main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit After the High Republic - what next?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sinrebirth , Jan 5, 2024.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    THR finishes 2025.

AusStig likes this.
  2. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    Yep. When the next one comes just depends on if they are working on the next publishing initiative right now or not. High Republic was developed for about two years prior to being released so it does take a lot of time to develop that new era.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2024
    MercenaryAce and Ghost like this.
  3. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I want the Old Republic, but I doubt it will happen anytime soon. With no current plans to make a ToR era movie,

I would love to see DoTJ books/comics also, but I don’t think that will happen prior to the movie, if it even comes out…..

But I still prefer seeing a pre-TPM era, where the old Jedi Order exists.

That leaves just the centuries gap between end of Old Republic and High Republic.

A story set 100+ years after the Galactic Republic forms could give us something new.

Enough time that no humans (and aliens with same lifespan) remember the Sith and the Old Republic, but those things still exist in living memory in long lived aliens (Hutts, etc). Give us a Republic that is still quite fresh….compared to its predecessor. The galaxy and Jedi Order still in reconstruction phase, a Coruscant that still has battle ruins. A young Yoda whom is either a Jedi apprentice or a knight. I wonder if Disney will ever show us that version of him.

Then again if none of these ideas will happen, then the next best thing is books/comics about Luke’s Academy, even though we know it’s sad end. I prefer stories about him, Ben, and the other students over Rey.

AusStig likes this.
  4. StarWarsFan1997

StarWarsFan1997 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jun 22, 2005
    I wouldn't mind if there was a gap before the next multimedia project, since it would free up the schedule for more books and comics set in different era, including the underdeveloped ST era - I would like to read more novels like Shadow of the Sith. It's ironic that during the first years of the new Canon and build up to TFA, I used to complain about the lack of PT attention, and that only started to change when the seventh season of Clone Wars was announced. Now I feel like the PT has gotten too much attention from publishing. The Force needs to be brought back into balance.

One unfortunate side effect of the Disney+ stuff is that Lucasfilm seems afraid to release books and comics that tie into the Mandoverse timeline. The reason we got Shadow of the Sith is because Adam Christopher's Mandoverse novel was cancelled. There are a lot of characters that have been introduced in Mandalorian, BoBF and Ahsoka that I would like to see further explored (see my forum avatar for instance), but it doesn't seem like we'll get any new material related to these shows for a while.

jedi_master_ousley likes this.
  5. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jedi Master Frizzy Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I think it will either be Sold Republic or the Recovery era between Old Republic and High Republic. See the Prison Citadel being build could be cool. There been more and more hints of Old Republic recently. The Nameless, Darth Momin, new introduced Sith Lord in High Republic comics. The mask of a Sith warlord that Luke fights in Shadows of the Sith.

6. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    While I haven’t particularly enjoyed the High Republic aside from Phase 2 (really liked the Path of the Open Hand), the actual idea of another multimedia project is very welcome. I think something halfway between THR and what we got in 2016-2018 with “the Death Star Saga” (Rebels/Rogue One/Thrawn books/Catalyst) would be my ideal. And with Bad Batch coming to an end there is an opening for another animated series…

If NJO is the next film in the pipeline then that might free up things around the ST somewhat. I don’t really buy into the notion that the Mandoverse/New Republic era should be a slave to setting up the Sequels despite being 25-24 years out from them, but perhaps something closer to TFA dealing with Luke’s Jedi Order could cover a lot of ideas and concepts that the ST didn’t get into. Get a dozen novelists and comic writers, co-ordinated with a 3 season animated series and that could be very enriching. Of course there are cons, what with most of Luke’s order dying and Ben’s downfall which might make it hard for some to get invested and a portion of the fandom just outright averse to ST content. But for me I could get behind it. (Also they could sneakily get Exar Kun in there as an antagonist.)

You could also do the 15 year gap leading up to NJO after TRoS. It’s a lot more tricky because working in tandem with a film production hasn’t always gone smoothly and there are probably more constraints in the storytelling. But as with above, I wouldn’t mind seeing the world building for that era which I’m not confident the film would really cover.

As a bonus, I wouldn’t mind a smaller scale project with a few books and tie-in comics set in the Unknown Regions covering the different kingdoms and nations during a Grysk-Chiss war happening in tandem with the Skywalker Saga. Though that one it’s a selfish wish as it would probably be only myself and @Sinrebirth who be excited for that.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2024
  7. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    @SyndicThrass ooooooh. I'd love that. But yeah, nobody else would. chuckles

SyndicThrass and Jedi Ben like this.
  8. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    The fact that only one film is announced instead of trilogy gives me more hope for world building for that era since there is a lesser chance for mystery boxes that require the past events to be vague.

SyndicThrass likes this.
  9. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I think they said it's an unofficial trilogy with the Filoni movie and the movie set in the Old Republic times.

10. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Unless there is some cross film linkage, that is likely to be dubious marketing bollocks.

Plus, it'd be good for the films to move away from an expectation of a trilogy.

11. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I suppose the threat in NJO could be detailed upon in DotJ, and it originates in Peridea so it dovetails with the Thrawn Arc... but we'd have to see.

Something something Zeffo/Mother, presumably.

