main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Anakin Deserved More Respect From The Jedi Council

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by ObiWanKnowsMe, Nov 16, 2017.

1. CaptainCrunch2007

CaptainCrunch2007 Jedi Master star 1

Dec 10, 2007
    The bottom line is that the Jedi Council is a political body that is subservient to another political body in the republic.

As far as Anakin deserving more respect from the Jedi Council? Sure he's a great warrior and a war hero, but he certainly didn't seem to have the wisdom and patience and far sightedness to really become a great jedi, he was a great warrior. Aakin didn't debate, he destroyed, and it was pretty clear that there was a lot of selfishness to his actions. I mean granted they never wanted him trained in the first place, but what had Anakin done to earn their trust as a Jedi? As a warrior he certainly did, but that's not enough.

As far as the council themselves, they really had very little real evidence in terms of a Sith Lord running the republic, they had the word of a traitor and fallen jedi who after the fact turned out to be a Sith, if they would have gone to the Senate with that they would have been laughed out of the room. What other real evidence did they have. So in the end, they pretty much decided that this wasn't just an investigation, but a over throw. They decided to take the democratically elected leader of the Republic, a body that they swore allegiance too and over throw it. In that case they didn't understand how Anakin thought and felt and who he was loyal too, and with that it proved that not only was the council wrong, but any respect or trust that they had in Anakin would have been misplaced.

2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Anakin did have the Council's trust as AOTC and TCW showed us. He forfeited that trust when he acted like a petulant child in ROTS. And Anakin's betrayal wasn't about trust, but about power. He was going to kill Palpatine himself. He admitted it.

PALPATINE: "Are you going to kill me?"

ANAKIN: "I would certainly like to."

So he clearly was going to break the law and help overthrow the legitimate government. He stops because he wants to save his wife. If Palpatine had nothing to offer him, the man would be lying on the floor, cut from stem to stern.

theraphos likes this.
  3. CaptainCrunch2007

CaptainCrunch2007 Jedi Master star 1

Dec 10, 2007
    They trusted him more as a warrior then a jedi.

Hey if we need someone to go and kill somebody and do our dirty work, we'll send Skywalker.

But I believe that the whole trust as far as a jedi goes, they probably trusted Obi-Wan to at least keep him somewhat in line.

Even Mace talked about it before he went to see Palpatine "If what you told me is true, you'll have earned my trust".

christophero30 likes this.
  4. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    In AOTC, the Council trusted Anakin to go off on his own and protect Padme, something Obi-wan didn't have a lot of faith in. They trusted him enough to not only make him a Knight without taking the trials, but to have a Padawan. Where he loses their trust was his egotistical reaction to not being made a Master. Prior to that, there was minor concerns about his personal loyalties and stubbornness when it came to taking orders, but nothing to really shake their faith in him. When Mace says what he says to Anakin, it is after his actions at the start of the film. Before then, he has faith in Anakin.

theraphos likes this.
  5. Rossini18

Rossini18 Jedi Knight

Jan 3, 2016
    Anakin has accomplished a lot in the Jedi Order even with all of his flaws- the Council should have just rejected the appointment of Anakin and instead of undercutting it by excluding him from the role of Master a huge insult IMO.

Mark Pierre likes this.
  6. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    And you don't think that wouldn't set him off, either?

7. xx_Anakin_xx

xx_Anakin_xx Jedi Master star 4

Jan 9, 2008
    Hindsight is 20/20. Anakin was impatient in everything and I think acquiring patience would have garnered him a spot on the council. I don't know if that would have changed the outcome (he may have been destined to be a Sith Lord in order to bring balance to the force), but it may have gotten him what he wanted. He did ultimately learn patience as Vader, so it was possible.

With his lack of patience, I think he was a bit too reckless to be on the council. He was given a lot of responsibility and that included a lot of decision making in the field. So in the end, it was really just for him to wait it out. Or become Vader and be named immediately to the council of TWO. (LOL)

8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Well, if the council did treat him with respect, we wouldn't get all these delightful memes about Mace Windu not allowing Anakin to be Master.

9. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Anakin certainly had a legitimate reason to feel slighted-the council often addressed him in a patronizing manner and didn't recognize his accomplishments(at leas to the extent Anakin would have liked) at the same time though his emotional outburst was a direct example of why he wasn't accorded the esteem he thought he deserved.

10. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    The Council was right about Anakin. However, they did tend to stick it in his face - basically, they were arrogant. The difference between knowledge and...he he he...wisdom.

DarthTalonx likes this.
  11. Libs

Libs Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 17, 2018
    Agreed, respect is something to be deserved by default ( I think ) if you do something good or brave, and wasn't Anakin suposse to be something like the poster boy of the Clone Wars?

Now AotC Anakin was a bit creepy I'll admit, but if you throw TCW Anakin into the mix.. that guy was awesome and amazing

Then when you imagine it was he was defeated Dooku when so many others could, then I would say 'yes' the guy deserved more than a condescending 'no' from Mace Windu

Alas, like somebody else said hindsight is 20/20

12. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    It's one thing to be highly regarded as a Jedi. It's another when said Jedi starts acting entitled and spoiled, that's where the problems begin. The Council had every right to treat him as they did, once he started displaying behavior unbecoming of a Jedi.

MarcJordan and theraphos like this.
  13. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2014
    Yes indeed. Palpatine watched "his career with great interest." You would think that the Jedi, especially the Council would follow this exceptional boy who is the supposed Chosen One with additional enthusiasm and focus.

Either by them relating to him in a more personable manner (as Obi Wan did), or guidance (as I suppose Yoda was trying to do), or by reigning him in. I think it was a mistake for the Jedi to accept Palpatine's appointment. Or they could have given the boy a choice. Accept and relinquish being a Jedi. Or as one of us, refuse to accept this position. There is actually a deleted scene of Palpatine talking to Anakin just before he tells him he is to be made a personal representative. It's a nice conversation where Anakin himself says he will get his place when he is older and wiser. It really shows the masterful manipulation of Palpatine.

The Jedi it seems aren't as good with playing the political game. At the very least, Anakin might have been a perfect ally in their attempted coup if he was brought into their confidence. He was also like Windu, a Jedi who believed in action and willing to bend the rules. An apparent distance between him and other Jedi meant that it was all the easier for Palpatine to manipulate the entire situation. I think the face that Anakin's visions also seemed to be fairly accurate warranted further assistance. He should also have been dispatched along with Obi Wan for that mission.

Tonyg likes this.
  14. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Palpatine watched his career because he wanted to turn him and failing that, kill him. The Jedi did give him great focus.

That wouldn't work, telling him to give being a Jedi in order to sit on the Council as a personal representative. It would be one thing if all Anakin was going to be, was just a representative. But Palpatine took it one step further by placing him on the Council, knowing full well that the Council would react as they did and that it would create tension between them and Anakin. And that by doing so, the Jedi would be forced to take action. It isn't that the Jedi aren't good at playing the political game, since that's not their mandate. It is because Palpatine trained as politician that he could increase his deceptive and manipulative abilities.

Except that because of his position and his bond with Palpatine, he was not the right man for that job, but he was for this one. Again, Palpatine knew how to manipulate the situation.