main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Bloom, IN ______MOVIES__(edit to include TV)__opinions and news.

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by MusicTrooper, Jun 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MusicTrooper

MusicTrooper Jedi Master star 4

Feb 22, 2005
    ref

seeing The great Raid This weekend

I too, have this on my list and am also a collector of WWII films,

(Longest Day, is a favorite)

anyway........."THIS WEEKEND", so you are going ..uuh errrrr...TONIGHT...

looking forward to your comments on this film,

Ed

2. TheQueenMother

TheQueenMother Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 17, 2004
    Rented two movies on Saturday... Finding Neverland and Bend It Like Beckham.

I saw FN when it came out with my mum because of my incurable need for anything Johnny Depp and was really blown away by the performances. Johnny was brilliant as always. Who better to play the man who wrote Peter Pan? The way he got along with the kids off screen really translated to their on screen relationships. Kate Winslet, moving past Titanic, was just stunning and I was a fan from that moment on. A wonderfully grownup role that, then going back and watching Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, really showed her versatility as an actress. But by far was the suprising tallent of Freddie Highmore, the boy who played Peter. Stunning! while the other three boys were just that, boys, Peter was trying to be the grown up in a family without a dad (he died before the movie starts of cancer). Yes it is horribly sad (I won't give anything away for those who haven't seen it yet) but it's a beatiful tale that, in the end, gives you hope that, even in the darkest of hours, things can turn out all right. I also like that writing, writing anything, helps Peter through the difficult time at the end. I really related to that and it's what got my personal waterworks started.

On the other hand... Bend It was kind of a dissapointment. I remember when it came out and it was so hyped as being an "It" movie or something and everyone was going to see it. I shied away because of my utter lack of knowledge about anything soccer (really... I know like nothing about it execpt you kick a black and white ball into a net and that's all) and should have stayed away. It was hard to understand most of the time because half the dialogue that I felt was important was in Indian, and the other half was screamed by Indians in English with their heavy accents. True, once again I rented it for a guys performance, but was suprised by the lack of anything... empowering to me. Yes I can see how a Indian girl my age would really get something out of it but for me... it kinda fell flat. Maybe it was because I was knocking back from Corona during the movie but I felt that it's message was kinda lost on me. Mum and my sister Jen liked it though. But the boy I rented it for was nice to look at. *loves Irish accents*

I finally got my newest Premiere magazine in the mail yesterday (around 5 pm... why does the mail come at 5pm?) and got to look at it today. Nothing of great importance... a Matt Damon article... and a fall/winter movie previews which I spent a lot of time going over. There are a lot of good picks this coming fall/winter that I'm sure most of us will go see. I'm planning on Elizabeth town in October (Cameron Crowe and Orlando Bloom's new modern day movie set in Kentucky and filmed in Kentucy a year ago) and Memoirs of a Geisha December 9th. V. dissapointed by the look of Memoirs but I can discuss that in December when it comes out if anyone else plans on going. I would really like to know what someone, who hasn't devoted the last *counts* 6 years of her life studying the geisha art form, thinks about the movie, the book, the controversy over both (trust me there is tons of it). It will be a very interesting time.

Any other fall/winter movies people are looking forward to besides Goblet of Fire? ;) *promises to show up to the midnight showing of Goblet (in Bloomington) in costume* [face_blush]

Anyway this is getting long. Just wanted to drop some reviews on some movies I rented ("oldies" but goodies) this past weekend. And I'm still on for a Chicago trip this weekend (via South Bend and the South Shore train) to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory on IMax. Like I said I have an incurable need for anything Johnny Depp.

Sara D.

3. MusicTrooper

Feb 22, 2005
    Sara,

was having a long day at work, and then found your long post,

thank you so much!

ref Bend It.......I saw this at the show and was prepared for a let down,
    but the audience was into it, and it won me over. Always, a common movie theme,
    Girls seem to have to over come their families as well as society values to
    pursue the kind of life they want to have. I very much appreciated the respect
    for family and culture, while never giving up on goals (no pun intended)
    .....aspect of this film.....also, and this comes a little from my job,
    I just love anything......international.....and so have a lot experience
    with foreign films........indian/bollywood films are the hardest for me
    to get into......but this film seem to break a lot of barriers for me.

