main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith #19-25: Fortress Vader (7/7 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I have a solid theory as to why the portal worked for Momin, but not Vader.

TK-421 Is vader and kalzeth like this.
  2. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    This was a solid issue and a powerful ending to the best series of Star Wars from Marvel. Bar none, these 25 issues rock.

tatooinesandworm, kalzeth and spicer like this.
  3. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Do tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Son of a Bith likes this.
  4. JorakUln

JorakUln Jedi Grand Master star 1

May 23, 2005
    The biggest twist of the knife in this issue is that Vader's experience ends with him believing Padme died hating him, having no idea that in her last breaths even after everything he did to her she still believed there was good in him.

5. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    So i have read and many toughts on this, it was a good read and ideas that can go into other stories in the canon media. Give soule a Sidious comic pls lets get inside the masters head.

BigAl6ft6, Mostlymad and kalzeth like this.
  6. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Actually, we've the answer why it worked for Momin, he says why;

[​IMG]

''You think the Dark Side serves you. Obeys your every childish whim.''

[​IMG]

''The Dark Side doesn't serve us. We serve the dark side.''

[​IMG]

''I did not. All things are possible through the Force. What you desire awaits you on the other side. But you will never pass through. The Dark Side would never allow it.''

According to Momin, the Dark Side wouldn't give what Vader wants, because he thinks the DS obeys his every childish whim.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
  7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    His speech seems like a dark mirror of Luke's speech at the end of The Unifying Force in Legends:

"The Force has a will, and it's when we go against that will that we get into trouble."

8. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    No Sith worth the title of Darth believes this. Momin was an liar from the start. The Sith focus on themselves, to the point that they can bend the Force to their will. The Will of the Force is nothing compared to the will of the self. The Sith believe that it is their will that matters, not that of the Force.

Vader couldn't bring Padme back because it wasn't possible. No Sith can reach beyond the veil of death and recall a deceased individual to life. What Momin did was use the Mustafar Force Locus to reach into the World Beyond Worlds to the past and save his past self at the moment of death. If Vader had tried to reach back to the Mustafar landing platform and retrieve the still-living Padme, he would have succeeded. The reason Vader fails is because of his ignorance of the true nature of the Force Locus's portal and his arrogance in believing that he can actually revive the dead.

Momin's prattle about the Will of the Dark Side was pure nonsense. If the Dark Side did have a will and loved him as he claimed, then he would have triumphed over Vader.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    What isn't obvious in this final arc is that Momin played Vader from the start. His whole plan was to use Vader's resources and drive to build the Fortress and then use it to revive himself. After which point he planned to kill Vader.

The numerous failures with the initial fortress designs were to sift through the various host bodies until he found one that could use the Force and open the door. Momin told the truth in the same was that Sidious told Anakin the truth.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
    BigAl6ft6 and ManWithoutAStar like this.
  9. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    Great catch!

"The Dark Side would never allow it."

It fits with my theory that the dark side tricked Vader into thinking he entered the portal, to crush his last remaining hopes he can bring Padme back.

10. lovethedarkside

lovethedarkside Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 10, 2017
    With all the talk about the comic "confirming" Anakin's father, I thought I'd ask a question that has always baffled me. Why do fans insist that the Force created Anakin? Where is that stated in Canon?

I always intrepreted the Opera scene as Sidious declaring he had created Anakin. I'm trying to understand why others think it was "The Force." I'm assuming it's because that was Qui Gon's belief, but Yoda later confirmed that interpretation might have been misread.

11. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Not in canon, but Darth Plagueis all but stated it. Considering ROTS can imply either Plagueis or Palpatine created him, or neither, it remains open.

12. TK-421 Is vader

TK-421 Is vader Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2015
    Woah, this arc was amazing. I'm inclined to think Momin, my new sith no.4 is right about the dark side. He does serve it and it does love him. Sideous and the rest of his kind all died and came back as nothing more then spirits, never in a form such as Momin achieved.

The problem was the light side loved the chosen one more.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  13. unlimitedpower

unlimitedpower Jedi Master star 3

Nov 11, 2014
    This is far from certain. With Momin and Ahsoka, they are sort of pre-ordained to be yanked out from their previous situations, i.e. they "disappeared". Not so with Padme, there will be a paradox. The writers seems to be aiming for something like Harry Potter time turners so you can't really change the past. So Momin and Ahsoka are always destined to be transported through WBW, but Padme is always destined to die. This also fits with the notion of the Will of the Force or of the Dark Side.

Or Momin was simply wrong about what that will is. I mean he was being somewhat hypocritical and vain in the end.

I have already commented before that if this is true then Momin's plan is entirely of chance since there is no way he can ensure that he can find the right host before Vader gets fed up with his failure which Vader nearly did.

Slater, BigAl6ft6 and FS26 like this.
  14. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I don't know why people act as if Vader was completely clueless towards Momin's ambitions. Vader shows a lot of distrust towards Momin right from the get-go (like when he doubts Momin's claim that you can bring people back from the dead) and later tells Momin not to do anything stupid - which of course, Momin did.

