main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi / Light Side Anakin ROTS Costume and Lightsaber 2.0

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Primrodo, Aug 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Queen-of-Naboo

Queen-of-Naboo Jedi Master star 1

Jul 21, 2006
    Matt, it didn't cost me too much to modefy it, though I'm still in the process of updating it.

But then again, you might not want to ask me because I'm changing it a lot differently than the others here are. I don't think you'd wanna make the same changes that I did.

~Tally

2. Matt-K

Matt-K Jedi Youngling

Jul 21, 2006
    i actually bought black tunic. what about the boots? Well I need to get a mahogany dickies work pants. So I probably need to spray paint my tabard dark brown. But thanks.

3. Wilan_Skeverett

Wilan_Skeverett Jedi Youngling

Sep 16, 2006
    Matt-K, you do realize that the tunic is in fact dark brown and not black. And you probly don't want to use paint on your tabbards, i've messed around with spray paint for some custom stuff a while ago and it doesn't really hold on that long, esp. if your spraying on a dark surface if the paint gets scratched the black will stick out badly.

4. Matt-K

Matt-K Jedi Youngling

Jul 21, 2006
    well the tunic doesn't look that black. it sort of looks like Anakin's.

5. Wilan_Skeverett

Sep 16, 2006
    Well as long as you know that the film accurate color is a dark brown, it only looks black in the movie because of lighting. The same thing goes for the tabards, boots, belt, robe and glove. That was cleared up in the first couple pages of this thread. I don't mean to sound like a nut about this, but a lot of the people on this thread can be a little sensitive about the coloring for the costume. Im just tryin to help out, I fell victim of the 'black' version for my first Anakin costume and I really wish I hadn't made it that way.

6. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Hey guys!

This past weekend we had a Parade in St. Catharines which was a blast! Big turn out! :)

http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a332/Primrodo/Grape%20And%20Wine%202006/

We had 5 Anakins including my younger brother!!

Some snipets of my costume though, and I didn't colour correct the images just to show how different condistions on the same area can make my costume look lighter or darker...Alot of the pictures have varied darkness/highlight issues, but I am happy with them :)

My favourie pic:

[image=http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a332/Primrodo/Anakin%20Costume/GW06026.jpg]

And the others:

[image=http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a332/Primrodo/Anakin%20Costume/GW06023.jpg]

[image=http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a332/Primrodo/Anakin%20Costume/GW06028.jpg]

[image=http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a332/Primrodo/Anakin%20Costume/GW06034.jpg]

[image=http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a332/Primrodo/Anakin%20Costume/GW06036.jpg]

[image=http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a332/Primrodo/Anakin%20Costume/GW06072.jpg]

[image=http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a332/Primrodo/Anakin%20Costume/GW06079.jpg]

[image=http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a332/Primrodo/Anakin%20Costume/GW06095.jpg]

Looking at the pictures, top of my list for concern is the obi and belt sliding down from my sabers weight...so I think I am going to institude some sort of snap system under the obi and belt to make sure it stays put across my stomach.

After that I am going to look into wigs maybe after C4, but I am growing my hair out nicely, the last picture there deceiveing since I have wig hair :p

The glove in the pictures is Todd's glove, before anyone asks...no word from Lucas, will email him again tonight and ask whats up. Otherwise, no idea, I cannot believe the trouble getting this project off the ground...

EDIT: To show how different my colours look on another camera check out this link: http://www.rochesterfandom.com/phpBB2/gallery2.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=31309 be sure to click Full size :)

7. Matt-K

Matt-K Jedi Youngling

Jul 21, 2006
    is it possible to dye the tunic into dark brown? i don't want to buy another tunic, just modifying it. I don't want to do it myself because I afraid of screwing it up. so how much would it cost to retailor the costume? in your speculation.

8. Queen-of-Naboo

Queen-of-Naboo Jedi Master star 1

Jul 21, 2006
    Justin, those look awsome! Looks like you had fun!

My college is haveing a geek night and my troop is doing a trooping event there, but I haven't decided if I want to do the Ani one or the slave Leia..

9. MorgonKEN-BUR

MorgonKEN-BUR Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 23, 2005
    Awesome justin, pics look great. Glad to see u getting some trooping in! I also trooped today for the closing of the BIG E in MA, but it sucked because we were behind a truck throwing out handfuls of candy, so people paid attention to that more. Where exactly was this troop, is it in the USA? I see madkidjedi in those pics, and i thought he was from NJ. I dont know if i could handle so many anakins all at once in a parade. You definitely looked the best though. I do see the darker tones to the boots and tunic in the other picture, but i still say it should be darker :) I want my next tunic to be the darkest brown i can get.

As for your tunic Matt K. If you bought the singapore anakin gear, i dont think you have anything u can do about the black. I believe his tunics made of a polyester/cotton blend, which probably wont hold any new color. And once somethings black i dont think u can do much to change it. IF your tunics black, i would suggest the chocolate brown dickies insteed of the mahogony. The mag works great for the browner tunics, but i think the chocolate brown is perfect for a really dark tunic, or in ur case the black tunic. I know its not the best comparison to go by, but my sideshow anakain figure has the same color pants as the chocolate brown dickies. The chocolate doesnt work so well with a dark enough brown gear, because they tend to look more grey than brown (optical illusion). But if ur tunics dark enough i think they are perfect.

