main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before the Saga Celtic challenge: "I never will marry", story 9/9 from Sheev´s POV: answers

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by AzureAngel2, Apr 7, 2017.

1. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    "Evil" characters have always fascinated me, Pandora and as a huge Vader fan-girl I ended up believing in the good core of a being. (Perhaps I am from Naboo, too. ;)) In the summery of my main Nagina story I give my inspiration changing Palpatine a little.

As usually I do not fully agree what the Scottish actor Ian McDiarmid said about his character (Sheev) Palpatine (aka the Emperor) in an interview once:

"He has a black, irredeemable heart. There's nothing that can be said about him that's good. When we first saw Vader in the original trilogy, we thought he was the heart of darkness, and nobody could be darker. But now we understand what happened to him. And one of the exciting things about seeing this movie is that you can follow Vader through Anakin's journey every step of the way even if you don't agree with the choices he's making. In part his decisions stem from his traumatic childhood, and his impatient lust for power. And it's that which my character takes and then uses against him."

What has gotten into me that I say he really loves somebody with his dark, black heart?

Well, blame it on me watching President Snow in “The Hunger Games: Catching Fire” movie recently. See, I like the relationship that he has with his grand-daughter.

Everybody has to love somebody. Like vampire Russell Edgington in the HBO series “True Blood”. Or like the Sir Guy of Gisbourne version in the BBC series “Robin Hood”.

And it is not secret for people who know me that I love chocolate and kindergarten teaching very much. They are my life.

But this is more like some crazy self-insert. My main character Nagina may have some things in common with me, but that is about it.

Overall, I do not agree with the massacre on-board the Palpatine family yacht that appears in the “Darth Plagueis” novel by James Luceno. And so – extra inspired by the animation movie “Anastasia” from the 20th-Century-Fox-Studios – somebody was spared death.

All the kind comments I got on my version of Sheev in so far, prove me that I did the right thing.

The subject of child abuse is always frightening and I faced it very often in my line of work the past twenty years. This is why I went for it. But it is no excuse what Sheev did. Nagina also met violence and went a different path.

I watched many Palpatine youtube clips about him having relationships. The most striking was:

My research about Sly Moore was also aided by wookiepedia.

All in all various fanfics, including the one of @Darth_Furio, showed me that Sith have unhappy relationships most of the time.

First I was very worried doing it this way, but one of my library books, written by a famous German crime writer, helped me out. He also did it in one of his stories and then I thought: "Why not?"

I am very grateful for this crystal clear analysis. Thanks!

And I am grateful that you found the time to read and comment in here. @};-

Kahara and DarthUncle like this.
  2. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Okay, I was rather creative tonight because the TV program was a disappointment, DarthUncle, earlybird-obi-wan, Darth_Furio, Kahara, DarthMarly and WarmNyota_SweetAyesha:

Celtic challenge, song 2

Title:I will never marry”, a Sheev Palpatine vignette with several parts

Story 7:The wind it did whistle

Summary: A pod race lover attends the galaxy's most important event of the year in the Mos Espa Grand Arena. His niece is with him. But events do not go as planned.

Time frame: The story takes place during the Invasion of Naboo (32 BBY).

Planet of choice: Tatooine

Disclaimer: SW is owned by George Lucas, Lucas Ltd. and now The Walt Disney Company

[​IMG]

The Gamorrean is a paramount of his porcine race. You never saw an uglier or greener individual. Intensely, you listen to his grunts and huffs.

“I have to decline your generous offer.”

You could have told him something else. Something much more menacing. You could have even fried him into a crispy sausage and fed him to his siblings, who stand nearby and shuffle their big feet nervously.

“I advice you to look for a fitting sod elsewhere. This one is already taken.”

The Gamorrean whines like a hurt piglet before the slaughter.

“No, poetry and flowers won't do either.”

He squares his broad shoulders, trying to look more imposing, and barks his last attempt in a high pitched voice.

“Her hand is not negotiable in any way.”

On Muunilinst and Malastare nobody would have offered you a dozen banthas for Nagina. Tatooine is undoubtedly Hutt territory. No morals seem to exist around here.

The large nose holes of the Gamorrean tremble. He gazes at Nagina who hides half of her face behind the screen of her portable watching device.

