main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

Andor Dedra Meero

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by 3sm1r, Sep 29, 2022.

1. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Padme/Anakin was also not intended to be that way.

I feel like this is.

2. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Awkward as heck?

3. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    Yes, I'd like to see them go "full awkward" too.

Have the scenes acted seriously as though they both think it's normal to behave in certain ways. But have those ways be cringe-worthy awkward (almost comical) to the audience where it virtually border-line grosses them out.

Almost like the mannerisms (in some ways) of Carry and Bridges in Dumb and Dumber, but acted properly (not silly like) and seriously like the characters actually believe it.

Slater likes this.
  4. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    Kinky (Imperial) Boots for her and Syril.

But Dedra is of course more than a love interest for Syril. It's certainly implied she has feelings for Syril herself. Maybe her feelings towards Syril are a consequence of being rescued?

There's definitely more story behind Dedra. Maybe her background is something similar to Syril's? Or maybe Dedra she is just a nasty person but still has desires like the "good guys"? To me, that would show how different people can become, even though they share many of the same human characteristics. We can relate to them - and feel like they do - even if they are cruel and oppressive.

I'd love to see more Dedra being Dedra. A great portrayal by Denise Gough.

5. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    ITT people learn how love works

6. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    or how it doesn't.

3sm1r likes this.
  7. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Looking forward to the new spinoff: Meero and the Zero!

Sarge, rumblewagon and Bor Mullet like this.
  8. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    Although, I was stunned to catch a brief glimmer of humanity when Dedra was being told the final resting spot of Maarva's brick, which gave her pause.

9. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    The feeling I got is that she was a little horrified and weirded out that Syril was there, but he saved her life, so she was able to spit out the words “I suppose I should thank you.” His obsession might be slowly winning her over, but I think she’s still quite weirded out by him.

LedReader, Riv_Shiel, DannyD and 2 others like this.
  10. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    Hope that at least something about Dedra's past will be revealed in season 2.

Come to think of it, Meero is exactly the type of Imperial that book Thrawn prefers to have as an ally - she is initiative, determined and resourceful, does not like wasting time on bureaucracy and infightings, loyal to the Empire, but not necessary to Palpatine - she criticized the Emperor's decision to increase mass repressions.

SyndicThrass and rumblewagon like this.
  11. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    "I suppose I should say thank you."
    Trying to find a way to say 'thank you' without saying it.
    Typical. She's so cold and rigid.

Riv_Shiel and Sarge like this.
  12. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    Dammit, now you’ve made me want to see some of these Imperials in the post-RotJ shows...

Last edited: Nov 25, 2022
    Foreign32567 likes this.
  13. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I think it’s that, and I also think it’s that she’s trying to reconcile being saved with being saved by a stalker…

Riv_Shiel and rumblewagon like this.
  14. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Syril saving Dedra was such an odd mix of emotions. It was frightening, while also sort of thrilling in a desperate adventurous romantic way while also being comical.

It starts out frightening because Dedra was really in danger. Her sort of scream was unnerving matched with the mob around her. She totally lost control of what was happening. It felt like she might be ripped apart at the hands of rioters.

She’s a villain and sadistic. But she screamed in terror and showed such real distress it was frightening - it did not feel like she deserved that fate even after all the other terrible plans we’ve seen her put into action. I was worried she was in real danger.

And then you have Syril save her. Dedra’s reaction when she sees it’s him. It’s so not what I would expect. There was weird romantic tension here. If they kissed it would not have surprised me. But the weird romantic vibe was desperate in a way beyond kissing. There were vibes that if this was an R rated show they might spontaneously have sex. But it doesn’t even get close to crossing the line with kissing.

And then there is a goofy humor to it all. Syril is standing there in this Han Solo pose with his blaster cocked to the side of his head. It’s all very phallic. But also nerdy. And while the heat is there for Syril to just grab Dedra and kiss her he doesn’t lean into that reaction at all. And he’s more or less subservient. Obedient. So his attitude doesn’t match the pose of his swagger.

And while Dedra looks like she’d let Syril kiss her, while she gives off that vibe she also makes a few of her off putting curled lip snarling expressions.

Just the the way Dedra and Cyril are filmed is sort of heroic without them acting the part making it comical.

Such an odd pair. I look forward to what sort of dynamic they have working together in season 2.

rumblewagon, Sarge and Bor Mullet like this.
  15. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I agree with all that, but I don’t think Dedra gives off kiss me vibes at all. I think she’s disgusted by this guy, but oddly flattered by his infatuation. And could do something with him if he keeps persisting. But she was far more weirded out by Syril in that scene than attracted to him. But her brain was telling her she should be thankful to him.

rumblewagon and Sarge like this.
  16. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I don’t know. I got strong they’re about to kiss vibes from the scene. :p[face_sick]

17. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    It’s like the way the scene was shot is showing us the characters inner emotions. Maybe Syril in the Han Solo pose is how inside Dedra feels looking at him in that moment.

These two characters are both constantly stifling emotions in the series. Ultimately their words and actions in the closet are not very emotional. It’s the closest we get to seeing their version of humanity break through.

The two emotions we do see from them throughout the series are frustration and a hungry ambition needing recognized as competent.

18. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    They are oppressors of people and suppressors of emotions, for different reasons.

It seemed like the scene was showing us they don't really know what to do when shown compassion (or desire).

The scene is a bit ambivalent as it could go a few ways. Is it mutual attraction and intimacy? Or is it Dedra's hesitant gratitude for being saved by creepy, subservient stalker? Or is it attraction from Syril with Dedra continuing to suppress her own reactions (whatever these are) and just merely behaving like a grateful person.

Dedra does show brief releases of emotions when in private in earlier episodes but the only one she really allows others to see is her Imperial disgust and sneering.

A rewatch is needed to help clarify I think. A brilliantly done scene though and lots of possibility for the future. If they don't appear again, I guess we'll only have to imagine what follows in their relationship. Who knew Imperial overlords might have...feelings that burst through their need for imposing control?

19. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Syril is done eating cereal, now it’s time to eat [my lawyer advised me not to continue this post]

20. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
  21. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Release the F bomb cut!!!

rumblewagon likes this.
  22. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015
    Anyone else thinks Deedra will be the "fall guy" for the Ferrix imperial fiasco ?

23. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    She will escape that and blame the captain who caused it.

24. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Almost certainly, I think.

25. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I am rather unmovable on the "watch your back" warning from her lovable PopPopmmander being the pivot for internal ISB response to Dedra's "fault" in how Ferrix went down.

Bor Mullet likes this.