main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A new music thread.

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Arun Dale, Mar 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ramesh

Ramesh Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2000
    Okay I've heard the new 'Phonics album about a dozen times now and I have to say its good, but not that good! :-(

I can appreciate the band's need to experiment but sadly with the exception of 'Mr Writer', there isn't really anything else on the album worth shouting about. Even a couple of upbeat tracks could have made a big difference I think. Still can't complain too much as it is a hell of a lot better than a lot crap that's around at the moment.

2. quigley

quigley Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 1, 2001
    oh dear ramesh you sound a bit disappointed.

I know what you mean, I have to admit I have been listening to 'word gets around' a lot lately much more than JEEP. I think i like the other 2 albums better.

Lets hope the travis lads will give us a great album and some UK tour dates!!!!

Are any of you guys fans of starsailor?

Ive only heard 'good souls' which I think is great, is there other stuff similar?

laura

3. ELEPHANT_MAN

ELEPHANT_MAN Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 23, 2001
    They were supporting the manics at a concert I went to recently and oh dear god they were an embarresment to watch, and pretty awful.

4. Ramesh

Oct 30, 2000
    Yeah I guess I am a little disappointed Laura. I waited so long for Kelly Jones to write some new material and we all know he is capable of so much better than what was on J.E.E.P. Ah well, its only their third album and I shouldn't be too critical. I mean every decent band has one or two poor albums right?! I just hope Travis don't follow that trend. :)

Oh and I dont think I've heard anything by Starsailor, so I couldn't tell you what their other stuff is like. I'll check them out though.

5. quigley

Feb 1, 2001
    Hey Ramesh

Have you been and listened to sing yet on the travis site?...its pretty cool check it out.

I think starsailor are on Jools Holland this Friday.

laura

6. Ramesh

Oct 30, 2000
    Oh cool! Thank you kindly. :)

7. Gav Daragon

Gav Daragon Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 25, 2000
    I've heard some good things about Starsailor

8. Ramesh

Oct 30, 2000
    You know, just for a second there Andy, I thought you were going to finish your sentence with the word 'Travis'. [face_laugh]

I must remember to video Jools Holland.

9. Gav Daragon

Gav Daragon Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 25, 2000
    [face_mischief] Yes, cos we all know how much I love them!!! ;)

10. jariten

jariten Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2000
    this month:

Stephen Malkmus- Stephen Malkmus

Mogwai- Rock Action

The Anomoanon- The Anomoanon

Bonnie 'Prince' Billy- Ease Down the Road

Low- Secret Name/Christmas/Things We Lost In the Fire

The Soft Boys- Underwater Moonlight

Melt-Banana- Teeny Shiny

I really think (don't want to offend anyone, never been to this board before, but I am from manchester!) that the UK rock scene is stagnant and dull. We seem to have become defined by the sounds of ppl like Travis, Starsailor, JJ72, Muse, Toploader etc. and i think mediocraty is the key word with those people. you've gotta turn to the USA or Japanese underground for the *real* exictment and innovation. the UK is dead as far as music is concerned.

11. quigley

Feb 1, 2001
    travis/stereophonics fans

check out this site.....

www.bbc.co.uk/radio1

its got an interview with fran + a web cast by the phonics.

laura:)

12. Ramesh

Oct 30, 2000
    Cool stuff!

I video'd Jools Holland last night. I haven't had a chance to watch it yet.

13. Arun Dale

Arun Dale Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 21, 1999
    jariten I like the cut of your jib..but please don't say such things about our 'so called' dead music industry..although I agree there is some cool stuff coming from Japan: Nigo, Takamura and El Milo, The States: Lambchop and even France: Le Tone, Phoniex and even Air ( Their new album is awfully good )

But as far as I'm concerned the British Music Industry is still very healthy and going strong..I admit that I'm a little disturbed by these whiney indie poppers - and how they just keep popping out the woodwork..But thats just the tip of the commercial iceberg..Beyond the obviousness of Radio One and the despair of Top of The Pops..there are some real gems out there..

14. jariten

Jul 23, 2000
    yeah i agree theres some good stuff about- mogwai, the delgados etc. but i really do think that the uk music scene is totally stagnant and mediocre at the minute. travis popularised a bland radio friendly approach to 'indie' which has been copied a hundred times by a hundred average bands. but that is what seems to be selling. i find stereophonics about as musically interesting and innovative as texas. its annoying. of course, the masculine intense boredom of the US nu metal scene is just as bad. ppl call that 'alternative'? its sickening. yeah i agree that you've gotta scratch beneath the surface to find the really good stuuf, its just that no-one seems willing to do it.

15. quigley

Feb 1, 2001
    Ok I think I've found another band I love
    STARSAILOR.....you can go and listen to some of their stuff at www.starsailor.net :)

laura

16. Ramesh

Oct 30, 2000
    I've now had a chance to check out some of their music and I like it too. What album(s) have they released?

17. jariten

Jul 23, 2000
    quigly- have you ever heard of elbow or clearlake? not my kinda thing really, but i think you might like them.

18. quigley

Feb 1, 2001
    ramesh I dont think they have a album out....I was reading on their site and i'm sure it said they were just recording their album. 'Good Souls' is out today:)

jariten - thanks for the recommendations....ive heard of elbow but never heard any of their stuff. ive never heard of clearlake.

have they got websites?

laura

19. Jeter

Jeter Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 3, 2000
    I don't know about you, but what I'm really psyched for is the new Travis album in June. Awwww yeah....good stuff. :)

20. Bash

Bash Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 8, 2000
    The new Stereophonics album is quite good, I think. They're so muich better when they're mellow and relaxed like this rather than trying to be a heavy metal band ala Performance & Cocktails.

I can certainly second jairiten's reccomendation of Stephen Malkmus' album. Brilliant stuff! For anyone who doesn't know, he was frontman with US indy rock legends, Pavement.

Oh, and about Starsailor. They are already starting to annoy me, how over exposed they are becoming. Good Souls was a great track before the radio and TV played it like every hour.

21. Ramesh

Oct 30, 2000
    Jeter, yeah I'm really looking forward to the Travis album too.

Laura, have Travis finalised any concert dates yet?

I do like mellow rock music (Coldplay and Travis come immediately to mind), but J.E.E.P just doesn't seem to appeal to me on that level.

22. Bash

Bash Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 8, 2000
    Laura, Elbow are brilliant. I don't think that they have a website yet, though.

23. quigley

Feb 1, 2001
    ramesh i emailed you about travis dates...hope you get it:)

jeter - i cant wait until the new album, dont get me talking about travis cause i wont stop!

only just brought 'the bends' by radiohead, i wish i'd brought it ages ago.

nice to see you back bash:)

laura

24. Ramesh

Oct 30, 2000
    Yes I just saw your e-mail, thanks Laura. :)
    I'll visit travis-online in just a sec.

'The Bends' is an awesome album. Do you own 'OK Computer' as well? If not, you *have* to get it!

25. quigley

Feb 1, 2001
    Yeah ramesh ive got ok computer i only brought it about 2 months ago. its a dam good album:)

laura

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.