main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Dathomir Fan Club - from kwa to witches!

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Gamiel, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Should mention that WotC's rules [face_sick] have Force Adept getting the Force Talisman* feat at Level 8; Dark Side Devotee get Dark Side Talisman** at Level 2; and Telepath get the Receptacle*** feat at Level 8. As reference so do the game say that somebody with level in the Jedi classes are considered a padawan until Level 7, when he is knighted by the order.

* Allows you to imbue an item of personal significance with the Force, which gives a bonus when trying to defend against Force tricks or attacks.
    ** Allows you to imbue an item of personal significance with the dark side of the Force, which gives a bonus when trying to defend against non-dark side Force tricks or attacks
    *** Allows you to create a Force battery from an item

2. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    Interesting read - for years I've been saying that Nightsisters are not fully dark nor light - they reside in the middle, similar to how the Bendu was described. Dathomir and the sisterhood come before all else - the galactic wars aren't their primary concern. They can and have sided with all factions, even fringe groups, when it served their interest. I've also asserted many times that the covens of Dathomir (CW) only represent the traditional portion of the Nightsisters, there are an untold number of sisters across the galaxy.

What I must disagree with in the excerpt above is that Nightsisters "know no serenity or peace" - they know both on Dathomir, when off-worlders don't interfere with their culture. It was both the Sith and Jedi that brought chaos to the planet, resulting in the destruction of Talzin's coven. The Clone Wars clearly established her as the supreme amongst all Mothers - she was in fact the Great Mother to the Frangawl Cult as well. With their help, she was draining the living Force from beings, as it is the basis for Ichor as well. The Spirit Ichor on Dathomir is simply drawn from the planet, wildlife, plants, and sisters themselves. Only the wisest and most powerful of the Nightsisters can manipulate it solely though, otherwise a group of spellcasters must draw upon it in a communal use of magicks. That's why I don't like the characterization they wrote into the final season of CW that even Nightsisters like Talzin aren't Force sensitive - she honed her skills over years, just as a Jedi or Sith would, and she produced Force sensitive offspring - hopefully they retcon that at some point, and her words to Windu were a deception.

ColeFardreamer likes this.
  3. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    I need someone to translate french text to english for me. The french and spanish only published book by Tricia Barr still has been not released in english if it ever will. So anybody willing to at least translate a few pages, contact me please.

4. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    New Dathomir intel for us in IDW's latest haunted tales from Vader's Castle #1. Dathomir is not shown but referenced (yet not in name) :

This issue is about Spidermaul on Lotho Minor, but during an ultimately thwarted escape attempt set before his TCW episode he tries to return home to "Mother" to "Mount Gethzerion".

So, I deduce three bits from this:
    1) There is a mountain named after a certain famous Legends Nightsister Leader already during TCW.
    2) This may be the name of the Mountain cave temple Talzins coven uses as their home village.
    3) If named after a living or past Nightsister, that had the same name as later Gethzerion is unclear. But it strengthens and reinforces the ties between this character and Mother Talzin as definitely connected!

5. Mother_Talzin

Aug 23, 2014
    Perhaps Gethzerion is a name that's been passed along, because if a mountain holds that name during the CW era, it surely would have been for a deceased Nightsister. If there is only one character with that name, and she died before the CW, that would knock the Courtship novel further from the realm of possibility. I prefer to believe that elements of the novel could have still taken place after Sidious confronted Talzin, and a resurgence on Dathomir happened, whether from scattered clans, or Nightsisters that were off-world during the events of the CW.

6. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013

We already know offworld sisters do exist, so that is a safe bet.

Gethzerion could have been Mother before Talzin and left for an offworld mission and retake control after Talzins fall for Courtship later on. Or she was believed dead and honored with a mountain while not actually dead, or resurrected later on Talzin style. She did look rather Zombie-ish back in COPL already and any art depictions of her did too in Galaxies and WEG.

I still headcanon that Maul tried to revive the witches while having his Crimson Dawn base on the world and it backfired with those he brought back (Gethzerion maybe?) not taking orders from a male Nightbrother kicking him out, or dumping him on Malachor! Subsequently when the Emperor learned of what happened on Dathomir, he quickly moved his forces in to blockade it and take them any means of leaving the planet away just in time for COPL.

