main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Darth Vader's death.

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by CyberSm0ke, May 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SSIntimidator

SSIntimidator Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2003
    I don't believe losing limbs will kill you. The saber is instant cauterization so he has that going for him. The burns I still don't see as severe enough considering he was still moving and breathing on his own. But I guess the whole suit/breathing aparatus had to come from something.

Now, if Vader laid there crispy for hours on end before the Emperor found him then I agree that he would eventually die. Given the short time -- at least the film makes you believe it's a short time -- I don't see how he could have died so quickly.

2. The_Little_Red_Jedi

The_Little_Red_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2004
    I think some people underestimate exactly how devestating it would be to your body to lose all of your limbs, and be set on fire under such extreme circumstances...Anakin was truly lucky to have survived as long as he did.

3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Lucas said that because of his binoics, he cannot summon the Lightning and that it would kill him, if he was hit by it. His anger kept him going until Palpatine got him into the medical capsule, but it was the Lightning that finished him.

4. Eneas

Eneas Jedi Youngling

Apr 5, 2005
    he had to die, he needed to die so that he could be redeemed. it really didn't matter how he died, but the story needed his sacrifice, it was a poetic death, it didn't had to be realistic.

5. AHAMODE

AHAMODE Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2003
    If he didn't die I'm sure the rebels on Endor would have welcomed him with opened arms and danced a jig.

6. DarthFett77

DarthFett77 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 7, 2004
    Heh, since the breathing device is keeping him alive, what if someone bumped into him with a glass of water.

Imperial Officer: Do do do do...

*Bumbs into Vader, spilling water on him*

Darth Vader: Argh! Commander! I . . . *Cough* am . . . *wheeze* ahh . . . *gargle*.

7. frazdan

frazdan Jedi Youngling star 1

May 30, 2002
    When do Yoda and Obi-Wan discover that Anakin/Vader survived Mustafar?

If this isn't covered already, it should be in some EU form.

Obi-Wan left Anakin thinking he was dead/dying very soon?

Right?

What does Obi-Wan tell Yoda when he lands with dying/pregnant Padme?

"I left Anakin legless and burning. He's dead. Oh and by the way, he knocked up Padme and she's about to give birth to his child..."

Does Yoda think of a "plan" for the twins right then?

At somepoint they have to found out that Vader survived and is back killing and stuff. But according to the end of ROTS they think Anakin/Vader is dead...right?

So they originally went into hiding plus hiding the twins so they could raise the twins to kill Sidious?

Then when they realize Vader is still alive, only THEN do they realize how they will "save" Anakin through the will of his children.

Kind of makes that line from Obi "the emperor knew as I did if Anakin had offspring they would be a threat to him..." a little different?

Thoughts?

8. vaderboy5

vaderboy5 Jedi Youngling

May 26, 2005
    anakins mom dies after seeing her son agian
    ankin dies after seeing his son

9. doubleOjedi

doubleOjedi Jedi Youngling

Jan 7, 2005
    The only part I don't get Is if his lungs were burnt and he now needs the suit to breath, why didn?t they put some sort of oxygen mask or something on him while he was being transported and then operated on? ?. Or did they and I missed it? Because it looks like he was breathing ok on his own up until the mask is put on him.

10. DarthDon

DarthDon Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 30, 2004
    He had an oxygen mask on him when he was being brought off Sidious' ship on Coruscant, on his way to the medical chamber.
    Presumably, he no longer required it in the medical chamber, and as someone already mentioned, the chamber must have been assisting his breathing in some way.

11. gregoryandsherri

gregoryandsherri Jedi Youngling

May 26, 2005
    First, I'd say that it was not just the death of Darth Vader, but the rebirth of Anakin Skywalker through the love of a son. That's why the force ghost at the end of ROTJ is now Anakin Skywalker. As an old man he was always Darth Vader...Anakin Skywalker was "killed" as a young adult.

Second, I think that it was the force that let him live. Notice that Padme died as Darth Vader was born. Anakin and Padme's love for each other killed them both. I don't think that Anakin Skywalker actually died until he heard of Padme's death...at his own hand.

Third, he was the chosen one and he fulfilled the prophecy at the end of ROTS when he and Palpatine rule the dark side and obi-wan and Yoda control the light side.

In the end, Anakin's life was controlled by the force, starting with his birth ("there was no father"). But in the end it was love that gave him the ability to redeem himself.

12. Cam_Mulonus

Cam_Mulonus Jedi Master star 4

Jul 29, 2002
    I think Vader was breathing unassisted before the mask was lowered because the operating room was somehow helping him breathe in the same manner as the meditation chamber in the ESB.

Didn't he have a rebreather type of thing over his mouth in the operating room?

