main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Clothes and Fashion in the Galaxy Far Far Away

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Gamiel, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    A. Were is he from?
    B. Why don't we have more people dressed like that in GFFA?

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    People never wear actual togae at toga parties anyway. Bunch of illiterate college savages wouldn't know a toga if it hit them in the face.

edit: Gamiel: The Sith Lords in GAoTS went around in pseudo-Egyptian garb.

TheRedBlade and kataja like this.
  3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I know that pseudo-Egyptian garb appeared in the Golden age of the Sith but my question was: Why don't we have more people dressed like that in GFFA?

4. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    According to Night at the Museum 2 he's from Ancient Egypt. I'm pretty sure they used mostly linen, feathers, wool, leather and metal in their fashion, though ;) Faraos mostly linen and metal.

That's a question I have to leave to wiser people than myself...

5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Gracias

6. THE EVIL CLIFFIE

THE EVIL CLIFFIE Jedi Master star 2

Jul 11, 2008
    Off-topic, but I always pictured the Noghri as being far more slight than that - they look like angry grey dwarves.

Also, where is everyone getting this wonderful artwork?

7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I can only talk about myself but I get it from wookipedia

8. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    It does look like a pajama party. Not only that, they are not wearing at all what they were described wearing in Betrayal (Luke should've been in black, and Jaina, Mara, and Zekk should've been in tan, not blue and white, plus Han should've been wearing his vest). But Threepio and Artoo look good, I guess, and the faces are drawn quite well (except Ben looks like FOTJ Ben when he should look like LOTF Ben, since this is LOTF...).

9. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003

The Essential Reader's Companion, my good man. It's essential!

Gorefiend and Ordo N-11 like this.
  10. Ordo N-11

Ordo N-11 Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 28, 2013
    Because of their role as speedy assassin/bodyguards, I always pictured them as thin and wiry. Most other pictures of Noghri have them much more slight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    holy crap, that guy on the right with the wookiee bandolier is wearing a t-shirt!

AusStig, kataja and Revanfan1 like this.
  12. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    No, he's wearing a Space T-Shirt. There's a difference.

13. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    He's also the only one who looks like a cosplayer. The other ones look pretty convincing.

14. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    Now I know next time I wear my tee from Hunter's House that it's a Space T-Shirt :D

15. AirNeeva

AirNeeva Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 20, 2012
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Were the hideous orange jumpsuits that the kids at the Academy had to wear some kind of mandatory goverment-issued uniform or what?

Barriss_Coffee and CeiranHarmony like this.
  16. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    They were cosplaying as X-wing pilots.

kataja, Gorefiend and Sarge like this.
  17. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    as I said before: The Age of the multifunctional Overall/Jumpsuit!
    Luke got them cheap somewhere donated for his Academy I bet... maybe cheap stock from Kamino that due to overproduction had lots of jumpsuits left after the cloning stopped after the clone wars. Just recolor them to non-clonekid colors and done!

kataja likes this.
  18. AirNeeva

Feb 20, 2012
    Seeing that the Solo's attained an upper-class lifestyle, I thought that maybe Leia dressed her kids up in really extravagent clothes.

But then again, they probably don't care what they they dress like, as long as it was comfortable, and maybe they did wear the extravagent outfits to parties and the like. And Luke probably demanded that they wear them (with some exceptions).

19. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    While I would like to see some new unique and special clothes for Solokids in the Sequels, the EU made a good point why Leia did not dress them up like dolls. For one Jaina hates dresses (and there must be a reason for that other than her rolemodels Mara and Han preferring practical clothing) and Jacen and her most often where in the field/nature where they needed robust and practical clothing because they either were hidden away from Imperial kidnappers in remote places, or exploring their various worlds and animal life. Tenel Ka, their hapan princess friend was dressed up as hapan doll.. which is why nobody recognised her in practical dathomiri gear when she went undercover to the Jedi Praxeum despite her as royality probably must have been in countless holomagcovers and all over the holonet maybe in royal gossip newsnets. Same probably for Jaina, Jacen and Anakin with paparazzi chasing them and their parents maybe if not chased away by Noghri, Winter, Chewie or scared off by C3PO.

Well, if journalism in EU is as obsessive as it can be in real life that is. We know so far a lot of samples of EU journalists and they are mostly decent, though Holonetnews and other examples we had sure also tended to have gossipstyled entries. Whereas extravagant clothing was a crucial part of the corrupt decay of the Old Republic elite, the New Republic grew out of the base of the people, with Smugglers, pilots, everyday folk in the Rebellion helping to build it. So their clothes and styles evolved from that and not just those of rich senators and decadent powerplayers. Those were among them too of course and later NR senators returned to a more luxurious style. But dominant in the New Republics conception was certainly a simplistic style of minimalism despite using some well placed ornaments in clothing. Compare it to Leia's ANH white gown, Mon Mothma's ROTJ clothing or the practical garnments of Garm Bel Iblis that are a mix of corellian uniform and stylish piece of clothes.

Valin__Kenobi, Ordo N-11 and Gamiel like this.
  20. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    I couldn't live in the GFFA. According to the X-Wing books and Corran Horn, shorts are typically frowned upon unless you live on Thyferra...

21. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    [​IMG]

I think Po Nudo here and consorts are a great example of fashion and style. Their robes are simple, but we got three to human eyes similiar looking alien heads with distinct clothes for each. If I am not mistaken even hairstyles for all three vary slightly. Especially the one to the left I like most, he looks cool and mysterious. They represent a great mix of designs and formal yet simplistic dresses with few ornaments or accessoirs aside the right one's being the most ornamented of them all. The middle even looks like an Aqualish version of a black suit despite not being a suit at all.

Gamiel likes this.
  22. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    [​IMG]

Pauan clothes have more diversity than I first thought! different shades of red and black, different styles alltogether if you look at the details. Even facial differences. And most awesome and maybe even badass those in the back with hoods/helmets on that resemble Red Guards and may be another inspiration aside Thyrsian Sungard, Mandalorians, Elite Stormtroopers, Senate Guard and others.

Ordo N-11 and Gamiel like this.
  23. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    The Pau'ans look very cool and intimidating. I remember at 9 years old I got the Tion Medon action figure from my uncle as a birthday present and because he came with a rifle I figured he'd have a big combat role in ROTS. I was disappointed he didn't, but I did use his cane as a sword! :p

24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Just wondering; why do think they are hideous?

25. AirNeeva

Feb 20, 2012
    How are they not hideous?

BTW, what type of shoes is Anakin wearing?