That way, Gethzerion could even be none other than an old Nightsister spirit inhabiting Qi'ra's body, which rapidly decays due to the dark side posession :p

If only Han knew in COPL he was meeting an old ex of him on the planet he'd won :p

7. Mother_Talzin

Aug 23, 2014
    From what I recall, there is nothing in the CW series, nor Courtship that precludes Gethzerion from existing in the same era as Talzin, so its possible that she might be leading another clan off-world, only later to return to Dathomir. I like to think of the Nightsister matriarchal structure similar to how Dune establishes the Bene Gesserit, since Lucas and Filoni clearly borrowed from them. Talzin would represent the Reverend Mother, leader of the entire group, while smaller clans on various planets would have mothers leading their daily operations. If she or any other Nightsisters interacted with Maul, that would surely make for some interesting content. I like the idea of them exiling him to Malachor for trying to manipulate their magicks as a male.

8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Or maybe Gethzerion is just the name of a mountain in the New Canon and not a person name.

9. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Or Allyas original daughters each founded a future clan/coven and Clan Gethzerion is actually the name of Talzins coven using the clandestine mountain-cave village the first Gethzerion founded? In a way if it is a clan name it even could be interesting for One Canon and later Gethzerion technically could be anybody from said clan.. whoever re-founded it and took the clan name as her own.

10. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Quite some Dathomir news today straight from the latest release Ultimate Star Wars New Edition:

As the Solo tie in novel Last Shot already referenced Dathomir a while ago, the following species (first seen in TFA Maz castle as musician) once was native to Dathomir:

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Fromprath

Ultimate SW now though says they were forced out of Dathomir hundreds of years ago when the dathomirians/witches, called Nightsisters in the book, arrived and forced them out!!

So in new canon, is this the original native species of Dathomir? Yes. And it is not extinct but lives offworld now even around in TFA times! While not said to be native verbatim, they were there before the witches and may have colonised it themselves at some point maybe (at least that is how I reconsile it with Legends/OneCanon)

Does this mean Dathomir's ruins are theirs and not of earlier species like in Legends? Probably but unconfirmed.

How does this jive with Allya and the witches backstory? Looks like dathomirians (i.e. human Zabrak hybrids) existed before Dathomir and settling there like an invading force and not just one Allya getting exiled and starting the culture. Does this move Allyas story offworld to elsewhere and only afterwards did they move to Dathomir? Also, what was Dathomirs name bevor they took it? Did the hybrid dathomirians name other planets after themselves Dathomir before that and as they moved their base the name got taken with them to the new home much like Mandalore or Bastion?

How can Allya be exiled on a settled planet!?! I mean, she could live in the wilderness parts far from settlements, start witchculture and then attack the settlements. Much like Onderon and its Beast Riders did with Iziz. But it would add quite a different angle towards Allyas exile and backstory!

How to One Canon this and Legends lore?

Gamiel likes this.
  11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    o_O
    I think you should lay of the magic mushrooms. Unlike what their name suggests do they don't help with magic.

Do we know that if they are true natives or just the previous immigrant settlers?

What ruins are you thinking of?

Allya is not part of the new Canon (outside of FFG, which don't count), or have I missed something?

Don't. That's your answer.

12. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012

13. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    I knew this lovely article. Interesting to note the image of Iridonia has the planet with a similiar reddish hue as Dathomir's picture. What paralell might we deduce from that?

14. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Jedi Fallen Order will be good to this topic and our beloved Dathomir...

I am bathing in new information right now but will refrain from posting due to it being leaks.

15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Could be that the reason why Iridonia has a reddish hue is the same as Dathmoirs, could be some other reason, could just be something the artist added - since at least some of the planets in the information books that we see from space are showing having colours that don't really correspond to how the planets environment is described/shown to look like

16. Mother_Talzin

Aug 23, 2014
    Has anyone been tracking the development / story for the Jedi: Fallen Order game? It brings a return to Dathomir and the Nightsisters / Nightbrothers, including a specific Nightsister named Merrin that can teleport like Talzin, and resurrect the dead like Daka. The narrative mentions multiple times that they were almost wiped out, but clearly they still exist. They're also described as Force sensitive a couple times, so back to my point from the CW series - Talzin was clearly deceiving Windu when she said she wasn't Force sensitive.

