main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo Background Characters

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Django Fett, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Cantina Regular

Cantina Regular Jedi Knight star 3

May 24, 2016
    Hmm this little guy was definitely in the movie but is suspiciously absent from both the Visial Guide and the Art Book.

2. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    He is from the movie Kung Fu Panda and his name is Shifu

godisawesome , 11-4D, Snafu55 and 3 others like this.
  3. Bor Gullet

Bor Gullet Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 8, 2018
    I must say I really loved the singers in Vos's place. That little green crooner in the jar, his voice was so smoooth !

4. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I was kinda freaked out by the design of that character. something weirdly horrific about it.

5. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I don't know if she counts but i did like the Worm lady on corellia. you don't often get the star wars movies going that fantasy-ish with its aliens.

[​IMG]

Bor Mullet likes this.
  6. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    They’re the decraniated. Introduced in Rogue One. Organic beings that are essentially transformed into droids. And I agree. Horrific.

Once again, I can feel your thoughts Bor Gullet. I anticipated your post by a whole day, actually:

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  7. Bor Gullet

Feb 8, 2018
    Once again, I can feel your thoughts Bor Gullet. I anticipated your post by a whole day, actually:[/QUOTE]

Great cephalopods think alike. I sensed that the truth was being spoken once again on these boards, thus my return from cosmic quagmire to confirm it.

AV-6R7, RiddleMeThis and Bor Mullet like this.
  8. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    No thread is safe from Bor Gullet and Bor Mullet.

9. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Does anyone know if Lady Proxima was a puppet or CG?

I thought CG at first, but my cousin was convinced she was a big puppet, so now I'm unsure.

Or maybe a blend of both?

10. Cantina Regular

May 24, 2016
    I'm thinking both. Depending on how close the camera is, the Art book has several clay model looking depictions of Proxima

11. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    Is that track titled Chicken in the Pot because the little green alien in the jar looks kinda like a plucked chicken in a glass pot? Albeit green, with eyes and a mouthpiece. Also, why is the green dude's singing excluded from the soundtrack?

12. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Haha it was awesome to see a non-humanoid sentient alien like that. Proxima was also good example of non-humanoid sentient alien design that worked for me. There is absolutely no reason why sentient alien would always need to have human-like body shape. Also there is no reason why aliens would need to live in same conditions as humans, that's why it was nice to see alien that cannot stand sunlight (Proxima) and alien that cannot probably survive dry or breath oxygen (Singer in a jar). Sure Kel Dor, Tognath and Gand are examples of aliens that don't breath oxygen, but I think partial reason for their design is that mask is much easier to make than realistic looking face.

Bor Gullet likes this.
  13. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    I think that most of their aliens are made nowadays with combining both techniques. Well-made puppet can still get some improvement with minor CGI-effects. I think this technique looks much better than obvious puppets/masks (like most aliens in OT) or obvious CGI characters(like most aliens in PT). I never let the effects ruin the old movies for me either, but it is good to see that new movies combine both techniques to produce very good-looking aliens all around. CGI nowadays looks good enough alone, but practical effects are cool and it's nice that they still use both.

TOASTEROVEN and whostheBossk like this.
  14. Bor Gullet

Feb 8, 2018
    Yeah, I think one of the things I always preferred about Star Wars over say, Star Trek, where the aliens, especially in the 90's shows were very dull with just humanoid beings with only slight variations of a plastic shape stuck on their foreheads or noses. You could never remember who was what.
    I was amazed that in ROTJ - the first movie I ever saw in the cinema as it happens - people spoke to creatures like Jabba and Chewbacca or played cards with Hammerheads, Goatfaces and bat looking guys as if it were no thang. That's the kind of universe, and world for that matter, that I wanted to live in.
    That's why I really dig things like Proxima, the Pikes and stuff that feels truly alien.

For some reason, I feel that given the way, for example, Finn, is so poorly written IMO at the moment, John (really a good actor, in fact) would have likely been forced by the script to say 'uuh gross' or some other remark or grimace at Proxima's appearance.

Siphonophore and Cantina Regular like this.
  15. Cantina Regular

May 24, 2016
    This. This is exactly what I love about Star Wars. Everyone everywhere is so used to space travel, extraterrestrials, and droids that seeing something extraordinary doesn’t even register as “cool” or “strange”. Could you imagine walking into a local bar and having half the patrons be alien life forms? And having that not be a big deal?

That’s why I love looking in the nooks and crannies of every Star Wars scene. There’s so much cool stuff and fascinating beings to see.

whostheBossk and Siphonophore like this.
  16. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    As a matter of fact I don't think that scenario with Finn would be poorly written then- for someone who has spent almost his all life surrounded by humans or near-humans would probably be quite shocked to meet someone like Proxima face to face. Finn is like that while Han isn't. And I don't think Finn is poorly written- he is very lost with his entire life. That debate doesn't belong to this thread though.