The Peter Pan film, was also seen at the show.....had high expectations
    for this one.......and suffered an over all let down.....BUT,
    speaking as someone who has done a little show business, there are some
    of the most amazing acting/directing moments in this film. I would recomend
    this film to even non-Johnny Depp fans.

I will be in Wisconsin next weekend and so will just have to wish
    you a happy visit to Chicago and GREAT weather, not too hot and not too wet:)

Suggest you start a_____travel thread_____
    and post your adventures there.

4. lukesky27

lukesky27 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 23, 2004
    HOLY MONKEY SPIT!!!

Okay, I just watched Kung-Fu Hustle late last night and it was oh so very great! The action was so amusing and unusual. The story lacked a little bit, but it all came together in the end with a fight scene that was so awesome, I woke my wife up several times with some various "HOLY CRAP"'s and "OH MY GOODNESS"'s. If you are fan of the recent wave of oriental imports, "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" (great movie with a wonderful story) or maybe "Hero" (the most visually appealing movie I have ever watched) or even "House of Flying Daggers" (pretty good in it's own right)...you will like this. It is very funny and kind of cartoonish, which I liked!!

Give Kung-Fu Hustle and watch and post your thoughts!!!

Dennis

5. greedofan

greedofan Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 13, 2004
    Plan on watching Kung Fu Hustle with some friends this weekend. We were really excited to see this at the theater, but as I recall, it opened the weekend of Celebration III, and when we finally had the time to go see it it was gone. Dennis, have you seen Shaolin Soccer? It's one of my favorite films ever!

6. lukesky27

May 23, 2004
    I watched that movie around April this year and it was very exciting and fun to watch. I love the scene where he thinks that he is in the war on the soccer field when the opposite team is beating the crap out of their team. That made me laugh so hard I cried!! [face_laugh] :_|

Dennis

7. MusicTrooper

Feb 22, 2005
    HOLY MONKEY.......ok, that has me laughing....much thanks to Dennis for that one:)

and now an attempt to post what/why about movie I saw this weekend......

openning on 100s of screens throughout ChicagoLand........NOT,

only on three.....(oh, I was out of town in Wisconsin Friday and Sat,
    but got ..hhhmmmmm.....enticed to come back early enough Sat,
    to see a film with friends at the last second......yeah, that's my explanation)

...anyway......always GREAT to hang out with friends.....

oh.....them movie.....ok......

Starring.......Bill Murray.....Sharon Stone........Jessica Lange.....

ok.....by now you all must know I am talking about an..."ART" film,

as even with these stars......this film will only be on 3 screens in Chicago,

and during the watching of it I had such strong flashbacks, I felt a
    need to run to the lobby and call the........flashback hotline......
    in hopes of holding it together:)

If felt just like I was back in the 60s,
    back in Old Town (famed Chicago cool place....especially in the 60s)
    back in Pipers Alley (back when it was still an alley!), back in Old Town
    watching some unknown film in French with Subtitles,,,and then I .....

on the current movie......sorry, got lost in my head even
    remembering this film,

BROKERN FLOWERS.......

sure, it has a plot........but, like in many art films, it is only meant
    to launch and endless discussion of various ways to look at life,

Did I like it?

I don't know, it was an "ART" film......even the full frontal fema........
    ok, don't go there........but, it's ok.......it was an "ART" film,

anyway.....Bill Murray fans, should love it......He was Brillant,
    and the film was well made......ok, very well made.....

actually, everyone in it was very good.......and the selected Music,
    might just broaden your interests in this area.

ok....hopefully, some of you find this useful/amusing about both the film & me.

