main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC A Thread For Artwork Ver 2 (See first post rules before posting)

Discussion in 'Community' started by VadersLaMent, May 4, 2022.

1. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
  3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  4. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    [​IMG]

Fei - Changeling Warlock/Bard by Thomas Shirley "Madmanartist"

Juliet316, Iron_lord and Gamiel like this.
  5. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    The Guardian’s 1000 Artworks You Must See Before You Die

Mask with Almond-Shaped Face (19th/20th Century) – The Fang
    Medium: Painted Exotic Wood

[​IMG]

Have to admit, I don’t find this one particularly interesting, especially not when compared to the other three we’ve seen so far. But this mask probably made it onto this list because it is rather historically and culturally significant. This mask was owned by Andre Derain, a significant 20th Century artist who was a founding member of the Fauvist movement and an early adopter of Primitivism, which was, you guessed it, very connected to his fascination with African art.

Masks influenced Derain a lot during his post-Fauve career. For instance, take a look at the image above and then take a look at Derain’s Last Supper below.

[​IMG]

I think the influences on the facial features are pretty obvious. So, it’s kind of cool that this isn’t just a mask of the kind that influenced Derain; this is one of the actual masks that did it – he literally owned this very mask, probably purchased it in 1906 and then, as an example, he painted The Last Supper in 1911. Anyway, not a particularly striking piece of art in and of itself in my opinion, but certainly a significant and influential one.

6. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
  7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    The Invaders/MCEU by KingCozy7 on DeviantArt
    [​IMG]
    "We have a plan... ATTACK"

Cast:
    ??? as Jacques Dernier
    Jovan Adepo as Gabe Jones
    Dennis Quaid as Nick Fury
    ??? as Dum Dum Dugan
    ??? as Jim Morita
    Lily Colins as Peggy Carter
    Tom Hardy as James "Logan" Howlett
    Matthew Goode as Robert Frank/The Whizzer
    Jordan Patrick Smith as Jim Hammond/Human Torch
    Robbie Amell as Bucky Barnes
    Tom Hopper as Steve Rogers/Captain America
    Ed Skrein as Brian Falsworth/Union Jack
    Lewis Tan as Namor The Sub-Mariner
    Adrian Pasdar as Howard Stark
    Alexander Skarsgård as Master Man
    Christopher Eccleston as Baron Von Stucker
    Ralph Fiennes as Red Skull
    Mads Mikkelsen as Baron Zemo
    Rainn Wilson as Arnim Zola

Story:
    Before the United States had formally entered the conflict, an elite fighting unit was formed to halt the growing Nazi aggression. Though this team was at first difficult to assemble. Steve rogers was just a boy from Brooklyn but with a heart of gold. His close childhood friend Bucky Barnes both joined the army. Bucky was ready for war but Steve was nowhere close due to his frail size. But Steve didn't care, He wanted to help serve his country no matter what. So they put Steve into the “Super Soldier Project”. The project goal was to see if they can enhance a soldier abilities. Steve Rogers was the first successful subject. He gained enhanced abilities, agility and speed. But during the process of his transformation, a Nazi spy stole some of the serum that was injected into Steve. The Nazi escaped and went to his leader known as The Red Skull. The Red Skull injected some of the serum as well to become as strong as Steve Rogers. At first Steve was just the army’s mascot named “Captain America” going around during tours as propaganda. But when a another Nazi spy came to his show threatening people with a bomb, Steve saved the day and showed the the army that he’s he much more than just a mascot. So with special training, Steve and Bucky was ready to go to war. They gone many successful mission even rescuing the special unit named “The Howling Commandos” and eventually join the group. But on one mission with Howling commandos, Bucky and half of the unit was ambushed and captured by Red Skull’s special unit. The remaining soldiers was Steve and Union Jack. So they came up with a plan to create another team with stronger members. Jim Hammond was an android that an inventor named Howard Stark was working on. But with military technology at the time. They upgraded Jim to have the power of fire and flight. He regularly was trying to help Namor The Sub-mariner from Nazi attacks. Namor was an Atlantean that grew up with hatred for the surface world. Buts since he was half human, he also saw it as his other home. And with so much war going on he decided to help. They decided to join Steve’s new team along with a speedster named Robert Frank but he goes by “The Whizzer.” The team was set and ready to rescue their captured soldiers. They went to the Red Skull headquarters and successfully rescued their friends but the mission wasn't over yet. The Red Skull had another plan to bomb the U.S. He had 7 planes ready to strike while he runs into his own escape plane. Steve and Bucky chased after The Red skull while the rest of team tried to defuse the bombs. Namor, Jim, Robert was successful of diffusing the bombs. On the other hand Steve and Bucky was in an intense battle against the Red Skull. But with the plane about to explode, Red Skull ejected out. Leaving Bucky sacrificing himself to save Steve’s life. He pushed Steve out of the plane as soon it exploded.Steve was left in the middle of the freezing ocean and since then he was reported MIA. The world was saved but at the cost of the 2 bravest soldiers.Since then Nick Fury took in charge of The Howling Commandos and Namor went back to Atlantis. Jim body shut down since his last mission. Leaving Robert to do solo missions alone. But the world will never the forget the team known as "The Invaders!"
    Now we draw our attentions towards a School for gifted youngsters...

