main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V Clone Wars Continuity Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sabarte, May 12, 2008.

1. Yes the New Canon is taking elements from the EU but both Universes in the End are different for me TCW and all Filoni Shows and Stories only occur in the Disney Universe

2. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    That's fine, but you need to realize that this too is not an official stance given that Legends is composed of several works up to 2014 that were directly influenced by Clone Wars Seasons 1-6 and the 2008 film, so in order to avoid that, your cutoff date must begin... arguably, about 2007. Even authors who spoke against the new era like Karen Traviss were still influenced by it until at least 2009, so it's not exactly a clear cut situation. Plagueis relies on it, as does the (granted, rather unpopular) end of the FoTJ conclusion. Several sourcebooks from the time period reference it extensively. Novels like "The Last Jedi" (not to be confused with the film) rely on it and made retcons to deal with it. There's a good 6 years of the EU (1/4 of its life post HttE) that's trapped in this interesting void that can't so easily exist without TCW.

They promised a new official timeline, but never made one. I can understand why, but that doesn't mean I can't try to do so for fun. Maybe I even enjoy it more than reading either separately? Maybe a lot of viewers would if they just had an idea of where stories can fit?

I'm not saying it's wrong for you to enjoy that view. I'm saying that is no more of an officially supported stance than what I'm proposing here. I'm not going to suddenly change my mind in setting up a timeline that shows ways the two eras can work together just because you choose not to believe it's possible. I'm doing this because I believe there are ways to make it just consistent enough that many people might enjoy said reading/viewing order.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2023
  3. They dont care about Legends i think the issue of TCW with Legends will never be Fixed they already Move On they have a New Universe now why should they care about the Continuity of a Old Universe that they no longer consider Canon?

4. HEDGESMFG

Nov 20, 2010
    Who is "they"?

Dave Filoni? The guy who just brought a major EU character to Live Action for the first time?
    The actors? People like James Arnold Taylor who bring up the TCW microseries at almost every panel these days because he still loves the hell out of it?
    Timothy Zhan, who is still writing novels heavily inspired by his old works?
    Kathleen Kennedy? Who has turned resurrecting EU characters into a centerpiece of some of the latest projects, and gave Dave the rights to make a film that will likely adapt and use some of these characters?
    Pablo Hidalgo? Who not only wrote many EU stories, but makes references to them regularly in his new sourcebook?
    Authors like Jason Fry? Who have read this very thread and even liked some of our ideas (whether or not he actually used them)?
    EA? Who continues to give SWTOR new content long after the fact?

I'm not asking for them to release new versions of the old books that are rewritten to be 100% canon friendly. That's not necessary. I'm not asking them to say "sorry, we were wrong. The EU is back". I'm asking people like you to let us play around with our imagination and the often very subjective, fluid facts of a fictional universe without being so needlessly negative every time we come up with a clever idea.

You're not contributing anything meaningful to these ideas by just coming in here and negging us about it.

5. Well for me TCW topic with Legends is closed in my Headcanon TCW is Disney Universe but if you want TCW to be Legends its Good for you for me is more enjoyable that both Universes could be more different

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2023
  6. Golbolco

Golbolco Jedi Master star 3

Jan 20, 2016
    Your post really resonates with me. I wish more people would take a nuanced view towards these things, because I try to take a similar approach with the post-ROTJ eras (much harder to square, frankly.)

HEDGESMFG and darthosaka like this.
  7. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I think overall people are far to invested and rigid about fictional universes. This is for fun. If I want to imagine the mandalorian as existing in the EU so be it. If I don’t also so be it. Same with other materials. It’s all what we make of it.

but yes if you want to take TCW out of the EU it makes more of a mess than keeping it in. At least unless you want to discard a lot of the post 2008 EU.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2023
    FS26, darthosaka and Golbolco like this.
  8. Well in Republic Commando Novels Mandalore is more different from TCW Version of Mandalore in those Novels its a Desert Planet its more like how Mandalore was in the EU those Novels contradict TCW

The Clone Alpha-17 is the Multimedia Project Equivalent of Rex the Character of Rex was Originally going to be Alpha-17 how can Alpha-17 and Rex coexist if both Characters are Very Similar? Alpha-17 was also Friend of Anakin and Obi Wan just like Rex