“Nice try, but this is not the bride you are looking for to please the Clan Mother,” you stress.

He sighs deeply, obviously heartbroken when he repeats your words to himself in his own language.

In dismay you shake your head, while the upset giant walks away sobbing inconsolably.

“Come to Mos Espa!” you say under your breath. “Where the village idiots roam free.”

There will come a day when you will wipe this place clean. For now you are here as a fan of the most exciting sport ever – pod racing. Not even for the on-going Naboo invasion did you want to skip the Boonta Eve Classic. The tickets were a birthday present from your niece. You let her down so many times in her life, that you did not want to upset her.

Besides, here on Tatooine Nagina will totally be unaware of the war machine that you have set in motion. At least until you both return to the Core. She follows the intergalactic news on a daily basis. You wish she would not. When you subscribed her for 'HoloNet Entertainment' you really wanted her to watch more love stories and thrillers. Not your political career on Coruscant.

You reach out for her hands. Gently, you place them into your own lap. “Rest assured that I will not sell you to anybody today,” you say. “Not even for a thousand banthas. They would hardly fit into my senatorial apartment, don't you think?”

Your words earn you a weak smile. “Are you not going for a bigger apartment any time soon?” she asks.

“How so?” You look her straight in the eyes, seeing some hesitation. This makes you rephrase the question. “Why, Nagina?”

She leans in. “You seem to be going for Supreme Chancellor.”

There is no way to fool Nagina. As an experienced kindergarten teacher she has a radar for trouble and lies.

“Maybe,” you announce with a wink. “Finis Valorum was in office long enough, wouldn't you say? If he decided to step down, someone effective would need to take over.”

“Any particular reason why it should be you?”

Suddenly, her eyes have a piercing quality. You regret that she cannot be the Sith empress at your side forever more.

“Am I not cut out to be in charge?” you inquire, certain that nobody around you listens into your conversation.

Bail Organa would also be a fine choice.” She narrows her eyes and you can tell that this has nothing to do with the sun. “A fair one.”

“Too peaceful. Too traditional, if you ask me. This galaxy needs a new vision.”

She giggles. “I am curious about your election campaign already. Who is your elections administrator?”

Before your niece can dig any deeper into the matter, you get up from your seat. “I'll fetch some popcorn for us, shall I?”

“I am not hungry.”

“But you might be later on.”

Determined, you make your way through the row of seats. Some are occupied, others are not.

You could have easily upgraded the seats to a private tribune, but somehow it pleases you immensely to be part of the excited crowd. Among the common people a pod race feels even more real. The sand, the heat, the sweat and, on top it, the noise. All in all you can say that Nagina chose her present for you wisely.

As a Sith it is even your duty to attend today. The local circuit is an ancient course. In the year you started your Sith apprenticeship it had fallen on hard times. It was actually your former master, Darth Plagueis, who came to the rescue. A pod race enthusiast himself, he had supplied Gardulla the Hutt with the necessary finances.

Your pondering is interrupted, because it is time to make your choice at the sales stand.

“Popcorn, please!” you announce to the blue Toydarian and show him your ticket.

He starts shovelling, but the end result is extremely small.

“I want a bigger one,” you complain and lift your sunglasses in dismay.

“Tough bantha poodoo,” the Toydarian sneers back. “You do not have a golden ticket, but a bronze ticket. This entitles you to the small portion only, no drinks included.”

“One portion?” you echo.

“You should read the terms more carefully, old man, when you book on-line.”

You give the alien your most fatherly smile.

“Argh!” he gurgles all of a sudden.

“Are you not well?” you inquire softly, feigning concern.

While the Toydarian thrashes through the air, his facial colour getting an unhealthy shade, the people behind you take their chance to loot the stand.

The wind it did whistle,you comment with a particularly fine smile and start to select what you want.

Not much later you return to Nagina with two huge popcorn containers, a chocolate bar, a lollipop, two giant soft drinks and a parasol.

It sure is nice to get something for free.

“Am I really that fat?” your niece shoots out unexpectedly.

“You won the interest of that Gamorrean for other reasons, my darling girl,” you assure her. “Those piggies have the poor eye sight of a Naboo mole, but, mind you, they have a fine sense of smell.”

Her forehead wrinkles.

