main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Another R2 for ya :O)

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by Wiz, Jul 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wiz

Wiz Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 29, 2005
    Thanks again guys!

Hey Rory I might actually finish this R2 one day :p, yeah I used the sound from ANH, its the bit where R2 is wondering through the canyon at the beginning before those pesky Jawas ambush him.

Winzip should be able to unzip/rar this :) (I think)...

Hi Darthviper107 :)

The camera motion I was going for was an attempt at a hand held camera, but yeah see what you mean, I simply added a noise modifier on the camera target but just checked it and noticed I left the fractal noise on, so will turn that off and render again... Just to note I used the scene mentioned above as a reference for the camera placements and motion.

As for the Global illimunation will get that set up as well and hopefully get an update later in the week :)

One thing I have noticed about little R2 though and would love to get the motion in, is when he rotate his head his body rocks slightly (obv due to Kenny having to move inside the unit to rotate the head) - will see if can get that happening (rigging 101 here I come). I think thats wot the CG version loses in ROTS etc., it moves to smoothly :(

Ok well back to messing with things in a vain attempt to finish R2 and the corridor!

Cheers,

Wiz.

2. GuanoLad

GuanoLad Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 8, 1998
    When R2 is in tripod mode, Kenny Baker isn't inside. It's only when he's in biped mode, and shakes back and forth, or tries to wiggle his way forward. So when the head turns, there shouldn't be any wobble, at least not caused by someone struggling around inside.

That anim was pretty cool. Shame it doesn't have the canyon included :)

You should make three or four of them and race them round a track.

3. Wiz

Jul 29, 2005
    How do again :)

Thanks guys for the kind comments!

Will double check the wiggle thing, but sure I seen him do it in tripod mode, in the very scene i referenced for this anim as a matter of fact... will need to check :p

Would love to get the canyon in... but the rate i am modelling these two things at, that could take a lifetime ;)

Racing them would be cool, I can see R4 now getting off to a great start and then bang!

Anyway a new update ready http://www.savefile.com/files/7613580

Used Global illumination and also messing with Mental ray, one question, the render quality appears very bitty???
    Wot in Mental have I not got set high enough??? (or is there another reason?)

Cheers,

Wiz.

4. fireresq7

fireresq7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2002
    Looks great!!! The bitty part may be cuz of the mental ray render? I know I have used sky light and GI lighting with the default rendering just fine! Try it out!

5. GuanoLad

Jul 8, 1998
    I've decided I liked my off-the-cuff suggestion so much, that I'm going to make a race for them. Hopefully it'll be fun, and look good, though my Artoo Unit isn't anywhere near as cool looking as yours.

6. Wiz

Jul 29, 2005
    > Fireresq7
    Yeah messing around with all that now, done a higher res render and it appears to have removed a lot of the bittyness (for want of a better word). Goin to get stuck back into the corridor this week again, and hopefully by the end of the weekend have some near final updates... (cough... and pigs will fly ;))

> Guanolad
    Awesome, you should, you so got to do it!!!

The Pod Race in EPI would be cool to reference and fun to use the audio from that segment hehe... R2's lining up with the big engine noises of the pods, eyeing each other up and so on lol

Your R2 is cool matey, you should post some new renders as not seen any in a while.

:)

Wiz.

7. GuanoLad

Jul 8, 1998
    Well, I'm working on him now, trying to make him more accurate without having to totally remake parts I'd already spent a lot of time on. There are bits, like fiddly things on his dome head, that really should be more accurately modelled, but I'm reluctant to put in the hard work.

[image=http://www.guanolad.com/stuff/artoo_dirty3.jpg]

8. Wiz

Jul 29, 2005
    Hey he is looking good, he is suprisingly tricky to model though considering he is merely a half dome and a cylinder!

Everytime I look a the reference and my model I see areas that need more detailing or are incorrect (especially when I look at Mverta's R2 - he keeps going and going with the detailing).

But hopefully with have another update on both R2 and the Corridor later today!

Wiz.

9. Wiz

Jul 29, 2005
    A quick update on R2!

http://img95.imageshack.us/my.php?image=r2shot26ec.jpg

Been adding more detail, correcting errors etc. One question and if anyone could help would be greatly appreciated, I am using Mental Ray to render, and as you can see from the render I am losing some of the finer detail in areas (the shadows are not detailed enough), so where am I going wrong?

I have a single skylight setup (and no other lighting maybe this is the issue?).

Oh ignore the texturing its very much wip at the moment ;)

Going back through the corridor today (not literally obviously :p), will hopefully have something to post soon.

Thanks,

Wiz.

10. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

George Mezori SCIFI 3D Scifi 3D Forum star 4 VIP

Sep 10, 1999
    This is turning out really good. The lighting is good... how long are renders?

Don't just ask here for FR info. Go to their forums too. May not be enough people here using FR to answer a question like that.

