main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Aliens Vs. Predator Movies Discussion Thread (First 5 Minutes of AVP2 Online Legally!)

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Feb 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    I believe all the movies are cannon.

heres the way I see it.

The pyramid was destroyed so no need for young predators to come to Earth. Secondly hunting parties could not come to earth without risk of exposure by the human population. The predators knew that their time as a hunters on Earth was over. Its like japanese honeybee, when a giant japanese wasp comes to the honeybees' hive to scout for a killing party. They the honeybees gang up and kill the scout before it can escape and tell the others. The humans one earth would kill the predators when they landed again. So any information they Yutani corporation would have would be from previous. Thus the predators legend would be buried by time. And any mention of the xenos with it. remember the predalien happened within days of the weyland incident. Its possible whatever was told to the weyland crew on the boat from the only survivor was buried soon after the crash in colorado. Yutuni decided that the pred/alien problem was something the humans werent ready for. She probably got her info on the preds directly from the survivor herself. Plus any war with the predators would mean they the predators could unleash the aliens onto the Earth to simply wipe the human population out. Not honorable but a simple solution to a thorny species without knowledge of the aliens. Thus the secret of intelligent life was buried for good measure.

So when WY would have come upon the signal all they would have known it as an alien signal. The humans at the highest level would know that they werent alone but with a signal it would mean that perhaps there are more aliens then just the predators who are advanced. Perhaps language experts could see that the signal was related to the preds but not the same. Which they could conclude was another alien species. Which to the humans was the enemy of my enemy kind of deal. What they didnt know was that the ship had the xenos and the space jockeys probably worked with the preds as an independant.

but with a xeno, the tide of war could be turned. The previous information from the twentieth century would have told the execs at WY the versatility of an intelligent bioweapon. They could use it against the predators if they ever find their homeworld and are at war or use it against human enemies. Greed takes over instead of survival of the human race. Thus, as they the company expands and uses the xenos for bioweapons. They also find the aliens whether or preds or spacejockeys are releasing the xenos to torment the human race due to the fact that they the humans are meddlesome and greedy.

Perhaps the space jockey was originally delivering the eggs to another area that was different so the hunting parties could have different areas to hunt.

Perhaps each clan has it own hunting planet or planets and the space jockeys are contracted to keep the planets stocked with viable prey in which to hunt. The planet Earth belonged to one clan that ruled for centuries until they realized their training ground on earth wasnt feasible any longer. Imagine the predator clans like a bigger badass form of the mafia.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't think the Yautja would use a dishonorable method like that- they specifically do not go after weak or unworthy prey unless they pose a direct threat- and even then the Predator would fight honorably with a fairly equivilent amount of weaponry.

3. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Here's something that always bothered me about AVP.

So the humans basically serve as slaves and hosts to get the xenos up for the Preds to hunt, right?

Preds don't think much of humans...they are slaves and incubators.

So why then do the preds come looking for human prey in the Pred films? It would seem they have been monitoring human violence for eons, and yet, if they ruled over humans in the past, why would they consider us good prey?

All I can think is that it takes one AWESOME human weapon to actually make a Pred take notice and start a hunt.

Or...humans are b-level prey kept on the nature preserve of the galaxy to keep Preds in shape for "real" prey.

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I recall reading somewhere that Predators consider humans "soft prey" and xenos "hard prey". I'm thinking that as out technology developed and our means of war and violence became more widespread and effective, the Preds saw either great training grounds in our violent regions or the chance of worthier prey.

5. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    To the humans without intimate knowledge of the predators they could only speculate what they were to do. The predators may not have wanted to but they could have and thats what made them a threat. Nobody cared if they were killing during war. Thats fair play. plus the humans were used as prey because they could think and outwit the predators. They were smaller and not so dangerous as an individual unless similar in size to the predator. But in numbers they were really dangerous.

The predators didnt want to go to earth anymore cause the humans knew of their presensce and were activately trying to get their technology. Not really worth the hassel of hunting them. The odds were with the humans that eventually they would get the technology and exploit it to the hunters chagrin. So if they stayed away then no issues with being discovered.

6. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    I saw this the other day and thought it was alright. It would have been nice to see more of the homeworld of the Predators but I can understand why we didn't. The action was nice and kept up a decent pace in the film. The SFX looked good. Pretty much I was happy with this movie except for not being able to tell what was happening sometimes during the close up action scenes. If you liked the first one you'll probably like this one too. If not don't bother wasting your time and money.

7. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    The Predators always come off as having a code of honour I don't think they would try to wipe out humans at by unleashing aliens, they'd do it themselves in combat.
    As for hunting on Earth I remember reading in a Predator comic that said visits by Predators would probably increase as Human technology improved as it made the hunts more challenging for them.

8. Beowulf

Beowulf Jedi Master star 5

May 28, 1999
    Saw this movie over the weekend, and I felt like I was watching caricatures of the first Predator movie and Alien & Aliens. It's obvious the Brothers Strause are fans of both series, but they do not have the artistic vision to actually produce something original or reinvent ;the two series. They did a great homage job to both series at least.

9. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999

I saw "A vs. P: Requiem" last week. Overall, a good (though not great) movie - I liked it slightly better than the first "A vs. P". The action/fight scenes were great, and parts of the film were scary/disturbing/unexpected.

However, ss a long time fan of the "Alien" and "Predator" movies, the problems I had with this film were:

* There should have been a lot more build-up - we saw the Aliens/Predators too soon in the film. If you look at "Alien/Aliens" and the two "Predator" films, there was a lot of tense build-up before you actually saw the monsters - this was very effective.
    Granted, I guess the movie producers/director figured that we already know what the Aliens/Predators look like so there's no reason to wait to show them, but still, more build-up would've really helped the movie.

* Going along with this, the movie was WAY too short - I think it clocked at 86 minutes (including the credits). That's barely an hour and a half, and I think the film would definitely have benefited from being an hour and 50 minutes or two hours long.

10. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Unfortunately, hollywood is going this way...as theater attendance continues to fall and the all important "tv slotting" comes up more and more in producers minds (many have said as much) the 90 minute flick, though long a standard, will be increasingly adhered to.

At 86 minutes, AVPR will fit perfectly into a 2 hour tv time slot with commercial breaks included and minus any "theatrically extreme" moments shall we say.

Unless you get a director/producer with balls and the clout to back it up (which this film certainly did not) don't expect more then 100 minutes from any film in the year or so to come.

11. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    I saw it last weekend and it was everything I expected it to be, in a good way. There were some character/plot points that I thought could have been improved but I really enjoyed it, in my opinion it was better than the first. I agree with what Blur said, an extra 30 minutes or so could have really added to the film.

12. Beowulf

Beowulf Jedi Master star 5

May 28, 1999
    One key difference I noticed between AVP and AVP:R was that the first AVP at least attempted some characterization. AVP:R tried, but didn't quite make you even feel the slightest for the characters. They were all but cardboard cutouts moving across the screen.

30 minutes would've made a huge difference in this movie. It could've added a bit more tension, such as waiting for the Aliens and Predator, adding character development, and so on.

Character development is what sets Alien/Aliens and Predator from the AVP series. And it is one huge difference that can make an okay film better.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Personally, I would have preferred they cut down the attempts at human character development even further and make it more obvious that Wolf was the main character. Just cut out all the establishing scenes for the human characters and have our first encounters with them be Wolf's first encounter with them, or at least the Predalien or Xenos.
    It would have sharpened the focus of the film and make the cardboard characters actually very fitting for the perspective of the film. AVPR is the best example yet of showing that it is very possible to make a pretty decent movie that doesn't focus on human characters (I'm looking at you, Transformers...).

14. Panther50

Apr 7, 2004
    I was finally able to see the movie yesterday and I thought it was great, a big improvement over the first one AVP and I think better then the last Alien movie. I thought the action was good and it had a good amount of suspense and making it gorier definitely helped. I think they could have made it longer and there were a few missed opportunities. When They were riding around in that APC I was waiting for an alien attack to see them fire that turret gun or maybe run a few over.
    Also I Know that the "Wolf" Predator was meant to taking care of evidence of the crashed ship, so why did he kill that sheriff then skin him, surely he knows thats going to stick out, plus he must know hes on a tight time frame dealing with the aliens so why waste the time skinning him. It didn't make any sense to me.
    But overall I'd say it was pretty good.

15. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005

He probably killed the Sheriff because the Sheriff saw what "Wolf" was doing and "Wolf" didn't want any witnesses. So he killed and skinned the Sheriff as a message to the humans saying, "Stay out of my way."

16. Panther50

Apr 7, 2004
    If thats his reasoning He obviously hasn't been to Earth before, because skinning a guy tends to get alot of attention and put more people in his way.

17. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Does AVP-R transfer to video well? I felt the movie was too damn dark to view on the big screen and I missed out on so much of the scenes because I simply couldn't comprehend what was going on

18. Yodas-evil-twin

Yodas-evil-twin Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 3, 2005
    Saw this last night and thought it was completely awful.

19. Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord

Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2004
    My only major problem with these flicks is the filmmakers utter lack of respect for the source material. Particularly the incubation period of the Xenos.. It's like they're a new breed or something "instant Xenos! Twice the Xeno, half the time."

It's sad because it's something that could easily have been fixed if they cared enough to set the story up properly. But, no, they had to go and rush right into the gory-action, as usual...

Plus, and it's been a while since I watched it, but I seem to remember that they vilified the Xenomorphs and glorified the Predator to a certain extent. Now, as I said, it's been a while, so I might remember it wrong.

Did anyone feel like that Predator was like the Sherlock Holmes of Predators? The stuff he was doing while tracking that Pred-Alien was almost comical, very CSI... I get that they are supreme hunters and trackers, I'm just saying, it was kinda funny.

Anyway, I'll have to watch it again to give a more in-depth critique... And, honestly, there were quite a few things I liked about it.

D_M_S_L

20. Panther50

Apr 7, 2004
    In fairness for all we know the Aliens in the AVP movies might be a more advanced breed then the ones in the other movies, allowing them to breed faster.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think it's almost intentional- the Predator (Wolf) really felt like the main character, and I think the movie is much more interesting and successful if you watch the movie with that POV in mind, since the human material is basically cookiee-cutter Planet Terror cliches.

And Wolf was supposed to be acting as The Cleaner- he's the guy they send to mop things up when other Predators screw up and leave a mess. They don't want a hunting ground like Earth over run with Xenos, and they don't want us cloning Xenos or acquiring Predator tech. So Wolf is the guy to go in and take care of buisness, dispose the bodies, etc. Plus, I imagine a Predalien would be seen as a high priority in either a hunting or social context.

Like I've mentioned earlier in in this thread- when they show Wolf in his chair on the homeworld, I just like thinking he's pissed off cause he had plans that weekend, and now he's gotta go clean up the newbies' mess instead. :D

Really, ignore the humans, focus on Wolf, and the movie is supremely awesome.

22. Jedipete33

Jedipete33 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 26, 2004
    I suggest to anyone who enjoys this film to watch the commentary by the Brothers Strause. It's a very entertaining track to listen to. They talk about a lot of stuff they wanted to do but were limited by the budget. Here's some interesting facts -

Some Spoilers

There are two skinned predators hanging in the crashed ship when Wolf examines the wreckage.

Ricky was actually suppose to have died in the hospital by the predalien.

The predator's arm was suppose to have melted off after he stuck the blades through the predalien's head leaving the arm stuck in the skull.

23. Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord

Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2004
    Yeah, I saw what the intension was, but it really just didn't play well. If it works, the audience should catch it from the get-go, not have to got back and watch it with a different perspective.. That's just my analysis of course. It was just lacking in a couple of areas. I did enjoy the movie and didn't cringe nearly as much as I did during the first AVP, but still after all that talk from the brothers whatever about how they were gonna do it right, it just fell short.

For a couple of dudes to brag about how they were gonna do it right and then flat out ignore what's already been established.

And to say: "oh, it's probably just some new advanced Xenomorph" is a cop-out. It's fine if they establish that it is, but they didn't.

D_M_S_L

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.