main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Asajj Ventress [2024 Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Jan 22, 2024.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I think any story depicting misogyny or slavery needs to condemn both. I think Star Wars does well enough with slavery, between the bomb being implanted in Anakin, his concern for his mother after he become a Jedi largely being due to his not knowing that she had been freed, and the depiction in the Zygerria arc of the memories and trauma of being enslaved coming back to him. And of course Leia choked her enslaver with his own chains, in one of the most brilliant scenes in the saga.

Misogyny—in some areas Star Wars does well condemning it, the Leia choking Jabba scene being the best. In any ‘good woman fixes bad man through romance’ that ends well, however, the condemnation is not strong enough.

I’m glad Ventress got out of Dark Disciple and there has been no mention of Quinlan Vos connected to her. Hopefully it stays that way.

Slater likes this.
  2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    to be fair. I did completely forget about the bomb thing, but my problem with Ventress’s enslavment is she is sad when her slaver dies.

I guess you could toss that up to her spending most of her life with the dude at that point, but it’s still weird to have somebody sad over the death of their enslaver

3. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jedi Master Frizzy Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    The Dooku book talks about this.

4. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    The part that really horrified me was when Anakin exclaimed, "Slavery, yippee!"

Bor Mullet likes this.
  5. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I hope her appearance in the BB (which was probably one the best episodes of the show to date IMO) is paving the way for Asajj in live action. She's a really interesting character and one that would/could be a real asset somewhere down the line.

6. The Chalk Jedi

Nov 8, 2019
    Hell yes, she is a character that needs to be seen. Live action would be amazing, but I'll take animation too.

7. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jan 15, 2018
    She was originally supposed to be the main villain of ATOC before they came up with Dooku. Her time in Clone Wars been great and her episode here shows how she has grown. They promise her a big future on the timeline, that may involve live action in Ahsoka season 2 and Filoni's movie. He was the one who brought her back so he had plans for her.

Bibliora and The Chalk Jedi like this.
  8. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Was she meant to be Palpatine's next apprentice after Maul? That would be news to me.

9. Happy Sando

Happy Sando Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2023
    I thought her "Sith Witch" concept art origins were created for The Phantom Menace, as one of the early ideas for Maul. I could be wrong, though.

10. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jan 15, 2018
    Yes. She was the next Sith lord, supposed to be our first Female sith.

cwustudent and Ahsoka's Tano like this.
  11. The Chalk Jedi

Nov 8, 2019
    Yes, thanks for contextualizing my comments because this is what I was thinking. I'm specifically saying that traditional gender roles shouldn't be portrayed as unproblematic, as the status quo, or romanticized in any way.

I think I mentioned that as long as they are subverted or estranged, then you can include traditional roles or beliefs as the object of critique.

Yeah, when we speak of "condemn," it's not like we're saying that the director or a character needs to make an overt speech. It's always best to show through the dramatic action that something is wrong or problematic.

I personally think the slavery issue should have been portrayed more strongly than it was in TPM. You're right that they did touch on it, but it was undermined by a relatively friendly representation of what I'll call here a "yippee" form of slavery.

"Yippee, they might blow you up!"

Last edited: Apr 2, 2024
  12. Watcherwithin

Watcherwithin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2017
    What if you’re writing a story set in the past where these gender roles or the system of slavery are the status quo and go largely unchallenged?

I think Star Wars is more comparable to a period piece like that then a story set in modern times

Force Nexus and Bibliora like this.
  13. The Chalk Jedi

Nov 8, 2019
    That's problematic if you're portraying them in a positive light.

"Oh look keeping women in the kitchen was totally cool."

That ends up promoting roles that should not be promoted. In other words, without critique, it can function as unintentional propaganda.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  14. Watcherwithin

Nov 9, 2017
    No it doesn’t. If the story doesn’t “show that it’s wrong through dramatic action” but also doesn’t portray it as a positive then it’s neutral, not promoting anything. Just showing characters who live in a way that goes against your morality without them being criticized or learning a lesson isn’t endorsing their behaviour.

Force Nexus likes this.
  15. Bibliora

Bibliora Jedi Knight star 3

May 24, 2023
    This isn't Star Trek where political issues are hidden in "alien" storylines. All things SW is a joyous escape from considering the injustices in the world. Leia broke the gender defining role, by being tougher than the boys.

Forgive me if I lost what this discussion was about, but if it entertains me, it's pretty OK as is.