“Today you smell like a milaflower,” you compliment her. “Are you using the perfume that I gave you during the last Festival of Lights?”

Nagina nods.

“I wonder who else will ask me for your hand in marriage today,” you chuckle. “Are you willing to accept a Falleen perhaps? I have seen the infamous Prince Xizor around.”

“Sheev!” she shrieks, but your unfortunate birth name sounds more like a sneeze. This is why an elderly Triffis lady hands her a crumbled, but seemingly unused handkerchief.

“Thank you!” Nagina sniffs dignified and you are proud that she has grown into such a well-mannered woman.

You reach out for the program leaflet, printed on a bad quality flimsi sheet. “Let's see! Gasgano, hum no chance, I fear.”

Nagina wriggles closer to you and you place your right arm around her waist, holding on to the leaflet. Together you study the names of the other participants.

“Boles Roor, he is not so bad, uncle.”

It has been a long time since she called you that. Not since the Maul incident.

You scan her with a loving side glance.

Why can't Nagina see how sexy, how provocative she looks in her outfit? Even though she is a big girl it does not change the fact that she has a lovely face. You are also aware that she has a body that most males in this galaxy might dream of at bed time.

“Aldar Beedo is not bad either,” she says, interrupting your train of thought. “His pod racer is an extremely fine model. It features two Manta RamAir Mark IV Flat-Twin Turbojets.”

“But Sebulba is around,” you give to consider. “He will wipe them all out. Including Ebe Endocott and Elan Mak.”

You like a winner to crush the opposition, but on the other hand some variation would be good. The vicious Dug has won too many races unopposed the last season.

Then you gasp.

There is a name on the list that should not be there. You stare at it again, but it does not vanish. The letters start dancing in front of your eyes.

Nagina is unaware of your shock.

Carefully, you reach out in the Force and feel the nine year old. He is in the company of a Jedi somehow.

You bite into the inside of your cheeks.

“Anakin Skywalker?” wonders Nagina, while you try to determine the identity of the boy's companion. “Do you think he is a descendant of Princess Grianán Tjiehennet?”

The famous Serpent bloodline of Draconis. Of course she would know about it. You once hid her in your old apartment for an entire day with but legends and fairy-tales of the Sith to read.

“Oh, look! The leaflet says that this Anakin is not only a local, but only nine years old,” she says, tapping her chin with one finger. “He must be highly Force-sensitive to fly such a thing.”

The last thing you need is your niece finding out what you did.

“Come on!” you try to play the problem down. “Here in the Outer Rim there are many humans with double names like Starkiller, Darklighter and Starstone. I bet even some Whitsuns live here on Tatooine. That the boy carries the name Skywalker is just incidental.”

She crinkles her nose. “What about a census?”

“Only emperors do those,” you joke back.

“That is your real goal, is it not?” she says, her voice small.

“A population census, sure!” you try to appease her.

“No, you going to be emperor, I mean.”

Fortunately, you do not have to answer this one, because the flag carriers march into the arena and Fodesinbeed Annodue, the commentator, starts to address the crowd.

Things are not going quite as foreseen with the boy then. He might come in place sooner than anticipated. How exciting! The future is already in motion.

“What do you think, Nagina? Should we put a small sum on the newcomer?”

She blinks at you.

“No child left behind. That is your motto, is it not?”

Sources:
    The song “I never will marry”, the version of Heather Dale
    Wookieepedia – The Star Wars WikiJedipedia, a free German Star Wars-Encyclopaedia

Last edited: May 3, 2020
  3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] About the Gamorrean and all the piggy references. [face_mischief] Ooh, Nagina does not miss a thing, including Sheev's real goals politically :p And his reaction to the name on the racers' list. :D Cool tie-in back to Gri's story. :cool: =D=

Kahara, AzureAngel2 and DarthUncle like this.
  4. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    always scheming. Sheev has already his eyes on the boy.

Kahara, AzureAngel2 and DarthUncle like this.
  5. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    WarmNyota_SweetAyesha: I am glad you noticed all those things with your eagle sharp eyes & very reflective way of reading. If you spotted some flaws in the text, because DarthUncle found many, please tell me!

earlybird-obi-wan: I feel like writing a follow-up with Maul any time soon... but first my threatening RL deadlines.

