main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT BBC Article arguing that TESB is overrated.

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Bor Gullet, May 3, 2020.

1. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    I suppose it doesn't really bother me that ESB relies heavily on the fact that it is a sequel to ANH, because that's what it is: a sequel to ANH. I think there could be legitimate arguments made that ESB is overrated (it's not my favorite Star Wars film--that's ROTS, actually), but I don't think this article really made any.

QUIGONMIKE and Dagobahsystem like this.
  2. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    I think that's what I love about it though, that it plays out like a much smaller, intimate chapter. After the Hoth battle, it becomes very much a melodrama focused entirely on the characters and their immediate predicaments.

3. StartCenterEnd

StartCenterEnd Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 2, 2006
    It doesn't matter if it's a sequel...it can still be the greatest movie of all time.

someoneinpassing likes this.
  4. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I agree, But I think to the author a sequel is not an original story line. Rather its a continuation of ANH. I don't buy that, but perhaps the author does.

5. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    Good way to put it. Of course I like TESB a lot like pretty much everyone else but it isn’t at the very top of my favorite SW film lists like most people. I hate to use the term overrated with such a great film but in the pantheon of star wars films for me it is just ever so slightly overrated. One thing we have to take into account with any SW film is that most of us have watched them hundreds of times if not more. So, with certain SW films like TESB that contain a huge reveal, it’s only the first few times you see it that actually have the biggest impact. Whereas others that are just great journeys or thrill rides they have more rewatch value. I hope that makes sense.

Don’t get me wrong I watch and enjoy TESB whenever we watch the saga. There are great moments and it’s always going to be one of the best sequels ever. However, IMO, it’s not quite as exciting for me as other films in the saga at this stage. ANH, ROTS, ROTJ and maybe others have more pure entertainment value. TESB doesn’t have the rewatch value that many others do.