And nulife is safe for color correction on vinyl and leather, but it can be shinny sometimes. I used them on older tabbards, and on my current boots.

As far as my gear, my new leather tabbards should be done this coming week, they ahve to be!!!! And i ahve a luxeon fx now that my friend built for me with a kit from the custom saber shop. This baby is bright and strong and hell, great for dueling crazy fans.

10. Primrodo

Jun 23, 2002
    Thanks guys!!

I had a blast, Grape and Wine is always my favourite event :)

The event is in St. Catharines (Near Niagara Falls) Ontario. We did have quite a number of American friends come up including Mad Kid Jedi :)

Thanks for the compliment though Bryan, I secretly agree with you ;)

Colour is so fickle, and though I tried to dye mine darker, I don't want to risk loosing this material till something closer is found. Its so odd how each camera sees each colour, but I admit I like teh Rchester Fandom pic best for colour differences :)

11. The_Real_Darth_Mule

The_Real_Darth_Mule Jedi Youngling

Aug 17, 2005
    It depends on the fiber content of the fabric. If it has polyester in it, then you're out of luck. Polyester takes special dyes to color it, and those don't work all that well. You see, polyester is basically thin plastic fibers, so the color is molded in so to speak. If your tunic is cotton, then it would take a color remover bath before you try to dye it to knock it down enough to get the brown to show up. It's common sense that you can't dye something a lighter color than it already is.

Just in general tho.. Am I the only one that watched the ROTS and knew without a doubt from day one that the costume was all brown? It looked brown to me anyway. Maybe as a designer I just have a more sensitive eye for color. Who knows...

12. Primrodo

Jun 23, 2002
    Oh trust me you weren't the first....I was arguing it since the first image.... ;)

13. DanakinSkywalker

DanakinSkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 25, 2003
    There was no argument when I began to assemble my costume in late 2003. I don't think anyone questioned it until the extra dark promo shots were released, before that every picture of the costume made it very clear that is was brown.

14. princessleia911

princessleia911 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2005
    I agree with you, The_Real_Darth_Mule, my picky Virgo eyes always saw Anakin's costume as dark brown...it is supposed to be the darkest brown you can get before it gets to black since he is on the edge of turning to the Dark Side. Most people out there are not so immersed in SW lore though, so they think bad guy=black and Vader is black so it is a natural assumption unless you have more info. Great pics, Primrodo, your costume looks awesome.

15. Wilan_Skeverett

Sep 16, 2006
    yeah justin, your costume looks great, i hope it was fun

16. xFALLEN_JEDIx

xFALLEN_JEDIx Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 19, 2005
    hahaha! Are we still on the black/brown conversation.....AAAHHHHH, that is what we were talking about when i first joined.

Justin, pics look great!
    Tally, slave leia will get more attention at your college.

Later

17. Matt-K

Matt-K Jedi Youngling

Jul 21, 2006
    hey, i'm thinking of getting rid of my Singapore costume. before I buy captain carter's, do they make them in dark brown? I only see them in regular brown. Also, would you recommend it anyone?

18. MorgonKEN-BUR

Sep 23, 2005
    yea she can make it in really dark brown, shes making mine almost black brown like the promo pics. The problem with Captain Carter is that she has a decent waiting list right now for making gear. She currently is working on my gear right now, and i cant wait. Sell the singapore if u can, but since its so available online u might have trouble selling it. But yea, her gear is really well made.

19. Matt-K

Matt-K Jedi Youngling

Jul 21, 2006
    maybe i could just sell the outer amd inner tunic. but what about the boots and belt? well pant, maybe if the store sells them, then I'll get the pants. by the way, what color wig should I buy? I only have dark brown hair. my folks wouldn't let grow out my hair.

20. Monari

Monari Jedi Youngling

Sep 15, 2006
    You can either get the Lacy wig that's talked about on the first page of this thread, or you can get the wig found here: http://www.mywigstore.com/shop/shop_goodsview.asp?top=1&g_code=20051026154812157039&viewIndex=fiber&viewIndex2=Synthetic&searchWord=&optionStyle=Wavy&optionLength=Medium

I bought the second one at the link, and it has potential, but you've really got to play with it to make it look semi-decent. I might even take it into a hairstylist, because as of now I look like a crossdresser from the 80's with it on.

Morgon modified his Singapore boots and they look amazing. I found a pair of high leather boots at a thrift store that i'm modding, thanks to MadKidJedi's plans for the spats!

21. Matt-K

Matt-K Jedi Youngling

Jul 21, 2006
    were u the one who modified the boots? If yes, what alteration is required to make it look great?

22. Primrodo

Jun 23, 2002
    Well guys its offically up!

www.sonsofthesuns.com

Feel free to raid the forum, I just got my hands on it now and will be editting the style sheets and look soon, keep an eye out!

23. DanakinSkywalker

DanakinSkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 25, 2003
    Excellent, I just signed up.

24. ANAKINOS

ANAKINOS Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 25, 2002
    As did I

[image=http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h164/john____2006/mrburns.jpg]

25. MorgonKEN-BUR

Sep 23, 2005
    kick assssssss EVERYONE better sign up for the new page. Pretty sooon this thread will be DEAD!!!! So get your bantha butts over their and sign up!!!!

Matt K those boots will work fine if u mod them, with new spats at least. Im actually planning to sand the crap out of the sole, so it doesnt stick out the sides as much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.