SyndicThrass and Jedi Ben like this.
  12. Darth Vectivus

Darth Vectivus Jedi Padawan star 3

Dec 9, 2023
    Old Republic its High Republic but better you can explore so much years in this era

Last edited: Jan 8, 2024
  13. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    pius dea era

Chrissonofpear2, HMTE and AusStig like this.
  14. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    I'd like to see somethign focused on the Hutts. Since while they have been around for a long time, they never get much focus.

HMTE likes this.
  15. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    The project is coming to an end, inevitably.

What do you want? What do you expect? What would make you squee?

I want ST and NJO material.

Yesterday.

Do I expect we'll get it? Nope. I expect KotoR material.

Fredrik Vallestrand and Golbolco like this.
  16. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Truthfully, I wish the High Republic was more of a setting than a story arc. Part of me thinks it was a mistake to do a single century spanning storyline for this era, similar to the NJO, rather than it just be a portion of the GFFA timeline that they can play in for many many stories, characters, games etc.

"After" should be exploring, in a open-ended way, the potential for the setting between the timeline of Phase 2 and Phases 1 & 3. The Nihil aren't that interesting to me as villains, especially in seizing control of a portion of the galaxy, where I think they would be better used as mooks. Pre-phase 1 with proto-Nihil as pirates,not a potentially galactic threat, I think would be a much better use of them.

I genuinely think there needs to be a concerted effort to write stories in the High Republic setting more akin to The Living Force, where Jedi come down from the mountain top and interact with people on a more mundane level. The founding of outposts through the Pathfinder teams, Jedi doing outreach in the mid and outer rims. I want to see more daily life at a Jedi outpost, and less derring-do. How do Jedi use the Force to help regular folks in outlying systems without sparking a lightsaber and getting into a fight? How does the meditation and study at an outpost interact with locals?

I find that more interesting for depicting what was lost going into the Skywalker Saga and what would need to be found again for a viable New Jedi Order.

I guess I don't really want to see another big publishing initiative that is driven by an overarching story. I want to see stories in this setting, mostly unconnected to the Nihil saga, about what it even means to be a Jedi in this era and how they come to a golden age of gilded robes and a Camelot-like Republic.

Last edited: May 23, 2024
  17. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    If the movies and TV shows don't have any plans to tell the Darth Bane story I think there is a good chance the next big publishing initiative will be them telling the end of the Jedi and Sith war. Right now publishing has made a lot of references to Darth Bane whereas the only onscreen material mentioning him as of yet (we will see if this still holds true after Acolyte) is that one Yoda season 7 episode.

As of this point it looks like onscreen material has more plans to move things forward and to go back to the very, very beginning.

Whatever happens though there is no doubt that they will do another one. High Republic has gotten a great response overall (they are having completely separate panels for High Republic at the Star Wars conventions) and the books have sold better than your normal Star Wars novel.

Fredrik Vallestrand and Jedi Ben like this.
  18. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    The High Republic isn't done for a long time I bet. Even if the 3 Phases will end, Acolyte as a capstone and before that the games, if ever released, or other series will expand that era and its versatile story potential for decades.

Kinda like the Dark Times should be over many times now but seem to never end...

As for other eras opened, Dawn of the Jedi is very likely and a free reigns playground kinda. More so than the heavy baggage expectations for any New Jedi Order/ST era and its capping function.

If done right, they could do many things in many places, but they tend to go the easy route sadly.

With the very focussed Saga eras close to the movies, I think any far removed era, be that Dawn of post-ST will be much more like VISIONS, less defined and set and more a many versions of what could be/have been and seeing how fan reaction will help them determine where the money is and what take to follow through with more of it. And then retcons to tie any other attempts into the same narrative, like many origins and many legacies of the one and only Saga Era.

Peridea and other galaxies opens many possibilities, but following through with that seems to need a lot of backing.

Given SWs focus on a used universe and history being crucial for stories told, I'd say stuff without known characters like Acolyte etc. is needed and expanding the universe more than any ongoing Saga era character fame based stuff. And IF a new hit cast emerges, they should stick to it and expand a new era around it. Not throw too many characters out there like High Rep did.. nor keep successful characters discontinued like they did for others in too many other projects that too slowly continued or stopped entirely.

Overall, if Disney wants a new bigselling Saga like the numbered movies (regardless of reception, the ST sold!) they need a solid cast that is not a one hit wonder. But they are afraid to promote anything to that level... so why not let this cast naturally emerge out of several projects that then come together for a big movie like a best of all before. Not Avengers style but... kinda.

19. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    True. But that's more of a movie discussion and not really publishing related such as what High Republic was. With publishing there are lots of things they can do.

20. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    they will do something that we won't predict End of thread lol

21. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    During the initial planning period of High Republic one of the time periods they were given as an option to explore was 10,000 BBY. So that might be something they go back to.

22. HMTE

HMTE Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 7, 2021
    The High-er Republic.

ColeFardreamer likes this.
  23. Carib Diss

Carib Diss Jedi Padawan star 2

Mar 31, 2024
    The next obvious choice would frankly be post IX.

Actually pushing the timeline forward rather than merely pushing past Endor.

24. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    They won't go there because they have a movie planned and they won't want publishing to step on its toes.

AusStig and Jedi Ben like this.
  25. Carib Diss

Carib Diss Jedi Padawan star 2

Mar 31, 2024
    We are talking after the high Republic is finished, and it's not like they will instantly create a new publishing movement the moment the high Republic finishes

And also movies can have tie-in material released before or during its release.