All TCW Novels, Comics and Video Games could Easy be part of the New Canon Universe these Stories could have happened between the Seasons i know that some EU Characters like Gilad Pellaeon or Callista Ming appear in some TCW Novels but you could Retcon that the Pellaeon or Callista from those Novels are just the New Canon Version of the Characters

In the Original Battlefront 2 Video Game you Play as the 501st Legion and Rex never appears or is mentioned the same with the Comics of Dark Times or the Novels Post Episode 3 yes Rex could just have escaped but its too much coincidence the Clones dont have Chips in Legends so how that work with TCW being part of Legends? Ahsoka also is almost not mentioned in the EU

I have already given many examples of why i believe that TCW dont Fit well in Legends but well if you want TCW to be part of Legends thats on you i just want Continuity to be easier for everyone to understand im sure that in 2005 the Prequels Movies had a different Vision Multimedia Project was Created during the Prequels while TCW is after the Prequels so both Visions of the Prequels Movies could be different

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2023
  9. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    You're right, they're so similar they'd have to be clones for it to work. And for them BOTH to know Anakin and Obi-Wan? The whole army would have to be nothing but clones!

10. Sorry but Alpha-17 is the Original Rex he is the Rex of the Multimedia Project or Legends TCW has many contradictions with the Multimedia Project Even Piell died in TCW Show but in the EU he is still alive after Order 66, Asajj Ventress is a Rattataki in Multimedia Project not a Nightsister this is Confirmed in a Republic Comic, Finis Valorum dies in a Ship in Multimedia Project but in TCW he is still alive, Sora Bulq Turn to the Dark Side in Multimedia Project but in TCW he is still a Jedi, in Multimedia Project Adi Gallia died against General Grievous but in TCW Show she dies against Savage Opress, when Anakin becomes a Jedi Knight in Jedi Trial later in a Republic Comic Saesee Tiin congratulates Anakin and during that time the Clones they are already in their Phase 3 Armor in Multimedia Project Anakin becomes a Jedi Knight in 19 BBY not in 22 BBY in TCW when Anakin is a Jedi Knight the Clones are in their Phase 1 Armor since its the beginning of the Clone Wars

You could do Retcons all you want for TCW to Fit in the Expanded Universe/Legends but the reality is that TCW was never made to be compatible with the Multimedia Project TCW was Lucas Canon and Disney Canon is the Successor of Lucas Canon so TCW should be only Disney Canon Filoni and Lucas didnt care about contradicting the Multimedia Project so for me TCW is Disney Canon only if you remove TCW Show from your Headcanon in Legends the Timeline its almost the same and even is more Enjoyable because there are fewer Continuity Errors TCW is a Good Show but for me its not part of the Expanded Universe/Legends Timeline

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2023
  11. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    Yep. And to be honest it probably wasn't the wisest decision to do a big project like that in the exact same time period Lucas was telling stories in. It would have been a wiser decision to do what they are doing now and set a big project like that in a time period that the people creating onscreen Star Wars wouldn't have been as interested in.

There was enough evidence even back then I believe that you couldn't really trust Lucas's word.

Lord Sith Harloxzz likes this.
  12. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Also Lucas didn’t care. I mean he cared enough to not let them kill any main characters that he created. But other than that Lucas didn’t care about the EU. Other than some very limited guidelines like not touching the clone wars before the prequels. It was always people playing on his sand box. But he always would destroy whatever he liked at any given point.

13. I wonder how you can make sense of Ventress being a different Species in the Multimedia Project with TCW in the same Universe? or Even Piell appearing on Coruscant Nights if he died in TCW he even had a Funeral maybe Even Piell had a Twin Brother? why is Quinlan Vos a Happy Man in TCW if he is a Serious Man in the Multimedia Project? the Comic where Ventress leaves the Scar to Anakin now occurs in 22 BBY? TCW also contradicts ROTS Novelization TCW should be Disney Canon only

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2023
    KamNale likes this.
  14. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    I'm not saying that I don't agree with you, but TCW became so damn entwined with the regular Legends chronology that it's tough to make that definitive cut. I mean, as others said, the Mortis arc is tied directly into the ending of Fate of the Jedi.

15. Well you could do a Retcon that Anakin and Obi Wan met the Celestials in a different way than what was seen in TCW the rest can easily be ignored in Legends but well its decision of each Fan to have their own Headcanon and what to include and what not

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2023
  16. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    People have very strong opinions of FotJ anyway, @whiskers.

