main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chicago Cubs

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Strilo , Nov 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shiva

Shiva Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 4, 2006
    The only problem I see with Cinncinatti and Pittsburgh is a lack of direction. If there is a team that MIGHT sneak in and cause problems it could be the Milwaukee Brewers.

2. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    The Brewers seem to somehow always beat the Cubs... or at least too frequently. It's freakish.

3. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    We had a good home record with the rival that really counts,The Cards...

The Brewers aren't even a rival to us,unless they we are both in a possible play off race which neither of us usually are.

Well I thought I'd update this for the Jason Marquais signing. Pretty good deal I think,Marquais in his prime was outstanding. This signing also gives us some opitions with starting pitchers which the Cubs desperatly need. Now to sign the last desired free agent...

[image=http://media.theinsiders.com/Media/MLB/371383_cliff-floyd.JPG]

Cliff Floyd is just what we need in Center field. He's a local boy too, born and raised in Chicago so the idea of playing for us may be tempting.(He actually lived too towns over from me)

Jacque Jones is Hendry's trade bait IMO. I don't know a lot of teams that would want him though. I heard rumors that the Yankees were interested but I doubt they have a lot of truth to them

4. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2005
    You must mean left field, as he can barely play that at his current state. He is a warrior and a leader, but he will miss his share of games.

And I would not worry about the Brewers. This is the same team that complains about the runaway market and then proceeds to spend $42 million on a #3 starter who had a good playoffs (Jeff Suppan).

5. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    No I mean center field. The transistion from left to center isn't drastic and I think Floyd can handle it. Here is my projected opening day roster

RF...Alfonso Soriano
    LF...Matt Murton
    CF...Jacque Jones or Felix Pie depending on if they move him up to the Majors
    1st...Derek Lee
    2nd...Mark Derosa
    SS...Cezar Izturis(All though I would like to see him traded to get a spot for Ryan Theriot)
    3rd...Aramis Raimeriz

Starting Pitchers...
    Carlos Zambrano
    Ted Lily
    Rich Hill
    Jason Marquais
    Wade Miller

I'd place my money on Miller getting the last starting pitcher spot over Prior who seems to have traded his greatness for a glass arm

6. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Don't get me started on Prior.

7. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2005
    You can't be serious. Center field is the most demanding outfield position that requires the most speed and athleticism.

8. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    Well I don't know maybe it was a bit of an overstatement. Soriano and Jones could handle it.

Prior is indeed a joke,more disapointing than Kerry "75% of my arm isn't real" Wood

9. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Both of them are a huge disappointment to me.

10. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    Disapointment is putting it mildly

11. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Well I don't think "huge disappointment" is putting it mildly. I mean anything more than that sounds like emotional reactionary Internet hyperbole.

12. Saruman-the-White

Saruman-the-White Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 1, 2005
    Both pitchers got a ton of hype in their respective 'coming out' years: Drac has a right to be upset.

13. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Sure they did. And all Cubs fans have a right to be frustrated about it. I just think the phrase "huge disappointment" is fittingly stated. I think it can be said that Wood and Prior have been a complete failure for the Cubs.

14. Shiva

Apr 4, 2006
    We shall just have to see what the 07 season brings. One thing is for certain: Players will either play or leave the team. This new manager is NOT going to be letting the players dictate policy. Either they perform or they go OUT THE DOOR!

15. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I am indeed looking forward to what Sweet Lou will do.

16. Shiva

Apr 4, 2006
    First thing we can look forward to is more discipline. No more players deciding what they are going to do and when they will do it. Second thing is better conditioning. Lou is, from what I am hearing, already talking about both sessions in the morning and the evenings to get everybody in shape for when the regular season starts. And there WILL be competition for the vets for some of the positions. Lou will work with both vets and rookies to see who gets to go where.

Time for Spring training to begin, and fairly soon we will hear that famous cry [b" PLAY BALL!][/b]

17. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Discipline and training. Most definately needed.

18. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    The Cubs picked the best availble manager. Though I was a fan of Dusty and was sort of sad to see him go, I think picking someone as motivated and strong minded as Sweet Lou was the right choice.

The key this year is the health of the team,the Cardinals aren't such a dominating force in the NLC next to a healthy Cubs roster

19. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    I thought I'd update it after the news that Soriano will more than likely be the new Center Fielder.

