main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Darth Vader Supreme Costume

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by LukeSkiewalker, May 14, 2005.

1. Hedjii72

Hedjii72 Jedi Youngling

May 1, 2005
    Hi All!

I am loving this discussion!

What about the Rubies Supreme Vader HELMET? At $100, it seems pretty close to the Don Post Classic Action helmet. I've seen a lot of people modify it and give it a good paint job and it looks pretty good to me.

My question is, if the 501st says no to the whole Rubies costume, what about just the helmet? I understand that you don't want to skimp on the helmet, but is the difference between a CA and the Rubies helmet worth $300 - $400? I personally am hoping to do a Vader costume. I would start with the Rubies helmet, and then do the other parts myself.

Also, if the screen accuracy is the criteria, many of the Stormtroopers in the 501st aren't quite accurate. Dont get me wrong, they're great. But not accurate. If those trooper costumes were made by Rubies, would they be disqualified?

I love the 501st. They are awesome. I hope to join one day. And I do understand that it is necessary to have selection criteria for membership. I think this is a GREAT discussion. This thread is very helpful to get an accurate picture of what goes into making a screen accurate costume.

2. Sarlacc_Pit

Sarlacc_Pit Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 24, 2001
    CA vader helmets are okay to get in, so the Rubies version should do the same. Since I own both, I can say that the Rubies one was built better out of the box. Grill is better and has alluminum billits. The lenses are funky though.

3. Hedjii72

Hedjii72 Jedi Youngling

May 1, 2005
    I have heard the biggest complaint with this mask is the lenses. Can anyone describe specifically what is wrong with them?

Has anyone found a good way to replace the lenses on the Rubie's Supreme mask?

Vaderpainter offers lenses for other helmets, but not specifically for the Rubie's. Would they fit the same?

4. Sarlacc_Pit

Sarlacc_Pit Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 24, 2001
    Here is a pic...

[image=http://sarlaccpit.net/mboard/vader_helm001.jpg]

they look bubbled in the middle.
    I don't know if Bob's replacements will work. The D.P. CA helmet is pulled from the ESB molds while the Rubies Supreme is from ROTS molds.

5. TC517

TC517 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 2001
    S_S edit: removed reference to other user's inappropriate comments.

You could find a great seamstress and get an Imperial officer Uniform for less than even the Vader costs. Not only is it more comfortable, but it gets you into the 501st. ;)

I saw the Rubies costume both at the Rubies booth at CIII and a guy was wearing it around the con. For starters, never buy the whole costume. As a 501st member (stormtrooper) who admires the Vaders, not only does it not do them justice, but it won't do you justice either. The only "starter" worthy thing in the whole costume is the undersuit... I only say this because it is mostly covered and the real leather ones can be outrageously expensive. The armor is thin and cheap. The same can be said about the fabric in the cape and gloves. The boxes are a waste of space and the belt buckle looks like cardboard.

As far as the helmet... it won't have the quality feel like some fan made ones have. If you pick up a Rubies helmet and pick up a fan made, you will notice a difference. This reminds me of the line in Jurasic Park: "Is it heavy? ... Then it's expensive."

To me, the helmet looked over sized a little, but then again, so is my TK helmet so who am I to talk.

My advice is this. If you want to be vader: do it right.

Remember this too, at 501st events, more than likely, there will already be or can only be one Vader. If you show up with the rubies costume on and walk around with the real Vader, even casual fans will see the difference.
    Do yourself a favor and get TK or scout armor. TIE pilots are great too! Ask about the Vader costume on the 501st boards... they will give you some help and better reasons why not to get this costume.

6. Darth_Takeo

Darth_Takeo Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 29, 2004
    S_S edit: removed reference to other user's inappropriate comment.

7. Rogan_Agar

Rogan_Agar Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2004
    Here, take a look and see yourself:

This is my Vader helmet, a TESB/ROTJ fan made fiberglass helmet:

[image=http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid169/p8a6eae8c96d44e6111b1053d580c716f/f4146029.jpg] (I hope the link works, it is some kind of free hosting site)

And here the Rubies $ 100 USD helmet:

[image=http://web.ukonline.co.uk/bingo275/marapril05/rub05vadsup1.JPG]

I don't think words are needed to discribe the differences.

8. Darth_Takeo

Darth_Takeo Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 29, 2004
    How much was the fan made helmet? Just curious.

Definitely no comparison either, the fan made is superior, but the Rubies one is a lot better than the $30 one I have with the tiny helmet and crappy painted tusks and nose. I thought it was the best thing ever when I was younger though, lol.

9. Rogan_Agar

Dec 1, 2004
    I got it for $ 750 USD.

Yes the Rubies $ 100 USD looks better than the cheap $ 30 USD one. The difference is like night and day between them.

10. tyleratticus

tyleratticus Jedi Youngling

May 16, 2005
  11. Rogan_Agar

Dec 1, 2004
    $ 30 USD helmet and mask:

Here

12. TC517

TC517 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 2001
    LOL. :) A positive side on the "official" masks are they do get a little better each time. Hopefully, in time, we can actually buy an amazing Vader with a Lucas seal of approval.

