus the nods to Clone Wars and Rebels. Helps to make the GFFA seem like a cohesive story.

Did you find out if you could do Monday the 10th?

I will be honest, I haven't picked our novel back up since Chapter 5-- got busy with Wonderfest Stuff. I liked to so far though.

23. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Looks like I could do Monday the 10th if you want. Relin?
    Looks like Mindtwister is out. They're having transport problems right now.

24. Relin

Relin Jedi Master star 2

May 17, 2010
    I'm fine with the 10th

25. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Cool. Thanks.

So, don't show up tonight gang! And we will meet up on the 10th for some Qui-Gon goodness.

Jammies
    /ugg.. so tired...