main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Bad Batch Crosshair (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Mar 31, 2021.

?

What happened to crosshair?

1. He’s dead

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  2. Joined the empire

29 vote(s)
    93.5%
  1. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Cool theory and a safe bet to go the redemption route which is a repeated theme in the franchise. Crosshair seems like the most likely character to fall in the finale and really is the best with the kind of build-up to carry such an emotional end. It's really not possible to start killing characters off otherwise as much as people want to see it. It's too early to do something like kill-off Wrecker. There just isn't enough characters for that in the show. At this stage, I am sorry to say I would welcome a bridge to get dropped on Cid if that is what it takes to change things up a little.

I have seen another theory about Hunter going down and saving him at the end which is a common end for the Heroic Safe Mode trope but seems far less likely. Then Crosshair taking over command of The Bad Batch with vengeance on the menu. You know what they say about vengeance?

I had not considered the idea Crosshair could go back undercover with the Empire and feed them intel. That's an interesting one. Either way, I do think the story is heading toward Crosshair rejoining The Bad Batch even temporarily. Howzer may have been a vehicle to help Crosshair see light at the end of a long and dark tunnel. I wonder if he will dawn his old armor for a final stand.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
  2. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I think Crosshair might get redeemed this fiale either by killnig him or he gets similar like Kallus when he join the rebellion. I don't think he'll remain the villain character for season 2. I think bigger fish is coming by then, I think season 2 is perfect time to introduce Commander Cody into the picture as the main clone villain, we can have the rebel clones under Howzer and Cody is taked with taking down the teaitors after Crosshair failed in their eyes. I think like season 2 of Rebels and Mandalorian, this second season will give us plenty of clone wars characters now come back yet.

3. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    I think Hunter will finally decide they have to rescue their brother. They know now first hand what the chip does (Wrecker) and how it takes over, and they have means to remove it. Plus Omega giving her little speech about not abandoning family and then Howzer's speech about not abandoning his squad made Hunter think.

The only question is whether the rescue will end in success or failure.

4. Commander DuctTape

Commander DuctTape Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 4, 2021
    I really like the theory Todd posted. Crosshair has certainly been with the Empire for long enough for him to know how things work there and make a good double agent, although he'd risk being found out quick if he was ever taken to have his chip "boosted" again like he did before. Overall I'm pretty sure he'll not remain a villain for good, and I'd be surprised if they got rid of him already. He is one of the more developed and interesting characters.

Riv_Shiel and Seerow like this.
  5. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I wondered if Omega's attempt to fix Gonky only to find out the droid cannot be fixed according to Hunter is foreshadowing for Crosshair? I was actually surprised Omega immediately gave up when Hunter told her.

clone commander bossk likes this.
  6. Commander DuctTape

Apr 4, 2021
    .....so that theory that Crosshair is a double agent in the Empire is dead for certain. Oh well, was fun while it lasted!

But yeah... our boy does not have a whole lot of options left here. Since he cannot go back to the Empire as a result of him shooting his own team (...again), I'm guessing he's either going to join Hunter or die in one way or another. Although he might also be able to escape and strike out on his own, but that would go head-first against his "you are bred for more then aimlessly drifting across the galaxy" line.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
  7. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Actually, I'm not sure the soldier who was spying on them saw Crosshair kill the other troopers. It was only reported he lost control of the situation when the blaster fire started up. Crosshair is completely deranged and I'm not sure he's truly redeemable. Is he really going to tone it down and start using stun if he joins them? He's going to take a completely dim view when he finds out exactly what The Bad Batch is drifting around doing. And, Crosshair would probably be better at it than they are because he's got the ruthlessness to succeed. I think he's a liability for the squad rejoining them and there is always going to be the question he'll betray them.

That could add an interesting element. That's probably something Maul would prey on too. Obviously, they'll have to just deal with that if he sticks around because there is nowhere to just lock him up. I think Crosshair is probably going to die in the next episode and it really is going to mess them up, particularly Hunter.

8. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    My money is on Crosshair living, and his massacre of civilians will be conveniently forgotten. That's not what I want to see, but it's what I expect.

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  9. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I will point out Hunter and the gang doesn't know what Crosshair did when he went back to Onderon. The first people they've seen Imperial Crosshair murder with their own oculars are his own charges, the soldiers who were with him in the training room. I like how they reused the badass trick from "Unfinished Business" to brutal effect here.

I think the most disappointing thing they could do with Crosshair is to have Omega talk him out of everything.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
  10. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I do gotta say,
    that mirrored laser insta kill was super satisfying to watch.

11. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    That was cool and somehow more badass than last time on the battle droids. Cool touch when Tech notices them and elbows Wrecker.

12. Commander DuctTape

Apr 4, 2021
    If Crosshair ends up surviving I would be very surprised if the team did not drag him with himself. Not just because of their loyalty to each other, but because having a character with VERY different views on the galaxy in the main cast would add some much needed contrast and dynamic into the group... and this is something the writers themselves probably know too.

Alarinne likes this.
  13. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Certainly one of the problems with The Bad Batch is their group is way too stable and they all get along too perfectly. Or maybe I'm the one with something wrong with me. When I see Tech fallen asleep all innocently in a chair aboard the shuttle. My first thought is someone ought to get the whipped cream or a small bowl of warm water and prank his ass. But the Bad Batch doesn't spend any time on a slice of life character moments like that which is something I miss from Rebels. They could be like that off-screen.

