main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Battlefront II: Campaign Content (spoiler tags required for DLC story)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Taalcon, Apr 12, 2017.

1. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2014
    Thank you! Yes I feel that this would have tied in with what Lucas intended. Not to mention to solve where the Empire went. I like the idea of "HEIRS TO THE EMPIRE" in the form of Luke and Leia.

Empire (principled and legitimate) versus First Order (extreme and not legitimate) and Alliance/New Republic (disunited, various corrupt elements and no single aim) would be interesting. Yes I too don't understand Cinder. It doesn't feel like Palpatine. And besides who dispatched the Messenger droids if Palpatine dies on the Death Star? I also wish someone had asked about "Lord Vader" and maybe Inferno's first mission should be to find out just what happened.

Yes I think Rax set it all up. Having Plageuis/Snoke/Windu or whoever connected to all this would also help. I don't really see the Emperor as that destructive. His aim was to eliminate the Jedi and rule himself and pass on to his heirs. I don't see the Palpatine of the PT or OT as someone who wanted pure chaos. I mean his plan was conducted legitimately take over and bring about order whilst also eliminating the Jedi.

I don't see the New Republic or Old Republic as good. I only see the Jedi as having been good (but they got complacent in their Temple). It's time for the Republic...to die.

Mothma
    clearly sidelined Leia and had an agenda to bring back the corruption and incompetence of the Old Republic. I don't think she trusted the Jedi, nor wanted to learn the good of the Empire, and mistakes of the Republic. She just wanted to blame the Empire for everything. The rise of the First Order is almost akin to the rise of the CIS, except the latter still had some decency and was founded on fighting corruption and taxes.

Yes I agree. Palpatine was clever and the legitimate ruler and a peaceful person. I don't think he would have started this crazy plan. Maybe Snoke (cough Plagues or Windu) could have done it behind the scenes. Who dispatched these Messenger droids in the first place?

Shame they don't mention more of the background on screen in the ST. Maybe Rax yes. Or even Mothma. I have this bad feeling that Mothma all along was manipulating events by hologram throughout the OT and after Endor to bring about the collapse of the Empire and the birth of a New (Corrupt) Republic.

Having Iden Versio be part of the Empire Core group (peacekeeping and seeking out the heirs to Lord Vader and maintaining order) versus a splinter group (that would eventually run away to become the First Order) and also versus a fractured Alliance (which sidelines Leia and the heroes of Endor, led by the corrupt Mothma and her corrupt Senator friends).

I thought the trailer scene of Iden and Luke surely meant she would be his spouse and that would have been golden in my opinion. Not to mention epic scene of foes become friends/lovers/allies.

The Empire didn't need to be treated with such contempt by the ST. The First Order is NOT the Empire. And the Republic isn't good. Only the Jedi were. The Republic was and still is it seems useless.

AusStig likes this.
  2. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    yeah I think the NR should have had more support from criminal elements and others who would benefit from a less militarised government.

It would also have lead to some good missions working for the Empire against them while the Rebels supply them with; money, intel, weapons.

While I like the idea of the Empire as 'bad' opposed to the FO's 'evil' Disney seems to want the Empire totally black, for some reason.

As for making Mon Mothma corrupt. I like it but I think it would clash too much with her other appearances. Maybe someone who is willing to work with anyone against the Empire no matter what they are?

It is also very interesting that Leia does seem to be sidelined in the new verse. I wonder why? (I know this is a bit more state of the galaxy)

I also don't think Palps planned to have any heirs, by which I mean he planed to rule forever (though this may be legends influence)

DarthTalonx likes this.
  3. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    What in the name of the Force have I been reading for the past page?

Anyway, had a chance to play the DLC campaign. I loved it, but I kinda wish that

It didn't climax with Hask's death. I thought there could have been potential for even more story DLC where he stays set up against Iden. Maybe release 3 other DLC campaigns to carry this story out. I wonder if they are going to do more stuff with the Campaign or if they are done now.

AusStig likes this.
  4. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2014

Yes I think Rogue One got the feel of the Empire better. That they brought order, and were primarily good or becoming complacent. With a few crazies sadly. Iden Versio seemed to fit with the good peacekeeping legitimate Empire.

I'm not sure about Legends, as for Lucas' canon though, and on screen movie wise, I think it was heavily suggested if not explicit that Vader was Palpatine's right hand man and treated with the respect of enforcer and heir. I think if Vader survived, there wouldn't be anyone questioning him leading the Empire as the Emperor. I mean in ESB, it is clear Vader wishes to "rule as father and son". I don't think Anakin was really a true Sith in terms of wanting to rule in perpetuity, but genuinely was a family man. And would have ruled the galaxy as a dynasty.

As for Palpatine, I mean I think he had achieved what he wanted to achieve. The destruction of the Jedi Order. And he defeated a corrupt Republic from within. Of course he became manic with power. I don't know about living forever. We didn't really see that on the movie screen. I think Palpatine was shown to simply want the best apprentice he could have and was willing to sacrifice Vader or Luke during the fight in ROTJ. I think he would simply not want to be removed from the throne until his death. From his point of view the Jedi and the insignificant Rebellion were evil.

