main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga A Child of My Own - Beru's diary - updated 12/17 - Beru, Owen, Luke

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by VaderLVR64, Jan 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    wonderful update giving those little peeks in the life of Luke by Beru

2. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Owen has been kind enough to take over one of the night feedings for me

Awwww...[face_love] [face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

What a sweet thing to do for both Beru and Luke.

We will handle those events if - and when - they happen.

I love that confidence.

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Hee!!! Where did that expression come from? [face_laugh] Delightful update. :D :)

4. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    There was a huge, gaping hole in our lives and we had no idea that it existed until Luke arrived and filled it in.

Oh, how lovely! What a little baby can do. [face_love]

This is so tender and sweet. I love how you're showing that Owen is also smitten with baby Luke. They make a precious family.

=D=

5. hyperspace_police

hyperspace_police Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2005
    Oh...How did I miss this one.

This is beautiful. Kind of how you'd figure they felt.

If you pm...can you add me to the list.

Great Job!!

=D=

6. alhana_antilles

alhana_antilles Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 16, 2002
    I really enjoy what you've got so far. Beru's perspective on things is one we don't see very often so I'm certainly looking forward to more.

7. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    I love the idea of Uncle Owen taking over a night feeding. [face_love] This diary is going to be one of my favorite stories, I know!

8. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Meredith_Kenobi It happens to every first time parent. :p

Alexis_Wingstar You get used to snatching about an hour's sleep at a time. [face_tired]

dancing_star I remember thinking that when my own children were born - that I'd had no idea what I was missing until I wasn't missing it anymore. [face_love]

JediKaren Thank you! [:D]

talkingbanana Lurkers are always welcome on my stories! ;)

LilyHobbitJedi Sure, and thanks for reading! :D

DarthIshtar I'm glad you like it.

Jinngerbread Check your Layren user name! ;)

Gina Or in the case of your boys, playing tag team sleeping?

earlybird-obi-wan Thank you!

KELIA There's not much they can do except take each day as it comes. Beru knows that.

Jade_eyes Well it didn't come from any of MY kids! I can tell you that for sure. :p

divapilot I sometimes we underestimate both Owen's influence on Luke, AND his love for him.

hyperspace_police I'd be happy to, and thank you for reading.

alhana_antilles Beru has always been one of my favorite characters. [face_love]

ginchy Thank you. [face_blush]

[b]Entry #3[/b]

I was feeding Luke last night, his last feeding of the day before I put him to bed, and he stared up at me with his big blue eyes?and smiled.

Something squeezed around my heart and I fell more in love with him than ever. I glanced up to see Owen standing in the doorway and the look on his face made me love him even more too. Luke has brought so many gifts with him, but the best of them is the caring that binds all three of us together.

News has begun to trickle through the community that Owen and I have adopted our nephew. While we are not physically close, the farming families in this area watch out for each other.

Already today, two families have stopped by ? the men to discuss farming with Owen, the women and children to get a look at Luke. Though I admit, the men did give Luke an approving smile. The women cooed over him and the children fought over who would get to hold him.

Luckily, Owen and I had already gotten our story straight by the time they arrived. We said only that Shmi?s son had been killed in the wars and that we were serving as guardians to his son. None of them realized that, as a Jedi, Anakin Skywalker had no right to have a son. Little is known about the Jedi, especially in the Outer Rim.

Some even claim that the Jedi are nothing more than a myth. We don?t say anything about that, and we never mention that Anakin was a Jedi. Some of them know, of course, because Shmi was so proud of him. The old gossip eventually dies down, and we?re not doing anything to rouse it up again.

We are the only family Luke has left, and it is only natural that we take him in. We leave it at that.

They [i]do[/i] remember Shmi?s kindness and sweet spirit, and maybe they see that same gentle light in Luke?s eyes. For her alone, they would not question his arrival here. Like us, they will honor Luke for Shmi?s sake. That is how it will begin, but like us, they will soon learn to love Luke for himself.