Ed

8. TheQueenMother

Nov 17, 2004
    Due to inclimate weather... (bloody rain) my trip to Chicago was suspended for another time inbetween football games this coming season. However the weekend was NOT wasted as I saw one movie on the big screen and two on the small.

The Great Raid- Now, this is a movie that I knew very little about (I knew Kelly Ripa's husband was in it and it was about WWII) and I would not have seen it or rented it unless someone else paid for it/rented it and I had nothing else to do. After frequenting a local South Bend pizza joint I joined my Aunt and her fiance for a screening... and was blown away. I found myself on an emotional rollercoaster over the events (and the fact that I could NOT place James Franco in a movie I know I'd seen over and over... he's Peter Parker's best friend in the Spiderman movies... :oops:) and came out really glad that I'd went in. It is very violent and apparently very realistic (execpt for the romance part but...it's Hollywood) and I enjoyed it immensly. (Please excuse the spelling I spent 4 hours in a car
    alone then 6+ at the state fair with my father so my brain is a bit... fried)

The 39 Steps- A classic Hitchcock and the first real Hitchcock I'd seen fully besides the Birds. Interesting plot (I don't remember alot of it as it was very late and I was very tiered when we watched it) but I think it's worth a viewing if you consider yourself a Hitchcock fan.

Vertigo- Another Hitchcock but not as good. The plot was VERY hard to follow and... it had moments where you thought it was going to end... and it didn't... and you wish it had. In the end I was completley lost and... didn't really see why it gets all the acclaim it does. The cinematography was interesting and very forward for it's time. Other than that.. :confused:

Alright... that's it. I'm going to bed. [face_tired]

9. MusicTrooper

Feb 22, 2005
    GREAT RAID.........pretty good,
    not as violent as Saving Private Ryan, nor Schindlers List,
    but still, not for the faint at heart.

The 39 Steps.......great spy thriller, with
    non-stop action (for its day), and up-beat fast
    paced music.

Vertigo.....an accquired taste......
    but a great film, filled with many innovations
    for its time.......moody and slow paced, it is
    meant to be more of a thinking persons
    murder mystery film......The soundtrack alone,
    is meant to forward the film at times....a must
    for Bernard Herman fans......
    ....at times, perhaps to "artsy" for its own good.

given the "flash-bang" of many modern films, ya kinda
    need to see this one from the perspective
    of a film student and try to relive the era.

Ed

10. lukesky27

May 23, 2004
    If you just want to laugh until your head hurts and your eyes cannot water anymore, go see The 40-Year-Old Virgin. Steve Correl is pretty much the funniest guy ever on film. He takes Brick Tamblin from Anchorman and expands that hilarious character into 2 hours with line after line of pure fun. Seth Rogan and Paul Rudd do their best to steal the show with so many one liners.
    Listen carefully right after the chest wax scene will the best line of the movie is uttered!!!
    The ending of the movie is a little too long, but the wait is worth it when the last lines of the movie are uttered, or rather sung and danced...rolling on the ground laughing at that point!
    Worth the price of admission, or maybe even twice to catch the lines you missed the first time when you are laughing too hard.

Dennis

11. TheQueenMother

Nov 17, 2004
    More Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire news!!!

Warner Brothers has finally relesed a better trailer than the one that has been going around today I think. Go here and click on trailers. Trust me, it's very, very good. I really enjoyed it. Let me know what ya'll think. Yes, I said ya'll. I've been outside in the sun for 12 hours (band camp) and my brain is fried. [face_hypnotized]

12. lukesky27

May 23, 2004
    The Brothers Grimm was a waste of money. I really wanted the story to be MORE and it wasn't. The acting was weak, the story was not that interesting and the special effects were not that special. Waste of my time, I should have paid the money and watched the Cave...at least I may have been scared a little.

Dennis

13. MusicTrooper

Feb 22, 2005
    Valiant,

Star Wars connection.......voice of Valiant, Ewan McGregor

According to IMDB, this was voice work after Robots, and before ROTS.