Until then, fans are producing some really awesome stuff. Considering how much time and craftsmanship goes into each piece, its not that much money at all.

13. EricT

EricT Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2004
    Rogan_Agar, I found the pic of the fan-made Vader helmet to be too dark to see much. I do appreciate the good pic of the new Rubies "C/A" Vader helmet - I never did find the Rubies booth in the dealer's room at C3, so I didn't get a chance to pick up or even see one of the new helmets. One of my fellow panelists on the Vader costuming panel there DID get one, and said it's basically the same as the Don Post Classic Action version. Well worth the $100 they were going for, even if some things need improvement (a little trimming, better lenses, better grill screens, etc.) - it's the same way with the C/A. Makes a good start for a 501st-class Vader costume, and will be far less expensive (and lighter, to boot!) than one of the fiberglass repros. Hopefully the Rubies helmet will drive down the prices on the DP C/A's - and I say that as someone who was grateful to get one for "only" $350. Just because *I* had to spend a lot on my helmet (or other costume parts) doesn't mean YOU should have to...

If you want ultimate accuracy, you probably want to go ahead and get one of the fan-made fiberglass helmets - some of those things are BEAUTIFUL, bona fide works of art. Personally, I'd be afraid to wear one of those, and my C/A works fine as a costuming helmet. And it's not even painted :).

Eric Tank
    SL-7171 Garrison Tyranus

14. DarthDallas

DarthDallas Jedi Youngling

Oct 24, 2003
    S_S edit: removed inflammatory comments.

15. Hedjii72

Hedjii72 Jedi Youngling

May 1, 2005
    So basically the Rubies Helmet is on par with the Don Post CA Helmet, which some 501st Vaders use already?

I'd say for $100 its almost a no brainer.

I mean, yeah the fan made fiberglass repros are slightly better. But are they $600 better? Also, for costuming, wouldn't the lighter Rubies helmet be more comfortable?

Andy

16. Rogan_Agar

Dec 1, 2004
    I will make a new picture, so you can see it better.

The fan made Fiberglass helmets are art, and yes IMO, and everyone who owes such a helmet will tell you that, too, they are worth the 600 $ extra.
    They look like in the movies. Isn't that what it is all about? To look like the characters in the movies?

The Don Post CA helmet is much more detailed (dome detailing is sharp) and the mask really looks great for a plastic helmet.

But well there are possibilities to update the Rubies one, too.

And yes, the Fiverglass porps are damn heavy... ;)

17. Jorg_Sacul_from_C2

Jorg_Sacul_from_C2 Jedi Master star 3

May 30, 2002
    THE FOLLOWING IS PERSONAL OPINION, BASED ON 28 YEARS OF OBSERVATION AND PERSONAL FRUSTRATION.

Judge you by your size, they will...

I'll throw some salt on the fire here-- unless you're 6'4 or taller, and of good proportional body dimensions, don't waste your time on Vader. You won't look right with "Gene Simmons" heels and even if you wear lifts in your boots, the rest of your body proportions will be off. And you'll look like Dark Helmet in the full-sized mask. Dave Prowse had a 60" chest when he wore the suit in 1977. You'll notice NO lacking for filling out the armor as seen by so many Vaders. Remember the descriptions? "Armored giant"..."Two meters tall"... Vader is a big mother.

I'm 6'1",with a 50" chest and 18" upper arms and am denied being Vader. :( Darn it, I'm evil enough! TO look "correct", I'd have to wear a 80% scale Vader suit, and have 10 year olds be my stormtroopers!!! :(

However, the Vader costume is awesome on it's own, worn by a mannequin. So, if buy it you must, there is your solution.

This isn't (by any means!!)an attack on the guys who were at CIII, or really, any other Vaders out there. I deeply *know* of the desire to wear the suit, and make small children run in terror-I know your heart is in the right place!...but reality is what it is. There are tons of other cool evil costumes from the Star Wars universe to populate--and other than the white armor, most are fairly comfortable. Even the TIE pilot isn't bad, when you have good fans in your helmet.

18. EricT

EricT Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2004
    Jorg_Sacul, I was (at least briefly) one of the Vaders at C3 this year; I've done Vader as my primary costume for the past 2 years, using a DP C/A helmet and what I believe is an old set of GT chest armor, among other things. Between the extra height from the helmet and the 3" lifts in my boots, I stand about 6'6" in costume (6'0" in my bare feet). I have >NEVER< been told by anyone that I'm too short to be Vader, nor that anything looks disproportionate. IF people notice the thick boot soles (and they don't, about half the time), they'll tend to make a comment about KISS boots or disco heels, or something - and then not care about it at all. My own experience is, do what you want to do. If you want to do a Vader costume, do it. Maybe you aren't 7 feet tall, maybe you don't have David Prowse's build - so what? If you're anywhere close, 95+% of people WILL NOT CARE about any shortcomings. If you're not anywhere close - well, that's up to you. I've seen photos of an EXCELLENT looking Vader costume made and worn by a costumer known as Vaderkinde - this person is 5'2". And female. For those who feel compelled to make derisive remarks, try asking them what they've done lately that has required that kind of time, effort, and attention to detail. Or simply ignore them, which is probably the better way to go.