Knowledge of the Empire?s birth is commonplace now, but no one comments. It?s too far away ? pray to the goddess that it always remains so! ? and we have little to do with the affairs in the Core.

This morning as I did the early chores, I spotted a lone figure on a distant dune. At first, I was afraid. The Tuskens are never far from our thoughts, especially not with Shmi?s memory stone rising up out of the sands. Cliegg rests right beside her, as much a victim of the Tusken?s cruelties as Shmi.

No, we will not forget.

But as I stared at the figure, my fear left me. At first, I didn?t even know [i]why[/i] I was no longer afraid, but then I realized that the man in the distance meant us no harm. In fact, one might even say he is a guardian of sorts.

Obi-Wan Kenobi has taken up his lonely vigil ? and he stands guard over Luke

9. dancing_star

dancing_star Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2007
    I was feeding Luke last night, his last feeding of the day before I put him to bed, and he stared up at me with his big blue eyes?and smiled.

Something squeezed around my heart and I fell more in love with him than ever. I glanced up to see Owen standing in the doorway and the look on his face made me love him even more too. Luke has brought so many gifts with him, but the best of them is the caring that binds all three of us together.

Awww! [face_love] Just lovely!@};- So sweet! Wonderful update, Vadey! :) Hugs!!
    =D= =D= =D= =D=

10. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Very realistic and great community reaction--loving Luke for Shmi's sake--but Beru's right--he's lovable on his own account :D Glad she sees Obi-Wan as a guardian--unlike Owen who sees evry Jedi as a threat :( [face_thinking]

11. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Loved it. Yes Luke is just like any other child and should be loved by everyone.

And that glimpse of Obi-Wan as a guardian Beautiful

12. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    This fic just gets even lovelier with each new entry! =D=

They do remember Shmi?s kindness and sweet spirit, and maybe they see that same gentle light in Luke?s eyes. For her alone, they would not question his arrival here. Like us, they will honor Luke for Shmi?s sake. That is how it will begin, but like us, they will soon learn to love Luke for himself.

I especially liked this.

13. padawan_learner86

padawan_learner86 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 23, 2005
    Like the others have said, it is beautiful and very sweet! Lol, before we know it, you'll have all of us readers cooing over Luke too. ;) Love the idea of Obi-Wan as family guardian, but I'm biased in that aspect. ^^

14. hyperspace_police

hyperspace_police Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2005
    What a wonderful update. I love the image we get of obi-wan standing vigil. Totally what he would be doing.
    Keep up the great work and thanks for the pm!

15. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    I love it how everyone in the community is so accecting of Luke and that Obi-Wan is an ever present comfort to Beru. Wonderful update! =D=

16. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    Love this, Vadey! :)

I have always loved Beru and you are portraying her so beautifully.

Favorite moment: "Obi-Wan Kenobi has taken up his lonely vigil ? and he stands guard over Luke Skywalker.

I think I will sleep just a little more peacefully tonight."

Just lovely! =D=

17. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    That was so sweet! I loved every word of it. You paint pictures full of emotion and meaning with your words.

18. Meredith_Kenobi

Meredith_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 2005

I love that image. [face_love]

It's good that she sees Obi-Wan as a kind of guardian angel. I wonder if Owen has noticed him keeping watch like that? If so, what does he think of it? What happens that makes him think of him as a "crazy old wizard"? [face_thinking]

Beautiful update. =D= Thank you for the PM, I eagerly look forward to the next one.

19. Jinngerbread

Jinngerbread Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2007
    Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww [face_love][face_love]

I think I've turned into a pile of mushy goo. Well who wouldn't love a baby Luke Skywalker with blue eyes like that? [face_love]

20. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    I think I will sleep just a little more peacefully tonight.

It's nice to see Obi-Wan's presence bringing a little bit more peace to Beru.

I love how accepting their neighbors are of Luke. That will certainly make things a little bit easier for him.

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

21. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Ah, now Luke has them right where he wants them. They'll all bend to his will now! Maybe the Sith ought to infiltrate as little, cute babies? They'd surely have the galaxy on its knees in no time!