This animated film as dissappointing......some fun jokes, but
    too dark a film for the jokes they intended,
    and the plot was WWII 101, or.....old and tired
    filled with stereo-types 1940-s propaganda images and sayings,
    which seemed very out of place today.

Ed

14. lukesky27

May 23, 2004
    I have not gotten the DVD as of yet, but I am very excited to share with everyone that I won an EBAY auction today for the final Godzilla movie to be made. It is called Godzilla: Final Wars and brings back all of the great monsters of all the other films for Godzilla to finish off one at a time to save the Earth from invading aliens. I am a HUGE Godzilla fan and do not care who knows it...so, I am very pumped about finally getting to see this movie. The DVD has not been released in the USA as of yet, so I am getting a Japanese version with English subtitles. OH! I am very excited. I know that you are all jealous, so I will let you know how GREAT it is when I get it.

Dennis
    ;)

15. MusicTrooper

Feb 22, 2005
    OH! I am very excited. I know that you are all jealous,

Confirming, I am jealous.......and am also a Godzilla fan, Hope to get original
    Godzill......Japanese version......the one without Raymond Burr.

Ed

16. MusicTrooper

Feb 22, 2005
    In other news:)

The re-make of the Omen is scheduled for release

_____________________6-6-6______________________

fun fun fun

Ed

17. echo-3

echo-3 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    Re Makes re makes Thats all H-Wood does these days.I seen a HOOORRRABLE looking trailer for the FOG . GGGGGGG Gets some new writers would ya! At least hire a good actor like ....Lito!!! YA LITO !!!!

18. Sword_of_SPEA

Sword_of_SPEA Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 14, 2005
    Re: Valiant

When you mean a dark film, could you be more specific? I was thinking about taking my neices to it (who, granted, watch things liky Buffy so they can take darkness). Okay, so honestly I wanted to go and bringing the children is a cover. [face_blush]

19. MusicTrooper

Feb 22, 2005
    /attempts to define "dark"/

hhhhmmmmmmm.........this Valiant.......no where near as good as ....
    THE INCREDIBLES

dark......film, mood......subject is WAR.....
    torture of pigeon, including drug use to make talk.....
    trys to be funny.....but, humor often misses the mark.

oh.......and the film opens up with......death? of four pigeons,

This is one of those films, where opinions will vary,
    it is pretty well made......and has many entertaining
    highlights.......I found this film had Darker moments than ROTS,
    because the subject matter is sold as a comedy, and there are
    too many moments for me where the realities of WAR are
    emphasized to acurately.

Please let me know your point of view.

oh, kids.......hhhmmmmm.....I am not a parent.......
    kids may like this.......no reason for them not to see it
    I can think of.......would be very interested in their opinions

I am sure there is more violence on TV, guess I am saying,
    that for a comedy, this seemed rather dark from a more
    intelectual point of view.

ok, someone else let me know what they think:)

Ed

20. lukesky27

May 23, 2004
    Okay, I just finished watching "Godzilla, Final Wars" and all I can say is WOW!!! I am a huge Godzilla fan, have been since I was a wee little boy watching the OLD movies on late night TV and I can honestly say that if this is the last movie in the series, they sure saved the BEST for last. There were about 12 different giants all battling and Godzilla gets to wipe the Earth clean of every single one of them in a wide variety of ways. The best is the American Godzilla look alike that gets completely lambasted by the big green guy! TOHO's little inside joke about the stupid Americanized Sony Godzilla. (geesh, that was a dumb movie)
    If you are even a remote fan of the Godzilla movies, this is one worth watching. The story is actually interesting and the human characters actually make you want to care about them and their battle against the X-ians...aliens from another planet who want to take over the Earth(of course)!!!! But, the real star of the show is the Plasma breath man himself, Godzilla!!
    When this ever comes out on DVD in America, pick it up and give it a watch.