DarthUncle and Kahara like this.
  6. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    To all who love to hear about the Sheevster and those are hopefully:

DarthUncle, earlybird-obi-wan, Darth_Furio, Kahara, DarthMarly, WarmNyota_SweetAyesha & DARTH_MU

If this update list is not longer correct, please let me know immediately!

Celtic challenge, song 2

Title:“I will never marry”, a Sheev Palpatine vignette with several parts

Story 8:“In those waters to sleep

Summary: War games are important when aiming for absolute power and so is grooming a new Sith apprentice. But then a nightly holonet call proves that there are greater things to value in a life that is dedicated to the dark side.

Time frame: 22 BBY

Planet of choice: Serenno

Disclaimer: SW is owned by George Lucas, Lucas Ltd. and now The Walt Disney Company

The holo call comes in in the middle of the night. It is from one of your trusted sources on Coruscant. You rush forward to the Sith robe, that you placed next to your bed. For the human servants of House Serenno this piece of clothing looks like a dark morning robe any way.

“Ignorance is bliss,” you chuckle.

Quickly, you slip into the velvet embrace of the robe. It feels like the skin of a willing lover. You fasten the Sith brooch like you did a million times before. The transformation spell begins to work straight away, perverting the truth. Then you pull your hood over your face, only leaving your nostrils and mouth visible.

[​IMG]

Your spy is patient and keeps calling.

Finally, you activate the portable holo screen.

“Yes?” you breathe, your voice but a susurration.

Aurra Sing looks grave. “Milord. You asked me to tell you immediately when something unusual happens around here.”

“Go ahead!” you order, fear reaching out for your heart.

“Barriss Offee, a talented Force healer, has entered the flat building. It seems that a certain Mistress Auyapgajo has asked for her attendance.”

Unseen by the bounty hunter, you close your eyes. “In those waters to sleep”, you mouth soundlessly.

Mistress Auyapgajo is the Twi'lek neighbour of your niece. If she has noticed something amiss, then it could explain why Nagina is not answering your telepathical attempt to get in touch.

“Can you find out what this is all about without being seen?” you snap, trying to keep your worries to yourself.

“Of course.”

Aurra Sing severs the holo connection.

You hope that this cursed woman is as good as her fame suggests. To do a soul journey right now would be absolute madness.

When you had to leave for Serenno, you had to make sure that somebody keeps an eye on your niece. Losing Barin in such a despicable way has crushed her.

For a while you even considered not going to your secret meeting with Count Dooku, aka Darth Tyranus, but too much is at stake.

You walk to the window and open it wide.

The night breeze carries the beguiling scent of roses with it.

There had been roses at Convergence, too.

You press a hand against your chest, feeling your fast heartbeat stronger than before.

The rose bushes of your ancestral home are long gone. And so are the huge trash containers outside the kitchen. Especially the one you had found Nagina in when she was but three years old.

After the elimination of your entire family two years later you had attacked that container with your light saber. You had not rested until you had reduced it to a puddle of molten metal. Shortly afterwards you had sold the villa and the land that surrounds it.

You snarl.

Cosinga had been an abusive monster, but you doubt that you are any better than the man who fathered you. Leaving your niece behind in her hour of need is a crime. Barin had been the love of her life.

Brooding, you stare out into the starlit night.

The palace of your host stands on its own grounds, a rectangular area located on a cliff face. Your guest room faces one of the three ornamental gardens.

“Fit for a journey like this or not, I should have taken you with me. Even against your will,” you consider aloud.

To explain Nagina's existence with well placed lies would have been all too easy. You do that since many years. Usually, you suggest she is one of your concubines.

Of course, it is a risk to introduce her to the count. Well calculated, but still. There is not much trust and love between a Sith lord and his master.

You close the window again, repulsed by the scent of roses.

“If Barin and you would have been able to have children together, you would have more reason to live on,” you mutter.

But then again, Nagina has chosen to be a kindergarten teacher. There are indeed children. Not hers, but they are her beloved students.

“For their sake go on with your life!” you say in a broken voice. “Find your peace in teaching their young minds!”

You start praying that she has not done anything stupid. Something that only you might regret as the sole survivor of the entire drama. Her death would turn you into the last Palpatine.

“No!” you hiss and make a fist.

If Nagina is dead then you will find ways to retrieve her. Forbidden ones, but surely effective.