Love the update! [face_love]

22. Lilu

Lilu Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 15, 2000
    Another nice story. There is always something special about well-written Beru. The most underestimated person in the SW universe. :)

23. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    They do remember Shmi?s kindness and sweet spirit, and maybe they see that same gentle light in Luke?s eyes. For her alone, they would not question his arrival here. Like us, they will honor Luke for Shmi?s sake. That is how it will begin, but like us, they will soon learn to love Luke for himself.

Beru gives Luke such a sense of roots and family. Placing Luke with them was risky, no doubt, but it gave him the normalcy that he grew to depend upon later in life.

Very realistic, very well done. I loved how the whole community is accepting and willng to not ask any questions. [:D]

So Shmi's son was killed in the wars...true, from a certain point of view. o_O

24. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    dancing_star I'm having a great time writing Beru's diary. :D

Jade_eyes Owen has only met two Jedi, so perhaps his reservations are understandable. :p

earlybird-obi-wan Poor Obi-Wan! :_| I can just picture him keeping his vigil.

Gina I think sometimes I forget about Shmi being his grandmother. And for Beru and Owen that would have had a lot of meaning since they knew her so well. :(

padawan_learner86 I share your bias. :D

hyperspace_police Thank YOU for reading! [:D]

LilyHobbitJedi Thank you. [face_blush]

Jade_Pilot I'd like a handsome Jedi to guard over me. ;)

Alexis_Wingstar Thank you so much. [face_blush]

Meredith_Kenobi I'm so glad that you're enjoying the story. :)

Jinngerbread Exactly, baby Luke is ADORABLE!

KELIA Yes it will, and I think Beru is grateful.

ginchy Baby Sith? Do I sense a plot bunny? [face_laugh]

Lilu She's an incredible character, isn't she? And so ignored! :oops:

divapilot That pesky POV thing. :p

[b]Entry #4[/b]

Life is settling into a new routine, a much [i]busier[/i] routine, that?s for sure, but we?re settling in all the same. I would like to say that it?s Luke who is settling in, but that would be a lie. He?s got us both wrapped around his little finger and we?re not too proud to admit it.

Owen is going into town tomorrow for supplies. We talked about me going as well, and taking Luke with us. But decided in the end that there was no sense in exposing Luke to the danger of the trip or worrying about who might see us with a newborn and ask awkward questions.

Our friends and family already know about Luke?s arrival, and they?ve accepted our story without questions. But I think it will be a while before I feel comfortable taking Luke into town. The longer he?s with us, the more he?ll seem ?ours? and the fewer questions we?ll face. That?s our hope anyway. Luckily, the nearest town is Mos Eisley and not Mos Espa, where the Skywalker name might rouse more curiosity.

~~~~~~~~~

We had a storm come up out of nowhere last night, as they tend to do in the desert. This one worried me for two reasons. The first was because Owen had intended to go into town for supplies. Luke eats more than we expected (after all, he?s so TINY!) and our stores have almost run out. Second, one never knows how long a storm will last on Tatooine.

The storm raged all night and it soon became apparent that this one wouldn?t be over any time soon. Owen started saying that he?d have to risk the trip, no matter how bad the weather. I argued with him, telling him we could make do with other supplies until he could get more milk for Luke. I even told him that he?d do us no good if he rushed off and got himself killed, leaving me alone with a newborn to care for.

That stopped his crazy talk for about an hour, and then Luke started getting fussy and I made up another bottle for him. Owen noticed we had enough for about two more feedings and let his male pride get the better of him yet again. I love that man, but sometimes?

What would have been a horrible fight was averted when Owen risked going outside to see how bad it really was. There, buried under a mound of sand, was a box of supplies ? including milk for Luke.

We didn?t speak of who had brought it, but we both knew, and I found myself wishing that Obi-Wan would have at least come inside and shared a cup of tea with us.

The goddess knows how he made it across the dunes in such a storm. I can only pray he made it back safe to wherever he calls home.

25. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Loved it how Obi-Wan is taking care that everything Luke needs is there for him

Nice that storm challenge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.