main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Amph American Society Of Magical Negroes

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Merkurian , Dec 18, 2023.

1. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    This is now on Peacock, so have it a watch. The rom com aspect made it a bit Hallmark-y, but there were some good parts, and it didn’t feel preachy in its messaging, which was nice.

2. Django211

Django211 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 6, 1999
    I watched this last night and I'm glad I missed it in the theaters. Although it wouldn't have been too hard as it was pulled after only 3 weeks. The focus was more on the rom-com side and I think it actually would have worked better if they dumped the whole magical negro element. The leads are likable but main actor Justice Smith gave a performance that reminded me too much of Wyatt Cenac and made me wish we just got the genuine thing. The film is lightweight and the satire kept to a minimum. There isn't that much about the actual society other than some shots at a couple of films that use the trope. Atlanta did a better job week after week in only 30 min as opposed to this feature length film, while Key & Peele did it in under 5. I think there is a good concept here but it needs much better writers to deliver a scathing satire.

3. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Donald Glover does almost everything better than anyone.

4. Jedi Bluth

Jedi Bluth Force Ghost star 7

Sep 4, 2021
    It's been done...