main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Could "The Force Awakens" receive some backlash from fans after its release?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by SW Saga Fan, Sep 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015

And the blacklash to the blacklash to the blacklash. :p

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  2. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    I don't read any articles regarding TFA other than the "official" Vanity Fair stuff. What I can't understand is people who have some axe to grind against JJ Abrams, and I guess I'm in the minority thinking that Abrams has made some pretty good movies. I know the Internet is the home of polarizing opinions, but it's a certified guarantee that the hardcore Abrams haters have already composed their negative reviews.

3. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000

Oh, I think Abrams is a no-talent hack, but that doesn't mean I think even he can screw up Star Wars with the amount of talent behind him.
    Of course, if somehow he DOES manage to mess it up, I really may start grinding the axe.

4. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    I know there will definitely be some who will not like it though most of the ones that don't will be overshadowed by the people who shower the film with praise (not trying to imply the movie will be bad) just as the prequel fans were overshadowed by the people who hated them.

Of course, if I don't like the movie, I won't bash it every chance I get 16 years after release.

5. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    You know, I just thought of an interesting idea. As we know, there's been SO much talk about how TFA will not contain elements of the PT, it won't address things in the PT, it won't have as much CG as the PT, it will be better than the PT, blah blah blah...Well, I wonder how that idea will be treated after TFA has come out and the novelty of it has worn off and we're familiar with how the ST will "feel." It makes sense that it's being compared so closely right NOW, simply cos we don't know what to expect, and that was the last SW films to come out. But once we're solidly into the ST, and Episode VIII is well on the way and all that, I'd imagine this whole "comparison to the PT" thing (and possibly even the OT, for that matter) will be finally done with-and then there will be a whole NEW trilogy fans can give their attention to! (whether positive OR negative!)

The reason I'm mentioning this is that, if this is true, then that means there is actually an end in sight for all the prequel hate! Sure, there will still be those who have negative opinions on them, but it won't be the ONE thing that SW fans/critics have to compare the ST to anymore, and it won't be constantly subject to all the digs that are inserted in EVERY interview because celebrities/filmmakers/fans think it's cool still for some reason to bash a trilogy that finished coming out over 10 years ago! I'm pretty excited for the light at the end of that tunnel...

A little off the main topic I know, but still I thought this would be relevant in some way...

Pensivia and Skellybobs like this.
  6. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    Wasn't there a thread about this or to quote Han, "didn't we just leave this party?"

7. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    We've had similar threads in the Spoilers Allowed section, but I don't think there's already one too similar to this here in NSA.

8. SchrödingersFett

SchrödingersFett Jedi Knight

Oct 3, 2015
    I've been a fan for 20 years now, and through my experience I can tell you that the paradox of being a SW fan, is having to put up with SW fans.

9. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    Very similar to being an Alabama Crimson Tide fan.

SchrödingersFett likes this.
  10. SchrödingersFett

SchrödingersFett Jedi Knight

Oct 3, 2015

Roll Tide.

Vertical likes this.
  11. CowMoo

CowMoo Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2001
    ... I'm thinking how it would look in maybe 80 or 100 years from now when historians look back at an old series of 2-D films called "Star Wars". I suppose at that point, everything will be placed in its proper perspective.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  12. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    It's difficult to predict how they will be looked at in 80-100 years from now as movies as we know them have not been around that long. If you think about movies that are are shot in color and with sound, we don't even have 100 years of history to look back at (first "real" color films using Technicolor started in 1916-1917 but the first film with sound and color was 1935 Becky Sharp). Some of the interesting movies to look at are some of the early movies like Metropolis, or Aelita: Queen of Mars, and how some of their visions of the future have to be taken with plenty of salt and while really interesting films, not everyone enjoys them today.

It's worth noting that these early efforts usually did not do very well in terms of money. Another example is "The Wizard of Oz" which has actually gained popularity decades after the original release.

As for how the new trilogy will change the perceptions of the PT or OT. This is my Theory. If the ST is more cohesive (in terms of style and narrative), to the OT then maybe in 80-100 years people will only watch Episodes IV-IX and the PT will be some sort of back-story treatment that maybe movie-buffs of the era will debate about but the general public may not.

