main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Ctrl+Alt+Kill The Artificial Intelligence Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Punk , Feb 21, 2015.

1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I knew there had to be some cynical reason for it.

Yeah, even the more optimistic futurists see any upload as basically just a duplication, meaning the original would still be around (so you'd either have two, or you'd be agreeing to kill yourself so you duplicate wouldn't be worried with the ethics of it).

2. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Okay, wait. How is transhumanism an "exciting" outcome? This is reason enough for me to run through these facilities with high-powered magnets.

3. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    ChatGPT is already wreaking havoc in my workplace.

4. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
  5. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Once having been a strict reductionist, I have seen enough emerging evidence of the possible quantum aspects of consciousness to no longer rigidly believe that our minds are simply an epi-phenomenon as a result of the electrico-chemical impulses of our brains. A lot more work has to be done, but there is credible evidence now that consciousness persists at least several minutes after death, which directly contradicts the idea that our minds simply emerge from matter.

Aw come on, don’t you want to be a Cylon?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2023
  6. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Colons are honorable because they are not human. Putting people in robot bodies is abominable.

7. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    At the massive 'modernization project' at work, when the crunch came down the first thing to get jettisoned was the Chatbot.
    I presume this is your prudish way of referring to people having robot sex

8. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    What type of colons are we talking about here?

9. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I'd like to see some of this evidence. I will dismiss the part about "consciousness persists at least several minutes after death" as people have been revived hours after what is called brain death, which means I means of establishing said death need some work.

10. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Not sure, I understand what you’re asking. To clarify my points:

If consciousness is purely an epi-phenomenon, both thought and the ability to form memories should cease upon cessation of life processes. Cognitive processing and forming memories are the most metabolically expensive activities in which the brain engages; once the heart stops and blood pressure falls to zero, the brain removes all remaining oxygen from blood still in the vessels within the cranium within a maximum of five seconds. Neurons begin to dysfunction immediately. They do not die, but they begin to. Yet somewhere around 12 million people in the world over have reported conscious experiences following cardiac arrest. This certainly is not evidence in the classical sense, but it does raise questions and should be investigated.

In regards to people being revived “hours after brain death”, I think we may mean different things here. Brain death is a state in which there is no detectable activity on an electroencephalogram, and requires two physicians to make a final pronunciation. People have been revived after several hours after clinical death, which is the absence of all vital signs, but this usually only occurs under extraordinary circumstances that involve a substantial lowering of body temperature. Not sure that I agree with your claim about “brain death” being reversible after several hours.

In regards to evidence, I am referring mostly to the work of Dr. Sam Parnia, an ICU physician in New York City who has spent years studying the phenomenon of experiences surrounding patients who’ve suffered cardiac arrest. While I doubt it would satisfy what you’re looking for, the fact that a human being can think and perceive in the absence of detectable life processes using our current technology is provocative and raises serious questions about pure epiphenominalism. That being said, I am in no way pointing towards a supernatural explanation, merely stating that our knowledge is incomplete, and that consciousness may be more complex than just the electrochemical processes within and between the brain’s neurons.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2023
    VadersLaMent likes this.
  11. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    Robinson. He’s an energy vampire you see.

blackmyron likes this.
  12. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Donald Trump supporters have been creating and sharing AI-generated fake images of black voters to encourage African Americans to vote Republican.

BBC Panorama discovered dozens of deepfakes portraying black people as supporting the former president.

Mr Trump has openly courted black voters, who were key to Joe Biden's election win in 2020.

But there's no evidence directly linking these images to Mr Trump's campaign.

The co-founder of Black Voters Matter, a group which encourages black people to vote, said the manipulated images were pushing a "strategic narrative" designed to show Mr Trump as popular in the black community.

A creator of one of the images told the BBC: "I'm not claiming it's accurate."

SOURCE: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-68440150

13. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Ah yes Donald Trump famous friend to black America.

14. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I mean there's just gonna be loads more of this .