What comes to Pykes I was disappointed how they lost part of their alien feel from TCW- for example Tolsite had human-like hands and 10 fingers while he should've had just three digits per hand. Sure there may be subspecies, different races, prosthetics, hybridization etc. to explain that some pykes have 10, some 6 fingers, but I liked TCW-version better because it was more clearly non-human and alien. Tolsite's language was made well though. It was alien enough to make it clear it was supposedly not just human in the suit. Many Pykes in TCW also used concealing suits and helmets (to make it easier to use same animation model possibly) so that was justified to use such for the character. I just think they could've still used tricks to make body shape weirder and more accurate to this
    [​IMG]

I liked the Rogue One and design of Jedha, but one thing that was bit bothering was that many supposedly aliens there were all wearing masks that made them to look same as masked humans. I liked the retcon that there were anomids there- and I hope they still look somewhat like:
    [​IMG]
    I just thought it was a bit lazy way to make "alien" and I think there is this same issue with Kessel guards and pykes in Solo. It is not a huge issue for sure and considering their line of work it makes sense they use concealing uniforms, but it makes it very hard to see if character is supposedly human or alien. While retcons can be a nice way to build new connections between stories afterwards I didn't much like the attitude I think there was in the new episodes regarding aliens. It seems that many alien costumes and puppets in TFA and TLJ and even in Rogue One were made with "anything goes" attitude- they made things that looked weird and thought it is enough to make them suitable Star Wars aliens. To be fair this probably was exactly the attitude when they made the original trilogy. Devaronian was created because they ran out of aliens, but got a devil costume. In prequels most aliens were CGI- so everything in then had to be thought out. This is good thing in CGI- the bad thing is that result looks less real and computer effects get old really fast. Nowadays combination of practical effects, makeup, puppets and CGI looks really good IMO.

I think Disney people should now have a different attitude than puppeteers and animators who made OT and PT. Since there are many established Star Wars aliens now, some never even seen, some just briefly seen in the background and while they are also free to create new designs, they shouldn't accept every creature just because it's "weird enough". I think some very poor and lazy designs made their way into new movies. This is not new to Star Wars though- many cantina aliens and Jabba's palace folk is also poorly designed and lazy, but considering how much Disney has money to put in these movies and how much they have knowledge of already created aliens, they should focus more on how to make established creatures look good in the film than creating new all the time.

Last edited: May 30, 2018
    whostheBossk likes this.
  17. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Wookiepedia is going to need more people. Solo has at least 100 new alien species, places, vehicles, objects and so on.

Last edited: May 30, 2018
    AV-6R7 and Cantina Regular like this.
  18. Bor Gullet

Feb 8, 2018
    I take your point. I still prefer it when characters in Star Wars are not surprised or freaked out to meet unusual looking races, just makes it more real for me, keeps me in the universe.

19. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    So is every Star Wars movie. Solo actually used plenty of existing canon and legends material- Corellia, Mimban, Kessel, Savareen, Savareen brandy, Twi'lek, Rodian, Pyke, Wookiee, Gigoran, Kashyyyk, Felucia, Aurra Sing, Bossk etc. Star Wars movies should always have new material, new planets, new characters and new species. What I think is funny that everybody can update wookieepedia but wookieepedia is also used by the film makers themselves to look for things to new movies, so it is in a way both below the fans and above the filmmakers. Weird.

AV-6R7 and Ricardo Funes like this.
  20. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    So, the name of the green singer on Dryden's yacht is Luleo Primoc. According to The Official Guide, this Gallusian "was a chart-topping singer during the Clone Wars, and also starred in a series of old holomovies while wearing a dashing humanoid exo-suit."
    I'd love it if Disney put out a compilation of Luleo's hit singles, and perhaps some snippets of his acting career.

Last edited: May 31, 2018
  21. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    whostheBossk likes this.
  22. AV-6R7

AV-6R7 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2014
    So according to the Ultimate Sticker Collection, Korso, the mudtrooper with the fleet trooper helmet and minigun, is actually a member of Beckett's gang. I wonder if this was an artifact of the L&M cut?

23. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Is that the black mud trooper...? I found him fascinating as the (I assume racist) Empire only had white folk!

24. AV-6R7

AV-6R7 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2014
    No, but I think he's named in The Official Guide. Korso was played by John Tui, who's Polynesian.

Avnar likes this.
  25. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Were the two Imperials...um...er...Bink and Tag in the film??

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018