main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Crossover Writers Support Group

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Theodore Hawkwood, May 18, 2017.

1. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    A Contact/Star Wars crossover would be fun to write.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vek Talis and Ewok Poet like this.
  2. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Sith-I-5 brought it up but I've read a ton of good NCIS and Stargate crossovers and I've never even watched Stargate. (Also a lot of NCIS and The Sentinel crossovers). But I've also seen a lot of people say that Tony Dinozzo (from NCIS) is like the little black dress of fandom, you can manage to get him into about anything and make it work.

So yeah, I do think you can take wildly different fandoms and make them work together, but I do think it's best to find a reason for them to cross together if you are doing a full cross (both fandoms really represented). I think it's a bit harder with SW because it doesn't exist in our universe whereas Star Trek, Stargate, etc. all are a part of our universe (though maybe in a different time) which makes it easier to take fandoms from shows that exist in our universe and put them in it. Unless of course you just pick up a character or two and throw them into another place, that can be fun sometimes.

Sith-I-5 and Vek Talis like this.
  3. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    I don't think they are as common, but I think they can work, especially if it is just shifting characters from one world to another. Stargate seems like an easy fandom to crossover - all they have to do is walk through the stargate and they can end up anywhere you want, no further explanation needed. :) I guess that might be one of the more difficult parts of cross-genre crossover - explaining why the worlds are colliding. And then showing realistic reactions to such a thing. The cast of Stargate is unlikely to be surprised by anything, but if a wookiee shows up on the set of NCIS, there are going to be some questions.

I hope it is ok to share a link - this is just an AU, not a Sherlock Holmes crossover, but your question reminded me of this fanart.

This just made me think of something, a really minor point - Star Trek (and maybe Star Wars too) does, in fact, exist within the Stargate universe. As in, characters in the Stargate universe have made reference to Star Trek movies. So I guess there are two approaches if you wanted to crossover Stargate and Star Trek - either the Stargate characters recognize the Star Trek characters - oh my gosh, I can't believe Spock really exists! - or the author just ignores all previous references to Star Trek. (I think I would generally be inclined toward the second, but it would lead to a slight inconsistency.)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    Vek Talis likes this.
  4. Vek Talis

Vek Talis Jedi Master star 3

Oct 12, 2018
    Lol, as in, what the hell is a walking carpet doing on our show?

Great answers, and great fanart pic. :)

As I am a huge fan of crossovers, it's great to hear these different opinions.

As to how they get to each other's 'verses, it helps to have an evil genius around to cook up something that totally backfires and ends up moving an entire galaxy (or specific parts of one) into the GFFA, or vice versa. [face_devil]

I've just never been a big NCIS (or any cop show, with the exception of the X-Files) fan, but it seems like it is popular for crossovers, too.

So, can you get a character in another 'verse completely wrong and still have the story be enjoyable? Or, even, what if, for instance, you take this NCIS character you speak of an send him to the GFFA and he can't mentally handle it and goes all Sith, is that reasonable? Do you (generic you, for purposes of discussion) like the characters to be portrayed perfectly, or are there ways around taking a characterization and throwing it completely out?

5. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    Someone wrote an epic NCIS/TCW crossover once.

mavjade and Vek Talis like this.
  6. Vek Talis

Oct 12, 2018
    I was recommended to ask if there's anyone who might like to help me brainstorm for a crossover? Not in posts here, of course, but I hope it's not out of line to ask here? Someone who knows Star Wars (Obviously, lol), but also Mass Effect (video game series), Firefly (tv show) and Babylon 5 (tv show & made for tv movies). If anyone reading this is familiar with those and is willing to help me bounce around ideas, please send me a private message.

If this isn't cool to ask here, moderators, please let me know where I can.

Thanks

Findswoman likes this.
  7. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Because Sherlock in the books was specified, for SG-1, I think you would be limited to the locations of stargates on Earth, so Holmes and Watson would have to be on a mission to the far flung reaches of the British Empire for them to meet.

Whichever Stargate series had the time ship, would have more opportunities, and would have little trouble reaching London.

I like the LBD (little black dress) analogy for Tony DiNozzo, however it would require being able to write his character.

Any character that you know well enough, can probably fit almost anywhere.

@mavjade - awesome to learn that are lots of NCIS / SG fics out there.

mavjade and Vek Talis like this.
  8. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    My opinion on crossovers is that generally you have to keep at least the basics of the character the same. Sure, going to a different planet/galaxy/having different experiences is going to affect them in a way you've not seen from their show/book/movie, but fundamentally they need to be the same.

The specific character I was mentioning (Tony from NCIS) that would be waaaay OOC for him to go Sith, he's a good guy through and through, a Federal Agent who left a previous department because his partner was dirty, who cut his dad out of his life for a long time because he was a con-man. (I almost stopped reading a story one time where he was the bad guy, thankfully I didn't because he really wasn't and it was really good.) He's the type of character who basically rolls with the punches (sometimes literally) and I think could handle knowing there were other galaxies and aliens out there. So for that character, that would be so OOC I wouldn't see Tony any more, which would be not a good crossover to me. That would be an example of you'd have to fundamentally change the character to make it work, which for the most part defeats making a crossover. I'm not saying it can't be done, but in general crossovers are done because you want your favorite characters to meet, or you want them to experience a different style of life, etc. So to change them so fundamentally they might as well be an OC.