The signal of an incoming holo call startles you.

“Milord!” Aurra Sing greets you.

“What were you able to find out?”

“It appears that Mistress Samye took an alarming amount of sleeping pills, but her neighbour found her in time.”

One does not take sleeping pills and quietly drifts into the realm of death. This is not how real life works.

“The Force healer was able to repair the damage to her organs and her brain. Mistress Samye is in a Force trance now.”

This leads you to the following question, “And where are you?”

“Right next to my target. Change of plans.”

Relief floods you. Aurra Sing showed much needed self-initiative here.

“I gave the neighbour the impression that I would be a good friend and can take matters overfrom her.”

“And will you?”

She raises her chin in a proud manner. “The exact wording of my mission was to guard Mistress Samye by all means possible. Until your return, milord.”

People around Nagina tend to develop a strange loyalty to her right after being closer acquainted with her. It is a blessing and a curse alike.

You will let Aurra Sing live for now. There will be ways to get rid of her at a later point.

“We will be in touch!” you let the bounty hunter know.

This time you cut the connection first, having the upper hand again.

You cross your fingers behind your back, start pacing through the bedroom.

Nagina can be a handful. Aurra Sing does not need to be alone on this mission. There is another. It will be a double murder for you, but not one you need to rush for immediately.

Without a change of clothes you leave your room in your midnight blue Sith robes.

No guards nor servants are around, but you are not a fool. You are carefully watched by another.

Count Dooku arrives together with you in his empty throne room.

“I need a favour, my student,” you tell the much older man straight up.

He bows politely. “Whatever it is you wish for, my master, you shall have it.”

“The contact data of that little pet of yours.”

Surprise is written all over his bearded face. “Ventress?” he inquires. “Asajj Ventress?”

“Yes, that bold-headed assassin from Dathomir.”

Without hesitation Count Dooku, aka Darth Tyranus, hands you his private communicator. “I hope she will not let you down, my master.”

“Let us hope for the best,” you answer.

There are many things that you could add. That it is a delicate mission. That your private happiness depends on it greatly. That you are cold because you have not bothered to put on shoes. That you rather be with Nagina than with him.

“Will that be all?” your apprentice asks.

“For now it will be sufficient.”

You could demand all of his rose bushes to be destroyed, but that would be too much to ask for. Perhaps you might do that when he ruins an important battle for you.

“Then I will take my leave again,” he suggests.

You raise a hand in denial. “Stay!”

Something hard has been pressing against your right thigh teasingly since you left your chambers. Now it is time to reveal it.

Wide-eyed Count Dooku stares at the red glow of your activated light saber.

“We might well use the time for some midnight sparring,” you purr.

“Indeed,” he gives back, activates his own weapon and salutes to you.

You do not use Dun Mönch for your attack. Taunting through distraction and doubt is not your chosen combat style for tonight. Atra-Manua, or The Way of the Black Hand, is more to your liking. It is one of the hardest forms to master, but you do not intend to be gentle.

Over and over your swords clash together.

Your anger about Nagina's suicide attempt gives you extreme power.

After just twenty minutes Dooku falls to his knees, his torso covered with light saber wounds. There are beads of sweat at the corners of his temples.

“You did well,” you assure him with an acknowledging nod. “Better than expected. I look forward to our next spontaneous training round. Good night!”

When you are several steps away, you can hear how laboriously he lifts himself up from the floor. But you have no pity with him. This is not how your relationship is supposed to work.

On your way back to your room you see mouse droids, cleaning the castle floors.

Just for the fun of it, you cut through six of them.

You lock the door behind youand take out Dooku's private communicator.

A suicide attempt is not to be taken lightly.

You will not only need a decent therapist for Nagina, but also a lot of time and commitment. More babysitters on the scene, when you are not around, might also be essential for her healing process.

Krennic is a useful asset, but he might be too much at present. Besides, he is still in the planning stages of 'Project Celestial'. To interrupt a vile genius at work would be inexcusable. Perhaps in three years time you will involve him.

Sighing, you stare at the communicator.

It cannot be helped.

Ventress needs to be inside Nagina's flat in addition. Sworn to the dark side, she and Aurra Sing might be the much better companions for her right now. They might even show more compassion and sympathy than you, the source for all current problems.

