main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Batman: Arkham Knight - next-gen Batman by Rocksteady

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Reynar_Tedros, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh wow, heard so much good about that one, doesn't change the picture.

2. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Right when I was starting to finally enjoy this game, I'm forced to find ways to get the Batmobile through the ACE Chemicals factory and then fight a helicopter with an unlimited supply of missiles. What. The. Hell.

Larsonator and Jedi Ben like this.
  3. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    The Batmobile was a real chore in this game. Especially the tank mode gameplay. Didn't feel like Batman at all, and it was repetitive.

4. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    You know, I like the game when I'm playing it as Batman. It's not my ideal type of Batman game (I'm sick of Arkham's empty sandbox after all). But the game could have been better served if gamers had a choice whether to use the batmobile or figure out other options.

Batman reclaimed all of Arkham island in the first game without needing to use the batmobile to pull down walls or scale roofs. Why does Batman suddenly need to figure out how to get the Batmobile into every nook and cranny around Gotham now?

If this were optional, it would be fine.

And yeah, the battle mode sucks. And the game is so annoyingly in love with itself:
    "Love the new suit, by the way."
    "His car is too heavily armored!"
    "His car just took out another drone!"
    "That thing must be firing titanium dipped rounds!"
    "He has a tank now!"
    "Oh no here comes the Batmobile, doesn't it look so sexy and well armored and equipped that you'll orgasm from the ocular sensation alone?!"

Okay, I added in that last bit. But that's how the game sounds.

Jedi Ben, themoth and Darth_Invidious like this.
  5. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Yeah, it's almost insane to think how adding the Batmobile to a Batman game could be deemed as a poor design choice...yet that's exactly how it turned out to be. Even after spoiling myself rotten on the game's asinine plot, I would've pushed on through regardless. But the often compulsory Battank gameplay is so horribly annoying that it simply became a dealbreaker. The game won't get a second chance from me and I can easily live with having experienced the awesomeness of Asylum and City.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  6. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    As I said, Begins included the Batmobile and it was fun. Batman Returns for the Super Nintendo also had Batmobile segments that were also fun.

themoth and Jedi Ben like this.
  7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Things that killed the Batmobile for me in Arkham Knight:
    • Crap handling - you have never flipped a tank so easily
    • Erratic physics - yes, you can smash through concrete with ease! That tree there? Forget it.
    • The "radar" - stick in a goddamn map you lazy buggers, preferably one that recognises three dimensions
    The big success of AK is the full on 3D Gotham City, it looks amazing but it's pulled down by the Batmobile, the plot and the combat being overly complicated now. AC' combat was fine, just about, AK took it too far.

8. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    I didn't realize that there was a difference? Before Knight, Origins was the last Arkham game I'd played, and I recall the combat there being atrocious (or maybe glitchy?). Knight's combat has been pretty fun for me. Even taking out rooms of armed thugs hasn't been too much of a challenge. I couldn't say the same while playing Origins though.

9. themoth

Dec 5, 2015
    If they do the Batmobile again, it needs to be an option, not a necessity. Have gadgets, but don't make it a war machine. They made something that should've been fun a chore. And anyway, when you can glide around the map so easily it makes the car somewhat redundant.

10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    One time I found these riddler robots that you have to do this particular quick fire move, which I've never got on well with, so that didn't work for me at all.

AK for me was too fond of going: And here's 2 shield guys, 2 brutes, 2 electro-baton, 2 knive guys and they'll all coordinate their attack on you. Now that'd be fine if Bats wasn't such a wousse, take a cattle prod and ram it in the mouth of a bad guy or destroy it? Nah, not until you've done a certain number of punches and then only if the guy is in a certain position - I found it hugely irritating that I'd take out knife guy, new guy goes and picks up the knife, no ability to just get rid of weaponry or pick up and use it.

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  11. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    That's the problem I had with Origins too. Just endless, glitchy combat.

12. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    The batmobile in Arkham Knight is like Venom in Spider-man 3 it's what the fans wanted..........[face_plain]

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    For me it wasn't glitchy, it had become over-complicated crap.

14. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999

Yeah, definitely a case of be careful what to wish for. I mean, it would've been fun to have the Batmobile available as just an optional way to go from A-B. It is absolutely not fun that it handles like crap and you make it compulsory to solve puzzles or engage in endless combat sessions against an impossible amount of drones no supervillain could possibly afford.

Ezio Skywalker and SilentGuy66 like this.
  15. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Personally I loved the Batmobile.

DarthAnakin96 and SilentGuy66 like this.
  16. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    I loved the batmobile too. I think people are bit overly harsh on the tank combat. After all the core Arkham formula and combat (normal) is so damn near perfect I don't get why people get so tetchy over a bit of out of place repetition. You dodge and shoot with responsive controls and pretty graphics it's not exactly flying through rings in Superman 64 now is it? Now let's all forget about Arkham Tank and discuss this rumoured Damien Wayne sequel[face_peace]

Grievousdude and Darkslayer like this.
  17. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003

Yeah but you love the prequels and are therefore no guarantee of taste.

The Battank sucked

Darth_Invidious and Jedi Ben like this.
  18. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    What did I do to deserve that? It's just an opinion.

19. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    You love the prequels, that is enough

:p

and the Battank sucked

20. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Agree to disagree :p

And I also love the originals :D

21. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    Does anyone believe these Damian Wayne batman rumours?

22. themoth

Dec 5, 2015
    I hope that's true. I'm not the biggest Damian Wayne fan, but I love the Batman Beyond concept.

23. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    If you did, ESB would be at the very top of your list...instead of ROTS. Thus, as you can imagine, your opinions on the Battank will be dismissed.

FatBurt likes this.
  24. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    I love all of TPM, AOTC, ROTS, RO, ANH, ESB, and ROTJ practically equally. I have a particular connection with ROTS due to it being the first SW film I saw in theaters, that's one of the reasons it's on top.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  25. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Funny enough, ESB was the first (and best) I saw in theaters, even if at the time i had no ******* clue what was going on.