main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discuss BP with Kathy -- Spoilers Welcome

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Shmi52, Oct 31, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    Kathy, I think we can all speculate as much as we want about the name of Luke's and Mara's baby boy. However; I don't think it will be Anakin because Leia already beat him to it, and I think every fan and SW author would agree with me on this. As for myself, I think Ben Skywalker kinda has a nice ring to it, and Luke would probably choose this name to honor good old Obi-Wan "Ben" Kenobi. Their relationship was a combination of friend-friend, student-teacher, and son-father.

2. Shmi52

Shmi52 Author of New Jedi Order: Balance Point star 3 VIP

Nov 20, 1999
    JediAlly -- Good thought. Maybe as a middle name? Or change a few letters? (kindof hard to do that with a three-letter name, though)

Pasting ValedaKor's message here:

Subject: First Thoughts on BP
    Author: ValedaKor Date Added: 8:52am (PST)
    First of all - thanks, Kathy, for continuing to intrigue fans with an terrific addition to the Canon. I found BP fast paced and refreshingly free from the ton of 'back story' which, IMHO, has plagued some of the earlier books (but don't get me wrong -- I've enjoyed them all).

Now, reaction to the book (SPOILERS GALORE FOLKS, SO I HOPE YOU'VE READ THE WHOLE BOOK - shouting, I know but I wanted to get that across).

1. My heart sank when I came to the ending -- another purge of the Jedi? Oh, no, say it ain't so! I hope that doesn't mean that some of my favorite SW characters -- Corren among them -- are destined to go to that big Jedi Temple in the sky.

****I hate to say it again, but . . . wait and see!

2. Does this mean that Jacen has a backbone now?
    Now that he's number one on the Vong's hit list, can we expect him to do a Ben Kenobi and disappear, or...?

****I think it's safe to admit that he's not going to vanish.

3. It's bad enough that Leia has lost her hair, I hope she isn't losing her legs too! Yikes! More stress until the next book comes out.

****_I_ don't know whether or not she gets to keep her legs!

4. The patter of little feet in the Skywalker/Jade household. 'Bout time, too. Readers get to see the emotional highs and lows of the characters we've come to know and love, and we follow along as they debate the Future of the New Republic and the Future of the Jedi and etcetera, etcetera, being all deep and serious. I want to see Luke changing diapers! (OK, he can use the Force if he wants...). Although I don't want to see Mara go too girly...she's a strong female character; again, IMHO, it would be a departure from the strength she's shown to suddenly wilt and become something other than she is.

****Agreed.

5. Serious time. I've got two words for the Vong - biological warfare. Sorry, Jacen, but it's time to take it to the Vong. Your scene, Kathy, when Leia turns away from watching the refugees thrown into the firepit...that was 'almost' a throw away scene, but if one goes beyond the words on the page to think about the implications of total disregard for other life, as the Vong has been showing throughout the NJO, well, there is no alternative. Let's see a biological Death Star being readied to send to the Vong's home world.

****As a former microbiology major -- good point. Or maybe they can be attacked at an even more fundamental level.

Anyway, this has gone on way too long. I had a lot to think about as I was reading, but don't want to go on and on. I'll post more, if I don't get a million messages to cease and desist.

****Post all you want. Right here.

Again, I want to thank Kathy and Michael and Kevin (both of whom I've met -- wonderful, wonderful people) and all the other SW authors past and present for the pleasure they've given me over the years -- oh, yeah, and that guy named George.

Oh, another thought: Is Anakin the Chosen One, or is it just me?

'Bye for now,
    Valeda Kor, Jedi Knight
    AKA Helen Howerton

****I suspect we'll find out more about the Chosen One in Eps 2 and 3, but that is ONLY suspicion and not based on inside knowledge.

Kathy

3. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    For Kathy...I got three questions and I dont know if its been asked cause I dont want to read the thread for fear of spoilers. Since Nuriuan is now on the map...I would like to know.....

Are there any Chiss in the book?

And will there be more Chiss in the future?

Will the Hand of Thrawn play a big role in the NJO in the future?

You can PM the answers if you want. Danke

4. Nav Usa

Nav Usa Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 14, 1999
    It seems that after a year of NJO, a lot of plot developments whether intentional or unintenitional have been opened. Are these developments going to be concluded in NJO, or is their a plan for a series after NJO?