Sources:
    Wookieepedia – The Star Wars Wiki
    Jedipedia, a free German Star Wars-Encyclopaedia

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Superb musings & interactions =D=

Kahara and AzureAngel2 like this.
  8. Darth_Drachonus

Darth_Drachonus Jedi Master star 3

Oct 4, 2005
    Disturbing at some points. But I like it!

9. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    good that Aurra Sing was there for Nagina

10. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    WarmNyota_SweetAyesha: Thanks for saying so. I was very nervous about writing this one. It is not an easy subject.

Darth_Drachonus: The dark side is disturbing terrain indeed.

earlybird-obi-wan: Do not forget Asaij Ventress, who will arrive later on in the story! It is described in my 21st vignette.

Kahara and DarthUncle like this.
  11. DarthUncle

DarthUncle Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 20, 2005
    Despite the heavy topic, this manages to be completely hilarious, in a chilling sort of way. Sheev is a good mix of himself as we know him from the movies, and the lego star wars' emperor's sense of dark humor.

Kahara and WarmNyota_SweetAyesha like this.
  12. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Read the first two.

Let me know if you want me to get "wordy". Otherwise, I think Cowgirl's earlier review covers all the salient points!

13. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Sith-I-5: Now you make me curious, because you only comment when you really consider it important to do so.

14. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Okay, the first one, for me, ramped up beyond the normal Nagina/Sheeve status quo, once water was sighted, and she got all excited, although it felt odd that she would press her nose to the sight on a viewscreen, rather than to a window.

Excellent interactions between them from that point, especially with Palpie playing with the kidnapping tropes, and promising to release her at the beginning of the school term.

With the second one, having only seen Nagina whisper the name of her long dead hubby, it was nice to see Barin in the flesh, and observe Sheeve's patience and candour with the man, once he knew his niece had someone capable of protecting her.

The Barin episode was the best of the two, as it was a great effort throughout; whilst the first, while good, was the same level as your main thread that I followed for so long.

8/10

Kahara, DarthUncle and AzureAngel2 like this.
  15. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    You saying all those things is almost as fantastic as having gotten a hug and a kiss by Tori Amos in front of her tour bus last night, Sith-I-5! [face_love]

Now I need to hurry for the Comic Con here in Berlin! :D

16. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    My first Christmas without my father. There is no Christmas tree this year, no presents, so songs and no joy.

I am glad that my husband @DarthUncle is around and went to the grave yard with my mother & my older brother instead of me. I am very ill with vicious stomach cramps & problems. But I was able to write this, even though it contains a mega-spoiler for my Nagina epic. My father´s death shows me that all good things come to an end.

Celtic challenge, song 2

Title:
    “I will never marry”, a Sheev Palpatine vignette with several parts

Story 9: “The days of my life”

Summary:
    Power, unlimited power comes with a price. Especially to those, who opened up themselves to the glory of the dark side. Because there is no place for love. And darkness is full of false promises and betrayal.

Time frame: 19 BBY

Planet of choice:
    Coruscant

There is dry blood on your face. It sticks to the corners of your mouth, and has even flown out of your nostrils and your ears. This is but a small inconvenience for you.

The Aorth-6 virus, unleashed by traitorous Gentis, must have wiped out about seventy members of your entourage – clone troopers, Royal Red Guards, storm troopers and Imperial officers.

You snarl.

Without the mercy and sustenance of the dark side of the Force, you would have not survived this vile terrorist attack. Your sheer willpower has kept the deadly virus at bay, while everybody else around you melted from the inside out with liquefied lungs. If the situation had not been so dire, you would have cheered about so much blood and gore.

The Clone Wars veteran Trachta, aided by Lord Vader, has brought you into safety. To a place that was only known to you.

Inside a stasis chamber you have been left to rest, fighting the battle of your life. Hour after hour. Now you are the sole winner. Not the biologically engineered necrotic virus. Yet you do not feel glorious.

You should have foreseen this attack. Why have you failed despite all your dark powers? You are not the Sith lord you are supposed to be. Something small, seemingly insignificant, is holding you back. You cannot imagine what it is.

One of Nagina’s little chants comes into your mind. She usually sings it during household cores.