Good Choice? I think so. Soriano has great speed so I think he can more than handle it and if he doesn't the Minor League sensation Felix Pie could be called up.

20. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Yeah I think that's good news. I've always liked Soriano as a player. At this point I start getting a little more antsy each week for the season to start...

21. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    The Cubs have signed Cliff Floyd

From Cubs.com...
    CHICAGO -- Cliff Floyd can't wait to enjoy his mother's home cooking on a regular basis.
    The Cubs completed their free agent acquisitions Wednesday, signing Floyd to a one-year, $3 million incentive-loaded contract with a mutual option for 2008. It's a homecoming for the outfielder, a Chicago native who was a three-sport star in baseball, football and basketball at Thornwood High School in South Holland, Ill.

"It's been a dream of mine for a long time," Floyd said about playing for the Cubs. "I wished I would've been drafted by them. My family's been behind me in every decision I've made, but they were definitely hoping this opportunity would present itself. I look forward to coming home and playing."

When Floyd was growing up, he would dash home after school to watch the Cubs' day games on television.

"The man upstairs put me here and I'm going to take full advantage of it," he said. "I've thought about it numerous nights. It's been a long time since my heart was pumping for a press conference, but it's pumping today."

Floyd, 34, batted .244 in 97 games with the New York Mets last season, hitting 11 homers and driving in 44 runs. He gives new Cubs manager Lou Piniella a much-needed left-handed bat and some balance. The Cubs outfielders now include Floyd, Alfonso Soriano, Jacque Jones, Matt Murton, Angel Pagan and possibly Felix Pie.

"It just gives us a lot of depth," Cubs general manager Jim Hendry said. "It will enable us to survive if we have an injury. Obviously, our depth was a problem when [Derrek Lee] went down last year."

Floyd nearly played for Hendry at Creighton when the Cubs general manager was the coach there. In fact, Floyd still calls Hendry "Coach."

He has played for the Montreal Expos, Florida Marlins, Boston Red Sox and the Mets, and has a career .279 average. Floyd was limited to 332 at-bats last year because of an injured Achilles tendon but had surgery this offseason. The problem was a bone spur that was rubbing his Achilles. Floyd predicts he'll be nearly 100 percent by Spring Training.

Complete coverage >
    "I'll be close," he said. "I'm working every day, Monday through Friday. They tell me I'm ahead of schedule. I look forward to being ready for camp. Anything less than that would disappoint me. I tried to play through it, which was probably the wrong thing to do. I feel good. I don't think they'll have to baby me. I want Lou to put me out there and help the team win."

Where will Piniella put Floyd? It depends. He played left field last season for the Mets, but has also played right, center and some first base. Is Floyd ready to platoon?

"I think everybody likes to play," he said. "I think the main thing is doing what the team needs me to do. I mean that sincerely. If you want to win, you do what the team needs you to do to win. If you talk about platooning and all this stuff, I don't think it becomes an issue. If I go out and play like I know I can play, you won't hear that word [platoon] the rest of the season."

Hendry said he's looking forward to a lineup with Floyd, Lee and Aramis Ramirez.

"This really helps balance our left, right situation," Hendry said.

Floyd said the move is a good challenge, and that he has "a little chip on his shoulder."

"The chip is when you're hurt, and it gives you that edge again -- that type of chip," Floyd said. "For eight years, you might have gotten complacent. You had a contract, and everything was cool. This gives me a chance to play for my hometown. I have a general manager I've wanted to play for since I was 17, 18 years old. I think I've got a lot to show."

Floyd is the sixth new free agent added to the Cubs for the 2007 season, joining Soriano, Ted Lilly, Jason Marquis, Mark DeRosa, and Daryle Ward. The team has committed more than $300 million this offseason to players. Hendry may finally be finished -- sort of.

"I don't ever feel like you're done," Hendry said. "We're certainly not looking to sign any more free agents at this

22. Shiva

Apr 4, 2006
    OK. They signed Floyd. But, its a question of finding a spot for him to play! He may end up being, as suggested, a platoon player with some work as a coach and pinch hitter.

23. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    I see him being a pinch hitter

24. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Time will tell.

25. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    Murton is just too fast to give up his LF spot to an older player. Matt Murton has a great future in front of him and has tons of potential.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.