Also, in JE Wurth cut off the air supply to the vong. Why not have the Jedi do that when they are outnumbered by Vong warriors?

5. Shmi52

Nov 20, 1999
    Cmdr --
    Only their ships.
    I don't know!
    Don't know that either . . .

Big help, aren't I?
    Sorry -- ;)

Nav Usa --
    I don't know of any series planned for after NJO. I suspect that's going to be a marketplace decision.
    Good question -- maybe Jacen will develop an answer.

Kathy

6. Shmi52

Nov 20, 1999
    Upsa-daisy.

Apologies, admins. I promise not to do it often.

Kathy

7. HOSASarah

HOSASarah Jedi Youngling

Nov 4, 2000
    Hi all. Just wanted to start off by admitting that I'm a major spoiler junkie...I think they really need a 12 step program for it ;)

Now, for Kathy: I haven't recieved my copy of BP yet, but from all I've heard and seen it seems like a GREAT book...Congratulations! I'll be waiting outside next to our mailbox until it comes. And I also have to say that I think you're an excellent author :) On the subject of seasons...Growing up in central Alberta we had Pre-Winter, Winter, Post-Winter and a week of nice weather.

And for everybody else: I may just be crazy and slightly delusional from being on my feet all day yesterday...But am I the only one that thinks Jaina and Jagged Fel would make a good couple?

8. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    Kathy - Laughing out loud - you head must be hurting from the implant! :)

Nevertheless, I think it would be great if the child were named Ben.

9. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Ohh Bible names for Luke's son...?;)

Matthew Skywalker!

Matt Skywalker....

What..?Don't you guys look at me that way.......

It's a SW Galaxy name........it's in The Truce of Bakura......Lieutenant Matthews......

Matthew means gift of God........and since the Force is the closest thing to a god in SW Universe I think it would be ever so appropiate,since the child is a gift of the Force......

Well.....I thought it was a good idea.....

*shrugs shoulders,and quietly walks away whistling to myself*

J/K J/K ;)

10. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    Kathy - I give you permission to up it all you want! :)

11. Waning Drill

Waning Drill Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 30, 1999
    Isn't Luke a Biblical name as well?

But I agree that Matthew would be a good name (my name's Matt as well). :D

12. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    Hello Matt.;)

13. Matt Windu

Matt Windu Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 20, 2000
    Well I certianly wouldn't mind Matthew for the Skycrawler name. <big grin> :)

14. Waning Drill

Dec 30, 1999
    Why, hello Matt! :)

15. Yarua Of Kashyyyk

Yarua Of Kashyyyk Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2000
    Hello again Kathy.

With the barrage of questions about
    a) babies; and
    b) whether you'll write a prequel novel

I thought I would combine them and ask:

After Episode III comes out (which is probably going to be the most appropriate time) would you like to write the book that explains how Shmi found out she was pregnant with Anakin? It could also include how she was first enslaved and how she ended up as Gardulla the Hutt's slave.

Sorry that it's not a question about BP, but I hope it's still an interesting question. :)

16. Jedi_Jade-Skywalker

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2000
    Is the baby a girl or a boy?

17. anyueman

anyueman Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 11, 2000
  18. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    Boy.

Oh and....Hello Matts!;)

LOL!This is like that John Hammond Clones part in Jurassic Park...

"Hello John,why hello John,hello John....;))

19. Waning Drill

Dec 30, 1999
    I was just thinking the same thing! :D

20. jade51999

jade51999 Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Hi Kathy!!

ok i really really tried to read all the questions before...but i couldn't ....(it takes a long time to got through 18 pages...but if i ask something that has been asked already..just ignore it...

i'm rambling here...The BOOK WAS GREAT...i have no other way to put it..

Ok my questions
    1. What DID happen to Basbakan?? I might have missed it cause, whenever i was not studying, i'd read as much as i could, but is what happened to him important?

2. You seem to talk alot about, both here and in the Firebird books, about Astronomy( you mention Pulsar's and binary star systems) Did you take a class, or was it something that you just knew??

3. I know you can't talk about stuff that happens later..but was the decision to NOT tell the rest of the family, your's? And has it been left up to another author to tell, or did Jacen figure it out in that last bit?

hmm..that's it for now..i gotta go back and reread the book, in a less impatient manner...
    This book made me feel more lighthearted, and i am hoping like others that Leia, does get to do somethign other then save the world, and focus on herself...

21. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    My name being Matthew as well, Matthew Skywalker has a nice ring to it.

22. Hope

Hope Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 1999
    Finally finished Balance Point last night and I loved it! I just want to thank Kathy, DelRey, Lucasfilm and everyone responsible for this book and the others. For me, BP was a bright spot in an otherwise dark series. Thanks!

Brennen sounds like a good name for the little Skycrawler...

23. Chewbacca of Kashyyyk

Chewbacca of Kashyyyk Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 17, 1999
    Okay, Chewbacca of Kashyyyk loved this book. It was one of the best in the Extended Universe. As part of a series, credit must go to everybody involved in setting it up as a part of a whole. Still , Shmi52 deserves credit for a lot of things that hit the mark.......square!

Characterization. CoK believes that characters must have a believable, motivating force behind their actions. The trick of the writer is to make the reader a believer, a fan of the motivation. Balance Point conveyed these motivations beautifully. Cok got the impression that this book was not written, but rather crafted with many details from the past influencing the current behavior. It was very obvious that KT was very comfortable writing in this universe.

Chewbacca.............the wookie Chewbacca was a major loss to many fans and readers. When a loved one is lost, the loss often becomes the lens through which one sees the current circumstance. Many referances where made to Chewie throughout the book. Situations would occur where a flash of throught occurred and Chewies memory came flitting through.

Han and Leia, like Han and Chewie, They are better together. Now all Han needs to do is repaint the falcon.

Great critters.........there were a whole slew of new Vong critters that CoK thougth where supercool. CoK likes the Vong critters and it may be time to revisit the YV zoo.

Balance Point........Life is all about balance. All life is forever being tipped in one direction or another. Finding balance in its many facets is our lifelong challenge.

Anything that CoK did not like..........when CoK first heard about the face, CoK was hoping it was a large furry face that was an old friend. CoK thought that they had brought him back. When CoK realized that the face was a baby (which is cool in and of itself), CoK felt like a falling moon.:(

Shmi52 wrote a marvelous book full of developed characters. Stories can be great, but a story driven by well developed, natural characters lives forever.

This was one of Cok's favorites!!!!!!!!!!Shmi52 should write the final chapter!!!!!!!

24. Shmi52

Nov 20, 1999
    Hope, that's IT!!!! Don't you see? It's a little bit like Ben, but not too much . . . has a nice, classy . . . powerful sound to it, it can be shortened easily to Brenn. Yes. Brennen Skywalker. I could handle that. ;D

Lest any of you others think I'm serious, Hope picked a very special name out of my other series. Thanks, Hope. It was good for a BIG grin.

HOSASarah -- I hope BP reaches you before winter hits.

The Gatherer -- My head's OK but my wrist's getting a little mouse-weary. J/K

Matthew, Matt, and Matt -- Is this some kind of conspiracy?

Yarua -- Hm, that IS an interesting proposition. I could hang out a shingle . . . SKYCRAWLERS 'R' US. I doubt I'll be asked to write it (or was I, just now?) but I would certainly like to read it.

jade51999 --
    1) We don't know what happened to Basbakhan. That's another thread left dangling, incase another author wants to die it off. It could be important. One never knows.

2) My astronomy knowledge is from magazine, scientific journals, sf novels/movies, and a lifelong love.

3) Another good question. It was a group decision, leaving more options for future authors. Jacen hasn't QUITE figured it out, but he's close! I'm glad some people have picked that up.

Gandolf, not you, too! Oh, dear. This is funny. But I think I'll stick with Hope's suggestion. :D

Kathy

25. Maul Brady

Maul Brady Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 1999
    Hi all! And Kathy!

I just read the scene where Mara finds out she's preggie ;)
    i thought that Mara and Luke would act more happily and enthusiastic about the pregnancy.

But then again, you wouldn't be overtly happy and enthusiastic if you were pregnant WHILE having the HIV virus. You'd be actually more worried wether the baby will be infected or not (by miracle some babies dont hold the virus at all). So I guess that's why Luke and Mara reacted that way.

It's sad actually.

Wait-- it's a boy?!??!?! :( :( :( *pouts* I wanted a girl!
    (Amy stop reading the spoilersss!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.