Credits:
    dudebrah Nova20X LoganWaynee TheNightDestroyer LieutenantAleka NicoLegoYus EpicKoolAdeFilms

deewhir for correcting story

Update 5/3
    I added and updated the characters

Update 5/23
    I added and updated the characters...again

[​IMG] [​IMG] I REALLY hope u guys like it![​IMG] [​IMG]

The Avengers EMH x DCAU Justice League by rymslm on DeviantArt
    [​IMG]

Oh Canada by Inspector97 on DeviantArt
    [​IMG]
    It's not Canada Day yet... but I've not posted the updated image... so here it is [​IMG] From left to right: Ghost Girl, Silver Fox, Captain Canuck, Wolverine, Deadpool. Puck, Snowbird, Sasquatch, Aurora, Equinox, Atomic Betty, Nelvana, Guardian, Vindicator, North Star and Shaman

Juliet316, Master_Lok and Iron_lord like this.
  8. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    [​IMG]

War Horn by Yang J

9. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
  10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  11. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    [​IMG]

Dormant Sentient by Cristian Alberto Vasquez

12. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Last edited: May 27, 2022
  13. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004
  14. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
  15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Tilean Knight by LordCarmi on DeviantArt
    [​IMG]

Tilean Myrmidia Knight by LordCarmi on DeviantArt
    [​IMG]
    "If I remember well the Spear is the sacred weapon of the Goddess Myrmidia, the Goddess of War in Warhammer Fantasy. Myrmidia is largely worshiped in the South Realms."

Warhammer Tilean Henchmen by LordCarmi on DeviantArt
    [​IMG]
    "bravi (sp. bravos) Name known above all through the Manzoni's Promessi Sposi, with whom in the sec. 16th and 17th centuries were called the henchmen in the pay of the lords, bodyguards and executors together of iniquitous orders and crimes. The livery they wore was mostly enough to guarantee them impunity.
    -Treccani
    "

Juliet316 and Iron_lord like this.
  16. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    [​IMG]

Witches by Bogdan Rezunenko

Master_Lok, Iron_lord and Gamiel like this.
  17. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    VadersLaMent, Gamiel and Iron_lord like this.
  18. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
  19. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Joe Quesada Daredevil s1 concept art homage

[​IMG]

Marco Checchetto ink test Matt Murdock homage (Look Ma, I drew hands :p)

[​IMG]

And Finn Jones’ Danny Rand/Iron Fist
    (Very happy with all of these, but delighted that I nailed his eyes on the first pass.)
    [​IMG]

20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  21. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  22. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    [​IMG]

The Blind Prophet by Baptiste Miny

23. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  24. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Gamiel, Iron_lord and Juliet316 like this.
  25. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    The Guardian’s 1000 Artworks You Must See Before You Die

Mask with Two Faces, One Horned (1900 – 1920) – The Ekoi
    Media: Carved Wood, Pigskin, Bone
    Locations: The Manchester Museum

[​IMG]

The Guardian’s list includes four masks from The Manchester Museum, but The Manchester Museum is in a bit of a transitional period; they’re currently closed until February of 2023 as they “transform in a more inclusive, imaginative & caring museum,” so whatever that means. So, their collection appears to be mostly offline as well. The first two masks on the Guardian’s list, I couldn’t really find any info on. Those would be Mask with Crest on Cylindrical Head by the Vai and Mask with Realistic Painted Face by the Yoruba. I’ve made a note on those and I will be circling back to them later, should this project continue on, and I think it’s going to, so hopefully we’ll catch those when The Manchester Museum gets back into full swing.

Regardless, I tracked down some info on this one and I’ve linked to the museum’s archived blog post about two-faced masks. So, this isn’t the official catalog page from the museum because there isn’t one at the moment and the image isn’t as good as some of the ones I’ve been linking to. Still, I think you get the drift. There’s obviously a lot of symbolism in terms of the two faces and what they can represent when it comes to two-faced masks. Sometimes they represent male & female or the two aspects of a deity or the future and the past. They were usually made so they could actually be worn either way; it’s not a case where there is a front and a back; they were really were usually dual purpose. I think there’s probably something significant about the horns here being on only one of the faces. There are other examples at the above link where both faces are horned. Anyway, do I like it? Not really. I find this one kind of creepy, which may be part of the point; not sure what kind of rituals this would have been used for.