Dennis

21. lukesky27

May 23, 2004
    Okay, I watched CRASH last night and my goodness...it made me very uncomfortable sitting in my living room. It is a like a trainwreck of a movie and you cannot take your eyes off until you know which person is going to self-destruct first and kill someone or kill theirself. It is all about racism in LA. EVERYONE is a racist in some form or another and the story follows around various people and how their lives interact. There is the message in the picture towards the end only to find out the one person who you thought was "cool" with everyone is just as bad as everyone else.

Dennis

22. lukesky27

May 23, 2004
    We went to see Serenty last night and it was an okay movie. I guess though you had to watch the TV series Firefly to understand what was going on because I didn't get a lot of jokes and references in the movie that everyone was excited about. The little girl was a badazz though and the CGI was pretty good. It was way too loud at some points and the dialogue was typical cheesy Buffy-type with way too many extended overdone diatribes about meaningless stuff to me. I really wanted to enjoy this movie, but I am not going to watch the whole TV series to see it. I mean, you didn't need to watch 5 years of the Dukes of Hazzard to understand that movie from what I have been told by my students. Overall, it wasn't bad for me, but I am not an insider in that world because I do not watch any of those shows.

Dennis

23. echo-3

echo-3 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    From the digital bits.com

Our ever reliable industry sources are telling us that Universal will soon announce the DVD release of Joss Whedon's Serenity for 12/20. Early word indicates that the disc may include Whedon audio commentary, along with at least 4 behind-the-scenes featurettes (Future History, We'll Have a Fruity Oaty Good Time, Re-Lighting the Firefly and What's in a Firefly), a video introduction to the film by Whedon and 6 minutes worth of outtakes. Some of the details on the extras comes from the BBFC website (click the link and hit enter). We'll post more as it comes in

24. MusicTrooper

Feb 22, 2005
    Dennis,

ref your comments on Serenity,

Yes, very true!

However, I have been infected with the inside info
    by rabbid fans and have crossed over mentally.......yipes!

People I barely knew, got me special tickes to a private
    pre-release showing that included one of the Films Stars,
    who hung around for a Q and A. Just so happened,
    that I have fond memories of "Barney Miller" and Ron Glass,
    ....so....and being power-fed the firefly series before
    I went to the private screening.....has twisted my objectivity.

and so......I will say.....most Sci-fi fans, will find this
    a pretty good movie.....certainly better than I-Robot, but then
    I read that book!

Here is what I posted at my ChicagoForce web site,
    where there are really rabbid fans.

Well, have finally seen the theatrical release
    of Serenity.

and can compare it to the pre-release version
    I saw.

It was a completely different film.

NO Honest.....but in a good way,

Was very impressed with the many
    technical improvements and refinements.

The over all feel of the film is what changed
    the most.....less....Schock Theatre
    (sorry, I just have trouble with blood and gore)
    and more, storyline focus, with a much
    better use of music specific to the
    action.

wish I could remember more specifics......

the believe-ability factor also seemed
    greatly improved.

wonder if they will release a soundtrack
    album

and/or

without lifting it from somewhere,

Is there any of this music (TV or Film)
    going to be or already....available?

Ed

25. lukesky27

May 23, 2004
    Ed,

I assume that you went to the advanced screening on the Northeast side of Indy. They sang happy birthday to Joss Whedon...what a bunch of dorks!!! He wasn't even there...what is that about?
    A seriously disturbed friend of mine who is a huge "anything Joss-does" fan went to that and told me all about it.

I am not a fan of Buffy, Angel, or Firefly and just did not care for the movie that much. The more I think about it, the less I liked it. This was a movie made for the fan of the show...there was no intention of drawing in other fans. I know that Joss was probably hoping for a sequel, but since it has only made $15 million and cost $39 million to make, I am going to say that it will not happen and thank heavens for that.

These are all just my opinion, if you loved the movie or anything else Joss Whedon does, good for you and enjoy!! It is just not my cup of tea. I knew that the the romantic dialogue was bad in the SW movies and will tell everyone that without feeling the least little bit remorseful, but it is all bad in the Serenty movie. BLACH!!!!

Dennis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.