If Crosshair rejoins. I think the reintroduction of the team jackass with mutual trust issues would bring some instability and conflict. Crosshair is absolutely going to raise an objection to Omega's, "But Hunter, we have to go help them!" Though he'll probably just end up close to her anyways. Crosshair should challenge all the characters but I worry about Tech, Wrecker, and Echo being shoved further into the background by competing for screentime with Crosshair if he rejoins the team. Everybody needs to get some focus episodes and a chance to shine.

It is interesting thinking back to, "Reunion" there could even be an agreement between Crosshair and Echo on that their purpose is to be soldiers rather than there being another choice. Echo made it clear before he does not like working for Cid. I LOL thinking how Cid treating Crosshair the way she does the rest of the Bad Batch except Omega may not end well.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2021
    Commander DuctTape likes this.
  14. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I do get the feeling Crosshair will be the one to kill Rampart

cwustudent likes this.
  15. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    It would make sense for Rampart to become a berserk button for Crosshair. But after the conversation where Rampart said to Lama Su he wasn't impressed with the clones I want Rex to end him more than Crosshair. I want him completely out foxes by an a not enhanced clone then he can be either killed or defeated and Tarkin will take care of him.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2021
  16. Darth Baga

Darth Baga Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 21, 2021
    To be fair, they saw him attempt to murder Kanan and Omega. Although it's unclear how much his inhibitor chip and Order 66 prompted these decisions. The Chip was described as being active but weak in the pilot before it was "enhanced" by the Kaminoans. The question is when did he have it removed?

I really hope the next episode elaborates on what level of agency he has had.

17. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    It seems like a foregone conclusion Hunter already knows Crosshair has done some evil stuff like what he's seen the rest of the Empire did. But, the rest of the squad can't get personally upset with Crosshair for massacring civilians when they didn't see it with their own eyes. Crosshair is going to have to admit to them what happened when he went back to Onderon. He may not.

It's not clear Crosshair is telling the truth about the removal of his inhibitor chip. Who would have done it? AZ is probably there for the audience to make an assumption on how. Crosshair still gets a headache before Hunter holds him up. Hunter goes and checks his head after stunning him like he doesn't entirely believe Crosshair.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
  18. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    To be fair most of the evil stuff Crosshair did was before he removed the chip

19. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    “We didn’t have a choice.”
    “And I did?”

That line, plus trying to send Omega away instead of any number of more terrible options kind of make me think hes not quite as incontrite as he lets on.

He’s also clearly not thinking straight because there no way his plan actually works out, like Rampart was going to let him get away with killing his new squad to replace them with his old squad who have already deserted once but trust me they’ll be loyal this time. Yeah, that wasn’t going to fly.

20. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    They weren’t following orders

21. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I think at the time when Tarkin originally sent Crosshair to kill the Bad Batch he didn't. There was a point when the inhibitor chip was working. As time went on Crosshair became free enough to make his own decision that he liked the way the Empire made his superiority complex which may have a little inferiority complex underneath feel. The power and respect. It deranged him into who we see now one way or the other. He's just not right upstairs.

Crosshair spared Omega initially but wouldn't have given a crap about where a ship took her off-world. The most humanity he has left is what he feels toward the brothers he missed desperately. To the point of making a desperate play to get them to join him. If Crosshair survives and rejoins the squad his arc should be about finding the rest of his humanity again.

DannyD likes this.
  22. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Would Crosshair have ordered the killing of those civilians? Even without the chip? I would say yes

23. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Honestly, I rewatch The Bad Batched arc in TCW and it has made up my mind that Crosshair's starting place is he's just a jerkass troll and not a murderous sociopath. He was all talk. Remember when Crosshair gave Rex **** for leaving Echo behind and Rex beat his ass? Crosshair completely contradicts and subverts himself by giving his old squad a chance to join him, stand by his side serving the Empire. I think the chip did activate to an extent including when he murdered civilians early on. But now he chooses to do it because he like how working to the Empire lets him feel in charge, superior, and puts him in a position where he can command a soldier who is not Regs. That's the face he always put on anyways. But he just didn't start out as a sociopath like that which has ruined him psychologically. Chip or not he crossed that bridge and can't go back.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
  24. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    So, Crosshair is back and he is even more awesome and merciless than before. What I especially like about this character - he is both vulnerable man with doubts and unstoppable living machine of death, organic Terminator with sinister music theme.

InterestingLurker likes this.
  25. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    I really hope that Dave Filoni continues to develop Crosshairs's characterisation in the manner he is currently doing and not give us a fairyfloss fairy-tale ending where Crosshairs returns to the group with his tail between his legs muttering "you were right all along". Please don't give us that Dave and so far, I'm delighted at what you are doing with Crosshairs.

For me, a good character develops afterward based upon what they experience at a given time in the story; whether that fits with their previous characterisation or not. Characters should not be static entities, they evolve, grow and change. Twice he has rejected his fellow brothers, so I hope he is not asked a third time. He's with the Empire for now, but there are also potential rumblings happening there too and there stands a possibility that he may kill Rampart; thus a parting in ways between him and the Empire.

So based on what he is currently experiencing at the moment with this lack of respect towards him, maybe Dave, a post-Empire future for Crosshairs could be one of a bounty hunter. He already has the best name for one and has the skills and ingenuity, so why not make him one Dave.

But please never look backward with Crosshairs's characterisation Dave as you have a really memorable character. Don't let him stagnate like Hunter is at the moment and always look forward to bigger things for Crosshairs and continue to grow him like you are currently doing Dave.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2023
    InterestingLurker likes this.