[​IMG]

Gamiel, bluealien1 and Iron_lord like this.
  17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Or maybe she did not believe in her ignorance what she was doing had with the Force to do*

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  18. Mother_Talzin

Aug 23, 2014
    That, good sir, is what we call blasphemy. She shared knowledge with Darth Sidious, and has been around so long that she is described as ancient, surely she knows the contrivances of the Force.

19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    But she could still be deluding herself that what she was doing was something different from the Jedi and the Sith.

20. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Talzin sure used and knows the Force. And knows who to appease with halftruths.

While the game presents Merrin as sole sister surrounded by plenty of Nightbrothers and Zombies... we can be sure there are other survivors that just never met on that huge planet.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    Mother_Talzin likes this.
  21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Beside the below image, have we ever seen Silri use a sword?
    [​IMG]

Iron_lord likes this.
  22. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Nope only her lightwhip

Gamiel likes this.
  23. Grievous2003

Grievous2003 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 31, 2019
    Hey there, I have been doing some research into the Nightsister/Nightbrother culture for a piece in my personal fanfiction. It involves the Nightsister Kycina who in Legends was Maul's mother before they changed his mother to Talzin in Canon.

Under Talzin's rule the Nightbrothers and Nightsisters are kept separate from each other. The Nightbrothers become slaves when the Nightsisters hold the Selection trials where they end up killing each other and the winner becomes the Nightsister's servant/mate. It was said that Maul's father was killed after Maul was born, although the Wookipedia page states its possible that Savage and Feral were conceived by the same father: https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Maul's_father#cite_note-TWoDM-2. I just fail to see the practicality of this; if a Nightsister kills her mate after her child is born, that means if she wants another child she has to hold the whole Selection process again which results in more dead Nightbrothers. It also opens the possibility that the number of Nightbrothers born aren't enough to replace the Nightbrothers that are killed through the trials, which could potentially lead to the extinction of both groups if there are no males to reproduce with. For the sake of simplicity, in my story a Nightbrother who passes the Selection trials become bound to serve that particular Nightsister forever (as when Savage was bound to serve Ventress). This way, a Nightsister is able to conceive multiple children from a single mate and she retains a slave forever bound to serve her will (like a House-Elf from Harry Potter).

Regarding Kycina, in Legends she did not want her baby Maul to grow up to be a slave so she gave him to Sidious to take him off Dathomir. The new canon involves Sidious tricking Talzin and abducting her child Maul from her. While I am retaining Maul's Canon origins in my fanfiction, this leaves the opportunity for Kycina to give birth to a different child with remarkable potential. In my story, Kycina gives birth to a Dathomirian male whom she names Heathen. She does not want Heathen to grow up to be a slave, so she and her Nightbrother mate (whom I will call Shukar) flee the the Nightsister village to go out into hiding in the wild (similar to how in 300 Ephialtes and his parents fled Sparta so he wouldn't be discarded). For several years they survive in the wild. During this time, Kycina and Shukar fall in love and the three of them become a family. Eventually, however, the Nightsisters find them and bring them back to the village. Shukar is executed, Kycina is locked away and eventually dies in prison, and Heathen is forced to live among the Nightbrothers. It is because the Nightsisters took away his family that he grows up to hate them and wants revenge, but there is nothing he can do because all the other Nightbrothers do not have the power or will to fight back.

Is love something that was forbidden between a Nightsister and her mate? I understand that men to them were merely tools but was it frowned upon to be more than that? I understand in that article on the Nightsisters it was said that passions were discouraged to avoid walking the path of the Sith. Would love between a mistress and her servant be considered ludicrous in this kind of a culture?

Iron_lord likes this.
  24. Grievous2003

Grievous2003 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 31, 2019
    I have a question and I am assuming this never occurred during the canon or legends to its open to speculation: what would happen if during the Selection trials a Nightbrother killed a Nightsister? Based on what we've seen in the Clone Wars these trials are live or die. But if during the trials a Nightbrother killed the Nightsister who was looking to enslave him, would the other Nightsisters have him executed or something. I believe Nightsisters received a different kind of training than the Nightbrothers to ensure that they were stronger than them and that they couldn't rise up so this probably wouldn't happen often. Although it is possible that not every Nightbrother was killed in the trials as Feral survived (before being killed by Savage). Just curious on your thoughts.

25. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013

The Nightsisters would accept him among their ranks and perform a transformation spell turning him into a female!