This will greatly depend on when Star Wars will "end". At present there are plans to keep churning Star Wars movies and other things for another 10-15 years and the big "IF", if it's a good trilogy.

Don't get me wrong, even with its cringe inducing moments, I still enjoy the PT. I just like the OT more.

13. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I glanced at Twitter and caught a glimpse of a trending topic or something with the words "The Force Awakens" and "backlash." I might have also seen the word "character" although I didn't see the name or any other words.

14. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I think this is what you were talking about. It's Boyega commenting on the bigots who had an issue with a black stormtrooper being in the film; nothing about the plot or quality of the movie or anything like that.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/10...-calls-racist-star-wars-backlash-unnecessary/

15. Bobatron

Sep 3, 2012
    ...and that's all I read of your reply. I averted my eyes from the Twitter post because I didn't want to read it, or read about it. I don't know Boyega's character or anything about him, it, whatever and don't want to know until December 18, 19, 20 or whenever I see the movie.

16. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I can tell you without spoilers.
    Boyega simply stuck it to racists who objected to his character being black, since apparently we can't have black people in Star Wars...

17. Bobatron

Sep 3, 2012
    I'm not reading that reply either.
    Yes, I know, I shouldn't even be looking at or posting in this forum.
    Jeez I can't wait until this movie comes out so I can stop dodging, at least for a while before everything ramps up for Episode VIII.

18. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I specifically said I could explain it without using spoilers - which I did.

Then again, you're probably not reading this post either.

EHT and DARTH_BELO like this.
  19. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    It's sad really. I was just at Disneyland, and the only 6" figure they had on the pegs was his, and lots of them. I see that everywhere, actually. It's 2015 - can't we have black protagonists yet?

Pensivia and TigerCraneFist like this.
  20. ChewieWe'reHome

ChewieWe'reHome Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 25, 2015
    I want to actually see a flat-out racist comment made about Boyega. I've yet to see any. All I've seen so far are people confused with the canon and thinking his race went against it (trying to speak as spoiler-free as possible). I'm sure there have been legitimately racist comments. It's just that when I don't see them as a majority (or at all), I become skeptical as to what the underlying goal of the controversy is. Makes me concerned that the fight against racism isn't about what it should be anymore. It's a fight that needs to be fought even to this day. But again, sometimes I just don't feel like it's being respected.

21. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Unfortunately, I have seen flat-out racist comments about him - people using the N-word and and other racist slurs.

22. ChewieWe'reHome

ChewieWe'reHome Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 25, 2015

Well that's just disgraceful.

23. CowMoo

CowMoo Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2001
    ... indeed. I've always had the hope that Star Wars fans were better than racial bigotry. Not to say that racial matters are always black and white, so to speak, but using the n-word is really beyond what is acceptable.

24. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
    I feel the same way about being a Genesis fan. (The Peter Gabriel ONLY fans are about as intolerable as the OT ONLY fans)

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  25. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I agree regarding the Genesis fan thing. I've always remarked how similar the fandom is divided when compared to SW. As an "all eras fan," I enjoy all of it. PG, PC, even RW. It's the same for me for Star Wars-Saga fan. The PG era fans are very similar to what we'd call "OT purists." agreed.

That is all.

Obi-John Kenobi likes this.
  26. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
    Yeah, it's uncanny in it's similarity. The PG era fans think that era was soooooo vastly superior and mock and belittle anyone who prefers the PC era. Replace PG era with OT era and and PC with PT and it's essentially the same thing.

For my part, I became a big Phil Collins fan when I was a kid, so his Genesis era is always going to be my favorite. But, slowly over time as I got older, I started tracing back through the catalog and discovered the PG era and the band's Prog roots. So in any event, the Genesis "pop" era was a great gateway for my appreciation of Prog. Some of the (brief) RW era stuff was good as well.

Sorry to digress, but it's cool talking about "all era" Genesis whenever I can.:D

DARTH_BELO likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.