main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A modest argument in favor of the 4,5,1,2,3,6 viewing order (and what should we call it?)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Todd Smitts, May 12, 2024.

1. Subtext Mining

Subtext Mining Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2016
    In many reaction videos I've seen, they knew Darth Vader was Luke's father, from hearing people quote that line, but didn't know it was Anakin who became Vader. RotS was the shocking twist for them.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2024
  2. Canadian Jedi Master 75

Canadian Jedi Master 75 Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 19, 2023
    Among the YouTube reactions I have seen of Empire Strikes Back. One of them was a couple from England, who had no idea before watching it that Darth Vader was Luke's father.

3. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    Forgive my scepticism

4. Canadian Jedi Master 75

Aug 19, 2023
    I can see why you would say that, because others have heard the line of Vader telling Luke he was his father, even if they had never seen any of the Star Wars movies before.

This was their reaction. You can skip ahead to the 43:50 mark when they hear that for the first time.

5. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Contrary to popular belief, "Star Wars" is not the center of everyone's universe. Not everyone talked about it in their circle of friends. Not everyone saw quiz shows. Not everyone paid attention to the marketing of the PT, twenty five years ago. Some may have seen a film once, but never paid attention to it, or recall the details due to their age. They didn't know about Norman Bates being mentally off. Nor that Dr. Malcolm Crowe was dead. Nor that Pamela Voorhees was the original killer. Who were confused about Deadpool in his first live action appearance, compared to the clips of the recent films.

Sith Lord 2015 and Sarge like this.
  6. Canadian Jedi Master 75

Aug 19, 2023
    I agree 100% that Star Wars not the centre of everyone's universe.

However, when Darth Vader tells Luke that he is his father, the line itself seems to be one that other people seem to know, because they heard it before due to pop culture references. I think it ranks up there with "Come with me if you want to live" and "I'll be back" from the Terminator franchise.

In the other movies you mentioned, I don't think they have the same wow factor compared to Vader telling Luke he was his father.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  7. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    doesn't have to be, "no! I am your father!"

we are are talking about one of the most iconic moments in movie history,

who else would Vader be freaking talking about in that movie? Piett? Ozzel?

8. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    "I'll be back" was used in many of Arnold's films between 1985-1993 where he didn't play a cyborg. Someone could see "Twins", "Commando", "The Running Man", "Total Recall" and "Last Action Hero" and think that it was popularized there.

They can know that it is connected to "Star Wars" and not realize that Vader says it, much less to Luke.

9. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    alright,

if you believe these 'first time watchers' on youtube, go right ahead, no skin off my nose ;)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2024
  10. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    wrong thread

Last edited: Aug 6, 2024
    Subtext Mining likes this.
  11. Canadian Jedi Master 75

Aug 19, 2023
    The first Terminator movie debuted in 1984 and it was the first time Arnold said "I'll be back. It was an iconic line and that's why he said it the other movies you listed.

12. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Re-read my last post. I referred to the movies where Arnold was not playing a T-800, Model 101. The first of which was "Commando" when he said it to Bennett.

13. Canadian Jedi Master 75

Aug 19, 2023
    Arnold said in an interview with Howard Stern that he told James Cameron he should say the line as "I will be be back" because that's how a robot would say it. Instead Cameron told him to say it as "I'll be back" and the rest is history.

If he had said "I will be back" there is no chance he repeats it in any of his other movies he made after the Terminator. That's why it's an iconic line and comparable to Vader telling Luke "I am your father."

14. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    It's not just them. I mentioned my cousin earlier. In 78, my immediate family saw ANH at the drive-in. Somewhere along the line, my mom's brother and his family, along with their youngest sister did. The other sister and her daughters didn't. The oldest one did in 1997-98, when her husband bought the OT SE on VHS. Though I assume that she watched it, I could be wrong. The other one hadn't watched them in 95. Maybe she had later on, but I don't know. But in 95, they knew nothing about the films and nothing about the plot.