If you want to do a Vader costume, just do it.

Eric Tank
    SL-7171 Garrison Tyranus

19. Rogan_Agar

Dec 1, 2004
    Here the promissed updated pictures of my fan-made Fiberglass TESB/ROTJ helmet.
    Excuse the quality of some of those, I had to scan them, my digital camera is broken :(

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2126590056

Tell me if this link does not work.

20. Darth_Konikus

Darth_Konikus Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 10, 2005
    I think what everyone has to remember (501st aside) is that costuming is supposed to be fun and the general idea is to LOOK like some one else, not BE some one else. For the price (although more expensive here in the U.K.) it is an absolutely great costume. It may not be 100% movie accurate (this next one will undoubtably anoy a few people) but most people who claim to have a 100% movie accurate costume, simply don't. Slating other costumes just because they might not be as good or expensive as yours is just being snobbish! My Vader costume cost far more than the Rubies one and a long time to make but it is by no means movie accurate. Its as good as it can be for what I can actually make myself, and yes I do plan on upgrading parts of it but if I had the money I would still buy the Rubies one because it's FUN! :)

21. Darth_Konikus

Darth_Konikus Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 10, 2005
    The new Rubies helmet is very good and with a paint job will look awsome.When people mention the dome detailing, you have to remember that it is supposed to be a ROTS helmet and as such you shouldnt even think about comparing it to any of the other helmets out ther - of course its different. If you look at the Vader suit in ROTS, nearly all of it is different to the other films. The problem is that ROTS is still new and many fans just prefer the older films and costumes because its what they grew up with. :)

I can see where the 501st are coming from because they 'represent' star wars and as such HAVE to be as screen accurate as possible, however, entry into the 501st is not the be all and end all of costuming.

22. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Well said Darth_Konikus!

23. Drgnfyre4

Drgnfyre4 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 25, 2005
    Gotta concur with a lot of the comments made recently. I own a VERY nice and VERY costly Vader outfit myself. I ended up at our local premiere in Southern California next to one of the Supreme Vader suits and was able to compare parts and had to say that the Supreme suit fell drastically short of expectations. For the money spent one would be well on thier way to affording parts for a majorly screen accurate Vader if parts were purchased from the well known fan vendors who have spent exhaustive hours of research to make thier parts super detailed and accurate. Ironically the guy in the supreme suit looked at my suit and scoffed and said not bad for an amatuer. My suit by the way is real quilted leather and ran about 5 grand total to put together several years ago, just goes to show you it all depends on personal taste. As for some of the extreme comments from the 501st about appropriate Vaders I would like to remind folks its all in fun for most of the population and if you want to wear an outfit, go ahead...better to live the dream than to be sidelined by others who dont want you to have fun. I am a few inches too short for an accurate Vader but at events have had the general public prefer my suit since I carry the outfit and attitude off and just have fun with it. Helps that I lift weights and dont look like a twig in it also...lol. Dont be put off if you're too short,its a free country, not run by the Empire.There are plenty of non 501st events where one can have fun in a less than perfect outfit, if it aint fun...why do it?
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v616/drgnfyre4/DSC00844.jpg

Me in the local paper!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v616/drgnfyre4/Mikesunglow.jpg

24. cal196

cal196 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 19, 2004
    No suit that takes grands to assemble is going to be mass produced by Rubies gimme a break. but the helmet at least is very very good for US-130 bucks. Its just as big as my friends DP deluxe but pales in comparison in the details but I suppose if you where to fiberglass the inside and give it a pro paintjob from an airgun and metal billet and such it would look alot better.

25. Drgnfyre4

Drgnfyre4 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 25, 2005
    Another good point to remember( and I can say this having been a costumer for over ten years and have profesionaly industry experience making props and costumes for films...yes ones youve seen from hollywood)And I know others will back me up on this cause its frustrating as hell...no matter how cheap or expensive your costume is or how accurate you THINK it is...a HUGE portion of the normal world will still ask you if you're a Ghostbuster. There is nothing wrong with striving for the most accurate suit you can get/and or make, sometimes it's best to at least start with something cheap and store bought so you can at least live the dream till you can do better if thats what youre shooting for. I can't count the times i've had people come up and critisize my costume and you know what I say..."thank you..now where is yours?" I think it is totally ridiculous to be discuraged from wearing a costume because someone else thinks there is a hieght requirement on entertainment. Look at many of the Vader suits posted RIGHT HERE ON THIS BOARD... a HUGE percentage of them look horrible from a pro standpoint...fat Vaders, skinny Vaders...do you think they care? Hell no! They are getting to wear the suit they want!!!! By all means take advise to get the suit you want and can at this time afford, but NEVER back down because someone tells you dont look right for the character! Just look at any costume board and theres photo proof FEW ever look totally accurate.