Xammer and Revanfan1 like this.
  17. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    Very true. Hell, I know someone who has their personal headcanon as ending after Hand of Thrawn.

Revanfan1 and Sinrebirth like this.
  18. Irredeemable Fanboy

Irredeemable Fanboy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 27, 2020
    I understand it might have not been "smart" (as in, untrusting of the people that you are supposed to be working for), but it certainly made for awesome stories that helped to build up the hype leading up to the film, and even after the retcons one can appreciate how well connected all those stories were.

I much prefer the EU being active in the current era of Star Wars films, instead of shying away from it due to fear of contradictions, in fact Canon tried doing this, but we had cases like Ahsoka, a book about a supposedly cancelled TV show and it got contradicted anyway shortly after.

The Sequel Trilogy needed more EU, at least a mini-multimedia project showing the lead up from TLJ to TROS in those two years, now that we don't have Lucas' strange contradictory nature and IX wasn't a Filoni film it could have been pulled off really well.

It feels like a waste especially now since that era is basically done and nothing in the current EU is focusing on the ST, what was the point of waiting so much? To wait 10 more years until the TV shows reach TFA?

Last edited: May 6, 2023
    Xammer and darthosaka like this.
  19. HEDGESMFG

Nov 20, 2010

Minor nostalgic bump...

The revelation that Ashley Eckstein was indeed a bit hurt by the fandom's early reactions to Ashoka reminded me of this thread (since Lit was always going to be one of the places where fandom most heavily critiques story issues)...

Then I actually re-read a bunch of pages 30-60 here and found that you guys were... surprisingly civil about her as a whole. Guess most of my memories of fans being toxic on this forum 'were' in the TV threads themselves. (I can still name a few specific users who... were... definitely quite brutal.)

So... well... good job, guys? We spent many years arguing here in Lit, but I guess at least we weren't the ones making cast members cry. I'm weirdly proud of that.

Mind you, I met Ashley during the show's original run (since I was one of the early defenders around these parts), and there was a palpable shift in both per own popularity and people's perception of Ahsoka the character from 2014 onward once the general public could watch the show easily on Netflix. Season 5 in particular really led to a big shift and won over a lot of critics, though I remember the early signs of the core fandom growing in late 2010, when I saw the Nightsisters arc screening early.

QuinlanSolo and darthosaka like this.
  20. darthosaka

darthosaka Jedi Master star 1

Oct 25, 2012
    I always liked Ahsoka.

Noash_Retrac likes this.
  21. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    And to think, S5 nearly destroyed my love of SW because of Barriss Offee (I remember those days and shudder at how I acted immediately after that arc). Then I remembered, hello, too many things hinted at something else. Thus the #S5BarrissImposterTheory was born :) And it keeps me happy :D

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  22. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    Well if Barriss is a 100% absent from the upcoming Ahsoka series (including not even being mentioned) I think that may be the last shred of hope for her story getting finished. As it's been over a decade now since her TCW episodes aired.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2023
    Noash_Retrac likes this.
  23. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Also you can just ignore things. No need to have some wild conspiracy. Or theory. Just ignore it. It’s all made up nonsense for fun anyways. Take what you like and forget the rest.

TCW has never jived well with Legends. I have been rewatching TCW lately. And while I haven’t taken note of it in my reviews. I do get a kick out of being like “Ah this is where a bunch of people lost their minds cause Evan died at the wrong time” or any such example.

what I am glad I learned at a super young age was the George definitely did not care about anything that he wasn’t directly involved in.

anyway back to Barriss. I don’t think she’ll appear in Ahsoka. I feel like that would have been leaked or in the trailer.

I do think there is a possibility her story does get continued in TOTJ 2, but I am giving that a like 5% chance of happening. Chances are they have forgotten it. Then again they didn’t bring up the Zillo Beast clone for 13 years. So you never know.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2023
  24. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    True. Perhaps it was part of the Unfinished CW material.

25. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Maybe. But even then I don’t know where it would fit as we know basically all the remaining episodes general story outlines/ideas.

I think if they don’t plan on doing anything with her in some story or whatever where it would make sense have a throw away line about her being executed at some point. Which was the original idea anyways just to finally close that chapter. It’s the only left over thing from TCW that people really care about that we know nothing about other than what happened to Rotta the Hutt.