main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC A Thread For Artwork Ver 2 (See first post rules before posting)

Discussion in 'Community' started by VadersLaMent, May 4, 2022.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord 36X Wacky Wednesday star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 2, 2012
  2. Subtext Mining

Subtext Mining Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2016
    Jef Bourgeau

[​IMG]

Clara Beckmann

[​IMG]

Missy Wiggins

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2023
  3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    [​IMG]

Titled "Work for my newest game, about Galaxy Theme 2" by Keyi Li

Juliet316 , Master_Rebado and Gamiel like this.
  4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  5. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
  6. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    You may remember when I was doing a project going through the Guardian's 1000 Artworks You Must See Before You Die. Well, I let it go for a while, but I'm going to hopefully be getting back into it now.

The Guardian’s 1000 Artworks You Must See Before You Die

[​IMG]

Oba Sacrificing Leopards (16th Century) – The Edo
    Media: Brass, Iron

With this post, we begin a series focusing on the work of the Benin Empire, one of the most artistically significant civilizations of pre-colonial Africa. This list has a lot of stuff from the Benin Empire and I’m really fascinated by it because it’s an entire culture I’d never heard of before discovering it here on this list. I’ll share some details about the Empire as we go.

The Empire arose out of the Ogiso Empire in the late 12th Century when the Edo people established a new ruler instead of allowing the son of the final Ogiso ruler to ascend to the throne. At that time, the Empire, located in what is now Nigeria, was known as the Igodomigodo Empire. The capital was then known as Edo. The name Benin would not arise until much later. In the mid-fifteenth century one particularly disgruntled ruler of the Empire used the Yoruba word “ubini,” meaning “vexation,” to refer to his duties as the Oba, the divinely appointed ruler, and the word was soon corrupted to “bini” and then “benin,” to refer to both the capital city and the empire as a whole.

We’ll get into how this brass plaque (along with a whole lot of other things) ended up in the British Museum, though you probably have a reasonably good guess already. This plaque was originally displayed in the Oba’s palace in Benin City. It depicts part of the coronation ceremony when the new Oba would sacrifice two leopards.

I’m not super crazy about the figures here, but if you go to the British Museum page, you can zoom way in and it’s all the crazy filigree and detail on this one that kind of knocks me out.

Next time, more work in brass as the African empire of Benin begins to experience pre-Colonial contact with Europe and depict that contact in their art.

7. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
  8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  9. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    [​IMG]

Rabbit story by Marcin Rubinkowski

10. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
  11. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
  12. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    [​IMG]

Goddess of Truth: Portrait of Wonder Woman by Heath Jett

13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  14. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  15. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
  16. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    [​IMG]

Out of the Forest by Sekiq

Juliet316 , Iron_lord and Ghost like this.
  17. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000

[​IMG]

Brass Figure of a Portuguese Soldier Holding a Musket (16th Century) – The Edo
    Media: Brass

As we talked about last time, the Benin Empire seriously established itself in the 12th Century. It grew and expanded to cover a large portion of territory in modern day Nigeria. The capital city was situated on the coast and the Empire quickly gained control of the coast as an avenue of trade. The first European contact was in 1485 when Portuguese explorers reached Benin. They were more interested in trade than conquering and colonization, so the Edo and the Portuguese formed a surprisingly long-lasting relationship of friendly commerce. The English would not arrive in Benin until after 1550, so for a while relationships were good. The Edo actually sent an ambassador to Lisbon, Portugal, in the early 1500s and welcomed Christian missionaries from Portugal into Benin City. As late as the 1800s, many residents of Benin could speak a rough dialect of Portuguese. This friendly relationship was, of course, destined to end in tragedy, but more on that later.

Right now, here’s an example of the Edo depicting the Portuguese and it’s kind of fascinating to see an indigenous population producing images of the Europeans who would soon enough create havoc. Figures like this were common and were often kept on altars or as decorations in the king’s palace. At this time, the Portuguese were probably seen in a very positive light since they were bringing luxury goods from Europe to the Edo.

I think this is really fascinating. The level of detail, again, is what’s really striking about this. This is apparently incredibly historically accurate, right down to the patterns on the armor. It’s not super-clear from the pictures what the scale of this thing is, so I was initially thinking these were sort of action figure sizes, but, no, this piece is over a foot tall, so these were hefty little statues. I really like this one.

Next time, a look at the dark side of Benin and another brass plaque.

18. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
  19. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    [​IMG]

The Puppeteer of the Damned by Aria Safarzadegan

20. Juliet316

Juliet316 Time-Traveling F&G Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Apr 27, 2005
  21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  22. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
  23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  24. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    [​IMG]

Lemegeton: No 45 Vine by OTL Miu

Gamiel and Iron_lord like this.
  25. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000

[​IMG]

Two Chiefs in Pangolin Costumes (16th Century) – The Edo
    Media: Brass

We’re about to enter a dark period of the history of the Empire of Benin, so it’s probably appropriate to briefly consider the dark side of Benin itself. Benin, after all, was an empire and, if history has taught us anything, it’s that empires are not kind. Like the indigenous empires of South America, the Empire of Benin practiced human sacrifice as part of its religion. It was a violent and warlike empire. Benin maintained good trade relations with the Portuguese and the British for decades and it’s worth remembering that a good portion of that trade was in slaves. It strikes us as hard to believe these days, but the fact that African tribes and civilizations were active participants in the sale of their own countrymen as slaves can’t be denied and the Edo were part of that. None of this is intended to paint the Edo as worse than any other given empire of the time; every slave they sold, of course, a European bought. Nor is this intended to justify the fall of Benin. Whatever evils lurked within the Empire, the story of its fall is tinged with tragedy and inextricably bound up with the Benin Bronzes and the British Museum’s current “ownership” of those bronzes. More on that later.

For now, here’s another bronze from the collection. Like many indigenous cultures, the culture of the Edo revolved around animals. The leaders of the Edo were often identified with leopards and snakes, but here we see two chiefs dressed as a somewhat more adorable animal, the humble pangolin. I do love pangolins. Though I suspect that these costumes were made using actual pangolin scales and the pangolin is currently today the most trafficked mammal in the world, specifically because of its scales. So, not cool. And since a female pangolin tends to only have one to two offspring a year, while a pangolin dies every ten minutes, the clock is quickly running out on these strange & beautiful creatures. Save the pangolins.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next time I may skip the history lesson, because the artwork itself is somewhat complicated. Anyway, it’s another bronze plaque.