As to why Momin could return from the dead and Padmé wouldn't? IMO the text answers that as well: Padmé's spirit doesn't want to follow Vader, simply as that. He's able to contact her, but she rejects him and Vader can't force her to come with him. Momin's younger self on the other hand doesn't feel that kind of conflict.

15. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    Also, I don't think it's a case of Momin actually returning from the dead; doesn't Current Momin just reach in and call Young Momin through before his supposed death during the city destruction? Like Ezra saving Ahsoka from death on Malachor, rather than any sort of post-death resurrection. Padmé's dead and gone already; Momin wasn't.

16. unlimitedpower

Nov 11, 2014
    This is my view. There is room for ambiguity especially since it's not actually confirmed that what's in the comic is Rebels' WBW. There are both differences and similarities. But for now I think this is the simplest explanation.

17. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    Yes, but if Vader reached back to the landing platform on Mustafar and pulled the living Padme out of the past and into the present, then Padme wouldn't be dead.

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  18. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    Sure, but that hasn't happened, so it never will. Momin didn't change history by plucking himself out of time, in the same way Ezra didn't change history by saving Ahsoka on Malachor; the idea is neither of them ever died, because they were always saved. We've seen Padmé die, so that's a fixed point in time, if you like.

Slater, OrganicMeatbag and revan772 like this.
  19. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    I don't believe in this interpretation of the World Between Worlds. The rules that govern this place have never been properly explained.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  20. unlimitedpower

Nov 11, 2014
    Right now this interpretation has a stronger basis than yours based on what we have seen so far. Besides, if you can indeed pull Padme out of the past and into the present then you need to resolve time paradox issues. For starters, Luke and Leia wouldn't be born on their supposed point in time. It will open a whole can of worms that I'm sure the writers and tptb don't want unless they're going to turn the Star Wars franchise into something like Doctor Who.

21. Fallen Jedi Master

Fallen Jedi Master Jedi Master star 4

Apr 13, 2017
    Awsome comic series and people say New Canon sucks. This was amazing and awsome conclusion for a awsome series.

Can't wait for the future of star wars comics.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

chrcharcor2 and Sinrebirth like this.
  22. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Making Star Wars posted a really odd article on the final issue that I'm not sure how to take. They seem to think that the idea of Palpatine creating Anakin from the Force is this obscure little tidbit that no one in fandom is aware of, rather than one of the most debated plot threads of a Star Wars movie of the last 14 years. I think it says more about MSW's view of the fandom than anything.

DelRiego, kalzeth, BigAl6ft6 and 3 others like this.
  23. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    I disagree and it is specifically because of Rebels that I disagree. Ezra was given a choice to save Kanan. Ahsoka encouraged him to consider the impact of undoing Kanan's sacrifice. This would have introduced a time paradox, because if Ezra saved Kanan, then they all could have died in the explosion as there was no one there to push the Ghosts out of the way with the Force. However, Ahsoka didn't say that Ezra COULDN'T do it. Just that it wasn't a smart decision.

Then, Ahsoka said she needed to go back, with the other option being that she could have stepped out somewhere else, like we saw with Momin.

kalzeth and Vialco like this.
  24. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    That was also a ploy by Sidious to gain access to the world.

25. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    No it wasn't.

"There’s a willingness to surrender in the hero stories of Star Wars that leave our favorite characters vulnerable before they pass the next test in their development. For Luke, it was to reject the fight with his father and for Rey it was to confront the truth about her parents while facing Ben and Snoke. For Ezra, his parents are central to this moment, as well. As Darth Sidious takes the guise of kindly old Chancellor Palpatine, he shows Ezra a pathway to stay with his parents, undoing all of the good he’s brought the galaxy for selfish motives of attachment.

Like Luke and Rey, Ezra rejects this offer from the dark side, proving that only by staying true to oneself and remaining selfless to save others can a true victory be brought to the galaxy."

The Star Wars website itself states that the portal on the Chimaera would have let Ezra go back in time and change the course of events.

"However, once Ezra discovers her here, he instinctively reaches through the portal to save her from Vader’s killing stroke.

Later, Anakin’s former Padawan returns to the portal to Malachor with a sense of renewal, promising to come and find Ezra. Through the Force, the possibilities truly are endless.

But first, in a particularly tense moment, Ezra faces perhaps his greatest temptation when he witnesses the imminent death of his mentor and dear friend, Kanan Jarrus. With a heavy heart, he listens to the advice of Ahsoka and lets go, honoring Kanan’s sacrifice. His choice here may help explain why Ezra has access to this Jedi Temple. He may not always like the way things happen, but he will not attempt to interfere with the ways of the Force."

Both these quotes come from the official Star Wars website, and they make it very clear that it's possible to use the World Between Worlds to change the past. We've just never really seen it happen because nobody really tries to. The one time Ezra goes to do it, Ahsoka points out that he literally can't. Not unless he wants all his friends in that moment, including himself to be incinerated.