Sage and crone, sage and crone,
    Wisdom’s gift shall be our own.
    Crone and sage, crone and sage,
    Wisdom is the gift of age.”

Wisdom.

You are the former apprentice of Darth Plagueis the Wise. But never before have you drawn back into safety. It was never an option. Just this once, you had no choice. Your life depended on it. And not only your own. Your death would have fallen on Nagina like an anvil and crushed her underneath. Some of your enemies know who she is, due to chatty Sate.

When Gentis is punished alongside the rebel scum who helped him, you will put the old viper back in line, too.

“Sate, I should have never made you Nagina’s god father.”

He has been entirely unworthy of your darling niece from the very beginning.

You open the lid of your stasis chamber and fresh air floods your tormented lungs.

For a brief moment, you think of Naboo, the home world you have come to loath. There was this meadow in the Lake Country where your niece loved to go. Perhaps you should take a couple of days off and bring her there.

It has been too long that you were with Nagina in person. You have reached an age were you should better plan the remaining days of your life.

You nod to yourself.

Until now, you have always put your plans of power and dominion first. You can never make up for what is lost. It is foolish to think otherwise. Some quality time with Nagina would do you good though.

Vader is a bore, not meeting any of your expectations and the newly founded Imperial Council annoys you even more. But this is not the right moment to replace any of them. There will be better occasions.

You pull your hood back on your bald head.

Suddenly, you notice that there is something wrong. It is not the dried blood in your face and on your robes. Or your location.

You place a hand on your chest.

“No,” you whisper. “This can’t be.”

Nagina had been alive during the attack. You had felt her in the Force as usual. A friendly spark of light in the dark night of your soul.

With all your might you reach out for her, but only silence answers you.

Trembling, you lean against the cold steel.

This can’t be happening!

The universe collapses around you like a pile of cold ash.

With heavy steps you walk forward.

There is an ultimate price every Sith has to pay. You avoided it as long as possible. But deep inside you knew that day would come. And here it is. The dark side will not be betrayed.

“She is gone,” you say to yourself.

Master Yoda, the old spoil sport, once told Skywalker in a private conversation, “Death is a natural part of life. Rejoice for those around you who transform into the Force. Mourn them do not! Miss them do not! Attachment leads to jealousy. The shadow of greed that is. Train yourself to let go of everything that you fear to lose.”

All your schemes to protect Nagina, even involving Krennic, have proven to be pointless.

You will need somebody to fetch her corpse for you. She will be granted a funeral service here on Coruscant worthy of an Empress. Finally, the galaxy will come to know who she was and how much she meant to you. Then you will let everybody pay for her death. Higher taxes, more draft calls to fill up your army, a harsher punishment for crimes against your person. They deserve. You deserve it.

You will bleed them out, the citizens of your Empire.

The military will not have reason to be cheerful either. Everybody will end up broken. For hope is gone. It died with her.

[​IMG]

With new determination you make it to the location where you can feel Vader. Your apprentice is inside a huge hangar and, as ever when it comes to him, there is fighting.

Briefly, you take time to notice Imperial cadets and the convicts of 'Ghost Prison'. But those are details that have no true meaning to you. Not right now. There is unfinished business.

You walk forward to a kneeling person. It is Headmaster Gentis, cradling his dead son Caul.

The general has his way of moaning and you certainly have your own. With a grin you unleash all that you feel and direct it straight at Nagina’s murderer.

“Your reign is over, Headmaster!” you inform him as your lightning bolts fry him into oblivion.

While you do so, tears stream over your face. But they are not tears of sorrow. They are signs of your joy. Ugly laughter bubbles out of you at the same time.

Willingly or not, you have sacrificed your niece. The dark side seems to have accepted your offer. Now you can be the Sith that you need to be and there will be no holding back. Never again.

Sources:
    A Wiccan chant
    Speech of Master Yoda from the movie “Star Wars: The Revenge of the Sith” (2005)
    Words from Emperor Palpatine from “Star Wars: Darth Vader and the Ghost Prison” a five-issue comic book miniseries from Dark Horse Comics, written by Haden Blackman (2012)
    Wookieepedia – The Star Wars Wiki
    Jedipedia, a free German Star Wars-Encyclopaedia

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  17. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    As always, excellent characterization and very plausible why for an increase in 'sithyness. [face_thinking] Thank you for posting this and feel better soon! @};- [:D]

18. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    And with that, he becomes the Sheev I know and love to hate. Strangely enough, I'm not sure how I feel about that.

19. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Kind greetings from the Netherlands, where I am with my Dutch husband @DarthUncle at present. Tonight his younger sister & her three kids, who live in England, will join us at my mother-in-law´s place.

Thanks for your refreshing comments on the old Sheevster, @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha & @Cowgirl Jedi 1701.

I am sorry that this vignette for the Celtic challenge contains spoilers for the main Nagina story. But all good stories need to end at one point.

20. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Extra information: Being ill at home finally gave me the time to add some paintings to most fics in this thread. There are still some missing though.

21. DarthUncle

DarthUncle Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 20, 2005
    Chilling how Sheev allows his darkness to even taint his feelings for his niece, warping his sadness into gloating lightning that incinerates the enemy he himself created and strengthens his resolve to be evil, turning him into the emperor we all got to know in Empire Strikes Back, the black figure without any redeeming quality on the back of losing her.

And even here, he keeps showing why, as Nagina knew there would be, there will always come a new hope:
    When I compare that to Nagina's first real meeting with Vader, only hours before the end of her story, she sees the person in him, the potential for conflict, and teases a more interesting response out of him than her uncle manages. He just can't inspire, because the dark side is about destruction, not creating. Maybe Nagina helped keep alive the spark of lightness that was in Vader, just by that one meeting.

22. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    @DarthUncle: Thanks for taking the time to read and comment brilliantly!

I might find the time to hoover while you are away, my little house elf. ;)

23. Vek Talis

Vek Talis Jedi Master star 3

Oct 12, 2018
    I've read the first story only so far...

“You are a monster.”
    Perhaps you are.

Oh, Palpatine, you're no monster. You're going to set things right. And then the galaxy can have... peace. [face_devil]

If your spin doctor catches you this way then you will need to kill him.

Oh, I loved that line, most of all because Palpy ain't kidding! [face_skull]

Quickly you add, “I was the only grown-up to drag a hot blooded Zabrak youth away from you.”

Down Maul, down! Heel boy! :p

“We were just snuggling.”

A Sith... snuggling!?! Oh, my, lol.

“Such a simple thing, a kiss one might think.”

A simple act, but far from simple in its implications.

“For kidnapping you in an outrageous manner?” you comment gleefully. “You are very welcome, I guess.”

Good to see Palpy's human side for a change.

You also have duties to attend to after this holiday break is over. There is a senate to undermine, a Sith apprentice to force back in line and a master to bedazzle.

[face_rofl] So much to do in the life of a Sith.

I enjoyed the first story thoroughly. Am looking forward to reading more.

24. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Well, thank you very, very much @Vek Talis. I also had much fun writing this, putting Old Sheev into a totally different setting. With somebody who is truly family but know that he is a Sith since early childhood days.

25. Vek Talis

Vek Talis Jedi Master star 3

Oct 12, 2018
    Story 2

nerf-roast with Corellian potato sticks

=P~ Mmm, sounds delicious.

There is just this warm fuzzy feeling in the air, that you never fully gave into as a Sith lord.

Aw, why not? Even Sith Lords can be cuddly, sometimes. [face_mischief]

Can even use the toilet on my own.

So he says. o_O

“Pardon me, but that sounds like the name for some dumb beast of slaughter,” Barin says bluntly.

And it's Force Lightning for dessert, then? ;)

“It was the name of my father's shaving lotion,” you confine to him.

[face_laugh] Yep, he's a dead man. You can't go around giving away secrets like that and then let the scum sucker live, now can you?

“Immensely.” You flash him your widest grin.

Heh, there's the Emperor in that wicked grin. :D

“I never touched her in any inappropriate way,” you prompt and blend out all the Sith incidents you made your niece face over the years.

Uh-huh. [face_plain]

You decide to hear him out instead of frying him with Force lightning.

[face_rofl] It happens so rarely.

“You could call me Sid,” you propose with a malicious grin.

Laugh Sid and Nancy, perhaps. :p

“A bad one,” you answer.

Barin von Dufus is about to get that Lightning treat, if he doesn't quit with the observations. [face_skull]

Excellent, as I've come to expect from you,
    @AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 likes this.