That's perfectly fine! You can ask in this thread, and people can answer, so long as the planning happens via PM. You could even ask a question or two in this thread if you wanted to get a possible wider audience.

I co-wrote a SW/Firefly crossover a long time ago and I have some familiarity with the first few seasons of Babylon 5. (We've not finished watching it yet.) So I'm happy to help with those. I only know of Mass Effect's existence.

It's kinda funny these two came up, an idea for NCIS that's been in my head for a few weeks is kinda a NCIS/Babylon 5 story. It mostly takes inspiration from B5, but I think enough that I'd kinda call it a crossover.

Yeah, there are quite a few on AO3. Looking now there are 222 SG-1 and 67 SG-Atlantis stories. Like I said, I tend to enjoy them even though I've never watched Stargate. I need to, I think I'd really like it... and probably understand the crossovers better!

Vek Talis likes this.
  9. Vek Talis

Oct 12, 2018
    B5 is fantastic. Glad to see someone else diving into that universe.

Well, the brainstorm bouncing idea I most want an opinion on has more to do with Firefly and Mass Effect: In the games, the Reapers (sentient machines that return from dark space every 50,000 years to destroy all advanced organic life) use shock troops. Basically they indoctrinate people and use them as ground troops on planets. Kind of like hypnotizing your own mother to fight against you, it gives the enemy (the Reaper's enemy) pause before pulling the trigger. So, I wondered about shock troops the 'good guys' could use. The Reavers. Use the Reapers' methods of indoctrination to guide the Reavers to the 'right' targets and you'd have an impressive counter strike force that would drive the Reapers nuts.

And, for those who know Mass Effect, it's all the Illusive Man's fault. :p It's his plan that causes all the different dimensions to come crashing together in the GFFA. So, I already have a good concept for bringing it all together, at least I think so, just wondering if the above idea works. It would add some tension because the Jedi believe everyone can be saved, but Captain Tight Pants knows you can't save the Reavers, so why not use 'em as a 'kindness'.

10. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    I want to write a Laika films/Nightmare Before Christmas/Sandman/American Gods crossover at some point.

Vek Talis likes this.
  11. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    @Vek Talis, I know Star Wars and Babylon 5 pretty well. I love(d) the show. My Firefly knowledge is cursory and Mass Effect, big goose egg. So if you want to bounce B5 ideas, I would be happy top help.

Vek Talis likes this.
  12. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Regarding Stargate/Sherlock Homes, I can think of some ways to make it work:

* the stargate create a gate to an other reality where it's the later 19th-century and Sherlock Holmes is a real person (possibly with other literal characters).

* a goa'uld (or similar) have a thing for 19th-century European literature and have shaped one of its world (or parts of it) to resemble 19th-century Europe (or rather it's idea of it) with people trained/programed to act like the goa'uld favourite figures (and possibly also believe they are them) and one of those figures is Sherlock Holmes.

* Sherlock is a historical character in the SG-'verse and some kind of timetravel stuff has the SG:1 dumped in history where they run into him or he is thrown into the future and run into them.

* Sherlock is a historical character in the SG-'verse and was taken by one of its many aliens who either prolonged his life or put him on crysleep. And now the SG:1 team have found him

Sith-I-5 and Vek Talis like this.
  13. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    I personally think that when assets or people have "mysteriously disappeared", especially when barely mentioned in backstory, that is an easy way to include the more fantastical genres without any science, technobabble, or logic getting in the way.

On the face of it, not an easy way to mix Babylon 5 and Star Wars.

However, I know that we are on B5 because something happened to the first four Babylon stations, including one that "mysteriously vanished".

That gives us complete freedom to mysteriously bring it back, along with whatever characters, from whichever genre were onboard, investigating or living on it.

You could even have a pre-space civilization, like Lord of the Rings, as B4(?) could have materialised on a planet and just taken for a fancy fort, or somewhere to get out of the rain.

mavjade , Nehru_Amidala and Vek Talis like this.
  14. Sean C Holmes

Sean C Holmes Jedi Padawan

May 20, 2021
    Your idea of a Luke Skywalker and Star Trek Deep Space Nine crossover seems unlikely since one story starts in the distant future.

Nehru_Amidala likes this.
  15. Sean C Holmes

Sean C Holmes Jedi Padawan

May 20, 2021
    My ideal crossover is Starwars, Starfighter, and Battlestar Galactica. All properties I mentioned have the potential for epic spaceship battles and space exploration. All three of my ideal crossovers began between the late 1970s and early 1980s. Galactica's unique quality is the story about thinking robots with fascist views, Starwars's unique quality is the force, and Star-Fighter's unique quality is about special spaceships.

Nehru_Amidala likes this.
  16. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    Maybe, but it could be fun to write. I mix past and present in two of my stories.