From my view, the Jedi were good, but the Republic was inept and corrupt. The Empire was shown to be a meritocracy. However needed some Jedi influence to put it right.

As for Mothma, I think she is shown to be leaning toward the corrupt and ineffectual style of governance of the Old Republic (vested interest) in Rogue One. Certainly in the OT, she is a behind the scenes (armchair general) leader within the Alliance.

I don't know if it's canon and again, movie canon is the most pertinent, but I heard on here that in some comic which is meant to fill in gaps, that indeed Mothma and a group within the Alliance sidelined Princess Leia, and possibly Acbkar etc also. Partly to reduce the influence of the military, and also I think using the excuse of the Skywalker heritage, when it is revealed that Leia and Luke are Vader's children, publicly on the Holonet.

Yes I like the idea of Mothma willing to align with anyone, criminals and such like simply to remove the Empire. In fact again, I read somewhere that at the Battle of Jakku, criminals who had seized Imperial Star Destroyers, wanted the favour of the Republic and used them to attack the Imperial Fleet.

I would like to see Lucas' version of what happened. But what I'm saying is it makes far more geopolitical sense, story sense (from watching the 6 movies), for there to be a sense of order about the Empire. Yes there might be some warlords, and some splinter group that would become the First Order. But I see it more likely that the Empire would seek someone who felt more legitimate (like Vader's offspring once it was made public) to lead them.

Not to mention, the Empire was the largest entity in the galaxy. It was a GALACTIC EMPIRE. We are shown some celebrations with the end of Palpatine's rule. But that doesn't mean everyone supports the disbandment of the Empire, and the return of the Old Republic. Nor does it mean that the Rebels are supported by everyone. Nor does it mean the Rebels have a plan of what to do afterward, or are united themselves.

I think seeing the handover/Empire collapsing, versus just seeing that extreme group automatically established, would be helpful in both the game and the ST. Also yes, the Empire was more benevolent. The Alliance, overall good intentions, but not wholly good. But the ST gives us the First Order, which no one could like because it's just pure evil. The Republic is not shown at all, so very little feeling either way about it. Though no doubt it's as ineffectual as the Old one. As for the "Resistance", I don't really feel any connection to it versus the Rebel Alliance or the Empire.

AusStig likes this.
  5. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Started watching on of those spliced together "full movie" versions of the game. Not a gamer, but if there is canon story in there, I want the story.

It's pretty good so far. The performances are impressive even. And the Imperial POV is really interesting.

Is there something similar for BF1: Twilight Company?

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  6. Dante1120

Dante1120 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 5, 2006
    Since Twilight Company had little to do with the initial game, which had no campaign, I doubt it.

Stymi likes this.
  7. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Me, to this thread:
    [​IMG]

8. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Speaking of Battlefront I, I noticed on Wookieepedia that there are a few characters listed as being mentioned in the game... how did that actually work if there's no narrative in which they could be brought up?

Stymi likes this.
  9. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    That's what I thought, but I wanted to be sure.

So it was just random running around the SWU and doing stuff? Any canon tidbits?

Edit: What do you make of this? Seems like scenes inserted into established scenes (kinda like I, Jedi) that may be considered canon?

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  10. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    That's a good question, actually. I've played a good amount of Battlefront, and I recall no mention whatsoever of Boushh, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jango Fett, or Sana Starros. I'd be especially interested to find out where the Wook is getting that last one from, in particular.

11. Joystick Chevron

Joystick Chevron Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2017
    The mention of Sana comes from the Hutt Contracts. One of the blasters is hers from the comics, the contract labelled "Sana's Legacy."

12. Dante1120

Dante1120 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 5, 2006
    That just looks like random gameplay bits with the character introductions thrown in. At least as far as I can tell.

13. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    looking back, this sequence is a pretty awesome, appropriate and definitive ending to the Galactic Civil War. The only thing missing is a better rendition of the space battle above the planet.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
    AusStig, Daneira and Sinrebirth like this.
  14. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Indeed, I even love all the little nods to Aftermath as well

Sinrebirth likes this.
  15. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I wonder how much of the story was written by Alexander Freed. From the Alphabet Squadron books I think it's a reasonable assumption he came up with the idea of the Cinder Sentinels.

16. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

The Cinder Sentinels came from Shattered Empire written by Greg Rucka all the way back in 2015

Operation Cinder itself came from that comic is well.

Shattered Empire is sorta the catalyst for a lot of the immediate post Endor era.

17. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Oh, you're right - I totally forgot they were also in Shattered Empire.

18. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Oh yeah it's kinda amazing how much Shattered Empire started all of this!

Kinda wish i could find the old thread for it but it's probably long buried

19. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Shattered Empire should've been more than four issues.

If anything, I'm hoping we learn more about Kokely (Green Six, KIA) and Pick one day :) And Gemma, Reet and Snar.

AusStig likes this.