main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series Darth Vader in Kenobi Series

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by RX_Sith, Jul 18, 2020.

1. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    "Now your Highness, we will discuss the location of your hidden rebel base".

"Apology accepted, Captain Needa".

Last edited: Aug 20, 2022
  2. Lord-Skywalker

Lord-Skywalker Hangman Host/18X Wacky Wed Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Jul 8, 2002
  3. Cos Palpatine

Cos Palpatine Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2022
    I'll go with a line from each film.

"I have you now!"

"No, I am your father."

And you know he has a **** eating grin the whole time he's saying this:

Lord-Skywalker likes this.
  4. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    Technically Vader shouldn’t say “I am your father,” as he said in series, Anakin is dead, Vader is all that remains. Anakin begot Luke, so Vader shouldn’t claim him as a son. :p

Remember Palpatine says “I have no doubt this boy is the offspring of Anakim Skywalker.” Not Vader. If Anakin is really dead like Vader said, he cannot claim his son. :p

5. Cos Palpatine

Apr 5, 2022
    Ahhhh...I see what you're doing; referencing that Vader line from our most recent streaming series :p

And you're right from a certain point of view that he shouldn't say "I am your father," but he does, and then compounds the matter by going on to ask Luke to join him so that they can rule the galaxy as father and son. This bit of confessional dialogue has always intrigued me even before special editions and prequels and Obi-Wan Kenobi Limited Series reframed things. He's clearly identifying himself as Luke's father; and by implication admitting to be Anakin. (Although if you remove the PT from this equation and whatever is the most recent Emperor hologram convo from an updated ESB, we don't first hear the name Anakin until Luke says it in ROTJ) This could also mean he's been hiding the fact that he's not 100% Vader and committed to the cause from the Emperor even at that point and seems to have aspirations of his own, which coheres with what he tells Padme at the end of ROTS about them ruling together. It's a very Sith oriented mindset, but it also kind of back-handedly foreshadows the fact that there's still good in him.

I only remember the dialogue from the original 1980 version. Have you seen my avatar? Lol. In my head canon things end with ESB; everything after that is just for fun for me ;)

True, but he could also just be claiming him as a son to mess with Luke. The best lies have some truth in them, or something like that.

Mostly Handless and Kato Sai like this.
  6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I hope I don't spoil Return of the Jedi for you but Anakin kinda starts to make a comeback from within the Vader persona when he learns he has a son.

7. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    I was just having some fun. :)

Vader says Anakin is dead, but he’s not. The knowledge of Luke make Anakin reborn. I wonder if Palpatine was testing Vader? To see if this news would bring back Anakin and that is why in ROTJ Palyps wants a new apprentice, Luke, because he sees Vader can’t purge Anakin.

Granted with Luke its little better, he has same emotional pitfalls and mood swings of his father. :p

8. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    "As you wish."

Kato Sai and Lord-Skywalker like this.
  9. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Oh my stars.. I just realized:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lord Vader is Weasley from Princess Bride! :eek:

KyleKartan and Count Yubnub like this.
  10. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
  11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    It'll be interesting if they show specifically when Hayden was behind the costume. Something like Vader going "You were warned what defeat would bring" and Vader throwing out his arm to choke Reva makes me think that was Christensen.

wobbits, Mostly Handless and Kato Sai like this.
  12. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Wasn't it great to see HC really enjoying the experience in playing Anakin again and this time getting to play Vader?

13. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    It was indeed. It was intriguing Vader used a lesson from his duel as Padawan Learner to defeat Reva.

14. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Looks like Kenobi may be the last time James L Jones voices Vader. Presumably its all gone be done AI now.

15. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018

Future Darth Vader appearances will No longer have James Earl Jones.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2022
  16. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Going by the article posted above, The Rise of Skywalker was actually the last time James Earl Jones voiced Vader. His voice in Obi-Wan Kenobi was synthesized with Respeecher, with the blessing and guidance of Jones.

17. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Seems weird that they credited JLJ as for voice of Vader for Kenobi then. I guess they just wanted the credit there. I wonder if he is gonna get a credit every time Vaders voice is used?

18. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    As it says above, "Jones is credited for guiding the performance on Obi-Wan Kenobi".
    The same thing is true for Mark Hamill in The Mandalorian and The Book of Boba Fett. He's not actually in any of the shots, and didn't do the voice, but he helped guide both the physical and (to an extent) vocal performances, so he's credited.
    So with Vader, it's a voice literally built off of old recordings of JEJ, so it's in a way still his voice. From a certain point of view.

19. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    And, also, it is still his voice and his acting. Whether it is cobbled together from bits of archival recording doesn't change the fact that it is the voice and inflections and intonations of James Earl Jones.

wobbits and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  20. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Well, yes and no. It's not "cobbled together bits" as such, it's taking his voice and inflections and interpreting those for completely new words using AI technology, as well as "synthetic speech artists" who somehow do... something? But yes, it's all based on his voice and his acting, so crediting him is logical. Crediting him as the actual actor though? Maybe?
    It's a murky situation, but Lucasfilm seem to have decided on crediting the original actors (JEJ and MH) in these instances, and that does seem like the most ethical way to go about it.

21. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    I see it as not at all dissimilar to how Ed Wood took a bunch of scraps of existing footage of Bela Lugosi and cut and pasted them together for Lugosi's final "performance", years after his death. It's a bit of necromancy that requires editorial skill and tools to accomplish but the actor still provided the existing bits to stitch together the Frankenstein's Monster of a performance.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  22. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    There's definitely less of a moral quandary when the living actor is still around and signs off on it. The results were impressive. Most impressive.

Pretty crazy because there's like genuine emotional inflection in Vader's lines. Like "I am what you made me." And the full on ticked off "You were warned what defeat would bring!"

23. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    I suppose the question is, is it a lie? When they credit mark Hamill in the acting credits even though he is mostly helping guide the performance, while what what we get on a screen is a stand in body actor and CGI face.

Personally i think its just a cheap trick to put their name in the main actor credits. It just looks good to have that name in credits.

24. Cos Palpatine

Apr 5, 2022
    *standing ovation as JEJ metaphorically walks off the playing field*

25. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Ha, I knew it.

I'm less clear on whether Respeecher needs an actual voice to mold. Can it create a voice from scratch, or does it need dialogue by a speaker to the change? I take it the scene where Vader's helmet gets damaged and the voice you here goes back and forth between Hayden's and Jones' is all Hayden, with Respeecher changing the tone of Hayden's voice to Jones' during certain sections, but this article made it sound like the majority of the time they were creating the spoken dialogue from scratch.

wobbits likes this.