16. Watcherwithin

Nov 9, 2017
    There’s plenty of political allegory in Star Wars, I just fail to see what the harm is in portraying a non ideal world without the story passing judgement. That’s what you are for

Force Nexus likes this.
  17. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I don't remember much political allegory in SW.

Watcherwithin likes this.
  18. Force Nexus

Force Nexus Jedi Master star 3

Jun 22, 2022
    Historically, not all slaves were whipped and worked to death. And it's not like Anakin was happy with being a slave. He clearly did not want to be one. And he disliked when Padme called him a slave. And he dreamed of freeing all the slaves. The Phantom Menace did not portray slavery as good. In fact, we learned, that the Republic outlawed slavery, but in places like Tatooine, places controlled by the gangsters, it is just the way of things. Tatooine is a harsh place. The movie did more than enough to say that slavery is not a good thing. It is just an aspect of the galaxy that exists. "The story is bad because Anakin was not whipped to death and said yippee once" is not a valid critique or analysis. Just like "Ventress died for a man, therefore story is bad".

Watcherwithin likes this.
  19. Watcherwithin

Nov 9, 2017
    I think TPM clearly does give a moral judgement on slavery yeah

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Based on that argument, it would be perfectly fine to make a Lost Cause-promoting movie in the year 2024.

They should be criticized for it. There is no ‘neutrality’ when presenting oppression—just ‘letting it be’ is a form of endorsement of the behavior. ‘Neutrality’ implies that the oppressing side has a position that is morally equal to the non-oppressing side and is worth listening to and respecting.

People in the 1910s who thought women should not have the right to vote, thought they were morally correct. They were not.

People who supported slavery, Lost Cause ideology, and Jim Crow thought they were morally correct. They were not.

Why should such positions in films go unchallenged, even when set in the past? I don’t believe in giving wiggle room to those who think those positions are the ‘correct’ ones now, to believe that Star Wars or any film in the 21st century is endorsing their bigoted views.

Django Unchained is a period piece. Would it be OK to make that movie with a ‘neutral’ position towards Calvin Candy?

I also do not believe that Star Wars is a “period piece” set in a time when misogyny was the norm—in fact I think Lucas, despite some of the outfits he put Padme and some of the TCW characters in, depicted women in a mostly progressive manner, beginning with Leia not submitting to Tarkin and Vader, and Leia being in a leadership role, in the OT, as well as Mon Mothma. A ‘neutral’ position would be depicting Jabba having sex slaves as ‘just part of his culture’ and perfectly acceptable.

The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  21. Watcherwithin

Nov 9, 2017
    it would be perfectly fine to make a movie about a racist slaveholder from a “neutral” position (by which I just mean the story doesn’t include any comeuppance or a moral condemning slavery, not that the slavers are absolved in any way) in 2024 or any year. As long as the movie accurately portrays slavery and doesn’t try to whitewash it I’m fine with having reactionaries as heroes of their own stories

To give a concrete example of what I mean. Take The Catcher in the Rye, there’s a chapter in there which portrays homosexuality/transsexuality in a manner reflective of the oppression of the time, through the eyes of our POV character who is somewhat disdainful. The narrative makes no effort to disillusion us of Holden’s problematic pov. Does this make The Catcher in the Rye a homophobic work? I think not

22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I don’t know how you could have a movie about a racist slaveholder from a ‘neutral’ position without absolving the slaveholder or whitewashing slavery.

Slater and The Chalk Jedi like this.
  23. Watcherwithin

Nov 9, 2017
    By portraying things as they were, if the story didn’t have any other message about slavery, that would be neutral. Of course as anti-slavery advocates we have no obligation to be neutral towards the slaveholder character

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    OK, that makes sense. Pretty different from the direction this discussion has taken though, with the statements that I and others are supposed to be OK with Ventress losing her spine over Vos, and that her current portrayal in Bad Batch is somehow a negative because there is not enough sniveling and groveling over Vos, and that overall we are supposed to be OK with antiquated gender roles in Star Wars. That’s not “neutral.”

25. Watcherwithin

Nov 9, 2017
    I don’t think Ventress portrayal in The Bad Batch is bad at all. The debate about Dark Disciple is that Force Nexus and I disagree with you about whether Ventress lost her spine or was “fridged for Vos’ development”. I don’t presume to tell you that you’re wrong for having a different opinion on the story.