13. JR77

JR77 Jedi Youngling

May 24, 2005
    I always thought Vader allowed himself to die because he didn't want to live any longer. Now seeing how Padme died it seems to reinforce that idea to me that the guilt of everything he'd done would be enough to kill him.

14. SithLord4488

SithLord4488 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2005
    maybe, but i doubt it, because he would have kept himself from dying in the ROTJ when he turned good, and could have lived with his children

15. NeoBaggins

NeoBaggins Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003

Thats pretty good CyberSmoke. I like that idea. It was mentioned awhile back that Anakin's hatred would keep him alive. I can see him dying after letting go of his hate in ROTJ. Thats pretty cool.

16. ObiYodaMaul

ObiYodaMaul Jedi Youngling star 1

May 23, 2005
    It's pretty simple why he didn't die after getting jacked by Kenobi. He was a powerful jedi/sith lord. They are not subject to the same rules as the average joe. Some of you who keep rambling on around 3rd degree burns have missed the point or don't get it. As far as the breathing, severe burns can affect your lungs in many ways. Aside from breathing the smoke and having super hot vapor scorch his lungs, there are dangerous gases that accompany lava. He didn't lay there long. According to the novel, Obi Wan left as soon as he noticed the Emperor's shuttle ascending. Apparently Mustafar was a quick light speed jump from Coruscant.

17. Darth_Piddy

Darth_Piddy Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 26, 2004
    I find it kind of funny that in a society with all this advanced technology that can keep Vader alive after a serious injury to his entire body, they couldn't re-attach his original limbs. Now, in ROTS I can understand this since by the time he was rescued his limbs had probably drained of blood or been severely damaged by the heat and lava, but in AOTC they should have been able to save his arm. I know that they didn't so they could show him slowly losing his humanity.
    Also, how come the Emperor can sense that Padme died and has no clue about the twins? Don't answer by saying "there was a public funeral" because the funeral wasn't immediate. Anakin found out at the end of surgery which must have completed before they had Padme's funeral on Naboo.

18. ObiYodaMaul

ObiYodaMaul Jedi Youngling star 1

May 23, 2005
    I'm sure the news wasn't hard to come by. He is the Emperor.............

19. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    ...and Padme is a very famous person.

20. Darth_Piddy

Darth_Piddy Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 26, 2004
    Of course he's the Emperor, but do you really think that Bail and the Jedi made an immediate announcement of her death? Yes they would have eventually found out in the next few days, but I can't believe that the Emperor got word of mouth news that quickly. So I assumed he sensed it with the force. SO then it would be strange that if he is that powerful then why didn't he sense the twins?

21. Anakins_Lost_Father

Anakins_Lost_Father Jedi Youngling

May 24, 2005
    yeah they WERE in hiding, so it seems unlikely any announcement of her death would have been made. Which then comes back as to why the emporer could feel her death and not the birth of the twins..

ehh, but then you have to ask how did the emporer even know that anakin choked her?

lol

22. GOD-ATUN

GOD-ATUN Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2005
    sounds pretty good to me
    in aotc when anakin was saying he would 'keep people from dying' goes with all that too

23. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    Lucas said that because of his binoics, he cannot summon the Lightning and that it would kill him, if he was hit by it.

Yeah, thats always somewhat bothered me. If Anakin was so good at fixing and customizing/hopping up things, why couldnt he customize his suit for protection.

but then you have to ask how did the emporer even know that anakin choked her?

Yeah, the only close witnesses were Padme, Obi-Wan, and R2 and 3CPO. Unless one of Mustafar workers was watching from afar maybe. But then that begs other questions. Or unless maybe Vaderkin mumbled something about it in his semi-awake state on the way back to Coruscant.

24. Nihilist

Nihilist Jedi Youngling star 2

May 8, 2005
    Unless he doesn't actually mean killed her physically(with choke) maybe sidious is saying that in his anger and giving over to the darkside, it killed her. Which is what happened. She lost the will to live because of anakin. It's open to interpretation.

That keeps with the irony of the whole thing. He goes over for the power to save her and who he becomes, what he turns into to attain the power..kills her.

Palpatine used their love to destroy them both. He finally killed padme, but it was through anakin that he did it..and he converts anakin through padme. Very sadistic and insidious..but he didn't know about the twins.. So his destruction of their love was not complete.

My thoughts on why sid's nor vader could feel the children is..think about when they became aware of luke...thats my answer. Remember..they never felt leia till luke gave her up.

25. Drak537

Drak537 Jedi Youngling

May 16, 2005
    Palpatine never said that he didn't "know" how to keep people from dying, he only said that "only one has ever accomplished this" or something along those lines.

I've listened for this conversation several times to see if I was misunderstanding it and to see why Anakin didn't feel duped. I believe now that Palpatine knows the basics but lacked enough power in the force to actually pull it off. Maybe it is a really simple trick and once Anakin knew it could be done, he was powerful enough to do it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.