11. Wiz

Jul 29, 2005
    Thanks mate,

Taking about 5 mins to render at the mo, even longer when I begin to add MR Omni's, will pop over to their forums see if peeps can help me out :)

I am away this week, actually over your side of the pond in San Diego with work, but should be back next week and hopefully will get some time to be in a position to post further updates :)

Cheers,

Wiz.

12. Wiz

Jul 29, 2005
    How do,

Ok been a while but heres a update on the corridor, trying to get the materials right, and again messsing with the lighting and think I am slowly (slowly being the operative word here) gettin there?

The door side of the corridor looks a little washed out (too bright I think?), but can fix that later, more renders hopefully later this week showing some more of the detailing in the panels etc. :)

As ever, comments welcomed

http://img206.imageshack.us/my.php?image=corridorshot018jy.jpg
    http://img206.imageshack.us/my.php?image=corridorshot029kt.jpg

Cheers,

Wiz.

Note: Not sure wots up with the links, but if you get a small picture then click on the picture and wait for the next page to load then select back and the picture should load full size.

13. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

Sep 10, 1999
    Yea. It's all washed-out. Too bright. This shows some people that GI isn't just clicking a button. It's just another thing to learn how to use like a fine art.

14. GuanoLad

Jul 8, 1998
    It doesn't look like he's using Global Illumination to me. Looks pretty much like a raytraced render.

It's just too harsh and sharp. I suggest you use softer lights, and/or radiosity using an HDRI for GI.

15. Wiz

Jul 29, 2005
    How do,

Yep, you were correct there was no GI in that render, was just playing again with lighting, which on this project is proving to be a nightmare hehe... Especially with each render to check a simple change taking on average 8 hours to do (at best) so sorry for the lack of updates guys, but with each screw up i am getting closer to giving you sometihng nice :)

In the meantime here is a recent render of R2 again no work on the textures just more work on mental ray and lighting, the textures are still basic but just trying to understand MR more in Max.

http://img228.imageshack.us/my.php?image=r2d21by.jpg

Thanks for keeping interested as I take my time getting there ;)

Your pal,

Wiz

16. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

Sep 10, 1999
    It's really a nice looking render...but 8 hours. Bit too much for me. I think you could get the same look you have now with a lot less using regular lights. I'm no lighting expert either. Some people can analyze images with a magnifying glass and tell you what rendered it. You're still tweaking your settings too I'm sure. But 8 hours just to do a test render.. jeesh. :oops:

17. Brandeni

Brandeni Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 15, 2002
    Thats even high for ILM :)

18. Wiz

Jul 29, 2005
    LOL... oopsy I wasnt too clear explaining things there <slaps self with a wet fish>, R2 only takes about 10 mins to render, if he took 8 hours then I would have to open up my machine just to make sure there wasnt a Dragon 32 in there ;)

It's the corridor that takes an excessive amount of time to render, and tbh my machine could do with an upgrade I guess, I am rendering on a Athlon XP 3000, 1 gig of ram, Radeon 9800 Pro (128), so think its time I opened up my piggy bank and got some new shiny stuff...

Wiz.

19. darthviper107

darthviper107 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2003
    Take a look at this:
    [image=http://www.mikeverta.com/images/R2_WP_2_1280.jpg]

It was made by a proffessional (Mike Verta) using Maya and Rhino, rendered in Mental Ray. Perhaps it can give you some good references.
    http://www.mikeverta.com/

20. Wiz

Jul 29, 2005
    Yeah Mike's stuff is awesome, Zoo pointed me in his direction some weeks ago and I have been foaming at the mouth ever since trying to come some(no)where close to his work ;)

Well today will be an R2 day i think, might try giving him a better set of textures (laughs out loud and prays to the texture Gods - someone get me a chicken), as my texturing skills are far from great.

Well back to plodding on...

Wiz.

21. fireresq7

fireresq7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2002
    Can't wait to see!!!

~Rory

22. Wiz

Jul 29, 2005
    Hehe, thanks Rory :)

Ok did a pass on the Main part of the dome today, all new texture (ooooh I can hear the excitement in you all), tried to dirty him up a bit...

Will have a crack at the body bits tomorrow, so will see how I get on. Still lots to do... (will it never end ;))...

http://img142.imageshack.us/my.php?image=r2domeshot24ez.jpg

Cheers,

Wiz.

23. JediMasterRoron

JediMasterRoron Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 28, 2005
    Thats real good wiz.:)

24. darthviper107

darthviper107 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2003
    Very nice, are you going to do more on the dome?

25. Wiz

Jul 29, 2005
    Thanks fellas :)

Yep done and doing more on the dome, want him to look real banged up, so think I have finally lost that new shiny look ;)

http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/3010/r2domeshot19jr.jpg

Might even throw in a few dents for good measure, or am I going to far with the battered look?

Comments as ever more than welomed :)

Wiz.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.