main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Come with me if you want to live: The Terminator Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth_Ignant, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Time to create a shared cinematic universe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    Ehh ... that's about the most I can muster.

Terminator, as a concept, should have only had one good movie in it in the first place. But Cameron being Cameron he was able to make enough changes to it and pulled in some CGI advances to give it something visually new (not just to the property but movies in general at the time) and was able to wring another pretty good movie out of it.

Frankly it's been tapped out for a while. I'm sure I'll eventually check this out, but it won't be in a movie theater.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Ha. I remember when The Matrix came out and they got to that backstory/sequence and folks were basically like "So, The Matrix is just a sequel to the Terminator films?".

I'd argue that T2 would be just as good of a film without the CG advancements of the T-1000 (the original story Cameron was going to use would have been an Arnold vs Arnold T-800 vs T-800 setup). It certainly didn't hurt the film, but the action sequences would have been largely the same and the core ruminations on the nature of humanity and the value of life would't have been affected at all.

But then, T2 is, in general, the most important film to me, so I'm biased in that regards. ;)

The concept itself is definitely not tapped out, though. It's just been poorly executed. TSCC really showed how much you could get out of the premise (and managed to do so despite having a pretty average pilot). And even Salvation was half of a decent movie with a lot of promise had it's series evolved as it should have and they managed to keep McG away from it (it's just that other half that ended up whiffing in confusion).

4. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    I spose you could say in its favour it does seem to know its a lighter less serious followup to the originals and delivers reasonably well on that premiss were as films since have been aiming for more but fallen well short IMHO.

Trailer looks a bit generic action to me as well as having a lot of recycling of ideas from the sequels its replacing. The dark liquid metal terminator reminds me of the end of Lucy.

[​IMG]

5. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Hard pass. Whomever is playing the new bad liquid metal menace, ugh. Ditto the girl that needs protecting.

I do salute Cameron for wanting to make an older female character a co-lead in an American action movie. We need more older characters here. So that’s a good thing.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  6. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    I love seeing Sarah Connor back as an action star. That got me super hyped.

I'm fine with the effects for the new bad guy. I've seen a lot of commentary that T2 looked better and I don't personally agree with that. I love T2 quite a lot and the effects hold up pretty well, but still, they had their glitchy moments that I notice now way more than I did back then (yeah, I rewatch the Terminator movies, I love them). I also really like the nano tech concept being incorporated into a modern Terminator.

I like the good terminator too. I like the actress and the idea of a more human terminator, though not what we saw in Salvation or Genysis, ugh, so I'm good with that. I'm also fine with protecting a non-Connor for whatever plot reason they come up with. The action there looked good to me.

BUT. I'm not down with the idea of a soft reboot that eliminates John Connor. If they are erasing John Connor's importance and giving us a totally new savior while making John Connor irrelevant, that kills it for me. Right now I'm hoping the rumors/speculation is wrong and John Connor is the surprise of the movie and he does show up. Maybe the woman is his future partner, or someone that helps a lot of innocent people escape, or maybe she's a hacker genius that he needs for *something something plot. Maybe he's busy as the events of the movie unfold because *something something plot, and then he shows up later to help. I would take any explanation that doesn't render T1 and T2 moot. That's not a story continuation I care about. That reminds me too much of Alien 3, which I don't accept in my head canon of the Alien universe.

In terms of the past Terminator sequels after T2, I feel pretty strongly that they're all bad. Salvation's Act III is unforgivable to me, though I was fine with it before that. T3 is awful, though I love the last five minutes. Genysis was fine enough but I'm glad they ditched that universe because I didn't care what happened next. The show was the best post-T2 content.

7. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    That was the most bland, regurgitated **** I've ever seen.

8. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    correct me If I am wrong but every Terminator movie since T2 Cameron basically had nothing to do with and he lost the rights to the franchise. Cameron recently bought back the rights too the franchise and Is very much involved with the story and script of this latest Terminator movie. I saw a Cameron Quote where he did not like the films that came after T2 and wants to make like those other non Cameron Terminator films don't exist and Dark Fate Is a direct sequel too Judgment Day Is all this correct? And If It Is correct this trailer has me intrigued!

@Sith_Sensei__Prime Cameron didn't direct Blade Runner that was Ridley Scott.

9. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Remember when Arnold simply walked in a normal pace and he was terrifying? Remember when Robert Patrick ran and your heart was in your throat? Remember physics?

10. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I remember... Pops.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  11. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony 16X Wacky Wed/12X Hangman Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
  12. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    You actually saw that one? You have sullied your brain.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Gabriel Luna, who played Ghost Rider on SHIELD (and the upcoming GR series). He's a pretty good actor- though none of his few scenes here (being CG action moments) really convey much. It'll be interesting to see if the next trailer focuses more of him to give us any glimpses into his portrayal, since the anger, pain and sadness that characterized his GR portrayal so well wouldn't likely be qualities he'd bring to the portrayal of a terminator.

14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    To be fair, Old T-800 here is basically Pops again, it seems. A lot of the trailer feels a bit like remixes from all of the sequels and even the show. Terminator who is human is T4 / SCC. Old Terminator is from Genisys. The liquid metal over metal endoskelleton is from T3 (the duplicate thing is a nice twist, though). the different timeline feels like SCC TV show. Sarah wrecking stuff is a highlight of the trailer, though. Also no Terminator music, shocking!

I hope we're in for a last minute John Connor save but the fact they need a New Humanity Saviour makes me think he might have died, young too. Hence the Dark Fate title. Although I wouldn't mind if Senator John Connor showed up and did some last minute Easy Money Computer Hacking.

15. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
  16. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Well, Robert Patrick did not emote much either, but you could feel the menace and robotic determination to complete the mission. He was so good at minimal body language. He truly felt like a Terminator.

The FX are doing everything in Gabriel’s case. Yes, this is a trailer, but if he cannot convince me of being a Terminator in the footage, no dice.

For me, The Terminator was a great done-in-one story. That said, I’ve seen some of the sequels including T2. In my personal head cannon this begins and ends with the original movie.

soitscometothis likes this.
  17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't disagree- I'm only suggesting that we haven't yet seen any scenes where even Robert Patrick-like qualities could be conveyed.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  18. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    True, but you want to at least throw the potential audience a bone.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  19. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I can't wait for the second trailer to spoil all the plot twists, as tradition decrees in this franchise.

20. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The Terminator films!

21. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    T2 could have still been a good movie even without the CGI (though I would have found Arnoldbot vs Arnoldbot lame) but not just as good as it was with them. It's not so much the action sequences (though those were impressive back then) but those effects made the T-1000 morphing from one identity to another conceptually convincing. And that element, particularly how it was used in the beginning of the movie, added a new layer on top of the unstoppable menace of the first. And changed the nature of how unstoppable it was. The first was near impossible to destroy. You could watch the second be destroyed, but would just reform.

Could they have done all that without the CGI. Probably not as convincingly.

22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Thing is, T2 came out during a time when practical effects were still the way to go when filming an action sequence. That's why it's aged so well, compared to the sequels. Can you imagine that nightmare sequence as CGI?

23. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Why is Skynet going with this liquid metal over Endoskeleton thing (T3 & sorta T5 but that wuz nanobots). Or it is just they realized "damn, it doesn't like fire". At least with this one they're literally having a two-fer effect it seems, it can split off into liquid and have the Endo be the backup. Bonus points if this one can actually turn into a pack of cigarettes or a bomb.

24. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I am wondering what happened to John Connor? Is this some kind of time travel thing or alternate dimension?

25. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Dead. He’d be as old as his future self now. But he isn’t there, so he must be dead.