main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph 2021 Film Awards Season (Golden Globes, Academy Awards, etc.)

Discussion in 'Community' started by heels1785 , Feb 3, 2021.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    yah I'd assume they were aiming for the final bit to be a tribute to Boseman, who is legit great in the role. That'll learn 'em to never do that again! Especially since Hopkins didn't even show up. Shoulda done those zoom acceptance awards!

No slam on Hopkins in The Father, his work in the film and especially the final scene is holy crow astounding and he absolutely deserved it.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
    Juliet316 likes this.
  2. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    ...so, I looked up the film Anthony Hopkins won for, read what it's about. The ending scene is online and I watched it.

Yeah, I'm crying. Not because it's a sad scene and his performance is great...but it's too real to me as my father has this condition. Although he's deteriorated that he doesn't speak really anymore. But uh....yeah. I'm just a little heartbroken at the moment.

3. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    That ending of the Father is absolutely heart wrenching and probably a big reason Hopkins won.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  4. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    I mean above and beyond what I’d normally expect from an actor.

5. Jean-Luc Picard

Jean-Luc Picard Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 13, 2018
  6. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
  7. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Yeah, I'm seeing some online backlash about Hopkins being an old white man and thus he didn't deserve the Oscar and I am betting 100% of those people did not see The Father because he is phenomenal. It was deeply stupid for the Academy to restructure the awards the way they did because that just hyped everybody up for the Boseman win. If they'd done it normally, people would probably still have been upset, but it wouldn't have been such a shock.

Personally, I was pulling for Riz Ahmed to win that category. He was my favorite of the nominees. I knew he was a long, long, long shot, but he was my pick. But it is impossible for anyone who has actually seen The Father to be mad that Hopkins won for that performance. I think it genuinely is his best performance.

Overall, I was happy with a lot of the winners. Kaluuya: deserving; McDormand: my favorite of the nominees; Nomadland: my favorite of the nominees. Chloe Zhao: fist pump that she won; I am all in on her as a true cinematic artist and I direct everyone back to when The Rider came out and I was evangelizing for that movie hardcore. I'm glad Tenet got to win something to make up for it not being nominated for Best Score, which is probably the category it was most deserving of. Sound of Metal winning Best Sound was actually the one category I was super-super-invested in, so I'm thrilled that happened. Like it was the one category, where I was like, "If it doesn't win, a chair gets thrown."

Like Best Picture was a solid slate this year. There's almost always at least one I hate, but this year, my least favorite was Trial of the Chicago 7 and I enjoyed that movie a lot, even though it was very flawed. Like if it had won, I would have been pissed; but while Nomadland was my favorite, I wouldn't have been upset with any of the non-Chicago 7 nominees winning. They were all that good. And I would have full-on cheered if Black Messiah or Sound of Metal had won. Same with most of the acting categories; not really an unworthy dud in any of them. Maybe Baron Cohen in Supporting Actor was a dud nominee; and I can't really speak to Glenn Close since I didn't see Hillbilly Elegy. Supporting Actress is a good example. Colman was my favorite, but I'm fine with Youn Yuh-jung winning. Overall a really great slate of nominees in most of the categories. Better than average for the Oscars I'd say, though the absolute snub of The Invisible Man is still cringe-worthy.

8. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/tv-ratings-oscars-2021-down-record-low-1234960615/

No surprise there though as everyone expect a 50%+ drop from last year's telecast but it is another indication that the AA have three problems:

1. More and more competition thanks to streaming along with cable TV offering new programming. For a long time the AA telecast ran unopposed. Not anymore.
    2. A ceremony that should take 90 minutes is stretch to three plus hours.
    3. The nominees are often filled with movies that barely anyone saw.

#1 is something the AA can not do anything about as that is the landscape everyone now operates under but #2 and #3 are something they can change. ABC might push back a bit on #2 as it would mean less time for commercial dollars (which is obviously why they telecast it) but if the ratings went up that could mean ABC will be able to charge more per commercial so it could be a wash while number #3 is simply the snobbish of the Academy needing to end and understand that popular movies today is "art" too.

9. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I probably won’t watch the father as my father has Alzheimer’s. So it hits a bit close. I haven’t watched Boseman’s film either. If the people thought Hopkins had the better performance he should win. Chadwick shouldn’t win just because he died. Look it’s a travesty he died. But him being dead shouldn’t change someone’s vote one way or the other. The fact that he won speaks even higher as the academy voters would have been pressured inadvertently to vote for Boseman.

Basically I don’t think anyone was snubbed.

10. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Hopkins has one of the best laughs/random chuckles ever. (There's a great one in Thor early on) He probably recorded that hours later and is still surprised.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
    Juliet316 likes this.
  11. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Drama aside, I thought the ceremony was very dull and boring. When Lil Rel came out to do the song nomination guessing game that was kind of fun/cringe; at least it injected a little bit of humor into the evening other than Daniel Kaluuya's acceptance speech.

I'm all for no wrap up music, but can you at least prepare a little something? If you're there you have a 1/5 shot of winning so would it kill you to come 20% prepared to say something? I get being overwhelmed and surprised and humbled, but thank some people, add an insightful/witty quote, and bow out.

12. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    They did touch on every hot bottom issue I thought they would. Chauvin verdict, gun violence and Corona.

13. Jean-Luc Picard

Aug 13, 2018
    Tragedy, don't ya mean? Not travesty.

You mean the fact that Hopkins won, not the fact that "he" won. The subject of the first sentence is Boseman but the subject of the second sentence is Hopkins. If you're changing subject, you've gotta indicate that by naming the subject of the new sentence. If ya just continue using the same pronoun, it sounds like you're still talking about the subject of the last sentence. "The fact that he won" sounds like "the fact that Boseman won". I read that and thought what's he talking about? Hopkins won.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
  14. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Your barking up the wrong tree. My English has sucked for 21 years it ain’t getting better. I mean it can but I have to put a lot more work into it and I save that only for papers or cover letters. If that annoys you we’ll tough **** I guess. Since I am not changing it. Nothing against you. But writing and typing has never been my strong suit due to my dyslexia. Hell to this day I still don’t completely understand how to use commas correctly. Just giving you a heads up feel free to post what you want and correct me all you want. But don’t expect my skills to improve.

15. Jean-Luc Picard

Aug 13, 2018
    Can I post a video in the thread that has swearing in it if I put a warning above the video that there's swearing?

16. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Oooh neat Variety already has predictions for next year's Oscars!

Best Picture

• “Being the Ricardos” (Amazon Studios) – Todd Black, Jason Blumenthal, Steve Tisch
    • “Blue Bayou” (Focus Features) – Poppy Hanks, Charles D. King, Kim Roth
    • “Coda” (Apple TV Plus) – Fabrice Gianfermi, Philippe Rousselet, Patrick Wachsberger
    • “Don’t Worry Darling” (New Line Cinema) – Roy Lee, Olivia Wilde, Miri Yoon
    • “Encanto” (Walt Disney Pictures) – Yvett Merino Flores, Clark Spencer
    • “Flee” (Neon) – Natalie Farrery, Signe Byrge
    • “The Harder They Fall” (Netflix) – Lawrence Bender, Jay-Z, James Lassiter, Jeymes Samuel
    • “House of Gucci” (MGM/United Artists Releasing) – Giannina Facio, Mark Huffam, Ridley Scott, Kevin J. Walsh – PREDICTED WINNER
    • “Nightmare Alley” (Searchlight Pictures) – J. Miles Dale, Guillermo del Toro
    • “Tick, Tick…Boom!” (Netflix) – Brian Grazer, Ron Howard, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Julie Oh
    Best Director

• Guillermo del Toro, “Nightmare Alley” (Searchlight Pictures)
    • Lin-Manuel Miranda, “Tick, Tick…Boom!” (Netflix)
    • Jeymes Samuel, “The Harder They Fall” (Netflix)
    • Ridley Scott, “House of Gucci” (MGM/United Artists Releasing) – PREDICTED WINNER
    • Olivia Wilde, “Don’t Worry Darling” (New Line Cinema)

17. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Nah, "Godzilla vs. Kong" will sweep everything.

BigAl6ft6, christophero30 and Ramza like this.
  18. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    It's got most categories on lock. Best Picture, Best Cinematography, Best Giant Ape in a Leading Role...

19. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    The award for Only Film I have seen the last year goes to: Godzilla vs. Kong.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  20. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    I'm loving the bold predictions of "Unknown possible song from XYZ film".

BigAl6ft6 and Ramza like this.
  21. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Variety, this isn't the first time I've had to tell you: chill out.

EDIT: Also, Being the Ricardos is going to be garbage. Just a personal prediction.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. Juliet316

Juliet316 37X Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  23. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I refuse to believe anyone “awaits” the Tony awards. They just find out they’re airing that evening, and they’re all “Oh, hey, I guess it’s time for the Tonys.”

heels1785 , BigAl6ft6 and Guidman like this.
  24. Juliet316

Juliet316 37X Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  25. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Kaput Golden Globes and HFPA. You will not be missed. Thanks for Fiji Water Girl, she's neat!

Juliet316 likes this.